Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hm, I do note that the triangle Law Rune is being used for Jadis' Father.

It is also interesting to see how much failure fundamentally defines every last one of the demiurges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
had a tab with this half formed post that i'm not gonna really flesh out but gonna just thow in here:

paranoid randroid posted:

There's an interesting parallel in Allison being the barista in over her head and Gog Agog being the silly, faceless, idiot god developing into the Rising King and the Mass who's word is Beast respectively

Gog is basically what anything Lovecraftian could be in K6BD as a setting, but i think specifically Hastur.

Swap yellow for green, king for queen, alright good

theatrical sensibility, check
older than time, check
seething mass of madness, check
sinuous mark, check

yeah ok goog agog greart
(the cover one with her on king of swords lookin like a lil creep vs the king in yellow is not super similar like i remembered, i was gonna slam the pics in but eh)

but it's also beyond the surface reading, in the sense of assumed forms. there's this fake transmigration or w/e where hastur starts out as a prehistoric god of maybe hunters > then herders > apotropaic god of warding off beasts ? > ??? > having an infuence over book / story / tale / pageantry / crap like that. There's a connection if you squint your brain hard. You can sort of see it. sort of a seething underneath. fermenting ideas. Gog also has this looooong kind of chrysalis phase in the text and meta textually.

Also compare the obscure quotes in the beginning and the end of Blood Meridian and other stuff from McCarthy to Gog's various motifs:
(The whole thing with the holes in the ground vs say, if gog was hanging out with like 2 spoopy torches instead of swords on the king of swords cover instead would maybe work.)
The quotes in the beginning do work.

Paul Valéry posted:

Your ideas are terrifying and your hearts are faint. Your acts of pity and cruelty are absurd, committed with no calm, as if they were irresistible. Finally, you fear blood more and more. Blood and time.

Jakob Böhme posted:

It is not to be thought that the life of darkness is sunk in misery and lost as if in sorrowing. There is no sorrowing. For sorrow is a thing that is swallowed up in death, and death and dying are the very life of the darkness.

Desmond Clark and Tim D. White posted:

a 300,000-year-old fossil skull . . . shows evidence of having been scalped.

The Crossing posted:

Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place. And that is what was to be found here. The corrido. The tale. And like all corridos it ultimately told one story only, for there is only one to tell.
(had to double check these because some rear end in a top hat destroyed my copies)

The form is the story is the memory is the survival is the violence and is not ever letting go gog is maxxing and will live forever in perfect failure outside time until it gets right up to the point where something could almost just be different

then poo poo's gonna go really bonkers.

Josef bugman posted:

Hm, I do note that the triangle Law Rune is being used for Jadis' Father.

It is also interesting to see how much failure fundamentally defines every last one of the demiurges.

well, yeah, that's what a demiurge is, mostly, isn't it?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
tl;dr it's just narrative happenstance that Gog is Queen and Green and Worms (so, aesthetic purposeful decision) instead of straight up Literally Hastur, is what I guess I'm saying. Otherwise they'd both be Bearer of the Word Beast or whatever equivalent, I think.

If the war for the keys had shaken out slightly differently gog could have decided to have been some dude or whatever the gently caress and it would be the exact same thing except the demiurges would be differently distributed on the color wheel, and to be cynical it would probably sell fewer comics to have some creep that reeks like cig butts and incense instead of her. Besides the whole thing would be unbalanced all the way back.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Speaking of Blood Meridian, someone mentioned the Judge, but this bit that is about the only dip into Glanton's psychology is pretty apt:

quote:

He watched the fire and if he saw portents there it was much the same to him. He would live to look upon the western sea and he was equal to whatever might follow for he was complete at every hour. Whether his history should run concomitant with men and nations, whether it should cease. He'd long forsworn all weighing of consequence and allowing as he did that men's destinies are given yet he usurped to contain within him all that he would ever be in the world and all that the world would be to him and be his charter written in the urstone itself he claimed agency and said so and he'd drive the remorseless sun on to its final endarkenment as if he'd ordered it all ages since, before there were paths anywhere, before there were men or suns to go upon them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fatalism is a theme through most of McCarthy’s work so there’s bound to be a few overlaps

quote:

Choice is the name you give to what you got.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
While that's true, there's something defiant and almost royal about it.

"...he was equal to whatever might follow for he was complete at every hour" is a sentence that has got stuck in my head since I first read the book.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Elissimpark posted:

While that's true, there's something defiant and almost royal about it.

"...he was equal to whatever might follow for he was complete at every hour" is a sentence that has got stuck in my head since I first read the book.

Same, honestly. Glanton is not a good man or even in the vicinity of good, but he is someone who could see the Shape and it would not break him. Be his charter written in the urstone itself he claimed agency.

Amor fati in the rawest and most amoral form imaginable.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

we have incubus at home

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
who called it??

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
My only question is whether Gog's thought bubbles are out loud.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Brain Candy posted:

we have incubus at home

Not really even an Incubus thing though, this comic has been a conga line of demiurges asking Alison to become them. "Take the burden of this blood throne from me," "Best me in combat so I can bequeath my kingdoms to a ruler as strong as I was," "Look into the void of omniscience and internalize your own lack of agency, like I did," "Eat this worm." It never stops!

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 24, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Every time she's like "gently caress u no" or "eh OK wait no" and it doesn't work. Mammon / himself still hasn't fired off I guess.

How the hell does gog not realize how she lost her eye? Will that not gently caress up gog to see that also? How the hell would that even play out?

But gog supposedly has been defeated via rear end kicking before, if the bullshit jag has been talking about was true. Maybe she just... taps out for a while somehow. How she brings all that back in, mystifying

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
None of them are happy being who they are (or were). Some of them thought that if Allison became them, they could go and be someone else.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Thought bubbles??

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Jagganoth just said "Yo give me the key"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

She'll eat the worm this time but it will do nothing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

None of them are happy being who they are (or were). Some of them thought that if Allison became them, they could go and be someone else.

and in gog's case, she'd get to be allison. the special one

gog-as-envy coming into full play here

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

rannum posted:

She'll eat the worm this time but it will do nothing

"could use a little seasoning"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I aten't been Gog'ed, you've been Weatherwaxed Allison'ed!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

had a tab with this half formed post that i'm not gonna really flesh out but gonna just thow in here:

Gog is basically what anything Lovecraftian could be in K6BD as a setting, but i think specifically Hastur.

It sounds like you're already aware, but for anyone who isn't - Hastur is part of the modern Cthulhu mythos, but it's worth pointing out he isn't actually Lovecraftian. He was Lovecraft's primary inspiration, but he predates Lovecraft (by quite a bit) and it was Derleth that properly added him to the mythos. Lovecraft only mentioned him in passing, largely as a shout out to Chambers (and Chambers didn't invent him either, although he did popularize him). Hastur's changing nature over time is largely due to the sequence of authors each doing their own thing with him as he passed from hand to hand.

Just an interesting tidbit.

also I really should read blood meridian at some point

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
A demiurge finally gets to have Allison take over to free them from their circumstances ‘cause Allison eats the worm and Gog is now all Allisons. One is dressed like sailor moon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

Thought bubbles??

Have there ever been thought bubbles in this comic before?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I aten't been Gog'ed, you've been Weatherwaxed Allison'ed!

The supreme act of Furious Dumbassery.

Though it'd certainly be a thing if Allison decided the only way to win was to use Gog mode to exist through an arbitrary number of cycles until she figures out how to create an ending that's acceptable to her.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Though it'd certainly be a thing if Allison decided the only way to win was to use Gog mode to exist through an arbitrary number of cycles until she figures out how to create an ending that's acceptable to her.

I don't think we're going that way. Groundhog Daying it is what Gog tried, and now she's a pile of frustration and Too Many Memories.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ditocoaf posted:

I don't think we're going that way. Groundhog Daying it is what Gog tried, and now she's a pile of frustration and Too Many Memories.

Yeah, Gog's prison is trying everything she can think of and getting nowhere. And as always, offering her way to Allison is the wrong path.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Fister Roboto posted:

Have there ever been thought bubbles in this comic before?

Not that I remember, unless it was like Zoss talking to himself inside Alison's mind, or really a scene in someone's mind where a character was talking.

Gog's gotta be doing it out loud I'd say.

Also the Mccarthy derail: blood meridian is a book where no good thing happens. That's what you're getting into. Extremely American ofc.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Why are Gog's pupils sponsored by Chevrolet

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Lobe posted:

Thought bubbles??

Yeah, that caught me off guard, too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Gog knows how audiences work, stage whispers and thought bubbles were perfected by her fifth loop

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

This is literally Nietzsche’s eternal return. Gog’s offering the chance to not make the same mistakes, to get it right, to not be this person. It’s cleverly inverted but the principle is the same: if you could be someone who isn’t you, would you? If you could do it all again would you choose differently or can you love your fate, love the path that brought you through hell?

Once again, Allison’s superpower is Amor Fati, and I fully believe that she can beat Gog down.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This is actually an interesting choice. From Allison's perspective, she could could conceivably take control of the mass and exert her will to create a better outcome that sticks, eventually. And from Gog's end, there's no downside. With or without Allison, she's still Gog.

I think, though, that she's smart enough at this point to realize that if Gog hasn't been able to do it all these other times, there's no question Gog + Allison is just going to just continue to perpetuate the violence. It's not a great deal for Allison, other than the fact that there won't be an "Allison" to even care either way if she goes through with it.

(Plus she already knows she doesn't do it. She dies in 35 years. If she's Gog, that can't happen.)

Edit: Oh! Oh! Also, this is what Zoss has already been doing and failing at. Not great odds here, I'd say.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 24, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
plus the text beneath the comic all but says gog-agog is a schmuck for making this offer a second time

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

(Plus she already knows she doesn't do it. She dies in 35 years. If she's Gog, that can't happen.)

Technically, the prophecy came with the disclaimer, "As you understand it". Allison could very easily join Gog now, have her personality overwritten at this very moment, but have her body be paraded around for the next 35 years before Gog discards it, ending its metabolism and bringing about death as Allison understands it. Well, easily if she weren't the protagonist and almost certain to survive this encounter.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Oxxidation posted:

plus the text beneath the comic all but says gog-agog is a schmuck for making this offer a second time

nah, its saying gog a gog is a schmuck for knowingly playing out the same loving thing for a trillion years of cycles

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Imo death “as you understand it” is trying to dodge the “what if it’s ego death/some sort of mystic reincarnation of the self/etc. that still counts rather than a REAL death” arguments cheapening the stakes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ravenson posted:

Technically, the prophecy came with the disclaimer, "As you understand it". Allison could very easily join Gog now, have her personality overwritten at this very moment, but have her body be paraded around for the next 35 years before Gog discards it, ending its metabolism and bringing about death as Allison understands it. Well, easily if she weren't the protagonist and almost certain to survive this encounter.

Maybe, but she knows Gog's idea can't work the way Gog is saying because one way or another she dies in 35 years. Allison knows immortality is impossible for her.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Gog's made some great faces lately

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Okay, I didn't expect Gog to actually have the power to go back in time, unless it was in the sense of "surviving the end of the world until the next iteration". Which is maybe what this is.

Surprising choice of dialogue to introduce thought bubbles too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

YaketySass posted:

Okay, I didn't expect Gog to actually have the power to go back in time, unless it was in the sense of "surviving the end of the world until the next iteration". Which is maybe what this is.

It's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Gog has thought bubbles because Gog thought it would be funny to have them. Roger Rabbit toontown rules.