Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

A friend finally talked me into playing Inqusition. I've never played a DA game before, in fact this is my first WRPG outside of Mass Effect, so this is a very bizarre experience so far. Boy those opening cutscenes were not made for Dwarf characters, my girl is out there climbing the air next to the rocks.

I had heard a lot on my periphery about how much people don't like Sera, nothing specific, but I truly was not prepared for how bad she is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lmfso Sera still so terrible it hits yearsdecades later

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sera kinda grew on me after a while. She's always annoying but after a while she gets in your head or something. Or she did for me.

Like that Seinfeld episode where the girl keeps humming Co-stanza and can't stop thinking about George even though she hates him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Sera is like a 5/10 character who gets a 2/10 introduction.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

A friend finally talked me into playing Inqusition. I've never played a DA game before, in fact this is my first WRPG outside of Mass Effect, so this is a very bizarre experience so far. Boy those opening cutscenes were not made for Dwarf characters, my girl is out there climbing the air next to the rocks.

I had heard a lot on my periphery about how much people don't like Sera, nothing specific, but I truly was not prepared for how bad she is

Can I just humbly recommend you stop Inquisition and go play Origins instead? Not only is it the infinitely superior game, DAI is built off of events in DAO and DA2.

But if you continue on, please at least try DAO and DA2 after your DAI run. They're amazing games and very, very different from Inquisition.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

NikkolasKing posted:

Can I just humbly recommend you stop Inquisition and go play Origins instead? Not only is it the infinitely superior game, DAI is built off of events in DAO and DA2.

But if you continue on, please at least try DAO and DA2 after your DAI run. They're amazing games and very, very different from Inquisition.

I'd also argue both are better games, but I really dislike Inquisition.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I miss the inquisition multiplayer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Origins' gameplay is so dated now that I feel like unless you want more Thedas specifically, BG3 is the better pick for the top-down strategy game.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Realistically this thread should have been closed and all posters banned once BG3 came out and rendered it obsolete

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I liked sera she's my favorite romance character for girls. The best romance in the game is obviously cassandra

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

poisonpill posted:

Lmfso Sera still so terrible it hits yearsdecades later

This is what happens when Bioware writes a gay-only character who serves as a handy checklist for recognizing signs of an emotionally abusive individual.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Sera is also kind of unpleasant as a willfully ignorant bigot. I guess that comes with the territory of leading the religious fanatic army though

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm a sucker for Bioware's twee ladies and even I found Sera grating

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Sera is also kind of unpleasant as a willfully ignorant bigot. I guess that comes with the territory of leading the religious fanatic army though

Tbf you can run a surprisingly irreligious inquisition. you can openly tell everyone your an atheist lol

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Sera's my favourite person in Inquisition, I don't need to explain why as well.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

Sera's my favourite person in Inquisition, I don't need to explain why as well.
Because you like terrible people with equally terrible haircuts?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

It's ironic that Solas hates her so much given his own blindspots and bigotry.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Sylphosaurus posted:

Because you like terrible people with equally terrible haircuts?

Partly I like how much she causes people to spit blood with rage over her mere existance, and secondly I like how she represents the little people, the servants, bakers and such, in a game that has a cast of nobles, Lords and heroes, it's nice to have someone who goes "This is all a bit stupid really isn't it"

Sera is a comrade.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Didn't we already have that with Varric though?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
She claims to represent the common people, but she's written in such a manner that it comes off as patronizing, and more as an insult to the little man from the writer.

Anyway, I remember liking her party dynamic with Vivianne, every time they talked it was a competition in trashing each other

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 24, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Sera kinda grew on me after a while. She's always annoying but after a while she gets in your head or something. Or she did for me.

Same. I think it's actually good that Sera fucks with people, and most of the people she fucks with suck and deserve it.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Knickers!!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

Sera is a comrade.
She's not though. Admittedly I haven't interacted that much with her because her whole "Teehee, look at me being random"-2010's Tumblr shtick got old fast. But I as far as I can recall Sera's motivation is wanting to maintaining the status quo. And wanting things to go back to how they were before.
Sera wants to have a playground where she can have fun shanking the occasional noble, but she doesn't give much of a poo poo about improving the lower class' lot.

The only actual revolutionary in DA:I's cast is Leliana. :colbert:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

sera's entire story feels like a backstory. we've established that she's probably got latent magic powers that she suppresses because of church dogma, and she has a rebellious streak but she doesn't really know what to do with it because she can't imagine a better world

kinda feels like she's a mind-meld with solas away from becoming some kind of fanatical elven god-queen.

shame that doesn't do poo poo for her "arc" in inquisition and I don't have any faith in the shambling corpse of bioware to make good on it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

steinrokkan posted:

She claims to represent the common people,

Specifically, the common humans.

City elves, the oppressed ethnic minority that's forced to live in segregated ghettos and the official doctrine of the church that Sera believes so fervently in is that elves don't have souls and thus are technically animals rather than people? gently caress em.

Sera has no interest in change except for her personally. She is utterly dedicated to being One Of The Good Ones and gently caress everyone else.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Sera has no interest in change except for her personally. She is utterly dedicated to being One Of The Good Ones and gently caress everyone else.

I don't really know what the pie throwing woman can do to change society, maybe throwing an egg at Empress Celene would get her to change her ways?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Judge Tesla posted:

I don't really know what the pie throwing woman can do to change society, maybe throwing an egg at Empress Celene would get her to change her ways?

She doesn't even try, and indeed is enraged if you dare suggest that maybe elves are people too or maybe there are systemic and institutional problems instead of just a few bad apples.

All Sera wants is for her personally to be unaffected by the lovely state of society.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's potentially some interesting topics to be explored through that Sera considers herself more of a human rather than an elf due to being raised in human society and rejects anything elvish, including her own innate magic ability.

But it's Sera, so yeah that's not going anywhere.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Doesn't she also have such severe tonal whiplash that it's impossible to tell whether she's a tortured prankster or a revolutionary or whatever?

Vague memories of like breaking into Viscount McDuck's mansion to dye all his clothes red or something - oh no the guards have discovered our japery - loving kill them all lmao what a prank

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

NikkolasKing posted:

gently caress this, DAO plays like rear end, I'd have to be severely unemployed to play that one again. Watch a recap video or something. DAI is actually fun to play, has better characters, doesn't look like rear end and Trespasser DLC/epilogue is the peak of the series.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Origins was never a looker even in its time but now is butt ugly, except many butts are also good looking but Dragon Age is not. I agree with the poster that said this series should probably be obliterated now that BG3 exists.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
DAO isn't even a victim of its technology aging its graphics, its poor looks are entirely self inflicted. Everything looks dour and filthy and miserable by design because their bright marketing gimmick at the time was "this is an edgy RPG that FUUUCKS, can you handle it?"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I still maintain that DA2 has aged the best of the trilogy. Graphics are better than Origins, and it doesn't have Sera or Inquisiton's weak gambit system or the long sprawling open-world system that honestly was not very good. Friendship/rivalry system was also a good mechanic that meant you didn't have to agree with all your party members' bad decisions.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

steinrokkan posted:

DAO isn't even a victim of its technology aging its graphics, its poor looks are entirely self inflicted. Everything looks dour and filthy and miserable by design because their bright marketing gimmick at the time was "this is an edgy RPG that FUUUCKS, can you handle it?"

sounds like someone wasn't ready for the new poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It is definitely guilty of the mid-2000s bloom lighting zeitgeist. Shiny rocks! Shiny grass! Shiny trees!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

steinrokkan posted:

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka1G5cQkXrw

never forget

Epi Lepi posted:

gently caress this, DAO plays like rear end, I'd have to be severely unemployed to play that one again. Watch a recap video or something. DAI is actually fun to play, has better characters, doesn't look like rear end and Trespasser DLC/epilogue is the peak of the series.

This, pretty much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Which is funnier, this or using This is War in the ending credits?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly I think the Mage Tower alone singlehandedly dissuades me from replaying Origins again.

There's more sloggy bits like the early Lothering stuff or like the entirety of Orzammar/Deep Roads, but it's really the Mage Tower.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I agree with the poster that said this series should probably be obliterated now that BG3 exists.

Larian isn't making any more Baldur's Gate tho

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly I think the Mage Tower alone singlehandedly dissuades me from replaying Origins again.

There's more sloggy bits like the early Lothering stuff or like the entirety of Orzammar/Deep Roads, but it's really the Mage Tower.

I've lost count of how many DAO playthroughs I've done but Skip the Fade has been installed for every single one of them but the very first lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cross-Section posted:

Larian isn't making any more Baldur's Gate tho

Their other games are also better tactical fantasy rpgs than dragon age

Personally the part I hate the most in DAO is the caves before the temple of Andraste. I don't know if they were actually as long and pointless as I remember them, or maybe if they just came at a point when my patience was wearing thin, but in each of my playthroughs they were the part I suffered through the most