Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mediaphage posted:

even then he just hosed it up by walking in to where the real engineers were and insisting on a launch before they were ready

if spaceX was once the 'good company' it isn't anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder at what point reporters can stop having to pretend anything elon says is actually true on its face

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they could've stopped in say, 2016 or so.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i mean i’m confident they’re a fine company to launch satellites and poo poo, maybe the best (idk). but i can also imagine nasa being like ok the increasingly unstable ceo is becoming a national security concern

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

i’ve only worked a couple but it was mostly classic sexist talk about women “i’d gently caress her” etc. i’m a white guy tho

were you out? because i could see that going differently, depending.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

are you suggesting elon musk doesn't actually have any strategy to get "tesla robotaxis" working by august? you're saying he just...lied??

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

once he had a dude in a zentai dancing to dubstep to announce his still non existent robot was probably a breaking point for many

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mediaphage posted:

i mean i’m confident they’re a fine company to launch satellites and poo poo, maybe the best (idk). but i can also imagine nasa being like ok the increasingly unstable ceo is becoming a national security concern

Everyone competent left years ago, much like what happened at tesla

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

were you out? because i could see that going differently, depending.

probably not in terms of going around talking about it, but i wasn’t closeted either; i don’t generally discuss my personal life at work unless i’m pseudo friends with someone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Everyone competent left years ago, much like what happened at tesla

if you say so, i wouldn’t know

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

probably not in terms of going around talking about it, but i wasn’t closeted either; i don’t generally discuss my personal life at work unless i’m pseudo friends with someone

that's fair, i'm mostly thinking some of those kinda lovely attitudes dovetail but it also probably depends on the generation, and when it was.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Tesseraction posted:

:staredog: https://www.thenation.com/article/society/tesla-racism-sexual-harassment/

this is how the article starts and it doesn't slow down from here

that article is harrowing

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Interviewed with SpaceX in the hopes that they'd fly me out to Austin the week of the eclipse. Didn't manage to make it happen but I did learn that poo poo over there is held together with rubber bands, unpaid overtime, and engineers too young/enthusiastic about rockets to say no

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mediaphage posted:

if you say so, i wouldn’t know

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/24/world/spacex-justice-department-lawsuit-hiring-scn/index.html
https://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-engineer-alleges-racial-discrimination-harassment-lawsuit-2021-11?op=1
https://www.reuters.com/sustainabil...ism-2024-03-05/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Interviewed with SpaceX in the hopes that they'd fly me out to Austin the week of the eclipse. Didn't manage to make it happen but I did learn that poo poo over there is held together with rubber bands, unpaid overtime, and engineers too young/enthusiastic about rockets to say no

tbh that sounds like a lot of tech jobs

imo that’s not quite the same; that doesn’t mean he isn’t a shitstain that sucks value down with him tho

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

are you suggesting elon musk doesn't actually have any strategy to get "tesla robotaxis" working by august? you're saying he just...lied??

he didn't even say he'd have a working robotaxi service in August, he just said he'd "unveil" a robotaxi of some sort. he has made no other promises on that

everything else is just media speculation, buzz, and hype

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

it's going to be a mockup of a model 3 without a steering wheel and they'll show it going around a closed course.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

infernal machines posted:

matt levine wrote about it earlier today. basically, spacex is a private company and they have a lot of leeway with reporting whatever the gently caress they want for profit/revenue

if they're selling launches to themselves at zero cost, or whatever, who's going to stop them?

it is true that they have a lot more flexibility and leeway in financial reporting as a private company... but there are still limits, they still can't lie or present things in a materially misleading way. and given that musk lies roughly as much as trump, and tends to hire a similar type of dishonest and manipulative sycophant as his employees, i would not be the least bit surprised if the financials they share with their investors are full of misleading tricks and bullshit. (personally I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla's financials turned out to have some goofy poo poo going on behind the scenes, and that's the public company that actually gets audited)

Levine is correct that technically they don't have to follow GAAP, but if they don't, they still have to be clear about how and where they're departing from GAAP or what alternative basis of accounting they're using, or else they are misleading their investors. and they also might not have the same legal requirement as public companies to have their financial statements audited, but it would be very unusual for a company that size, with the amount of debt financing that such companies usually have, not to have banks or investors that demand an audit. it's possible! but also very unusual, and a big red flag if so. (investors in any big company, let alone an Elon Musk-led one, would be fools to accept annual financial statements that aren't audited... but I do realize that people who are still investing in Musk companies in 2024 probably ain't the most cautious, by-the-book investors.)

