Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's a lot of bullshit that happens because the umpires are pissed off about some mean thing someone said to them earlier in the game, or yesterday, or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

What's it do?

Deceive the batter (hopefully) by coming in slower and with more downward tumbling action than a FB despite a similar arm motion. Yeah some people have different movement profiles for their changeups but you can say the same thing for literally any pitch, different pitchers have different sliders and FB's too. A changeup is a specific pitch, not a catchall term.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

What's it do?

The main point is to have as close to exact of a release point and motion as a fastball, so batters expect the wrong pitch and look like a fool flailing at it. Downside is that if the batter sits on it they can send it to the drat moon

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Last summer I went to a Phillies game with a party that included my 7 year old nephew for whom it was his first live MLB game. Not only did it turn out to be one of the very dullest baseball games out of the thousands I've watched, but also the plate ump got pissed off at the riding the Phillies bench gave him on a marginal call in the 2nd inning, and spent the rest of the game absolutely screwing them over calling strikes that were 4 inches outside the zone and squeezing the hell out of their pitchers. During the game I thought and said "ehhhh, we don't have a great perspective from these seats, it was probably closer than it looked to us." But the next day I rewatched the televised game and was surprised to see that, nah, Philly fans were right for once in their lives, there were like 5 different strike calls that were nowhere near the zone.

So the nephew got a useful life lesson but he sure didn't get much of a ballgame.

e: as you can imagine, he also learned a lot of new words that day

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 2, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I was at a Giants game two years ago where the umping was so bad it created cross fan solidarity and all of us were mad at the calls against both teams.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Kenesaw Mountain Landis

He really was the only independent commissioner. Ever since Landis, they've made sure the commissioner, and all of their lackeys, serve at the pleasure of the owners.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

I was at a Giants game two years ago where the umping was so bad it created cross fan solidarity and all of us were mad at the calls against both teams.

the loudest boos I ever heard were against umpires in the 2017 NLCS and not against like, the Cardinals in the 2015 NLDS.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sydin posted:

That's called a Schwarber

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Christopher Morel is going to win NL MVP this season.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phillies fans have been on fire at the park early.

They are not in good moods

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees are paying Soto 31 million in 2024 so when they pay him 50 in 2025 it's only a 19 million dollar increase and they have almost 100 million coming off the books from 2024 to 2025.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

What's it do?
Never a bad time to post Pedro talking about his change up grip. Also, please enjoy his freaky mutant fingers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucZk9xJ0-aM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMKwqAEQhwU

I'm convinced if Pedro wanted to he'd be the best pitching coach in the league.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

mdemone posted:

That's called a Schwarber

I just watched that video again after reading your comment, and had completely forgotten it was loving Hernandez, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzE0LGb6xLw

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

0.737 WHIP in 2000 is still one of those "wait, what" stats.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

R.D. Mangles posted:

shota imanaga, IMO
In Japan they call him "The Throwing Philosopher"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Larry Lucchino died
https://twitter.com/mikesilvermanbb/status/1775157688621584759

Like John Henry said, he has to be in the running for most important baseball executive/owner of the past forty years

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Trevor Hoffman also had an all-time great changeup, talking grips here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrlnsFk6FXs

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Two days of rain in Baltimore, I hate this month

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Settle down TS Eliot

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

Settle down TS Eliot

:golfclap:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

howe_sam posted:

Never a bad time to post Pedro talking about his change up grip. Also, please enjoy his freaky mutant fingers.

he was also very specific about how he wanted his balls rubbed up, that man was meticulous

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You mean you're not meticulous about how your balls get rubbed up??

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

howe_sam posted:

Just because it popped up, here's cool Kyle on the same topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EA8epxHxz8

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://x.com/hammerito/status/1774926496252961076?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

This is pretty bad!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that's just old fashioned service time manipulation. Which is also bad! But not uncommon.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Late to the party but another common feature of changeups is they can break arm side, which makes them good tools against opposite handed batters who would otherwise have a platoon advantage on the pitcher. The more extreme version of this is the screwball, which is notoriously bad for your arm (but what pitch isn’t?) just ask Fernando Valenzuela.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

yeah the story was on twitter yesterday that both of the players who were known to have worn the bracelet were "demoted" but it turns out that the other player who wore the bracelet is Brent Rooker and the "demotion" in his case is that Rooker who was the A's best hitter last year has only been given 10 PA's in the 5 games so far... which he has used to strike out 9 times. It's not so clear to me that there is much of a pattern there, although the sending Ruiz down to AAA is obviously not for baseball performance reasons.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The screwballs guys in the 70s and 80s threw were mostly wrong-way-breaking slow curveballs. A few pitchers still throw that kind of pitch today, but rarely, and it's usually just called a changeup.

Modern pitchers routinely throw fastballs with late wrong-way break, which is achieved the same way, by pronating the elbow as you release the ball.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Modern pitchers routinely throw fastballs with late wrong-way break, which is achieved the same way, by pronating the elbow as you release the ball.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I also thought that the 2-seam vs 4-seam grip affects this, with 4-seamers running glove side or rising in the zone and 2-seamers running arm side?

Anyway I'm enjoying pitchingchat, thanks for the info everyone

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Definitely does, yes, but you still don't get wrong-way break without at least a little pronation. It's in the direction the seams spin.

I remember 20 years ago reading an article called "The Hell It Don't Curve", about the roaring controversy in the 1870s about whether a pitcher could actually make a baseball curve or if it was just an optical illusion. Cool and fun stuff.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 2, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Late to the party but another common feature of changeups is they can break arm side, which makes them good tools against opposite handed batters who would otherwise have a platoon advantage on the pitcher. The more extreme version of this is the screwball, which is notoriously bad for your arm (but what pitch isn’t?) just ask Fernando Valenzuela.

How much arm-side movement it gets is the difference between the more traditional "straight" change and a circle change, yeah. Also some guys like Kyle Hendricks who can throw a cut change but that's much rarer.

It does seem like splitters are starting to get a bit more popular than changeups in the last couple years?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

It does seem like splitters are starting to get a bit more popular than changeups in the last couple years?

There have always been guys who never got the hang of a changeup, but found a splitter much easier to deploy as their offspeed pitch (related, I absolutely hate how splitters are categorized as a fastball in the larger pitch classification taxonomy), which also had an advantage of being a generally rarer pitch so batters were a bit flummoxed. With the success of the forkball/splitter guys coming over from Asia (where the changeup is actually the rarer offspeed!) I wonder if the novelty advantage will go away.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 2, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The A's ownership should really sell the team. They actively hate the team. lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

(related, I absolutely hate how splitters are categorized as a fastball in the larger pitch classification taxonomy)

Are they still? I haven't heard anyone seriously use the original term "split-finger(ed) fastball" in years. Everyone I can immediately think of hearing talk about it in the recent past talks of it as an offspeed pitch/breaking ball, which it obviously is. I don't know how the pitch tracking systems do things though.

When Bruce Sutter started throwing it and it took baseball by storm, it was faster than a slider (and, in Sutter's case, as fast as many pitchers' fastballs at that time) so it seemed natural to classify it as a fastball variant. We've gotten away from that now that every pitcher throws 97, I think.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 2, 2024

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are they still? I haven't heard anyone seriously use the original term "split-finger(ed) fastball" in years. Everyone I can immediately think of hearing talk about it in the recent past talks of it as an offspeed pitch/breaking ball. I don't know how the pitch tracking systems do things though.

Oh actually BaseballSavant has it in the Offspeed group now, I must have misremembered.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Bregor posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I also thought that the 2-seam vs 4-seam grip affects this, with 4-seamers running glove side or rising in the zone and 2-seamers running arm side?

Anyway I'm enjoying pitchingchat, thanks for the info everyone

Fastballs are described as either straight, running or cutting. Straight is what you would expect it to do often called a 4 seam fastball, a running fastball is often called a 2-seam and it moves arm side, a cutting fastball is called a cutter which moves to the glove side. Of course this is all sort of a grey area and some straight 4-seam fastballs may cut/run depending on the pitcher without changing grips to intentionally throw a cutter/2-seam

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Splitters are fun because you need flexible fingers to get the right break. I can see why these cause blisters and hosed up elbows though

Masahiro Tanaka had a great one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSwcAITAod4

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Splitters are also notoriously "sreaky" even among feel pitches. It's hard to get a reliable, repeatable grip on the ball with your fingers where they need to be, and if it doesn't drop, you're throwing literally BP fastballs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Fastballs are described as either straight, running or cutting. Straight is what you would expect it to do often called a 4 seam fastball, a running fastball is often called a 2-seam and it moves arm side, a cutting fastball is called a cutter which moves to the glove side. Of course this is all sort of a grey area and some straight 4-seam fastballs may cut/run depending on the pitcher without changing grips to intentionally throw a cutter/2-seam

Yeah the traditional distinction between 4SFB/2SFB/Cutter is, if not dying, then really starting to blur as guys are getting more attuned to pitching science and chasing certain types of spin. Justin Steele (:rip:) for example is only categorized as throwing a four-seamer but he can manipulate the pitch to add/subtract cutting action as desired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I still don't understand the difference between a cutter, cut fastball, and slider most of the time these days.