Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Assuming the stories are real, it's fascinating the information you can gather from the 'blank spaces'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Who told these people that rear end in a top hat is two separate words?

Mr. William rear end Hole

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Taking over lifelong care for a disabled person seems like a pretty huge ask for a family member you *haven't* been estranged from for most of a decade, I don't even know how you'd even think of it as a possibility here. Guilting them back into contact, maybe?

oh you just know from the fact the lawyer was involved they tried to force it on her via a legal route

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Reeeeeeally want to know the back story that led to the last 7 years of no contact

An "incident"

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

quote:

Nevertheless, we are happy with our decision and have made arrangements for our son’s care without her.

This line really gets me - like they were clearly able to make arrangements that didn't require their daughter to be life long carer for her brother easily enough, just wanted to save some money.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Stoner Sloth posted:

This line really gets me - like they were clearly able to make arrangements that didn't require their daughter to be life long carer for her brother easily enough, just wanted to save some money.

Given how delusional the OP is, I took it to mean she had her lawyer try to make the daughter responsible for her sibling despite her protests, but obviously your interpretation makes way more sense.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

AITAH for wanting to leave my wife because she had a "go bag"??

quote:

My wife and I have been together for 5 years now, we have a 2 years old and we were planning to expand our family. I decided to tidy up my wife's closet because there was a mold problem in garage and I decided to inspect the whole house. There I found a gym bag with clothes, some dry fruits, some tampons and like $1000. I asked my wife about it and her face suddenly lost its color.

At first she told me that it was just an emergency bag in case we are hit by earthquake or something. I asked her why did she hid it from me then?? After a bit of back and forth, she sheepishly confessed that its a go bag. Basically women who need to flee their abusers are told to keep a go bag with all essential supplies like money and clothes and stuff. I asked her why exactly does she ever feel the need to do this. I have never even talked to her in loud voice, we barely have arguments, why does she thinks that I am gonna become an abuser.

She said she is not saying I am an abuser, she just wanted to do it for the peace of her mind. I dont buy her excuse, I dont think she trust me. Otherwise she wouldnt have to go so far. I took some days to mull it over and I have come to conclusion that I cant be with a woman who cant trust me and who see me as a abuser.

I asked her for separation and told her that I cant be with a woman who does not trust me. I believe that trust is foundation of relationship and if she doesnt trust me then its better we part ways. Now she is making excuses that she read too many "mommy forums" and let herself influenced by them.

She showed me the forums where they discuss "go bags" and how every women should have one. I get the logic but I cant stay with a woman who does not trust me to know that she never needed to do such a thing.

I agreed to take more time to think about it but I think divorce will let her find a man she trusts not to be an abuser, because she does not trust me.

AITAH??

**EDIT** I am taking a break, will read and reply to good faith comments later

I would like to address common things here

Statistics should not be applied to individual cases. This kind of thinking lead to racial profiling of African Americans by unfair law enforcement. Statistics does not dictate individuals and I believe that every individual has the right to not be seen as a part of group and have statistics applied to them blindely

No she does not have history of abusive relationship.

"sounds like" is not carte blanche to accuse anyone of anything. "Dingo ate my Baby" woman was also convicted because she sounded like a murderer and its a shame that you guys feel so at ease of doing something so disgusting.

A relationship without trust is no relationship

So much I could say about this moron but I'll just leave it at lol, lmao.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every woman should have a go bag

Tbf everybody should have a go bag but I digress

She needs more supplies in hers, some dried fruit sounds like a great way to wind up with a moldy ziploc in your go bag

Guy is dumb but he is feeling especially stung because he doesn’t like being stereotyped. Maybe he should examine himself to find out why he is so much more hurt by this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The government literally tells you to have a go bag in case a natural disaster happens

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

haveblue posted:

The government literally tells you to have a go bag in case a natural disaster happens

But that doesn't seem to be why she has it? She specifically says it's in case she needs to flee her abusive husband. Obviously this is one guys side of the story but having a go bag in the event your partner becomes abusive if they have no history of abuse kinda feels like getting your kid a paternity test just in case your wife cheated on you.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

haveblue posted:

I was trapped in my car on top of a hill surrounded by floodwater with half a can of pringles and two bottles of water, after that I started carrying a go bag in my car.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

But that doesn't seem to be why she has it? She specifically says it's in case she needs to flee her abusive husband. Obviously this is one guys side of the story but having a go bag in the event your partner becomes abusive if they have no history of abuse kinda feels like getting your kid a paternity test just in case your wife cheated on you.

