Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Midjack posted:

Hook the region into the network before you build roads and about half the job will be done by other players after a few hours.

And let them get half the credit... Or worse, their name on the road? No thank you. I think there were a couple of sections I did 90% and let online finish it off but most of the roads have my name and max likes on them now. I actually built most of the roads long before the game expected you to go to those areas. This had the odd effect of ruining many musical set pieces. Some dramatic tune meant to signal the end of a scary journey through BT territory and over rainy mountain passes guarded by feral MULES.... Except I drove there in complete comfort and safety in 5 minutes and I'm already at the base before the song really kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Khanstant posted:

Lmao I think aim just the opposite of you. I absolutely loved the road building phase, and the advanced Zipline building phase that comes later. I've tried to set things up so that the only time I ever need to set foot in MULE territory is either a delivery requiring it or just driving or zipping by.

My zipline hyperfixation phase was funny because I could see the terrorists but they weren't activated. These dudes were just chilling when a gigantic metal quantum ski lift tower materialized right behind them and they didn't notice.

Scaling the mountains was such a pain too!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If the second game has a theme of “sometimes connections are bad” it would be neat if the bandits started using ziplines you created

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

My zipline hyperfixation phase was funny because I could see the terrorists but they weren't activated. These dudes were just chilling when a gigantic metal quantum ski lift tower materialized right behind them and they didn't notice.

Scaling the mountains was such a pain too!!

Oh my god, I have some Zip-Lines that I can practically see where the craters should be, ones you absolutely cannot disembark safely to upgrade, but are pinpoint perfect multi-connections by getting that little bit of extra height. Then I fall some scary distance right on the baby and I've never seen him so upset as when I was dickin around in BT adjacent areas while also too often falling face first into snow rocks. Carrying extras of chiral boots, terrain skele, and an ocean of blood and zip materials.

Some random mountain outcropping looking like chutes and ladders. Sadly... some of those were from connections from like a year ago so don't always work now. I wish the music last across the whole zip-line, or that we got a mgsv walkman. some of those long cold all-white blur zipline rides make me sleepy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I didn't realize that if I kicked a downed Mule that would knock them out for a prolonged period of time. No wonder all my mule camp raids turned into the Keystone Kops before I started doing this. Didn't realize there were two different icons to indicate who was rooted and who was out cold. So for the first time I was able to truly clear a camp and then take some time to bring my truck in and load up on stuff.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Oh yeah feel free to kick em after they're unconscious too. I'm not sure it's even possible to kill them that way. You can kick them for a long time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think if you knock out everyone that camp is disabled for a while too.

Edit: Ugh I forgot resting is a trap. I just went on a binge of repairing my ziplines, upgrading online others along the way, and then went to go take a lil walk and figured I'd throw Sam in a Shelter and save out and check shelter stuff next time. It was a mini shelter so I got pooted out immediately and got 12 notifications of all my poo poo deteriorating.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 17, 2024

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The mission with the nuclear bomb was weird, because the game straight up tells you what it is, but then the cinematic is staged like it's a big reveal. And it would've been, if the game hadn't already explained what it is.

Also I just received schematics for lethal weapons which seem like a bad idea since you're rarely going to be near a Kojima-approved method of body disposal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I really don't know why they made lethal weapons and so many of them. I didn't even use a single lethal weapon in any MGS game and you were allowed to kill anyone whenever. I wonder if Kojimas plays his games and if he does, is he a run n gunner, is that why they keep adding really stupid and clumsy violence options like lethal guns?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It does feel like there was some kind of statement that was being made with the whole "lethal weapons exist but there's no reason to ever use them" thing but it doesn't work very well. The fact that every single one of them has a 1:1 non-lethal equivalent doesn't help. They are useful in the "warzone" fights since that's all weird ghost stuff so you can go ham on them, but there's still no reason to ever make them because those fights will just give you weapons for free.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope no warzone in next game. I had to either change difficulty back to not Very Hard or use a trainer to get passed those. I never want to see or shoot a lethal gun in any videogame or reality. Lamest possible weapon and tool ever created.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I kind of feel like the lethal guns were provided because it would just be "realistic" for them to be there, since the non-lethal versions are mostly a melding of the BT handgun and existing firearms. Kind of like how we get the urine, feces, and sweat grenades, but also get the hematic grenades almost immediately after. There's basically no real reason to go back to the non-hematic grenades for fighting BTs and so they barely get any time to shine. But they're also an iterative step to getting to the hematic grenades, so they're included to show that off.

Maybe also so you can just have them without raiding terrorist camps, if you're so inclined to use them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Really I wouldn't complain at all if there was an achievement for crafting one of everything. And that's my problem for caring about a pointless system, but in that light I still hold it's unthematic to ask the player to make a bunch of stuff they should never actually use. Maybe if they were really effective against bosses but as far as I know they're just weak to bath n body works grenades.