but if they are doing any book-cooking, it's still the kind of thing that's real hard to prove until a criminal investigation or lawsuits start flying and discovery happens, and no investor is going to want to start making lawsuits until their wallet's gotten hurt, and their wallets aren't getting hurt as long as SpaceX keeps putting out financials that say the business is OK.

typing all of that inspired me to see what financial information is available on SpaceX, and the most recent thing I can find is an Aug 2023 WSJ article that trumpets SpaceX's first quarterly profit after years of "significant but narrowing" losses and "doubling revenues". WSJ says their reporting is based on their review of "documents" - not "financial statements" or "accounting records", just... "documents".

WSJ posted:

Unlike those corporate giants, SpaceX is privately owned and keeps details about its finances under wraps, as do many other private companies. Some people with stakes in SpaceX have no idea how much money the company makes or loses. Many SpaceX investors view their holdings as a long-term bet and say they aren’t concerned about seeing results.

It is unusual to have a full look at some of the company’s recent results, as the Journal did, including costs and how SpaceX performed based on the traditional measure of profitability. The last public deep dive into its financials occurred more than six years ago in the Journal.
I'm just spitballin' here, but this sounds like:
1) Musk/SpaceX benefit from having perfect idiot bazinga investors who have fully bought into the hype and don't give a poo poo about basic due diligence like "asking to see the company's books once in a while"; and
2) after six years of not leaking anything, someone (I'm putting a $10 bet on someone instructed by Musk, if not Musk himself) leaked some financial "documents" to the Journal for the only quarter that they could manage to make look good, and have not done it again since then, for reasons

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

either that or some hideous monstrosity like the cybertruck, but in cab form.

like a perfectly elliptical minivan

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

...! posted:

the problem is definitely solved

This is what we traded the climate for.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ahhaahahahaha yessssssssss

https://twitter.com/bankstonatlaw/status/1778814093001896183

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2024/04/12/tesla-driverless-self-driving-promotion-free-florida-elon-musk/

my local paper wrote a… something

quote:

The space egg was comfortable and cool on a hot spring day. On an enormous dashboard computer tablet, he punched in a destination a few miles away. He backed out, which the tech requires, and started the magic.

The car… drove. Itself. The Tesla warned him to be prepared to take over. He tapped the steering wheel occasionally, the way one wiggles a mouse to appear active in a Microsoft Teams meeting.

The car switched lanes. The car stopped at stop signs. The car used artificial intelligence and cameras to process images in a fraction of a second to perform road tasks, let’s be honest, better than a lot of humans who are trying to put on a podcast while dipping chicken nuggets in buffalo sauce.

This was impressive, no doubt. I considered how Musk’s grip on the culture left me feeling morally, ethically and intellectually untethered, a la puking after an elated whirl on the Gravitron. In a world where car safety messaging has trended toward anti-distraction — put the device down! It can wait! — here I was, riding inside a giant cartoon phone.

quote:

Howe went to Illinois to watch the eclipse in his Tesla. He did 2,000 miles round-trip on Full Self-Driving. He listened to audiobooks, relaxed. It’s hard to do much sandwich-eating or email-checking, he said, because the car yells at you if you take your eyes off the road too long.

In my colleague’s Tesla, I remembered then, we had been heading back to the office, merging into a left turn lane, when the system made a loud chime. Neither of us knew exactly what it meant, but my friend gripped the wheel and drove the old-fashioned way for a second. Even in the most seamless moments, it seems, it’s still crucial to have control.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

https://twitter.com/lindayaX/status/1778620234175512934

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

I sincerely don't understand why that is preferable to just driving yourself? You still have to be ready to take over at a moment's notice so what's the point?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i was out and about the other day at japantown and there were a constant stream of tourists arriving by waymo self driving. It had not really occurred to me that they would be tourist attractions but I guess it makes sense that they would be.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Gubbinal Girl posted:

I sincerely don't understand why that is preferable to just driving yourself? You still have to be ready to take over at a moment's notice so what's the point?

because assholes can be super loving smug about it and crow on about their Tesla.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

how many minutes before an edit pops up that replaces Freeze Peach with "PUSSY IN BIO"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gubbinal Girl posted:

because they're not ready to take over at a moments notice

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Linda using up those free after effects tutorials

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
how does ai solve the national debt?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DarkSol posted:

