Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I am very sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

MLB: Blame Nike for the uniforms

quote:

"Nike chose the letter sizing and picked the fabric that was used in these jerseys," MLB said, per The Athletic. "Fanatics has done a great job manufacturing everything to the exact specifications provided by Nike. As part of this significant transition, Nike will continue to explore necessary adjustments to certain elements of the new uniforms to meet the needs of MLB Clubs and players."

How much does MLB have invested in Fanatics again?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I am very sad

:same:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

Tungsten Arm O/U'Doyle

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Shohei the Money Line

These posts are a George Carlin HBO special compared to what passes for an Ohtani joke reply on Twitter

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Captain Log posted:

While I'm not particularly a Cubs fan, reading the Cub's posting is a daily highlight for me. :derptiel:

Same here friend :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

anakha posted:

I know this seems like rear end-covering but they are using the same factory that Majestic used when they had the contract, so I really do believe it's down to Nike. And I don't think Nike was trying to cut costs, I think they are trying to transition to more proprietary "athletic performance" materials with trademarks like UltraDri or WickWear or whatever, it's just that these materials don't look good and suck.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

These posts are a George Carlin HBO special compared to what passes for an Ohtani joke reply on Twitter

It was that or Tungsten Arm O'Foiled

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

anakha posted:

It's absolutely Nikes fault

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

I know this seems like rear end-covering but they are using the same factory that Majestic used when they had the contract, so I really do believe it's down to Nike.

While I'm perfectly fine putting the blame on Nike, the fact that Fanatics owns the former Majestic factory doesn't necessarily shield them from criticism since it's just a building. Are the workers the same? Are they following the same QA standards Majestic did?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The only source listed in this article is a tweet made yesterday by some rando in the middle of the game so uh, I'd say this one's probably fake news.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It's absolutely Nikes fault

Break up both companies and have the executives imprisoned just to be sure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1778461032647622717

Hopefully every other Boras client follows suit.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I think Scott Boras and Gleyber Torres should run for office.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1778461032647622717

Hopefully every other Boras client follows suit.

I dunno he's gotten $25 million to play for the reigning NL champs, seems like Scott did him a favor :smuggo:

If this was an actual coordinated effort to gently caress over Boras, he seems like the litigious type

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

drat I'm sad.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone else here playing Helldivers 2 and did a double take when the new order was on planet VERNEN WELLS?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Notes from the Fed investigation

- Ippei stole $16 mil
- Ippei impersonated Ohtani in phone calls to Ohtani's bank
- Ippei admitted to the bookie, in text, that he was stealing from Ohtani lol

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

explosivo posted:

Anyone else here playing Helldivers 2 and did a double take when the new order was on planet VERNEN WELLS?

I knew it was striking me in a weird way, and now I finally put 2 and 2 together

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Vernon Wells, the actor?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
$16M??? Who the hell like, was doing Ohtani's taxes and wealth management? Those assholes need the loving boot as well.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1778481855509246161

Bookie: whoa, you seen the reports?
Ippei: I did all the crimes. Shohei did none of them. I am the criminal. I am going to jail forever.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Are those quotes or paraphrases? Because if quotes that plays pretty hard into the hypothesis that Ippei is Shohei's fall guy tbh.

If paraphrases though, that plays pretty hard into the hypothesis that Bill Shaikin, whoever he is, is perhaps maybe shading things just a little to create a story

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

Vernon Wells, the actor?

Why not both

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/laura_nelson/status/1778483095626227718?s=46

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are those quotes or paraphrases? Because if quotes that plays pretty hard into the hypothesis that Ippei is Shohei's fall guy tbh.

If paraphrases though, that plays pretty hard into the hypothesis that Bill Shaikin, whoever he is, is perhaps maybe shading things just a little to create a story
how much money would you take to spend years in federal prison for a crime you didn't commit, lose your career, and have your spouse leave you?

lol holy poo poo

more from that thread:

https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/1778486392361832646

plus this:

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1778477821112770949

sounds like this is an account Ippei set up for Ohtani for the purpose of shielding it from his agent/accountant/other advisors

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 11, 2024

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao
https://x.com/emmabaccellieri/status/1778488183337923041

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
This mfer lost $52k per day for 26 months straight

holy poo poo

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

bawfuls posted:

how much money would you take to spend years in federal prison for a crime you didn't commit, lose your career, and have your spouse leave you?

sounds like he was being a really good friend and Ohtani is loving him over here

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ippei literally falling on his sword like Hiromatsu to save his liege lord.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

So Ippei is simultaneously a scheming mastermind who managed to siphon $16M away from Ohtani over 4+ years without Ohtani, any of his financial people, or his agent cottoning on, and also a complete and total dipshit who openly confesses to his shady bookie that he's dogshit at gambling and good for his debts because he's stealing.

