Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Falukorv posted:

can "gard" still mean fence in icelandic? the swedish cognate means yard/garden/farmstead nowadays.

Using it for fence is very antiquated in Icelandic and only used in sayings like "að ráðast ekki á garðinn þar sem hann er lægstur" which translates as "Not attacking the wall/fence where it's the lowest" which is used when someone is doing or trying something very ambitious. As well as "Fara fyrir ofan garð og neðan" "to go over and under the wall/fence" for when something goes over someone's head.

Modern icelandic for fence is "girðing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pyf historical fun fact: goddamn I love learning about etymology

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phy posted:

Pyf historical fun fact: goddamn I love learning about etymology

Bugs rule!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lobok posted:

Bugs rule!

Yeah I love bats

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

Using it for fence is very antiquated in Icelandic and only used in sayings like "að ráðast ekki á garðinn þar sem hann er lægstur" which translates as "Not attacking the wall/fence where it's the lowest" which is used when someone is doing or trying something very ambitious. As well as "Fara fyrir ofan garð og neðan" "to go over and under the wall/fence" for when something goes over someone's head.

Modern icelandic for fence is "girðing".

Huh, right, we still have gærde in Danish, and the expression springe over hvor gærdet er lavest = "jump the fence where it's lowest", to do something in the easiest (and possibly incomplete/incorrect) manner. Didn't realize that was the same orgin as gård (though it's kinda obvious now...)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Carthag Tuek posted:

Huh, right, we still have gærde in Danish, and the expression springe over hvor gærdet er lavest = "jump the fence where it's lowest", to do something in the easiest (and possibly incomplete/incorrect) manner. Didn't realize that was the same orgin as gård (though it's kinda obvious now...)

It's actually {gärde} (compare/contrast with gärdsgård) in swedish, but no one remembers the old words anymore.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

English "yard" comes from that Old Norse word as well. The proto-Indo-European word "gher", meaning "to enclose", is the origin of yard, garden, chorus, and court.

Chamale has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Mar 19, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Every language vaguely adjacent to you boring vikings has it. Great famous WW2 events like the siege of Lenin's Garden, and Fence of Steel Joe.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Where did you come from, where did you go? Where did you come from,

soviet elsa posted:

Fence of Steel Joe.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

soviet elsa posted:

Every language vaguely adjacent to you boring vikings has it. Great famous WW2 events like the siege of Lenin's Garden, and Fence of Steel Joe.

because iirc there is a shared protoindoeuroean (reconstructed of course) ancestor. *gʰerdʰ-, is what people believe it was but you can find terms for enclosed spaces with similar morphology in most branches of Indo-European language families.I know the Slavic ones the best(e.g. grad, gorod, hrad) but lithuanian and Baltic languages share that root too.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It's actually {gärde} (compare/contrast with gärdsgård) in swedish, but no one remembers the old words anymore.

The word is still used here in Värmland, but for some reason I can only remember hearing it by people with really heavy accents, so it sounds like "yaa-le" with a clicking sound on the l. And I'm pretty sure it's always meant "field" when locals have used it, as in "Jag såg henne ute på gärdet igår" (pronounced more like "Ja såg'na uttpå yaale igår")

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Is that where the word Garda? Gardae? Comes from in some of the TV shows I watch when they are talking about Irish cops?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Great Brick Fence Of China.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Ironhead posted:

Is that where the word Garda? Gardae? Comes from in some of the TV shows I watch when they are talking about Irish cops?

According to wiktionary it's from:

quote:

From Old French guarde, from guarder (“to guard”), from Frankish *wardēn, from Proto-Germanic *wardāną.

So it's the same root as English "guard"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Offler posted:

The word is still used here in Värmland, but for some reason I can only remember hearing it by people with really heavy accents, so it sounds like "yaa-le" with a clicking sound on the l. And I'm pretty sure it's always meant "field" when locals have used it, as in "Jag såg henne ute på gärdet igår" (pronounced more like "Ja såg'na uttpå yaale igår")

Yeah our language(s) is a mess. No wonder we give Nobel prizes to poets.

I'd try and give examples of smålandian accents in turn but I don't think my brain would let me. Honest to god I have less trouble with apalachian or boomhauer texan, or real County Cork english like, than raw Småland

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yeah our language(s) is a mess. No wonder we give Nobel prizes to poets.

I'd try and give examples of smålandian accents in turn but I don't think my brain would let me. Honest to god I have less trouble with apalachian or boomhauer texan, or real County Cork english like, than raw Småland

Please tell me that people are at least still calling each other "fårafitta" like in that one classic movie. I think it's from Utvandrarna, but I honestly just remember that one line, and even then more from how people would imitate it than from the movie itself.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Offler posted:

According to wiktionary it's from:

So it's the same root as English "guard"

which is the same proto-indoeuropean root, iirc.

no, wait, probably not. guard doesn't go back that far. what does come from the same root in french, i'm pretty sure is hangar.

guard comes from the same root as warden, iirc.

NoiseAnnoys has a new favorite as of 13:23 on Mar 20, 2024

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Right, there was a linguistic split with w and g that happened at some point, so we have a lot of words that are similar both within English and across English/French cognates (due to the French words joining English during the Norman occupation). Like William/Guillaume, Warden/Guardian, Warranty/Guarantee, Wardrobe/Garderobe, etc.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

yep, it’s the one constant in linguistics that sounds and language change. we can’t predict the change but we can almost always trace it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Offler posted:

Please tell me that people are at least still calling each other "fårafitta" like in that one classic movie. I think it's from Utvandrarna, but I honestly just remember that one line, and even then more from how people would imitate it than from the movie itself.