Amazon subsidiary Zoox

what in the world lol

the rest of the article is pretty obvious stuff though. we knew they didn't have approval for a robotaxi service or even approval for autonomous driving without having a person ostensibly ready to take over at any moment

elon pretty obviously just tweeted that to stop TSLA's freefall. as always that was a pretty dumb move, whatever he presents on his hitler joke date is not going to match expectations and the stock will continue its dive

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

because they're not ready to take over at a moments notice

this is it

i think most of us would love the option to have real life robot cars for the least fun bits of driving but

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also this

Tesseraction posted:

:staredog: https://www.thenation.com/article/society/tesla-racism-sexual-harassment/

this is how the article starts and it doesn't slow down from here

meshes with the other class-action suit against tesla brought by other black employees. to be clear it's horrifically hosed up, and this one has sexism to boot, but it's also routine for tesla apparently

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Gubbinal Girl posted:

it is nice in stop and go traffic during rush hour

i think tesla owners just want driver but aren't rich enough to hire one

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I asked AI to give me a visual representation of "divorced" and this came out:

https://twitter.com/agarra_pala/status/1778833889999356035?t=LXM3Ppql1XXlMjIxtER0lA&s=19

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

also this

meshes with the other class-action suit against tesla brought by other black employees. to be clear it's horrifically hosed up, and this one has sexism to boot, but it's also routine for tesla apparently

i have worked in factories and while yeah it was always kinda ... like this ... but at least the ones where i worked when the management showed up the slurs mostly stopped

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Blotto_Otter posted:

it is true that they have a lot more flexibility and leeway in financial reporting as a private company... but there are still limits, they still can't lie or present things in a materially misleading way. and given that musk lies roughly as much as trump, and tends to hire a similar type of dishonest and manipulative sycophant as his employees, i would not be the least bit surprised if the financials they share with their investors are full of misleading tricks and bullshit. (personally I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla's financials turned out to have some goofy poo poo going on behind the scenes, and that's the public company that actually gets audited)

Levine is correct that technically they don't have to follow GAAP, but if they don't, they still have to be clear about how and where they're departing from GAAP or what alternative basis of accounting they're using, or else they are misleading their investors. and they also might not have the same legal requirement as public companies to have their financial statements audited, but it would be very unusual for a company that size, with the amount of debt financing that such companies usually have, not to have banks or investors that demand an audit. it's possible! but also very unusual, and a big red flag if so. (investors in any big company, let alone an Elon Musk-led one, would be fools to accept annual financial statements that aren't audited... but I do realize that people who are still investing in Musk companies in 2024 probably ain't the most cautious, by-the-book investors.)

but if they are doing any book-cooking, it's still the kind of thing that's real hard to prove until a criminal investigation or lawsuits start flying and discovery happens, and no investor is going to want to start making lawsuits until their wallet's gotten hurt, and their wallets aren't getting hurt as long as SpaceX keeps putting out financials that say the business is OK.

typing all of that inspired me to see what financial information is available on SpaceX, and the most recent thing I can find is an Aug 2023 WSJ article that trumpets SpaceX's first quarterly profit after years of "significant but narrowing" losses and "doubling revenues". WSJ says their reporting is based on their review of "documents" - not "financial statements" or "accounting records", just... "documents".

I'm just spitballin' here, but this sounds like:
1) Musk/SpaceX benefit from having perfect idiot bazinga investors who have fully bought into the hype and don't give a poo poo about basic due diligence like "asking to see the company's books once in a while"; and
2) after six years of not leaking anything, someone (I'm putting a $10 bet on someone instructed by Musk, if not Musk himself) leaked some financial "documents" to the Journal for the only quarter that they could manage to make look good, and have not done it again since then, for reasons

legally speaking, as a private company in the US: they don't need to follow GAAP, they don't need to have their financials audited, and they don't need to disclose any of that to investors. of course a savvy investor (or the kind likely to drop hundreds of millions or more) is going to want to see something, but as trump's financial fraud trial showed, they'll apparently accept pretty much anything as long as the numbers look good

as you say, all of that only becomes apparent (and any fraud illegal) when an actual outside audit or criminal investigation comes into play

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i can say from first-hand experience that fsd is absolute garbage in florida and anyone impressed by it (or thinks it's better than a human driver) is an absolute rube

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Bugsy posted:

how does ai solve the national debt?

i'd like elon to explain why any of this matters at all to anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://x.com/edzitron/status/1778840883363803438