Okay.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

So Ippei is simultaneously a scheming mastermind who managed to siphon $16M away from Ohtani over 4+ years without Ohtani, any of his financial people, or his agent cottoning on, and also a complete and total dipshit who openly confesses to his shady bookie that he's dogshit at gambling and good for his debts because he's stealing.

Okay.
what is your occam's razor theory Sydin? Please fill us in

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

The only source listed in this article is a tweet made yesterday by some rando in the middle of the game so uh, I'd say this one's probably fake news.

Sports Illustrated doesn't seem like a source that would just make poo poo up, but I'm having trouble finding another source to verify it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sydin posted:

Okay.

It sounds like the old goon joke of "my ISP is angry at all the Linux ISOs that I torrent", except it's "these wagers which are totally mine and not my mysterious benefactor's"

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Sports Illustrated doesn't seem like a source that would just make poo poo up, but I'm having trouble finding another source to verify it.

The old SI maybe, isn't it just AI generated articles now that it's owned by some licensing company?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

Honestly it's the opposite: I'm unconvinced that this one guy managed to steal this much money over this much time without the presumably dozens of people and organizations with some kind of eyes on Ohtani's finances not catching wind. Like okay he set up some super secret account that he had access to and could then draw from, but the money going into that account had to come from other accounts Ohtani has that have legit eyes on them, and they would have seen these massive shifts in money. Ippei was supposedly impersonating Ohtani to his bank, but was he also doing that to his accountants? Tax attorneys? Wealth and investment managers? Or does Ohtani really just dump all of his earnings into a checking account and call it a day?

tl;dr Look honestly I can believe that Ippei was able to keep Ohtani specifically in the dark, but I cannot believe he managed to keep everybody that way. Somebody else knew, probably multiple other somebodies, but Ippei was at the center of it and is getting set up as the fall guy. Even in the best case scenario for Ohtani where he was 100% not in the know, he really needs to take a long hard look at everybody else he's got managing his money and allowed this fraud to go on.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

The old SI maybe, isn't it just AI generated articles now that it's owned by some licensing company?

Yes. Yes it is.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Honestly it's the opposite: I'm unconvinced that this one guy managed to steal this much money over this much time without the presumably dozens of people and organizations with some kind of eyes on Ohtani's finances not catching wind. Like okay he set up some super secret account that he had access to and could then draw from, but the money going into that account had to come from other accounts Ohtani has that have legit eyes on them, and they would have seen these massive shifts in money. Ippei was supposedly impersonating Ohtani to his bank, but was he also doing that to his accountants? Tax attorneys? Wealth and investment managers? Or does Ohtani really just dump all of his earnings into a checking account and call it a day?

tl;dr Look honestly I can believe that Ippei was able to keep Ohtani specifically in the dark, but I cannot believe he managed to keep everybody that way. Somebody else knew, probably multiple other somebodies, but Ippei was at the center of it and is getting set up as the fall guy. Even in the best case scenario for Ohtani where he was 100% not in the know, he really needs to take a long hard look at everybody else he's got managing his money and allowed this fraud to go on.

Ohtani's agent repeatedly tried to ask about that account but was told by Ippei that Ohtani wanted it private. Presumably it was getting some percentage of regular deposits from his income.

At several points in this saga, Nez Balelo has shown himself to be a pretty lovely agent. Both in this example and when the story first broke, he kept communicating through Ippei instead of trying to speak directly with Ohtani.

We heard years and years of stories about how close Ohtani and Ippei are, how trusted he was, how much communication with Ohtani was filtered through Ippei. Why is it hard to believe that even Ohtani's agent etc were subject to this same filter?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

SI fired almost all of their writing staff and are just churning out AI slop these days, they are absolutely not a reputable source.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1778491856411623782?t=UzXturFQSSZ8dy7lWEh6TA&s=19

Rob Manfred, as punishment you must do the needful and get Shohei on a place to Toronto for real this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

Ohtani did the cans