Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

:stare:

Ok, I'm listening.

Cyberpunk 2077 called and wants its pickup design back. Also, it’s like they tried to make it as ugly as possible.

I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s basically made for Thailand, so it’s going to have minimal safety design and probably zero active safety features. That part’s whatever. Passive safety (eg crumple zones) are also probably not great, but the engines are actually fairly up to date (and used in other vans/trucks in advanced markets) so might pass smog.

Toyota made a new truck to match the requirements of older commercial pickup trucks but with smarter design and modern engines. Can see the appeal, but I wouldn’t want to get in an accident in one anymore than I would a 1980s 4Runner.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure I've seen the BYD Seagull a few months ago when videos from China started coming out but another one popped up in YT so I had a look again.

Its claim to fame is that it's a $12k EV that isn't a complete piece of poo poo like the Changli or something. Now obviously that's the price in China without taxes, possibliy including state subsidies, shortcuts on safety, slave labor, whatever. What's interesting though is where they didn't cheap out.

Vents you control with your fingers. Physical clicky buttons on steering wheel. Stalks. Two displays, the large one rotates. A glove box with a manual latch (not visible obviously).

Seperate button for each window, locks and mirror adjustments. Physical door levers.

A small panel with a gear selector, drive modes, A/C and volume controls.

It's not that buttons are free, but this makes me think they really wouldn't be saving that much by sticking everything into the screen. Or they would've done that on the super-cheap car. Even if all this luxury cost BYD something crazy like $1k (or 10% of the whole car!), then that's something I think the likes of Volvo or VW could afford to do on their $50k car/suv things

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Pretty sure I've seen the BYD Seagull a few months ago when videos from China started coming out but another one popped up in YT so I had a look again.

Its claim to fame is that it's a $12k EV that isn't a complete piece of poo poo like the Changli or something. Now obviously that's the price in China without taxes, possibliy including state subsidies, shortcuts on safety, slave labor, whatever. What's interesting though is where they didn't cheap out.

Vents you control with your fingers. Physical clicky buttons on steering wheel. Stalks. Two displays, the large one rotates. A glove box with a manual latch (not visible obviously).

Seperate button for each window, locks and mirror adjustments. Physical door levers.

A small panel with a gear selector, drive modes, A/C and volume controls.

It's not that buttons are free, but this makes me think they really wouldn't be saving that much by sticking everything into the screen. Or they would've done that on the super-cheap car. Even if all this luxury cost BYD something crazy like $1k (or 10% of the whole car!), then that's something I think the likes of Volvo or VW could afford to do on their $50k car/suv things

VAG's 2023 operating profit was $22.5 billion, it's not that they can't afford to put in physical controls without increasing the price of the car, they just want to squeeze every last drop of profit possible out of their paypigs.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8amRg2n-L6o

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2025-kia-tasman-ute-formally-confirmed/

quote:

Kia Australia has formally confirmed plans to unveil its first ute before the end of this year ahead of showroom arrivals next year.

Expressions of interest have opened for the diesel dual-cab Toyota HiLux and Ford Ranger rival, which is all but confirmed to wear the Tasman name after the badge was trademarked by Kia late last year.

Kia promises it will be the company's "most Australian product ever", with Australia at the centre of the ute's development, and its suspension to be tuned for local roads.

While a TV commercial aired by the South Korean car giant – starring 20 of Australia's top sporting stars – yesterday implies the name is yet to be decided, a series of 'Easter eggs' leave little doubt it will be called the Tasman.

At the 56-second mark a dart lands on the Tasman Sea text on a map – the body of water separating Australia and New Zealand – while the name of the pub in the advertisement starts with 'Hotel Tas-'.

Less obvious is the newspaper in the first few seconds of the ad, which references a 4x4 vehicle named 'The Tasman' – in a story titled 'Kia Ute Set for Australia' – while a photo of Dutch explorer Abel Tasman, after whom the sea is named, is seen in the background of another shot.

Alongside the TV commercial – and opening of expressions of interest – Kia has teased the silhouette of its new ute on its website (top of story), with a taller, blockier profile than Australia's top-selling Ford Ranger and Toyota HiLux.

Drive has previously reported the Kia Tasman is due in Australian showrooms in mid 2025 with diesel power, ahead of an electric version a year or two later.

It has been photographed testing in South Korea and Sweden, the latter in the snow alongside a Ford Ranger Raptor.

The HiLux and Ranger have been identified as benchmarks for the ute, which will use diesel power, and is said to be targeting a 3500kg towing capacity and 1000kg payload.

It will use heavy-duty underpinnings, with spy photos showing leaf-spring rear suspension, and four-wheel-drive capability on sealed surfaces – as with certain Ford Ranger, VW Amarok and Mitsubishi Triton variants – on some models.

The engine planned to power the Tasman is yet to be confirmed, however the 2.2-litre turbo-diesel four-cylinder in the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento is the leading theory. In these vehicles it develops 148kW/441Nm.

Kia Australia has said its new ute is "due to be unveiled in late 2024, with the first Australian examples expected to hit local roads in 2025."