Every woman should have a go bag, and we have an entire thread you can read for tips as to why any given woman might want to take a basic rear end precaution in case her boyfriend suddenly decides her body count is too high, or she was looking at a waiter too long, or any of a jillion other things that set dudes off in the stories posted in this very thread

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my wife has a go bag with a couple of passports and pants and a savings account that i cant access in case poo poo gets weird, this isnt offensive its smart as heck

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I'd feel pretty hosed up if I found out my wife had a similar bag packed. I don't think the guy is helping her feel more secure with his whole "I will withdraw to meditate and let you know when I have decided whether or not to divorce you" rather than, like, talking to her about it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Husband just needs his own go-bag for whatever contingency he wants, it can be his equal attention go-bag

blatman posted:

my wife has a go bag with a couple of passports and pants and a savings account that i cant access in case poo poo gets weird, this isnt offensive its smart as heck

Do you have one

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

rotinaj posted:

Every woman should have a go bag, and we have an entire thread you can read for tips as to why any given woman might want to take a basic rear end precaution in case her boyfriend suddenly decides her body count is too high, or she was looking at a waiter too long, or any of a jillion other things that set dudes off in the stories posted in this very thread

I guess thats fair but I can see why this guy, assuming the entire story is true, was put off by finding this out. I mean, I don't like the idea of my wife thinking I might some day force her to flee our home out of fear of me even if a thread and mommy forums tell her its logical.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is your go-bag supposed to be in the home you share with your potential abuser, where they can stumble upon it? Are you supposed to have one at home and one at work/a friend's house?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Larry Cum Free posted:

I'd feel pretty hosed up if I found out my wife had a similar bag packed. I don't think the guy is helping her feel more secure with his whole "I will withdraw to meditate and let you know when I have decided whether or not to divorce you" rather than, like, talking to her about it.

Assuming he is telling the truth I get the feeling that it would be pretty messed up to discover something like that but his reaction kind of taints my opinion of him. Like I would feel like I need to figure some things out so my wife is more comfortable not getting huffy and running straight to divorce.

Halloween Jack posted:

Is your go-bag supposed to be in the home you share with your potential abuser, where they can stumble upon it? Are you supposed to have one at home and one at work/a friend's house?

In abusive or controlling situations the abuser might not let them have a job or close friends so the only place the bag could be for some people is at their home. It should be generally always accessible but in a spot where the abuser won't stumble over it.

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 6, 2024

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If this guy is insecure enough that he’s divorcing her over this without even attempting to understand then she’s right to have a go bag.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

blatman posted:

Having multiple passports is usually a sign of a different kind of go bag

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I guess thats fair but I can see why this guy, assuming the entire story is true, was put off by finding this out. I mean, I don't like the idea of my wife thinking I might some day force her to flee our home out of fear of me even if a thread and mommy forums tell her its logical.

I was raised by a single mother. I have been in enough situations where a dude who had been dating her for a period of time all of a sudden got weird, and I got caught up in the center of it.

You never know what a person is capable of, and taking some basic precautions to make sure you have clothes, money, and transportation that does not rely on other people is a wise move in any situation. If someone had been in a marriage for 45 years and they just found that their significant other has the mentality of DeNiro’s character in Heat, “be ready to walk away from anything in fifteen seconds”, then they probably are totally in the right to start asking questions, IMO

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Deified Data posted:

Husband just needs his own go-bag for whatever contingency he wants, it can be his equal attention go-bag

Do you have one

yes but mine is camping gear because i'd just become a mountain man if necessary

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

B-Rock452 posted:

Assuming he is telling the truth I get the feeling that it would be pretty messed up to discover something like that but his reaction kind of taints my opinion of him. Like I would feel like I need to figure some things out so my wife is more comfortable not getting huffy and running straight to divorce.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If this guy is insecure enough that he’s divorcing her over this without even attempting to understand then she’s right to have a go bag.

