Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Doing a third run, no 750 like I said I would, and I've rolled Thief/Berserker/Ninja thus far. Pretty interesting! I like it! But after getting the fire-powered ship and before travelling to Crescent Island, I passed by those southern islands and wondered what was on them...

HOLY CRAP

NOPE NOPE NOPE not fighting THAT. I can't even dent it with my party!

Goddamnit, ancient civilization, turn off your death bots when you're done using them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

FeatherFloat posted:

Doing a third run, no 750 like I said I would, and I've rolled Thief/Berserker/Ninja thus far. Pretty interesting! I like it! But after getting the fire-powered ship and before travelling to Crescent Island, I passed by those southern islands and wondered what was on them...

HOLY CRAP

NOPE NOPE NOPE not fighting THAT. I can't even dent it with my party!

Goddamnit, ancient civilization, turn off your death bots when you're done using them!

Berserker's axes and hammers actually ignores 3/4 of the enemy's defense, so they should be able to damage it somewhat. Well, maybe, I never actually tried using Berserker against it. Prototype has 100 defense, and 25 is still pretty drat high at that stage of the game, so I dunno.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Bufuman posted:

Berserker's axes and hammers actually ignores 3/4 of the enemy's defense, so they should be able to damage it somewhat. Well, maybe, I never actually tried using Berserker against it. Prototype has 100 defense, and 25 is still pretty drat high at that stage of the game, so I dunno.

I could probably turn someone into a Beserker and Hi-Potion spam just to see if I could... but there's no real gain in it for me. Though it looks like a party with a Beastmaster could catch it and release it for Mega Flare...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Scrolls can dent it. The main purpose is to get dark matter, but you don't need to get dark matter. It doesn't have any decent magic multiplier so the mega flare is useless, better off using bear elemental magic.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

HotAndColdAF posted:

I had almost the exact same party on my last run (Red Mage rather than Mystic Knight), and I can confirm that a Sword Dance while dual wielding will indeed attack separately with both weapons. So you'll get your standard 9999 out of the Chicken Knife and then another few thousand out of the second weapon. Absolutely worth doing. Drain Sword would probably give Dancer better survivability, but I think with a team like redreader's, a good offense is the best defense.

Yeah afaik dual wield will always attack with both weapons. It works with jump too which is about the only way jump can be made useful. I would give the dancer the chicken knife, ninja gets good weapons independent of the knife and twin lance gets pretty dated by the time you are in the rift.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mirthless posted:

Yeah afaik dual wield will always attack with both weapons. It works with jump too which is about the only way jump can be made useful. I would give the dancer the chicken knife, ninja gets good weapons independent of the knife and twin lance gets pretty dated by the time you are in the rift.

Dual-Lance Jump really IS pretty sweet. In fact, it makes a really nice strategy for Shinryu; a Jump with two Dragon Lances hits for roughly 15,000 damage, AND it can avoid Shinryu's initial Tidal Wave if you're wearing Hermes Sandals. In a normal (non-FJF) run, doing this with everyone can kill Shinryu and his 55,000 HP before he ever gets to hit you.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mirthless posted:

Twin Lance is never particularly out of date. It does more damage than the Assassin's Dagger vs Treedeath and that's about the highest defense of any required fight. If you have a berserker you can set berserk on your ninja and a pair of twin lances will shred basically everything, each being only a bit less powerful than the chicken knife.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 3, 2014

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Another tree bites the dust! :toot:

One of the stranger teams I've run so far. Yeah, I had access to two great jobs, but I honestly forgot my options several times throughout the game. I completely forgot Mighty Guard existed and ate a full-powered Almagest to the face from it :downs:, and forgot about using Goblin Punch to guarantee hits on Omega. I even forgot to pick up the Excalipoor, although I forget if Blue Mages can innately use it. As for Chemist, to make the run more interesting/less tedious, I decided to do an (almost) no-!Mix run. I only used !Mix on Omega, Shinryu, a Hellraiser and a Stingray, and otherwise I avoided using it. I could have avoided using !Mix on Shinryu and the Hellraiser/Stingray, but it was much more convenient to skip the grind to Berserk on the Wonder Wand and RNG reliance on the Dancing Dagger. Still, Even without !Mix, my team was powerful, and I even skipped Necrophobe with the confidence that I'd take down Neo Exdeath on my first try (which I did :shh:)

As an added twist, I ran this team on my in-progress FFVA hack which changed !Gaia so that all the spells were equally likely to be cast, and Shadowflare had a 2% chance of being cast. Although it doesn't improve Geomancers much, at least it makes !Gaia more fun to play around with. A lot of the funnier moments were seeing cave in one-shot any poor saps that got hit by it (Adamantoise and Antlion come to mind.) Seeing the occasional Shadowflare was always worth a chuckle as well.