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
That Kia ute with the 3.8 from the telluride/pallisade would be fun. Makes a nice noise.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Love a double post, thanks Tim Cook. Horny for a Kia v6

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Oh great, another piece of poo poo dual cab that will never do real work. gently caress OFF Kia

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh great, another piece of poo poo dual cab that will never do real work. gently caress OFF Kia

100% with you there. I have been doing a lot of road travel around central NSW the past week and my Focus shows more wear and tear than half the dual cabs out there

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Not sure if goons have seen this, and since the 2024 Tacoma is a new vehicle, but the TFL Truck guys had the taco break on some pretty mild off-roading, and the chevy colorado had to help it back down the hill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svD7Mx2xius&t=596s

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Didn't watch the whole vid, but looked like transfer case poo poo the bed?

Not a great sign - did not look rough on it at all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blackhawk posted:

VAG's 2023 operating profit was $22.5 billion, it's not that they can't afford to put in physical controls without increasing the price of the car, they just want to squeeze every last drop of profit possible out of their paypigs.

That's true of course, but usually this is the excuse when VAG or Volvo or Tesla come up with a dogshit "minimalist" interior; they just have no choice but to save money to give you a $50k SUV, when in reality I suspect the $500 or whatever a few buttons and toggles could cost would be easily a rounding error on the price of a vehicle.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

That's true of course, but usually this is the excuse when VAG or Volvo or Tesla come up with a dogshit "minimalist" interior; they just have no choice but to save money to give you a $50k SUV, when in reality I suspect the $500 or whatever a few buttons and toggles could cost would be easily a rounding error on the price of a vehicle.

For sure, a tooling set for physical controls (30 more parts? 100?) would be in the 10s of millions as most. So what, if a production run of 100k cars would be prob under $500 per tooling cost and a million car production would prob be two digit tooling cost per unit. Add in cost to make/install the widgets of let’s say $5per? On average. Few hundred per vehicle.

Such small potatoes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
$500 per is a big number in vehicle cost accounting

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Sure, the reverse is tens of millions per product line

Middle ground is parts bin vs unique tooling which could drive those numbers pretty low

But yeah, giving the customer less is a pretty good profit center

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I would take cheapo 90s GM parts bin physical controls over touchscreen only, and there is no way that those were expensive, either to R&D or to manufacture.

I also really strongly prefer an analog speedo, but it seems like those are going out of fashion too. I wonder if I might not be able to find one at all past 2030.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Can we talk about unique tooling and how Toyota pissed away obscene amounts of money on the IS200/300 variants that people don't know about unless they're way too obsessed about them like my friend? They apparently put out a stupidly impossible to find AWD/4WD one which used parts unique to itself... I'll give him a prod, see what he says.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BloodBag posted:

Not sure if goons have seen this, and since the 2024 Tacoma is a new vehicle, but the TFL Truck guys had the taco break on some pretty mild off-roading, and the chevy colorado had to help it back down the hill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svD7Mx2xius&t=596s

Drinking game for every time dude says front wheel drive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's pretty much a necessity in the entry level sport sedan market in the US to offer AWD, and most AWD variants have some unique parts.

edit: the better question to ask is "why offer the IS in the first place" if you're looking at it from a bean counter perspective

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 4, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's also a number we made up, but let's say it's about right. Why can BYD put all that stuff it in a $12k shitbox instead of hiding everything in the screen, but on a $40k Volvo it's just not possible? Even if they had to raise prices to maintain margins for greed purposes, would people suddenly refuse to buy a $40,500 car?

Twerk from Home posted:

I would take cheapo 90s GM parts bin physical controls over touchscreen only, and there is no way that those were expensive, either to R&D or to manufacture.

I also really strongly prefer an analog speedo, but it seems like those are going out of fashion too. I wonder if I might not be able to find one at all past 2030.
:same:
On the upside though I think with the advancements in 3d printing, CNC machining and approachable electronics, it should be pretty easy to make your own dream gauges for your EV. Basically like what Matt talks about doing (but apparently never does lol) with old Jaaaag gauges by connecting them to Tesla computers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2cw8vR2tuo&t=276s

In any case I don't think this is something I'll have to worry about anytime soon.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Can we talk about unique tooling and how Toyota pissed away obscene amounts of money on the IS200/300 variants that people don't know about unless they're way too obsessed about them like my friend? They apparently put out a stupidly impossible to find AWD/4WD one which used parts unique to itself... I'll give him a prod, see what he says.

4WD NA 2JZ powered Altezza Gita because someone high up at Toyota obviously wanted one.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

slidebite posted:

Didn't watch the whole vid, but looked like transfer case poo poo the bed?

Not a great sign - did not look rough on it at all.

Not a great look, but a sign? It's one truck breaking, poo poo happens sometimes. If it becomes a trend, that's a problem.

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, cost is the core reason, but rarely the public excuse they use, instead it's "what the market demands".

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I knew latter versions could be had in AWD, but yeah turns out all generations could be had with AWD options, if only in the wagon on the first gen. But it's also not unusual, Japanese manufacturers have a history of making all kinds of whacky, domestic only AWD versions of all kinds of weird poo poo that never escaped to the outside world, primarily existing for the snowy north.

