Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd imagine the only difference between mine and Id's LP of WKC at this point would be that Id's would have 90% more slurs in it :v:

I'm actually reading your LP for the first time because you said you patterned it off TDI earlier in the thread and I was curious.

It's pretty good, so that's one positive thing about all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You probably don't get to be the mod of someone's personal hangout unless you're a true believer and/or secretly TheDarkId in a halloween costume.

Three Dark Ids in a trenchcoat

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Di, Mr. X or Amgis, your choice after you beat the 8 robot masters.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

tho theres one admin with japanese characters in their names whos like "don't talk about all this nonsense or you'll get banned", i think the admin and mods might be true believers which is sad if so

poo poo, is it this person?

Because if so, I'm starting to rethink my opinion of them, not even getting into their possible status as a Dark Id alt. If that is who you're talking about, I hope it's just denial overload and not an active zeal in Id's stupid cult.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Found on reddit, not sure how to link but

quote:

Like honestly, it makes a event in retrospect feel like the real him breaking through. I woke up one morning to find disarray as one long term member had discussed feeling suicidal and his post was to tell them how to correctly position the gun. Lots of WTF from people, the poster left, and he claimed it was the angry depressed girlfriend of his dead daughter who posted it in the account he left logged on. According to him it was something he said to her dad before his failed suicide that he had to mercy kill.

And wtf, this is loving heinous. I'm shocked people just stuck around after that?

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Xun posted:

And wtf, this is loving heinous. I'm shocked people just stuck around after that?

Ah that was my post. I forget when it happened but pissed off teen lashing out wasn't too out there if you assumed the home stuff was accurate so I think most thought that was just a real mess that bled over into the discord. I flitted in an out, largely due to aw geez/political hellscape becoming overwhelmingly toxic every so often, but I liked talking to the folks there so I'd eventually join back after a few months away. What eventually got me ot break with all spaces was I'd gotten burned out from the political channel (State employee during covid so I tried to give some context as to how stuff was working during then) during an ongoing argument with everyone else vs a slightly less left jewish member. I made a post saying I was taking a break and immediately they banned the guy and the hikari account PMd me saying everything's cool they got rid of him and he was on thin ice anyway and I decided to just sever cause that was a loving batshit response when I never mentioned the guy at all. I think they just wanted a reason to shove him out.

As for why most didn't apply the smell tests there were other members more obviously making poo poo up that I think deadened the senses. I remember one kid had a saga about his horrible far right parents getting repeatedly owned by nice immigrant neighbors who I think were giving him a place to stay and also had a cool black gay employee in their restaurant who totally loved the yakuza games and anything else the user liked as well. I don't think it was a good environment and there were several folks who felt overly enmeshed in a unhealthy way there during my time.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Xun posted:

I've lived in a lot of shared houses and not once has anyone posted to a forum or chat with one of my accounts that I left logged in. It was happening to TheDarkId and his coterie of imaginary friends constantly, weird

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

I'm actually reading your LP for the first time because you said you patterned it off TDI earlier in the thread and I was curious.

It's pretty good, so that's one positive thing about all this.

Aww, well thank you, I appreciate hearing that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Shitenshi posted:

poo poo, is it this person?

Because if so, I'm starting to rethink my opinion of them, not even getting into their possible status as a Dark Id alt. If that is who you're talking about, I hope it's just denial overload and not an active zeal in Id's stupid cult.

Less likely because that person has been on-audio with TDI and me all at once and they have a significantly different voice and also can speak 3 or 4 languages (and often does during a stream). Really the smart thing here would be to let them talk to "HIkari" in Japanese to prove or disprove once and for all Hikari's reality.

That said, that's not her usual typing style there...which is weird...

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Xun posted:

:wtc:

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Speedball posted:

Less likely because that person has been on-audio with TDI and me all at once and they have a significantly different voice and also can speak 3 or 4 languages (and often does during a stream). Really the smart thing here would be to let them talk to "HIkari" in Japanese to prove or disprove once and for all Hikari's reality.