My Blue Mage ended up being a pseudo-Red Mage, alternating between hitting things and casting magic. The only spells I used on a regular basis was White Wind and Goblin Punch, the rest were either forgotten (Aeroga and Mighty Guard :downs:) or situationally useful.

The Time Mage was pretty standard stuff, good buffs, although due to a non-Fiesta run I had earlier, I forgot that they had damaging options in Comet and Meteor :downs: Even without that, their ability to equip staves and their buffs were more than enough to help the team out. On a side note, there's nothing quite like casting Reset until that one Banish spell hits its target. :v:

Using a Chemist without mix was... actually pretty fun! Not having to farm for ingredients made the run much more expedient (although I did farm 30 Turtle Shells in World 1), and even without farming I still had enough ingredients to take care of Omega (5 Dragon Fangs :v:) !Drink was a good skill to pass around, as the !Drinkers of the team would always down the Goliath Tonics for the doubled HP, and otherwise drank Hero Cocktails and Power Drinks for the damage buff, occasionally drinking Speed Shakes and Iron Drafts as necessary.

Now to get my no750 run started, and hopefully I won't forget to register properly :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

dis astranagant posted:

Do note that sawing Omega's face off with a limp wristed blue mage and a coral sword takes ages. Try reflecting a mind blast at him every now and then to maybe speed things up.

I'm running Blue Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Beastmaster, I'm assuming Syldra is a better choice for damaging Omega than Coral Sword, and I want all three of my other party members to be Calming?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm running Blue Mage/Summoner/Geomancer/Beastmaster, I'm assuming Syldra is a better choice for damaging Omega than Coral Sword, and I want all three of my other party members to be Calming?

Syldra is air, not lightning, despite spewing what looks like lightning at enemies.

E: and for things other than Omega, air knife syldra is the hardest hitting summon since you don't have a chemist to boost water.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Omega absorbs all elements but lightning, which it is weak to. You're probably going to be busting out Ramuh, as he slightly out damages Bahamut here due to absurd magic defense. Coral sword might still work better because Omega has shell up at all times.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So I grinded all day and got at least 2 dudes to max a class (one maxed ninja class so far so at least 2 dual-wielders, yay!)

Then I decided 'let's carry on sans faq until I need it!' And then I arrived at gilgame's cave and died, the end.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm only on my second run of the fiesta and I can already tell that I can never play this game the "real" way again. Fiesta is way more fun.

Having a bit of trouble with Titan in my 750 run. I've got Black Mage, Summoner, Bard, and Dancer and it's just a matter of survivability. I'm thinking I need to make somebody a dedicated Bard with !Hide and just hope my remaining two characters can out-damage him, but I'm also trying not to break rods. :v: May need to do a little leveling.

I suppose I could just try to confuse a Gaelicat with !Dance. Might be my best bet.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I (bm/mystic knight sorcerer/ninja/dancer) am off to exdeath's castle next.

Is there any kind of weapon or accessory that I should try to aim for, or make sure I get? the missables in final fantasy can be super irritating.
Thanks for all of your help so far, everyone.

edit: lol I party wiped at 'sealed castle' trying to run away from some 'doom ultra kill your face' dragon. Last save was a bit ago so gently caress this poo poo for now!

redreader fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 3, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

redreader posted:

Is there any kind of weapon or accessory that I should try to aim for, or make sure I get? the missables in final fantasy can be super irritating.

You should definitely get the Twinlance, and there's a couple shields in chests scattered about. If you feel like fighting all the Esper bosses, Carbuncle is vulnerable to Break Sword in its second form.

Since you are able to throw weapons, you should fight Gilgamesh and get Excalipoor, too.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

redreader posted:

edit: lol I party wiped at 'sealed castle' trying to run away from some 'doom ultra kill your face' dragon. Last save was a bit ago so gently caress this poo poo for now!

