Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

KirbyKhan posted:

Speaking of Magical Negros, the American Society of Magical Negros is out in theaters and is flopping hard with minority posters.

https://twitter.com/xraygirl_/status/1768372538017542291?t=FNxeXHmTEI6QUMWG-BjMLw&s=19

I was intrigued, but the plot is about a magical negro giving up his magic for the love of a mostly white woman and that's... Hoo boy... That's not great.

I looked up the writer/director and it's so clear he wanted to cast himself in the movie but couldn't get it past the money lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Excited for the sequel, glad to see the magical minorities multiverse get off the ground

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

indigi posted:

in animation, you aren't getting the major part of the VA's acting if you can't understand the language so past a minimum threshold it doesn't matter how small or large the pool of actors is. comparing it to live action is really weird, not sure why you'd do that

I cant believe I have to tell you this but performance can still come across just by how someone voices a character and the thing here is that the quality of acting in the Japanese VA community tends to be better than hastily made dubs. There are exceptions of course. Like any Miyazaki movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fleetwood posted:

browsing tubi I found an old movie called Suddenly starting Frank Sinatra as an assassin planning to kill the president. former irl OSS soldier Sterling Hayden is the sheriff trying to stop him. there's also a remake starring Ray Liotta and it's directed by Uwe Boll

Wait how many movies starring Frank Sinatra had him trying to kill the Resident? Didn't he star in the Manchurian Candidate?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Nonsense posted:

David Alan Grier is box office poison

he should go back to funky finger productions

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I respect people who either use dubs or learn the native language. Subs are for people who use the word verisimilitude incorrectly.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

I respect people who either use dubs or learn the native language. Subs are for people who use the word verisimilitude incorrectly.

I get it as an impulse from an era when the choices were professional (native) voice actors or some dude an importer paid $20 to flatly read the lines over the video but nowadays there's a whole industry and professionals and it's just as good or even better

but also subs are for people who use the word "keikaku"

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Gumball Gumption posted:

wow you sound like a loving moron

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
*ash voice* Subs? Dubs? I'm the guy who doesn't watch anime

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Nonsense posted:

They should have replaced him with a CGI Michael Clarke Duncan.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Professor Beetus posted:

*ash voice* Subs? Dubs? I'm the guy who doesn't watch anime
You’re an adult?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I watched Squid Game dubbed and I'd do it again

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

subba dubba sub dub

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Japanese guy posting that the local dub industry can't hold a candle to Yeardley Smith and the original English

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Nonsense posted:

one of the last great closeted hollywood actors

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I watched Squid Game dubbed and I'd do it again

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i like dag but you gotta have someone to reign him in

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

D.A.G. owns. Loved his C.B.B. appearances.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

About what

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Like Barbie, it sounds like a good idea for a 5 minute sketch that did not need to be fleshed out into a 90 minute film

They made it already!

https://youtu.be/jInlO6-JTww?si=XcP2uC_Em1d8iJek

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Shageletic posted:

I cant believe I have to tell you this but performance can still come across just by how someone voices a character

that's why I said "the major part" as opposed to "any," should probably learn to read better if you're doing subs my man

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

Japanese guy posting that the local dub industry can't hold a candle to Yeardley Smith and the original English

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Lmao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ok I finally finished considering Phlebas

I felt like this book picked up when it decided to get around to its own plot (meaning, essentially, the second half of it), but I also thought the Schar's World part kind of dragged a bit by the end. The Idirans confuse me. Xoxarle is so fascist that he can't let people from an inferior race help him with his mission without continually trying to kill and sabotage them for essentially no reason. He's like a rabid dog. Conversely, Balveda, the Culture representative, is so anarchist that she ends up deciding she likes Horza and Yalson because she hung out with them for a while due to being captured and held prisoner. I find myself wondering if Banks was really an anarchist (nb: being a real anarchist would not be good) because even in a story about an ascendant perfect anarchist utopia he seems pretty aware of the flaws and limitations of anarchism.

I'm glad I read this book because it provides some important context for other books in the series but I can still see why I was warned not to read it first because it's not really very much like them and doesn't scratch the same itch. Back to Discworld for me for now though.

The worst chapter of the book (The Eaters) was immediately followed by the best one (A Game of Damage). Player of Games should have had a Damage chapter.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Weembles posted:

Every character in Poor Things only exists to be quirky and help the development of the white protagonist while receiving no real characterization of their own.

yeah, it's not a great movie storywise (but boy is it pretty and well acted) and is surface level ra ra girl boss feminism. lily gladstone was robbed

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

surface level ra ra girl boss feminism.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

yeah, it's not a great movie storywise (but boy is it pretty and well acted) and is surface level ra ra girl boss feminism. lily gladstone was robbed

How much more thoroughly are you looking to get humiliated because it's starting to seem like a fetish thing and I do not consent to be a part of that with you

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

one of the best films of 2023 was entirely a cliche, bordering on corny, one of those movies where you know the beats its going to take, and how it will end as soon as you read the 2 sentence synopsis.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

one of the best films of 2023 was entirely a cliche, bordering on corny, one of those movies where you know the beats its going to take, and how it will end as soon as you read the 2 sentence synopsis.

big bomb goes boom so what

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://thefilmstage.com/peter-weir-confirms-his-retirement-from-directing-i-have-no-more-energy/

i'll miss him

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I get it as an impulse from an era when the choices were professional (native) voice actors or some dude an importer paid $20 to flatly read the lines over the video but nowadays there's a whole industry and professionals and it's just as good or even better

but also subs are for people who use the word "keikaku"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPeyMliCbUg

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Shageletic posted:

Wait how many movies starring Frank Sinatra had him trying to kill the Resident? Didn't he star in the Manchurian Candidate?

I was sure there was another one but looks like that's it although I did find one where he plays an oss agent in burma

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

indigi posted:

the series where the Dutch show the Japanese their guns is called shogun

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Dr. Killjoy posted:

the tale of the Six Servants is just the first superhero team

better even

this is fuckin badass, americans can only steal

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017