Been a while since I did field studies but I don't think so. I'd wager it's all hockey insults and gamer abuse now, same as everywhere. But, it's absolutely done with your same favourite movie pronunciation

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
gärsgård is a very beautiful word

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

"Gjerde" is commonly used in Norway. We also have words like "tanngard", a fence made of teeth and "manngard", a wall made of men.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Alhazred posted:

"Gjerde" is commonly used in Norway. We also have words like "tanngard", a fence made of teeth and "manngard", a wall made of men.

...when would you use those words please?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Tanngard would be used in a sentence to describe the quality or something about a person or animals teeth or mouth in general. A manngard is mostly used in relation to search parties, ie, you go manngard throught an area of forest or whatever to search for missing persons. a line of people walking at a set distance between each other to finely search an area.

There is also a skigard. a traditional type of fence. a fence made of wooden sticks, usually roped together with smaller bendy sticks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundpole_fence

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A goon sums up the strange history of how Mount McKinley's name got changed to Denali.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Oh man, it is legit hilarious how it came about. Everybody in Alaska has wanted to revert the name back to Denali for a long time, but a bipartisan group of congressmen from Ohio were vehemently opposed to doing that because William McKinley was from Ohio. For forty years Ohio's congressional designation took advantage of a loophole in the law that stated the Board of Geographic Names wasn't allowed to consider renaming any landmark that was currently the subject of any pending legislation so at the start of every term of Congress one of them would propose a bill that specifically mentioned "Mt. McKinley" and then left it in pending status all term.

This loophole worked for forty years, and then the Obama administration found ANOTHER loophole that said if the Board of Geographic Names didn't make a ruling on a proposed change within a "reasonable" timeframe, then the Secretary of the Interior had the power to unilaterally make the decision. And since 40 years isn't "reasonable", it's back to Denali.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sounds like those members of Congress were in denial.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samovar posted:

Sounds like those members of Congress were in denial.

They had no truck with the new name.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

an example of Jewish humor (or malicious compliance?). The below transpired in Copenhagen around 1760, my translation:

quote:

He [Moritz Gerson Melchior] is the founder of the now so renowned merchant house Moses & Søn G. Melchior. This somewhat peculiar name dates to an auction, where Moses Melchior had won a large bid, and when the auctioneer asked whom the buyer was, and the reply was "Moses Melchior & Son", the follow up was "Yes, which son?" — when it was then notified that it was Gerson Melchior, there was no cause to reject the bid; the auctioneer said: "then we shall write Moses & Son G. Melchior", and thus the company was named.

Carl H. & Clara Melchior, Familieminder tilegnet vore Efterkommere (1915), p. 43
https://bibliotek.slaegt.dk/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=8773

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I don't get it. His son isn't mentioned initially, but is named after his father's middle name? Is there a son?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

venus de lmao posted:

I don't get it. His son isn't mentioned initially, but is named after his father's middle name? Is there a son?

sorry. the names arent the point of it. a merchant house was usually just called "surname & son/company", but for some reason the auctioneer wanted to know the son's name. so they went with the awkward name company name and got it official

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

neat

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Still don't get it tbh

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Biplane posted:

Still don't get it tbh
The nitpicking pedant immortalized the guy's name.

My favorite story in this vein was the guy who was asked at Ellis Island, "NAME? FIRST AND LAST" and stammered out "I don't remember" - but in Yiddish, so "shoyn vergessen."

He was thus duly notarized as new American immigrant Sean Ferguson.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Nessus posted:

The nitpicking pedant immortalized the guy's name.

My favorite story in this vein was the guy who was asked at Ellis Island, "NAME? FIRST AND LAST" and stammered out "I don't remember" - but in Yiddish, so "shoyn vergessen."

He was thus duly notarized as new American immigrant Sean Ferguson.

that seems like a pretty lovely move tbh

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NoiseAnnoys posted:

that seems like a pretty lovely move tbh
My understanding is that Ellis Island sucked poo poo, but in many cases it beat the alternative

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Nessus posted:

My understanding is that Ellis Island sucked poo poo, but in many cases it beat the alternative

what alternative? having your birth name stay your birth name?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You might have to be processed in BOSTON

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

You might have to be processed in BOSTON

poor ashkenazi guy wanted to make a new life for himself and he ended up condemned to the cover of a dropkick murphys album

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NoiseAnnoys posted:

what alternative? having your birth name stay your birth name?
I mean like "having to go back to the shletl and get pogrom'd"

I think Sean Ferguson is mythical but this is one of the reasons why there are so many variant spellings of many surnames. They didn't start out that way, but they were recorded that way. And now that's what's on your papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
According to Max Miller -- for what the credibility of the "Tasting History" YouTube channel is worth, although he seems to do a decent amount of research -- the whole "Ellis Island clerk changing your name to sound more American" thing is largely a legend, or at best anecdotal, as there were no documents being issued there. All the immigration officials would do is compare people's names to the ships' registry as a means of checking the passengers were who they said they were. Changes in names (and the Americanization) happened after, when the immigration process would actually get underway.

Now, could some jackwagon clerk do that to you, intentionally or not, at some point? Of course. It just doesn't appear to have been all that common at Ellis specifically.