Edit: Inspired sponsorship if they can get it.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
I suspect that these weapon balance oddities were caused by an expectation that players would be a lot more hesitant to spend blood to solve problems, but blood just isn't a scarce resource because you can fabricate blood bags very cheaply. If you only got the blood bags produced from resting in a shelter, the design would make a lot more sense.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I legit didnt realise you could fabricate blood on my first playthrough as it never occurred to me to check and never got close to running out as everywhere always had plenty from me sleeping

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, similar to weapons, the only situation where you really need to use a lot of blood bags is boss fights, where they will just give them to you for free, so it's not a particularly precious resource.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The real boss fight is always the drat controls anyway

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I subsist on donated blood from share lockers. There's something oddly comforting knowing the other Sam's got my back and now I can be as them.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

blakyoshi posted:

I suspect that these weapon balance oddities were caused by an expectation that players would be a lot more hesitant to spend blood to solve problems, but blood just isn't a scarce resource because you can fabricate blood bags very cheaply. If you only got the blood bags produced from resting in a shelter, the design would make a lot more sense.

Even without that, blood would still be trivially more abundant than the other grenades. You need to remember to chug Monster, eat cryptobiotes, and put yourself through muck and poo poo and generally play poorly and (unless you're going out just to get in trouble and not move stuff) put your cargo at risk to build up enough pee, poo, and grime to get a meaningful amount of the other grenades. Even just resting to get blood has no penalty, or you could eat cryptobiotes to replenish your health so you can use your hematic grenades even without blood bags.

A lot would have to be reworked, including just stretching out the time until you get hematic grenades so you're forced to experiment more with your poop bombs.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Stretching it out seems wise. Palworldfuckednup some of their progression by giving you flying so early. There's a couple levels where I was excited to get a mount and a glider pal/tool, but when I went to maybe upgrade either it turns out I unlocked a flyer and once you can fly you never need to really glide or climb or use a ground mount. They continue to add higher level ground mounts and gliders later on but it's like, why would you take the downgrade once you can fly?

Gotta give players time to get used to making do before giving them a magic bullet, that way those mechanics and items and gameplay can be used and the player can notice and appreciate the progression. Way it is now you might as well not bother with waste grenades because you get super blood stuff so soon after. Might as well use all yet piss for growing mushroom mounds with other peeers.

P.s. my buddy finally playing through the game and is loving it. His wife watched him play some the other day and he took great delight in demonstrating he was not just making a fake joke about the piss and poo poo nades.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
In general, the game seems reluctant to go too hard on the player, even on the highest difficulty. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to the sequel is thinking that Death Stranding's success will give them the confidence to kick my rear end more.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I'm on very hard and outside the trench sections it just feels normal. I used to be a lot more slow and careful but you can go pretty fast and not fall down so long as you grip press the shoulder buttons now and then.

I imagine the sequel will also make better use of some of the later editions. Directors Cut maps are littered with useless poo poo that I don't understand why they are there. Pointless ramps to nowhere, not that I've ever used em to get anywhere. Stupid package cannons like I'm just gonna send my poo poo out to rot in the rain. Tiny holographic bridges over totally walkable spaces. They couldn't find something useful in range of one of my ziplines say?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
As long as you dump the bodies out of the way (which in general means basically anywhere not between two points), you can kill as many people as you want. If you're real desperate for crystals, you can just make your own pile of bodies and then toss a grenade at it once they necro.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah I really don't know why they made lethal weapons and so many of them. I didn't even use a single lethal weapon in any MGS game and you were allowed to kill anyone whenever. I wonder if Kojimas plays his games and if he does, is he a run n gunner, is that why they keep adding really stupid and clumsy violence options like lethal guns?

They're actually fairly good against the big BTs, as long as you also bring hemo grenades to coat them first.

But yeah, the bigger reason is the overarching message of the game, that lethal weapons exist, but there's no reason to ever use them against other human beings. The world is hard enough as is.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whewf, I went from 15000 chiral crystals down to 2k just going around repairing ziplines and I still haven't reached the 2 hardest to reach ones that are totally broken and ruin my mountain network. I've been hoovering every place I deliver of crystal but it's never enough lol. Been on this save too long I guess.

I did just read that you can cheese the game by switching to very easy before resting in a shelter and then save out and change back once you're out to avoid the heavier deterioration on very hard.

I could just finish the game but it seems like every time I get close to completing every delivery they just make new ones. Is this some sort of radiant quests system or is there a really a set list of them?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

Whewf, I went from 15000 chiral crystals down to 2k just going around repairing ziplines and I still haven't reached the 2 hardest to reach ones that are totally broken and ruin my mountain network. I've been hoovering every place I deliver of crystal but it's never enough lol. Been on this save too long I guess.