A31 Cefiro, famous for being a cheap RB powered drift missile? SE-4 version:

OK, an A31 is half an S-chassis, half a Skyline, so cheating a bit.

Primera/G20?

Suzuki Swift?

OK, but that's a newer car.

Well, the old Swift, which Americans knew as the Geo Metro?

4x4 Sedan version!

Mazda, Honda too, all had weird AWD versions of their small car at some point or other in the late 80's and espcially 90's, and not just on hot models like the Familia GT_R, Pulsar GTi-R, bog standard appliance models too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Honda apparently even made (or still makes) 4WD Fits in Japan fairly recently

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Japan is pretty hilly and snowy so it makes sense to offer some little Haldex systems on various JDM cars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Mazda, Honda too, all had weird AWD versions of their small car at some point or other in the late 80's and espcially 90's, and not just on hot models like the Familia GT_R, Pulsar GTi-R, bog standard appliance models too.

Sometimes AWD was only available on low powered models - the Integra AWD was only the SOHC ZC and the AWD version of the first gen 3 was only the 1.5

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I think the default answer for any time someone asks "why did (company) do X"? is going to be "money" (cheaper).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
You could get the Celsior (Lexus LS400) in AWD in Japan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Japan is pretty hilly and snowy so it makes sense to offer some little Haldex systems on various JDM cars.

Yep. See also the Mazda Demio/2 for a AWD hatchback.

mobby_6kl posted:

It's also a number we made up, but let's say it's about right. Why can BYD put all that stuff it in a $12k shitbox instead of hiding everything in the screen, but on a $40k Volvo it's just not possible?

Tolerances/design life of the part, and using Chinese parts suppliers. But I’m also guessing BYD in particular is cutting prices and margins to the bone to gain market share overseas.

The other side: it might not be actually cheaper to put it all on a touch screen! Something has to run that screen, and most cars are still running on individual ECUs instead of a centralized processor ala a computer. Think old video game consoles versus modern ones that are essentially X86 boxes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

basically no cars are running on a centralized architecture other than Teslas. Poking around in a non-tesla EV I learned there are 72 separate control units. ICE cars aren't really better in this regard either. CANBUS is a mess.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

EuroNCAP says to manufacturers "IDGAF, fit actual buttons and switches or get a lovely score":
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/

quote:

"The overuse of touchscreens is an industry-wide problem, with almost every vehicle-maker moving key controls onto central touchscreens, obliging drivers to take their eyes off the road and raising the risk of distraction crashes," said Matthew Avery, Euro NCAP's director of strategic development.

"New Euro NCAP tests due in 2026 will encourage manufacturers to use separate, physical controls for basic functions in an intuitive manner, limiting eyes-off-road time and therefore promoting safer driving," he said.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Good

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mazda ahead of the curve once again. That knob system makes some people cry, but it's so intuitive once it's your car for a little while.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's pretty much a necessity in the entry level sport sedan market in the US to offer AWD, and most AWD variants have some unique parts.

edit: the better question to ask is "why offer the IS in the first place" if you're looking at it from a bean counter perspective

It wasn’t 25 years ago though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BloodBag posted:

Mazda ahead of the curve once again. That knob system makes some people cry, but it's so intuitive once it's your car for a little while.

Designing car ergonomics to be "intuitive" is also a little counter-intuitive (:dadjoke:) because it's something you're going to use a lot over several years, it's okay if it takes a few times to get the hang of a control! Something that has a tiny bit of learning curve but is better in the long term is a good decision, but a bunch of UX design thinkfluencers would tell you that it's bad because some people don't immediately get it within 2 seconds of using it, despite the actual shortcomings.

A touch screen might seem more intuitive when you're parked, but trying to use a touch screen for anything at all when moving is awful.

Not to mention the god awful fingerprints glistening in the sun.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://x.com/CARandDRIVER/status/1765045121274302871

it weighs six thousand pounds

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

BloodBag posted:

The Audi MMI clicky wheel in my '17 A4 was possibly the best input method I've ever used in a car. Obviously, they discontinued it and went full touch screen in 2020. The little touchpad in my A35 is also nice, so obviously that was discontinued in 2023 MY.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The new Charger will be available both as a 2 and 4-door car.

Notably, the new Charger will also be available with the new inline-6 starting in 2025. The base I-6 will produce 420 HP, with the high output versions producing 550 HP which is more than the same engine in truck and SUV duty. AWD will be standard.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The mid gen facelift might look okay.

I wonder if the i6 one is still 4500lbs

e:

quote:

Finally, Scat Pack customers can opt for the Track Pack, which includes the aforementioned brake upgrades as well as wheels and tires designed for higher performance. The package includes 20-inch wheels that are 11.0 inches wide in front and 11.5 inches wide in the back. They're wrapped with staggered Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires, sized 305/35ZR-20 front and 325/35ZR-20 rear.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If you told me this was a Chinese copy I'd have believed you. It looks a bit too plain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Weighs 6000 pounds, has drift and donut mode :911::911::911::911::911: :911::911::911::911::911: :911::911::911::911::911: :911::911::911::911::911: :911::911::911::911::911: