Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Troubleshooting some Azure DevOps pipelines late in the afternoon, and I think it's telling me I should finish the work for today.

e: this is a horrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Is there a concise term for the concept of a block of say, 4 hours of uninterrupted time being more productive than four 1 hour blocks of time spaced out between interruptions? At least within the scope of trying to implement any sort of technical project that requires a certain level of focus. My team has been getting interrupted by all sorts of loving stupid poo poo the past few weeks that is making some projects take longer than they should because of this, and management is just looking at total hours and going "Why not done??"

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

J posted:

Is there a concise term for the concept of a block of say, 4 hours of uninterrupted time being more productive than four 1 hour blocks of time spaced out between interruptions?

I've heard the term Thrashing used in regards to this. Humans can't switch contexts without some overhead. More context switches means more overhead until nothing gets done.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

J posted:

Is there a concise term for the concept of a block of say, 4 hours of uninterrupted time being more productive than four 1 hour blocks of time spaced out between interruptions? At least within the scope of trying to implement any sort of technical project that requires a certain level of focus. My team has been getting interrupted by all sorts of loving stupid poo poo the past few weeks that is making some projects take longer than they should because of this, and management is just looking at total hours and going "Why not done??"

Context switching is the term you’re looking for.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Thrashing or I've also heard "Cognitive Switching Penalty" which is less cool sounding

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

https://blog.rescuetime.com/context-switching/

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Places I've worked have referred to this as "focus factor" and included it in time estimates.

Your exact example isn't great though because there exists a time management tool called the pomodoro method that intentionally splits up focus time along the 30 minute ish boundary to improve productivity. I'm a big fan of it myself.

You're gonna need something like that you get interrupted x often which is y expensive because it takes us z long to regather focus and context so we can start productive work again.

It might start some awkward questions like "why does it take you 20 minutes to refocus on a task after being interrupted?" which hopefully you have some good answers for.

Basically you have to be careful pursuing this line of thought with management because if you aren't prepared for the conversation you can accidentally communicate that "it's delayed because we aren't good at our jobs" which nobody would appreciate.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The first time I read about context switching was this great article from way back in the day.

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2001/02/12/human-task-switches-considered-harmful/

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

J posted:

Focus time. Cortana has helpfully booked some for me in my O365 calendar automatically.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

J posted:

I'm forced to use a calendar app called Clockwise that calls this focus time. Some people love it for giving them larger blocks of focus time. I hate it because my meetings constantly dance around my calendar and I never know when they'll actually occur.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

12 rats tied together posted:

It might start some awkward questions like "why does it take you 20 minutes to refocus on a task after being interrupted?" which hopefully you have some good answers for.
This can also open an ADA can of worms

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What are the different names you've heard for the tilde key?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

sometimes I call # the tic tac toe sign to make people mad

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

grave key or squiggly line key

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I still call ! a "bang", and it confuses SO MANY people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Methanar posted:

Don’t call it a hashtag

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Don’t call it a hashtag

hash is acceptable though

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

chin up everything sucks posted:

I still call ! a "bang", and it confuses SO MANY people.

hash bang user bin bash

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pound bang.

Are there any recommendations for resources for starting up freelancing? I guess the first thing I need to figure out is a reasonable rate, it would be a pretty big promotion from what I've been doing (I'm confident in my ability to do it, my current company hamstrings the hell out of me), then I think I would want to make a single member LLC, open a business bank account for accounting purposes, figure out estimated taxes based on a forecast of income, then find a small business / self employment accountant with a good reputation to actually do the taxes.

Does that sound about right? I'm in CO in the USA FWIW.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

As long as you don't call / and \ whack and backwhack

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CLAM DOWN posted:

As long as you don't call / and \ whack and backwhack

:ohdear:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I usually call it twiddle unless I concentrate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pound bang.

Are there any recommendations for resources for starting up freelancing? I guess the first thing I need to figure out is a reasonable rate, it would be a pretty big promotion from what I've been doing (I'm confident in my ability to do it, my current company hamstrings the hell out of me), then I think I would want to make a single member LLC, open a business bank account for accounting purposes, figure out estimated taxes based on a forecast of income, then find a small business / self employment accountant with a good reputation to actually do the taxes.

I don’t know about the legal side of things in the states but everybody who does this tends to undercharge, so don’t do that.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pound bang.

make sure to to maintain 2-3 fulltime jobs at once

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm trying to figure out what's a fair rate. I'm inclined to say double what it would be on salary, but it's going to be very part time, so maybe more is reasonable? I'm still going to do my day job since I expect maybe 5 hours per week on average from this.

My day job is an average of 16-20 hours per week of actual work and 20-24 of shitposting, so this would still leave me at an average of 4-5 hours of shitposting per work day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm trying to figure out what's a fair rate. I'm inclined to say double what it would be on salary, but it's going to be very part time, so maybe more is reasonable? I'm still going to do my day job since I expect maybe 5 hours per week on average from this.

My day job is an average of 16-20 hours per week of actual work and 20-24 of shitposting, so this would still leave me at an average of 4-5 hours of shitposting per work day.

$150

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Does anyone pronounce ACLs as "ackles"? My co-worker does this and it confused me for the longest time. I've always heard it pronounced letter-by-letter "Aay See El".

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Weaponized Autism posted:

Does anyone pronounce ACLs as "ackles"? My co-worker does this and it confused me for the longest time. I've always heard it pronounced letter-by-letter "Aay See El".

I've heard both though I personally use aay see el

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

How do you pronounce SCSI?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

This is the worst thing I’ve learned all week.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Methanar posted:

I personally use octothorpe because I am a pedantic rear end in a top hat.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Yes, But usually letter by letter. Also heard “nackles” for NACLs in aws

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dick Trauma posted:

I mean it's always been scuzzi.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Dick Trauma posted:

Scuzzy, as god intended

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I mean I wasn't asking for a number from you guys, but a generalist sysadmin around here getting paid fairly seems to be around 100k/yr so I was thinking $100/hr. OTOH since I'm probably going to be working somewhere around 250-300 hours per year I'm worried that taxes and an accountant will cut into it too much at that rate. My business partner and I are going to be partially (at least at first) replacing the client's incompetent MSP, which I'm pretty sure is charging at least $200 if not $300/hr, I'm not sure if he got that information from the client (he already knows them, which is part of why we got this), so whatever I ask it will probably be under what they are paying. I don't want to overcharge, just get a reasonable rate.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If you’re going to go off on your own, going off of a pay scale for an FTE in determining your rate is not how you want to go. Also back of the napkin, 100k fully loaded is about $65ish/hour. A full time employee is usually anywhere from 35 to 60 percent more expensive fully loaded when accounting for PTO, health insurance, and all the other stuff companies need to pay for. You don’t get any of that when you’re doing your own thing.

You also need to prepare for two things: 1) eventually leaving your full time job and 2) eventually running out of billable work. You do this by not setting some bullshit rate before you peace out of FTE world and charging enough that you can make it when the work dries up.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I’m not made of syllables. While you’re sitting around spelling it out all day I’m out there killing it.

(Scuzzy, sequel, saita, sass, sifs, eldap, eldif)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was kind of planning on keeping my day job since this will be fairly minimal work, as is my day job. That way I still have insurance. If I was going to quit my day job it would be after finding a lot more side work and getting approved for CO's medicaid for working adults with disabilities program. But I don't necessarily see that being likely. This is at least partially to build up more experience than I can get at my current job so I have a bunch of stuff to point at if and when it runs out and I go for a more senior role.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean I wasn't asking for a number from you guys, but a generalist sysadmin around here getting paid fairly seems to be around 100k/yr so I was thinking $100/hr. OTOH since I'm probably going to be working somewhere around 250-300 hours per year I'm worried that taxes and an accountant will cut into it too much at that rate. My business partner and I are going to be partially (at least at first) replacing the client's incompetent MSP, which I'm pretty sure is charging at least $200 if not $300/hr, I'm not sure if he got that information from the client (he already knows them, which is part of why we got this), so whatever I ask it will probably be under what they are paying. I don't want to overcharge, just get a reasonable rate.

A good Labour charge-out rate is 3 times the hourly rate the person gets. this covers the on costs, downtime, business profit, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I mean it's always been scuzzi.

In the old days there was an alternative that I never used because it was creepy.

quote:

Until at least February 1982, ANSI developed the specification as "SASI" and "Shugart Associates System Interface" however, the committee documenting the standard would not allow it to be named after a company. Almost a full day was devoted to agreeing to name the standard "Small Computer System Interface", which Boucher intended to be pronounced "sexy", but Dal Allan pronounced the new acronym as "scuzzy" and that stuck.