I did just read that you can cheese the game by switching to very easy before resting in a shelter and then save out and change back once you're out to avoid the heavier deterioration on very hard.

I could just finish the game but it seems like every time I get close to completing every delivery they just make new ones. Is this some sort of radiant quests system or is there a really a set list of them?

You can get a shitload of crystals by intentionally getting grabbed by BTs and killing the boss that spawns.

There is a fixed list of deliveries in the game, but a lot of them are very generic - a good chunk of them are just "deliver resources to (location)" with the goal being that it just boosts up that location's stock of that resource. You really do not need to do every single delivery in the game.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Khanstant posted:

Upgrading instead of repairing is the most economical way to repair most structures, since a structure gets fully restored when upgraded, and all structures decay slower with each level of upgrade. Although that does require you to actually have enough materials on hand to apply the upgrade, and ziplines need chemicals which are the least-plentiful resource overall.

There are around 500 distinct standard deliveries, including a few dozen orders that are just reorders of deliveries from the main storyline (but only the ones that involve standard cargo case delivery; no boss fights, bombs, or corpse disposal). Standard orders at each location can repeat once you've exhausted the available ones there, so you might see the same orders multiple times if you take a bunch of standard orders earlier in the story when you haven't unlocked all the potential destinations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm at the end of the game and have been for a year, I've been playing this game for like 3 years lol. Just play a bit whenever I get the itch to deliver. I know I don't need to complete all deliveries, I just like delivering and want to see all Legend of Legend of Legend on every premium delivery. Just wanted to check there was a finite amount and they weren't just generating new ones once I did everything else.

Getting to a million likes is another arbitrary goal I'm not too far from at this point.

I was upgrading if I could but I am easily distracted so I'd end up on deliveries and had a stockpile of crystals from farming a while ago.

I'm also curious how online upgrades go, you definitely get me it seems if you're active in helping others but I assume it's asynchronous in some respect. I was taking random resources littered around structures to repair or upgrade a tiny bit and seemed like I'd get a notice not too long after that others chipped in too.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I thought the "lethal" weapons where there to fight BT's - like yeah you can use them against humans but their real usefulness is throwing blood at a BT then shooting the bloodied BT which causes damage to the BT because the bullet pushes the blood inside it.

I don't know if shooting a bloodied BT with non-lethal weapons works the same way.

Lethal-to-human weapons are for use on BTs.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

The higher level guns automagically fire blood bullets against BTs, both nonlethal and lethal. Maybe the lethal guns do more damage but I never felt that the rubber blood bullets weren’t doing enough so never found out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am pretty sure the lethal guns will deal more damage against BTs, but it's not like any of the fights are hard enough for it to be that big a deal (and again, in all the boss fights they just give you weapons for free so it doesn't really matter, you just use whatever gets tossed out of the goop at you).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I was excited to see my new road get constructed and I tore off on my truck to give it a test drive and found that it ended abruptly about 20 feet in the air. Didn't realize that they had transitions like that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah most of them end on the ground but once in a while you get an annoying fucker like that

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

yeah most of them end on the ground but once in a while you get an annoying fucker like that

You see "annoying fucker", I see "sick jump".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm tempted to pause the Sam missions and head back to the beginning area to see what sort of building I can do now that I have the truck and other helpful tools.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm tempted to pause the Sam missions and head back to the beginning area to see what sort of building I can do now that I have the truck and other helpful tools.
Not sure how much good a truck will do you in the first area, but going back with access to zip lines felt great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You see "annoying fucker", I see "sick jump".
true, unless it's one of the roads going by the weather station to mountain knot :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

granted the jump would still be pretty ill but hoo boy the landing lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I am pretty sure the lethal guns will deal more damage against BTs, but it's not like any of the fights are hard enough for it to be that big a deal (and again, in all the boss fights they just give you weapons for free so it doesn't really matter, you just use whatever gets tossed out of the goop at you).

Oh poo poo, I'm definitely gonna craft some next time I wanna farm the very hard mega lions. I actually have never used a lethal weapon so didn't even think about the BTs. Gotta craft everything for the achievement anyway, might as well go guns blazing for a chiral repair rampage spree. Actually 2 of my dead critical ziplines are on mountain peaks in BT areas. Yeah blood grenades do the job but it feels a bit slow and tense regardless. Baby stressing out etc. Maybe some blood uzis will help make a more comfortable atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Since it was time to head up into the mountains along the way I finished off that incomplete highway, so no more Dukes boys fun. At the waystation I built another stretch of road and then took my truck up into the mountains and although there were a few exciting moments I managed to get there. I don't think there's going to be a road leading up there any time soon.