Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

hailthefish posted:

comedy option: starts with no timeskip, then after 20 minutes does a timeskip

I thought this is confirmed what it was going to be months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
movie starts with worm thing with tiny arms and human face on a cart

time skip motherfuckers

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally got to watching it but man they made weird decisions in what they changed. loving gorgeous though

Tbh I'd have liked keeping Kynes around if they were making an actual character there, the actress was great lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Philthy posted:

movie starts with worm thing with tiny arms and human face on a cart

time skip motherfuckers

No plastic dick no sale

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I finally got to watching it but man they made weird decisions in what they changed. loving gorgeous though

Tbh I'd have liked keeping Kynes around if they were making an actual character there, the actress was great lol

that's one of my problems with it. craziest cast in recent memory and most of them don't get a chance to do much of anything.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

uber_stoat posted:

that's one of my problems with it. craziest cast in recent memory and most of them don't get a chance to do much of anything.

I was gobsmacked that they got away with promoting Zendaya so hard - and that she even took the role. She has like three lines after the opening narration and exists solely to foreshadow part two which hadn't even been greenlit.. The poster and trailers made her look like the female lead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

stev posted:

I was gobsmacked that they got away with promoting Zendaya so hard - and that she even took the role. She has like three lines after the opening narration and exists solely to foreshadow part two which hadn't even been greenlit.. The poster and trailers made her look like the female lead.

And then there's the robot stripper costume. Frankly I respect owning it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

zendaya is a queen. ironic, given the plot of 2

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

RBA Starblade posted:

cutting Kynes' lecture from their father was a huge loss imo

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

kalel posted:

zendaya is a queen. ironic, given the plot of 2

History will call her queen.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Cuckqueanin

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

stev posted:

Indeed, who in their right mind would accept tons of money for a few days work?

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Not sure if anyone else's Youtube feed is plagued by endless "New Final Again" trailers that are always just a sample of the existing clips in a new order. And I'm a sucker every time.

6 more days

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jewmanji posted:

Indeed, who in their right mind would accept tons of money for a few days work?

I'm not sure about the filming schedule for Part One since there were all the COVID delays (like it was basically done by 2020 right?) but she was probably pretty busy around that time, a few scenes as Chani was probably all she had time for.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Chani:
What do you call the Stonekeeper's daughter and the secret leader of the Smallfoot Evidentiary Society?

Stilgar:
We call that one, Mee'chee.

Chani:
Could I be known as Chani Mee'chee?

Stilgar:
You are Chani Mee'chee.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm not sure about the filming schedule for Part One since there were all the COVID delays (like it was basically done by 2020 right?) but she was probably pretty busy around that time, a few scenes as Chani was probably all she had time for.

Filming wrapped in mid-July 2019.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Wonder if Paul will be handed Jamis’s wife and kids, assuming that’s cut out lol

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Scarabrae posted:

Wonder if Paul will be handed Jamis’s wife and kids, assuming that’s cut out lol

Played by Anya Taylor-Joy

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Buttchocks posted:

Entire movie is played by ATJ gholas wearing different outfits and wigs.

Scarabrae posted:

I wondered if that was Harah making fun of him at the worm ride clip or if she's just a rando character. Kinda seems like something Harah would do.

Scags McDouglas fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 25, 2024

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Buttchocks posted:

Wait really? Seems an odd casting choice for Harah

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
She's actually much more weirdly cast than that.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
I mean if it were later in the story I think she would be great as Alia, unless it is her in some Paul future vision stuff.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Scarabrae posted:

I mean if it were later in the story I think she would be great as Alia, unless it is her in some Paul future vision stuff.

Sorry, didn't realize you were being serious before.

