Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That's Gurney, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I think it's pretty incredible that House Atreides troops have been trained by a famous gurney

The future is kind of crazy in the Dune universe

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

just another reason to rewatch the miniseries

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

aledesma posted:

q: how good is the dune miniseries? I would like to watch it after dunc2.

Also what is the right pronunciation for Harkonnen? the dunc or 1984/audiobook
For all of the weaknesses of the miniseries, Ian McNeice is the best Barron.

As for pronunciation, here's recordings of Frank Herbert's pronunciations of a bunch of words and names from his own narration:
https://usul.net/books/sounds.htm

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Wonder if Zendaya's outfit comes in 2XL so I can wear it to IMAX

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
so CHAY-knee is the Official pronunciation? bah gawd!

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
The good news is you have permission to pronounce it however you want.

The enclosed:

uh tray'uh deez nuts

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Haaaaar-co-NAAAAAAAN is the proper and only way.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
That's what I say when they bring out the flat bread at the Indian restaurant.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
HAR(K)onnAN.

Like Kimi

And the other fella who is his Dad.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeehaw, declarin' a juh hawd on Joe Biden

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I saw the Lynch Dune in a theater yesterday. It was better than I remember it. There were times where I felt like they were over explaining things, just repeating exposition that the audience already had. But maybe that is just my perception as someone familiar with the story and the fact that the film came out 40 years ago.

Also the theater was a little too loud for me, which detracted from the experience.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Martman posted:

Yeah seems weird to change the pronunciation of an actual word lifted to create some exotic mystique around future space pope

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Martman posted:

Going to the see aitch to see my bee aitch.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

muscles like this! posted:

Going to the see aitch to see my bee aitch.

O gently caress you.

I was going to post “see aitch better have my spice”.

but also well done ; not actually gently caress you

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

deoju posted:

I saw the Lynch Dune in a theater yesterday. It was better than I remember it. There were times where I felt like they were over explaining things, just repeating exposition that the audience already had. But maybe that is just my perception as someone familiar with the story and the fact that the film came out 40 years ago.

Also the theater was a little too loud for me, which detracted from the experience.

There was absolutely pressure from the studio to explain as much as possible- like according to Lynch they were pushing a lot of the inner-voice dubbing to make sure certain points got across, and at some theaters they handed out a little pamphlet explaining some of the details like what the Landsraad was and all. Though at the same time they were the ones who wanted to make sure the film wasn't too long so individual scenes really just whiz by.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was that kind of thing common in old sci-fi movies? Feels like Star Wars might have been a big trend breaker in that way as well, despite the iconic opening crawl it mostly dives straight into the action and lets the audience catch up through context and themes with minimal proper exposition.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

TerminalSaint posted:

The good news is you have permission to pronounce it however you want.

The enclosed:

uh tray'uh deez nuts

This guide explains some of the stranger pronunciations from the actors in Dune 2000. John Rhys Davies pronouncing sietch that way and the Emperor saying "uh-trey-uh-deez" and literally no one else saying it that way

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was that kind of thing common in old sci-fi movies? Feels like Star Wars might have been a big trend breaker in that way as well, despite the iconic opening crawl it mostly dives straight into the action and lets the audience catch up through context and themes with minimal proper exposition.

I think it was a unique issue with Dune being as... complex as it is.

Like most sci-fi movies before then had a point of reference of "like now, but in The Future!" Something like Metropolis might need a few scenes to establish its setting, but a lot of films just needed a scene or two of a scientist type explaining things. 2001, as heady as it gets sometimes, quickly establishes in the Blue Danube sequence that we're out in space now but civilization hasn't changed much. And Star Wars took place in another galaxy but it was a simple fairy tale with a backdrop of "Evil Empire, good Rebels." I think studios were trying to figure out just how weird you could get and just how you could explain a whole new setting to people, and here you had a movie that needs maybe more than three paragraphs of setup.

Of course, one of the things I love about the Lynch movie is just how alien its world feels, and how it does sorta feel like you're getting just a glimpse of what's there. Herbert's novel is written in a way that sort of emphasizes how all these millennia of technological and mental progress have changed humanity, while still being subject to the same patterns of greed, exploitation, etc. It's rare for a sci-fi movie to convey a truly different world because having some frame of reference for the viewer is such an advantage. If the audience gets that Luke Skywalker is just a common farmboy, that the Enterprise is kinda like a navy ship, etc., they're more likely to go along with things. It's harder to explain what a Landsraad is.

Villeneuve's version is more "relatable" in some ways- the characters act more naturally, or at least there are more little moments to establish things ("Use the Voice")- and it's quite clever in how it condenses the story without compromising anything too important. Like we don't strictly need to know that the Duke and the Baron have an existing rivalry, it's enough to know the Baron's pissed because he wants to make money off Arrakis. But I think it also benefits from nearly forty years in between of audiences getting exposed to gradually more elaborate sci-fi and fantasy; if you saw any of Game of Thrones you get the idea of noble houses fighting for power.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's a point. Probably one of the reasons they gave Dune another shot was because its themes and trappings are now a lot more popular, back in the 70s I think most medieval-type stories would probably be King Arthur or Robin Hood merry jaunts with knights and damsels still played somewhat unironically and associated black and white morality, not sure you had many feuding factions type stories with less unambiguous moral lines. (Besides Romeo and Juliet, oddly enough)

Wondering if the special effects advances help there too. Star Wars certainly starts by introducing cool poo poo as a hook to get the audience invested in what the cool poo poo is, while Dune may not be as confident in the effects it has to sell the weird poo poo to an audience having it all bombarded at them.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

This is such a weird take.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It’s a weird take that Hollywood makes decisions based on economics and market research?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

It’s a weird take that Hollywood makes decisions based on economics and market research?

It's a weird take that in the '70 most of the medieval movies were "King Arthur or Robin Hood merry jaunts with knights and damsels still played somewhat unironically and associated black and white morality"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Maxwell Lord posted:

Villeneuve's version is more "relatable" in some ways- the characters act more naturally, or at least there are more little moments to establish things ("Use the Voice")- and it's quite clever in how it condenses the story without compromising anything too important. Like we don't strictly need to know that the Duke and the Baron have an existing rivalry, it's enough to know the Baron's pissed because he wants to make money off Arrakis. But I think it also benefits from nearly forty years in between of audiences getting exposed to gradually more elaborate sci-fi and fantasy; if you saw any of Game of Thrones you get the idea of noble houses fighting for power.

I just saw dunc1 and I honestly kinda felt like this hurt the movie. After a decade of Star Wars sequels, Game of Throneses, and a billion prestige streaming shows, the script came across as almost mundane, almost like it was missing a layer of intrigue and weirdness. They're so efficient about setting up the plot and backstory that it leaves a lot of space for extra stuff on top. I would also love a longer cut that has more odd flavor stuff like the spider-creature (was that Yueh's wife? I would love if it if that was Yueh's wife).

Definitely looking forward to seeing dunc2 - I don't really know what happens in the second half of the book but I wanna see more of those Big Ships.

edit: oh man how great would it have been if the baron had turned Yueh into one of those spider things? then it's like "tee hee, you DO get to be with your wife!"

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 20, 2024

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's a weird take that in the '70 most of the medieval movies were "King Arthur or Robin Hood merry jaunts with knights and damsels still played somewhat unironically and associated black and white morality"

I can’t think of any from the 70s but Excalibur is probably a close enough example. And there were probably some older folks around in that era who were old enough to have been raised on Errol Flynn

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jewmanji posted:

I can’t think of any from the 70s but Excalibur is probably a close enough example. And there were probably some older folks around in that era who were old enough to have been raised on Errol Flynn

Excalibur is your example of a simple black and white, good and evil, merry jaunt? It's a lot closer to Lynch's Dune than it is to Errol Flynn.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Really underrated King Arthur movie: Lancelot Du Lac by Robert Bresson.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Cutthroat aristocratic politics is classic Shakespearean stuff, not exactly something the general public has never heard of. It's true that GoT confirmed this stuff could be successful even with a pharaonic budget, but it's more a question of degree.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Excalibur is weird but had the advantage of people having base familiarity with King Arthur and all that. It’s not a completely new fantasy world. (Also it’s not like Excalibur had been a huge movie- it seems to have been profitable but that’s because it cost only 10 million.)

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
I'm ready for the review embargo to lift

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Excalibur is weird but had the advantage of people having base familiarity with King Arthur and all that. It’s not a completely new fantasy world. (Also it’s not like Excalibur had been a huge movie- it seems to have been profitable but that’s because it cost only 10 million.)

So it's not "in the '70 most of the medieval movies were King Arthur or Robin Hood merry jaunts with knights and damsels still played somewhat unironically and associated black and white morality", It's "in the '70 most of the top of the charts blockbuster fantasy movies were merry jaunts with knights and damsels still played somewhat unironically and associated black and white morality"?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Benny Jazz Riffs.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

YggdrasilTM posted:

So it's not "in the '70 most of the medieval movies were King Arthur or Robin Hood merry jaunts with knights and damsels still played somewhat unironically and associated black and white morality", It's "in the '70 most of the top of the charts blockbuster fantasy movies were merry jaunts with knights and damsels still played somewhat unironically and associated black and white morality"?

In the 70s most of the top of the charts blockbuster movies weren't fantasies. So what fantasy movies you got ranged from fairly black and white stuff (the Ray Harryhausen Sinbad sequels, which did well but were still "B" pictures) to weirder things like Bakshi's Wizards. Star Wars really did mark a shift towards sci-fi and fantasy becoming "A" genres and box office leaders in a way they hadn't been before.

And again I think it's less the moral complexity of something like Dune and more the sheer conceptual complexity. Dune is a story about the machinations and political games of nobility, an economy dependent on a magical drug that makes interstellar navigation possible, the manipulation of prophecy, eugenics, also giant worms everywhere. It's like Lord of the Rings but even harder to explain in a logline.

(And it's worth noting that around the time Lynch's Dune flopped, big genre movies shifted more towards ones that were set in "the real world" with one or more sci-fi/fantasy elements, after the example set by E.T.)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't know, is Dune really that complicated? I know there's a whole bunch of backstory and other details but when you get down to it, it's pretty basic: a few factions under an emperor (and we really only get to know two of them), a shadowy cabal trying to breed a prophet, and a planet full of magic powder that lets humans do cool things. "Cocky space prince must save inhospitable desert planet from sadistic villain"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Star Wars was famously a reaction to the morally Grey anti hero science fiction pessimism of the 70s. Or so I hear. I wasn't around!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't know, is Dune really that complicated? I know there's a whole bunch of backstory and other details but when you get down to it, it's pretty basic: a few factions under an emperor (and we really only get to know two of them), a shadowy cabal trying to breed a prophet, and a planet full of magic powder that lets humans do cool things. "Cocky space prince must save inhospitable desert planet from sadistic villain"

I mean sure you can reduce it down that way, but that doesn't reflect what makes Dune unique. It's the agglomeration of all the weird poo poo and the details of the world that make Dune "Dune". The basic sequence of events that Paul experiences is, from a 30,000 ft view, very straightforward because it's supposed to be archetypal. The interest is in the details.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think you have to be clear if you mean just dune 1: dunes of dune, or the dune series in some broader way. Book 1 there's an argument, but even by book 2 when paul is hitler times a million or whatever things go pretty well off the rails

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I mean sure you can reduce it down that way, but that doesn't reflect what makes Dune unique. It's the agglomeration of all the weird poo poo and the details of the world that make Dune "Dune". The basic sequence of events that Paul experiences is, from a 30,000 ft view, very straightforward because it's supposed to be archetypal. The interest is in the details.

Yeah, you can make Dune sound as simple as A New Hope if you're being glib, but it really isn't comparable. The Empire has a coherent political system that matters to the characters, the Bene Gesserit have an agenda and motivations and aren't just spooky wizards, you've got two separate scarce resources that limit characters' scope of actions, there's what, twice or three times the number of characters and you have five or six separate factions and multiple characters with divided loyalties. Just in the first book!

You can handwave that away as "backstory and details" but it's what the story is.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The one scene in DUNC I don't really care for is Jessica and Mohiam in the rain, and then Paul discovering he's "the one". That's an example of where the reduction down to its essential elements makes it sound fairly cliche and lame.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, you can make Dune sound as simple as A New Hope if you're being glib, but it really isn't comparable. The Empire has a coherent political system that matters to the characters, the Bene Gesserit have an agenda and motivations and aren't just spooky wizards, you've got two separate scarce resources that limit characters' scope of actions, there's what, twice or three times the number of characters and you have five or six separate factions and multiple characters with divided loyalties. Just in the first book!

You can handwave that away as "backstory and details" but it's what the story is.

Yeah I mean at various points in the book our main character, who is going on a very basic hero's journey, is referred to by like 6 different names (Paul Atreides, the Kwisatz Haderach, the Lisan al-gaib, the Mahdi, Usul, Muad'dib). And each one of those names has like, an actual reason and context behind it- it's not reallysuperfluous, it's what gives Dune its color.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The trailers do at least make it look like they're gonna delve some into "Being the one may not be a good thing at all."