I don't know, I completely understand why women might need a go bag. But I don't think it's totally unreasonable to expect a certain level of trust in a relationship either; exactly how much trust is a matter of personal preference. For example we all think a pre-nup is a good idea, but if one party absolutely doesn't want one, is it not better to for them to not proceed with the marriage? Assuming there's no previous abuse, it's not abuse if someone chooses to end a relationship when two people have very different expectations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

My,
"Divorcing my wide because I found her go-bag" has people asking a lot of questions already answered by the go-bag.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Hurt feelings aside (which I understand), there's a huge disparity in severity of the consequences: a kid that isn't yours is an awful drama, absolutely, but an abusive partner may end up straight-up murdering you.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I think both parties have valid feelings in that story, but the husband going straight to divorce is unreasonable. He's lashing out due to hurt feelings because he had probably never had to think about his wife perceiving him that way, while for her it's likely a lowkey, pervasive part of living as a woman. They're both going to have to extend a bit of charity toward the other but I don't see it happening with divorce being waved around.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FMguru posted:

It's almost certainly right there in the story - I'd wager she was the neglected glass child who always had to take a back seat to her disabled brother's needs (probably with a fair bit of parentification as well) while growing up and her parents were adamant that she'd be her brother's caretaker (and bill-payer) once they passed on, and the daughter noped out of that and went NC.

Could also be the opposite, where she was essentially forced into caring for him while she lived at home so her parents could "get a break". That pushes her to move out quicker, she goes LC/NC & her parents spend however long trying to guilt/manipulate her into helping with her brother again. She lawyers up, likely gets an RO to keep them away & everything goes through legal channels on both sides until the poo poo parents made that post.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Thread: spends years reading curated stories many of which include dudes who suddenly get weird and abusive after a long period of stability
Also thread: "a small emergency go-bag is too far man"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Halloween Jack posted:

One at home, one at work, one in the car, one with a neighbor, one buried in the woods

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
His long explanation of how he just happened to find and search the entire bag makes me think yeah maybe she would have needed that bag eventually. Just admit you don't trust your wife and were searching her stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In my very recent, actually current experience with a friend going through this, it's more important that your spouse can't cut off your access to your home, your finances, your transportation, your support network, your ability to make your own legal and medical decisions...if you have those things, you don't need a bag with a change of clothes and some granola bars. If you're a woman already in a situation where you're not allowed to drive or have a bank account, it's a very different set of considerations, obviously.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

DrBouvenstein posted:

My,
"Divorcing my wide because I found her go-bag" has people asking a lot of questions already answered by the go-bag.

She's right to leave you if you constantly refer to her as "my wide".

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

haveblue posted:

one buried in the woods

wouldn't that jeopardize the beans?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

AceClown posted:

Thread: spends years reading curated stories many of which include dudes who suddenly get weird and abusive after a long period of stability
Also thread: "a small emergency go-bag is too far man"

:yeah:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AceClown posted:

wouldn't that jeopardize the beans?

That's why you have a lot of burial sites, no one knows which one is the go bag and which one is the beans

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It's perfectly reasonable for the couple to have a shared go-bag, then individual go-bags that the other partner can't locate/access. You can't predict the future, even with the best of intent the husband could develop a brain tumor or something.

But realistically all you need these days is a burner phone, and separate credit card and bank accounts. What are clothes and cash and cashews going to get you that an uber to a convenience store won't? Unless you're fleeing the authorities, but that's a whole different set of circumstances.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
How do you know the Uber driver isn't a serial killer?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I have a bag with a few of days of clothes, a few days of meds, cash, copies of important info, a couple of books, a charging cable, etc. If I ever need to call 911 and go to the hospital or if I go through (ANOTHER) flood I can survive with some minimal comfort.

Once you watch the water come for you a second time you start to think it's good to be prepared. It was so nice to just be able to grab my cat and bag and run during the last flood i dealt with.

I've upgraded and modified the bag but ALWAYS HAVE A GO BAG.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's perfectly reasonable for the couple to have a shared go-bag, then individual go-bags that the other partner can't locate/access. You can't predict the future, even with the best of intent the husband could develop a brain tumor or something.

But realistically all you need these days is a burner phone, and separate credit card and bank accounts. What are clothes and cash and cashews going to get you that an uber to a convenience store won't? Unless you're fleeing the authorities, but that's a whole different set of circumstances.

Part of the point of a go bag is to make yourself feel more secure

If throwing a bag of nuts in there and an old pair of pants help with that feeling…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

relationship prepper