It's almost certain she's Alia as a vision. Dennis chose not to cast a child.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Rumor/spoiler stuff:

Hearing that Alia isn't really in it and therefore doesn't kill the Baron, and also hearing that Paul and Chani don't have (and then lose) their first baby is kinda disappointing as I think both of these things are really significant events in the lives of multiple characters. I think the movie sounds really good otherwise but those have put a damper on my expectations a bit. I think I can see the reasons for both decisions but will find out on Friday.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Fremen Friday, it's a-comin'.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Also I wonder if they cut Paul’s first infant son getting killed in the assassination attempt but able to warn Paul, been awhile since I read the book but I thought that happening was Paul making the choice to drink the water of life in order gain full god powers since he failed to see that coming.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
They can just say something about the Emperor hiding behind Guild Navigators so Paul needs to take the waters of life.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Its gonna be a time skip all the way to Marty and Daniel, commenting on the movie like Statler and Waldorf, or MST3k

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Scarabrae posted:

Also I wonder if they cut Paul’s first infant son getting killed in the assassination attempt but able to warn Paul, been awhile since I read the book but I thought that happening was Paul making the choice to drink the water of life in order gain full god powers since he failed to see that coming.

That was a combination of factors, wasn't it? Leto II's death, Gurney trying to kill Jessica. I feel like there was a third thing, but definitely Gurney was the thing that sealed the deal that he needed more prescience

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

ephori posted:

Its gonna be a time skip all the way to Marty and Daniel, commenting on the movie like Statler and Waldorf, or MST3k

"Endless sequels in plot for the Leto II ghola to just get eaten by a big ol sandworm"

"Biggest letdown since Brian Herbert"

ho ho ho ho :stat: :wal:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm seated for it now. Decided to do it up and get some popcorn, which I never do and ended up getting too much popcorn.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Want a god emperor comedy smash cut of all the crazy ways he killed Duncan over millenia

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BastardySkull posted:

Rumor/spoiler stuff:

Hearing that Alia isn't really in it and therefore doesn't kill the Baron, and also hearing that Paul and Chani don't have (and then lose) their first baby is kinda disappointing as I think both of these things are really significant events in the lives of multiple characters. I think the movie sounds really good otherwise but those have put a damper on my expectations a bit. I think I can see the reasons for both decisions but will find out on Friday.

Regarding the omission of Leto 1, I think this was absolutely the correct decision. It's weird enough in the books, but it'd be doubly weird to insert a baby into the film only to kill it offscreen. Paul is already experiencing enough grief from the death of his other friends and loved ones, I don't think killing his baby son would really add anything to the movie. From what I gather, the ending of the film is notably dark (even for people familiar with the book), so it sounds like it won't be lacking for tragedy.

Alia on the other hand, that's a heartbreaking omission for me.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Regarding the omission of Leto 1, I think this was absolutely the correct decision. It's weird enough in the books, but it'd be doubly weird to insert a baby into the film only to kill it offscreen. Paul is already experiencing enough grief from the death of his other friends and loved ones, I don't think killing his baby son would really add anything to the movie. From what I gather, the ending of the film is notably dark (even for people familiar with the book), so it sounds like it won't be lacking for tragedy.

Alia on the other hand, that's a heartbreaking omission for me.

Re; Leto II the First, yeah I can see the reasoning, but if I remember rightly Paul barely reacts to it because he's so Kwizats-brained by that point so I wondered how that would pan out on screen. I think what you're saying is right in that there's plenty of opportunity for that anyway.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

*lady vocalizing while I overcome the urge to click on spoilers*

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

kalel posted:

*lady vocalizing while I overcome the urge to click on spoilers*

:hmmyes:

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

btw saw part of the first EP of the miniseries, it has some weird choices, like the part where Paul says that he is not on the mood happens at the end unlike dunc and the book.

Also as another poster mentioned, Paul’s actor is distracting. Timothee is not 15 but he has a baby face so you can accept it

The Emperor tho is a good cast. Need to see more

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol, they played the "welcome to the movie" video, then nothing happened.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I'm seated for it now. Decided to do it up and get some popcorn, which I never do and ended up getting too much popcorn.

It's not March 1st? Why do you get to be special??? gently caress YOU!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well I'm not actually watching it yet because someone messed up and everybody is just sitting in the theater.