Not to pry but is that sareena (most recent username I recall)? I recall her not being in a good situation when I had left so had hoped things were improving.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

also for the smell test, between 2016 reality just going haywire and 2020 covid nuking our noses further... bullshit senses may be wonky.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

It's actually what made me join after reading most of the SSLPs on the archives, wish you did more SSLPs, but I understand the workload is insane.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Coolguye posted:

if anything, you made the right call. the penny's already dropped, and people know there are no-poo poo victims of Id now. even the sagas thread asked for a moratorium on insane poo poo in the ductwork from Id's discord because the point had been made.

the victims are going to need a fresh start somehow, and burning the garbage of yesteryear doesn't sound like the worst idea if that's to be achieved.

Victims what the gently caress?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Speedball posted:

I only remembered hearing her voice a few years back during a stream way back when, so my memory was foggy on how similar it was to Id's. And that posting style does concern me. I'm worried she's becoming more indoctrinated into Id's weirdness.

Kosume Shezaki posted:

Not to pry but is that sareena (most recent username I recall)? I recall her not being in a good situation when I had left so had hoped things were improving.

Yep, that's her. That's why I'm reluctant to encourage her to break out of it. For all I know that might have the opposite effect. And even if it does snap her out of it, she really liked that place last I recall, so it might just mess her up more in the long run.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

It's actually what made me join after reading most of the SSLPs on the archives, wish you did more SSLPs, but I understand the workload is insane.

Thank you as well.

Yeah, WKC was like a full year of my life while I was also finishing my last year of university, writing a 30+ page honours thesis, and holding down a job in between that as well. Some updates saw me staying up till 4 AM working on them and I just can't do that kind of poo poo any more. Also nothing has really struck my fancy to SSLP beyond White Knight Chronicles. Nothing really fell into that perfect Venn diagram of "hasn't been done before, I'm super invested in, and I can make an interesting experience out of."

The white whale I'd love to spear one day but probably never will is the MS Paint Chrono Cross follow up LP to Blind Sally's MS Paint Chrono Trigger, where the gimmick would be "I've only played the first four hours of Chrono Cross, so the thread needs to guide me to the Time Devourer." But again, probably will never happen.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

nine-gear crow posted:

Comparing White Knight Chronicles to TDI's Shadow Hearts/Koudelka LPs, which are the only ones of his I've consumed, frankly I think your writing is better. Both on a literal technical level (Id invented so many people, one of them really should've been an editor/proofreader for his run-on sentences and spelling/grammar errors) and on a more subjective humor level. I suppose part of that is that in WKC you had an actual "blank slate" character to hang your satire of the game on which meant less of the other characters suddenly breaking character to make fun of an odd decision one of them made that everyone had been all in on previously, etc. I still enjoyed the Shadow Hearts series of LPs, it's easier to forgive the errors of a lone dude doing a creative writing exercise in his free time, and those LPs didn't have any of the, uh, unfortunate language that was present during the 2000s that I understand made it into some of Id's earlier LPs which has made me more reluctant to go backwards and check his old work out.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The people demand CRON CROS Crow, you know what has to be done. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Id invented so many people, one of them really should've been an editor/proofreader

:thurman:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This whole thing just feels so surreal to me. I haven't read a TDI LP in a longass time (I generally spend my time writing LPs these days instead of consuming them), but I really do credit his work for getting me interested in LP in the first place. I've always had a nasty case of impostor syndrome about my own stuff in comparison to his, though I guess that's pretty ironic given that he was something of an impostor the whole time.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Yeah I’d be lying if I said TDI’s work isn’t where I got some of my inspiration from but… like,

lol; lmao.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Xun posted:

Oh, this was the incident that made me leave the discord! I hadn't been paying much attention to it anyway, and that was so weird and upsetting I just didn't want to be around to see if it could happen again. The slowbeef post immediately reminded me, because god that's so much more hosed up now :smith:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Confession, I was also inside his Discord though I didn't actually actively use it. the one major conversation I had in there involved the merits of Deltora Quest, which was actually kind of nice but Dark Id never participated in that. I left as soon as I found out about all of this, though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Haha goddamn. I was very briefly sad and then very baffled for whatever the opposite of "very briefly" is.

I never knew anything about the guy outside of seeing the occasional thread and i heard his kid died so all this other stuff even aside from his alleged death is just all sorts of :stare:

This account is the best :10bux: i ever spent probably.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Waffleman_ posted:

Victims what the gently caress?

that's honestly the most relevant term i've got since folks have come away needing therapy, having worse emotional damage, blah blah because of Id's bullshit. if you think that's reaching i'm happy to take another term but

that's the only word i've got for the damage i'm seeing, holmes

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 6, 2024

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Marks, rubes, patsies

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Leal posted:

Three Dark Ids in a trenchcoat

Dark Id, Dark Ego, Dark Superego.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

If I'm honest I thought the crayon drawings in the original LPs were just DarkId joking around, I had no idea there was more to it than all this. I mean... I mean, it reads like that one guy who had those stupid skull comics back in GBS back in the day.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

that's honestly the most relevant term i've got since folks have come away needing therapy, having worse emotional damage, blah blah because of Id's bullshit.

Yeah this is exactly correct. Two different people who it turns out are actually the same person making me hang off their every word and lap up every drop of approval, then kicking me out because I need to "chill my tits" just made me go hollow and die inside.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yeah honestly. i know people looking in from outside like to laugh like it could never happen to them. but it starts with small things. it's a slow boil where these sort of people pull you in and charm you until you're in way over your head and they're your entire social life and they're emotionally abusing you. it's "just online" but it can be really awful, victim is the right word

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Commander Keene posted:

Id invented so many people, one of them really should've been an editor/proofreader for his run-on sentences and spelling/grammar errors

Holy gently caress, he may not be dead of cancer but I think he just died from this dunk :hmbol:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The RE4 LP wasn't the first time I'd been linked to the forums but checking for updates made me regular guest.

I can't feel betrayed, what I liked about his work was his work and I hadn't heard about any drama besides the youtube nuking and fake daughter which didn't have him asking for anything, but goddamn, look at the reception everyone gave him just for starting the NieR Automata LP. Is that not enough of a rush? What were the lies and sockpuppets bringing that real people weren't happy to offer already?

How very odd.

Anyway,

Hah. Who bought that?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Arbite posted:

The RE4 LP wasn't the first time I'd been linked to the forums but checking for updates made me regular guest.

I can't feel betrayed, what I liked about his work was his work and I hadn't heard about any drama besides the youtube nuking and fake daughter which didn't have him asking for anything, but goddamn, look at the reception everyone gave him just for starting the NieR Automata LP. Is that not enough of a rush? What were the lies and sockpuppets bringing that real people weren't happy to offer already?

How very odd.

Anyway,

Hah. Who bought that?

Lol the fanart section has a drawing from his son and from nohman.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

really queer Christmas posted:

Lol the fanart section has a drawing from his son and from nohman.

don't forget his WIFE(!!!) also definitely made fanart too!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Coolguye posted:

that's honestly the most relevant term i've got since folks have come away needing therapy, having worse emotional damage, blah blah because of Id's bullshit. if you think that's reaching i'm happy to take another term but

that's the only word i've got for the damage i'm seeing, holmes

Okay, no, that makes sense. I just thought I had missed something where he did some even worse stuff.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay, no, that makes sense. I just thought I had missed something where he did some even worse stuff.

Oh gotcha, mb for misreading

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Ha ha, what the actual gently caress?

Like, this is the first I'm hearing about PMC poo poo, I thought he was a security guard or something, and that's not even touching the rest of this pile, holy poo poo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have something to admit. All my abandoned LPs? Its because I've been having active gun fights with Blackwater (long story, don't wanna reveal too much) and in all those fights the hard drives containing my updates took a bullet.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Leal posted:

I have something to admit. All my abandoned LPs? Its because I've been having active gun fights with Blackwater (long story, don't wanna reveal too much) and in all those fights the hard drives containing my updates took a bullet.

Next time just carry around a bunch of bibles, I hear they're great for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Arbite posted:

This is the damndest thing about the whole situation. His work was good! Plenty of people brought in to LPs in general because it was good! The entire Extended Idiverse thing was completely unnecessary and pointless, he had legit internet clout legit earned already.