Yeah, the dragons can be jerks about letting you run away. Come to think of it, so can enemy groups that include those drat golems. I recommend putting !Smoke on someone for that reason.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
To get the black mage's best magic power transfer, do I only need to get !Black level 6? Or do I need to master the job and get MP+30%? I'm assuming the former since I'm obviously not using a freelancer, but wanted to confirm before I waste time getting people 450 extra AP each.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

!Black Level 6 gives the full Black Mage Magic stat.

Mastering Black Mage just gives the stat to Freelancer and Mime.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Fantastic, thanks. That's gonna make things a lot easier.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure !black level 1 will give the black mage's stat

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ugato posted:

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure !black level 1 will give the black mage's stat

Not quite. It gives something like 15 less than a black mage's stat.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

dis astranagant posted:

Not quite. It gives something like 15 less than a black mage's stat.

Specifically:

BLACK
Magic Power = Black Mage Magic Power - 3 * (6 - Black Mage Job Level)

So yeah, 15 less if you have !Black 1 (so 40 + character mod).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yes, the leveled magic abilities all scale their stat boost with the level of the ability.

Here's the full list, to my understanding. In all cases of getting stats from abilities, there's an unspoken "whatever is highest" between the job's natural stat and any abilities you have set. So none of these will ever decrease a stat, only potentially increase it. Numbers in parentheses are in comparison to a freelancer with no jobs mastered.

:siren: WIND JOBS: :siren:

Knight:
Two-handed gives knight strength - 10. (+13)
Equip Swords gives knight strength. (+23)

Monk:
Barehanded gives monk strength. (+26)

Thief:
Artful Dodger gives thief agility. (+16)

White Mage:
!White 1 gives white mage magic power - 10. (+15)
!White 2 gives white mage magic power - 8. (+17)
!White 3 gives white mage magic power - 6. (+19)
!White 4 gives white mage magic power - 4. (+21)
!White 5 gives white mage magic power - 2. (+23)
!White 6 gives white mage magic power. (+25)

Black Mage:
!Black 1 gives black mage magic power - 15. (+16)
!Black 2 gives black mage magic power - 12. (+19)
!Black 3 gives black mage magic power - 9. (+22)
!Black 4 gives black mage magic power - 6. (+25)
!Black 5 gives black mage magic power - 3. (+28)
!Black 6 gives black mage magic power. (+31)

Blue Mage:
!Blue gives blue mage magic power. (+23)

:siren: WATER JOBS: :siren:

Berserker:
Equip Axes gives berserker strength. (+21)

Mystic Knight:
!Spellblade 1 gives mystic knight strength and magic power - 10. (+4/-9)
!Spellblade 2 gives mystic knight strength and magic power - 8. (+6/-7)
!Spellblade 3 gives mystic knight strength and magic power - 6. (+8/-5)
!Spellblade 4 gives mystic knight strength and magic power - 4. (+10/-3)
!Spellblade 5 gives mystic knight strength and magic power - 2. (+12/-1)
!Spellblade 6 gives mystic knight strength and magic power. (+14/+1)

Time Mage:
!Time 1 gives time mage magic power - 10. (+14)
!Time 2 gives time mage magic power - 8. (+16)
!Time 3 gives time mage magic power - 6. (+18)
!Time 4 gives time mage magic power - 4. (+20)
!Time 5 gives time mage magic power - 2. (+22)
!Time 6 gives time mage magic power. (+24)

Summoner:
!Summon 1 gives summoner magic power - 16. (+17)
!Summon 2 gives summoner magic power - 12. (+21)
!Summon 3 gives summoner magic power - 8. (+25)
!Summon 4 gives summoner magic power - 4. (+29)
!Summon 5 gives summoner magic power. (+33)

Red Mage:
!Red 1 gives red mage magic power - 6. (+2)
!Red 2 gives red mage magic power - 3. (+5)
!Red 3 gives red mage magic power. (+8)
!Dualcast gives red mage magic power. (+8)

Another formula I've read has !Red as -2, -1, 0 (so +6, +7, +8 respectively) for its three levels. If anyone's in a convenient situation to check, that'd be great.

:siren: FIRE JOBS: :siren:

Ninja:
Ninja does not pass on any stats via abilities. Pity because it's got high agility and respectable strength.

Ranger:
Equip Bows gives ranger strength and agility. (+16/+12)

Beastmaster:
Equip Whips gives beastmaster strength and agility. (+13/+1)

Geomancer:
Geomancer does not pass on any stats via abilities. It's got decent enough magic power, and probably would have passed that on if Equip Bells were a thing.

Bard:
Equip Harps gives bard agility and magic power. (+8/+11)

:siren: EARTH JOBS: :siren:

Dragoon:
Equip Lances gives dragoon strength. (+18)

Samurai:
Equip Katanas gives samurai strength. (+19)

Chemist:
Chemist does not pass on any stats via abilities. No big loss since its stats are boring as gently caress.

Dancer:
Dancer does not pass on any stats via abilities. Like chemist, this is no big loss.

:siren: FIESTA-IRRELEVANT JOBS: :siren:

Necromancer:
!Dark Arts 1 gives necromancer magic power - 16. (+13)
!Dark Arts 2 gives necromancer magic power - 12. (+17)
!Dark Arts 3 gives necromancer magic power - 8. (+21)
!Dark Arts 4 gives necromancer magic power - 4. (+25)
!Dark Arts 5 gives necromancer magic power. (+29)

Oracle:
Oracle does not pass on any stats via abilities. If you want its colossal magic power (+36!) you'll either have to play as an oracle (ugh), or master it for mime/freelancer.

Cannoneer:
Cannoneer does not pass on any stats via abilities. It's got boring stats though.

Gladiator:
Gladiator does not pass on any stats via abilities. Like with oracle, if you want its high strength (+26, tied with monk), you'll either have to play as one or master it for mime/freelancer.

Mime and Freelancer:
Mime does not pass on any stats via abilities, and freelancer has no abilities to learn. They both, however, inherit stats from mastered jobs, giving them very nice hassle-free stats in a normal playthrough. (If the only mastered jobs give decreases to a given stat compared to mime/freelancer's natural stat, they stick with the natural stat, like all other cases of "whatever is highest".)

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
That is some nice stat stuff, Vil.

Anyone know if I can get Reflect on my White Mage BEFORE Barrier Tower? I want to get Lv. 3 Flare from the treasure chest Red Dragons if I can, now that I have Control for once.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Vil posted:

Oracle:
Oracle does not pass on any stats via abilities. If you want its colossal magic power (+36!) you'll either have to play as an oracle (ugh), or master it for mime/freelancer.

Gladiator:
Gladiator does not pass on any stats via abilities. Like with oracle, if you want its high strength (+26, tied with monk), you'll either have to play as one or master it for mime/freelancer.

These things annoy me. It's just more of Square being super lazy with the GBA ports. FF4A had a load of bugs as I recall, and FF6A had some pretty bad oversights as well (most notably, Edgar and Mog's ultimate spears from the bonus dungeon did NOT pack the 2x bonus for Jump that all other spears did, aside from the Impartisan). I'm starting to think that the GBA ports was when Square started to go from an amazing game company to a terrible one.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, the new items in FF6 GBA were pretty sloppily coded if I recall. I want to say some of the new ones in FF4 and FF5 were too, but I never really looked into it too much. I don't know how much of that was the items just not getting flagged for things, and how much was the game's code not properly checking for flags in items with an extended item ID.

The original games already had close to or fully 256 items, so they needed to add an extra bit - at least - to the item ID to allow for adding more. It's entirely possible that some of the code that said "okay, this is what you're equipping, look up its flags to know what special algorithms to run" only took the least significant 8 bits as input. So it might look up, say, 1-0F and think it was just plain old 0F (or 0-0F), which might be some random consumable or other (which of course wouldn't have any special equipment flags).

All that said, it ended up being relatively moot for me. Mostly because if you were powerful enough to get those shiny new goodies in the game's respective new optional dungeon, you were powerful enough that you didn't need them. And in many cases, even if they had been coded correctly, they were still outdone by existing items from the base game. Which is another disappointment.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bufuman posted:

That is some nice stat stuff, Vil.

Anyone know if I can get Reflect on my White Mage BEFORE Barrier Tower? I want to get Lv. 3 Flare from the treasure chest Red Dragons if I can, now that I have Control for once.

No, pretty sure you can't get the Reflect spell until you after you finish the tower. But if you have Control, you also have Catch- if you catch Neons (the ghost-looking guys in the Barrier Tower), they cast reflect on a random team member. Outfit your team with Reflect Rings and release a Neon to put Reflect on your opponent.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Vil posted:

And in many cases, even if they had been coded correctly, they were still outdone by existing items from the base game. Which is another disappointment.

poo poo, man, that was the same problem Chrono Trigger DS had with the Lost Sanctum. A whole new area with a bunch of awesome new items for your team members to wear! Except that they're actually weaker than the original endgame-level items that you can go get the exact same instant that the Sanctum opens up.

The fact that the Lost Sanctum was pretty much all super-irritating fetch quests just made it much worse. Well, at least the bosses were a challenge, which is something CT seriously lacked.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Edit: oops, nm.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Bufuman posted:

These things annoy me. It's just more of Square being super lazy with the GBA ports. FF4A had a load of bugs as I recall, and FF6A had some pretty bad oversights as well (most notably, Edgar and Mog's ultimate spears from the bonus dungeon did NOT pack the 2x bonus for Jump that all other spears did, aside from the Impartisan). I'm starting to think that the GBA ports was when Square started to go from an amazing game company to a terrible one.

As I'm told, FF5A was the only one of the three done in-house at SquareEnix, hence why it's the highest quality of the three.

FF4A was pretty buggy in the original release, but they polished it up and fixed basically everything for the european version. That one's pretty nice, though the PSP remake is better still.

I can't speak to anything in FF6A because I haven't played it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Run two complete, this one was a lot more fun than my first. 750 is amazingly fun. Bard was OP as usual but I'd never really used a dancer before and it was awesomely fun. Summoner is completely broken.

Poque posted:

it's now August here - I pledge $1 (up to $30) for every NEW goon NeoExdeath kill from here til the end of the thing, and an additional $20 for any new NED kill that I personally do, no limit.

Still in effect. the first part is up to $4 for now.

(doesn't have amount, promise it's $20)

time to kill omega and shin for the first time(s) ever, too!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, that's as good an excuse as any for me to finish !fight:the run.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

That wasn't so bad! Wonder Wand to berserk, then ENDLESS golems while waiting for Sword Dance to proc for Shinryu, and triple !Sing of Romeo's Ballad while also waiting for Sword Dance to proc on Omega. Probably easier ways to do it, buuuut...done!

Do I tweet #victory for the superboss victories or is that something different?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Poque posted:

That wasn't so bad! Wonder Wand to berserk, then ENDLESS golems while waiting for Sword Dance to proc for Shinryu, and triple !Sing of Romeo's Ballad while also waiting for Sword Dance to proc on Omega. Probably easier ways to do it, buuuut...done!

Do I tweet #victory for the superboss victories or is that something different?

#victoryomega and #victoryshinryu

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
There are helpful links for all the commands in the "commands" section of the Help page on the four job fiesta site. Specifically, you want:
#Victory: Tweet this after beating Exdeath.
#VictoryShinryu: Tweet this after beating Shinryu.
#VictoryOmega: Tweet this after beating Omega.

Don't forget to include images for each one.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Schwartzcough posted:

There are helpful links for all the commands in the "commands" section of the Help page on the four job fiesta site. Specifically, you want:
#Victory: Tweet this after beating Exdeath.
#VictoryShinryu: Tweet this after beating Shinryu.
#VictoryOmega: Tweet this after beating Omega.

Don't forget to include images for each one.

I totally never saw the links beyond "Rules" in the Help section. :negative:

Thanks, both of you!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Poque posted:

For Omega, double Romeo's Ballad works fine (just be sure to stagger them slightly rather than using them back-to-back with a bigger gap waiting for both), while you can have the third singer use Swift Song (which can eventually get to the point of only needing a single person to do Romeo's Ballad) or Hero's Rime (which will up the damage of your fourth person who's presumably plinking away at Omega the whole time). Hero's Rime is probably the better choice there.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Poque posted:

Wonder Wand to berserk, then ENDLESS golems while waiting for Sword Dance to proc for Shinryu, and triple !Sing of Romeo's Ballad while also waiting for Sword Dance to proc on Omega. Probably easier ways to do it, buuuut...done!

Wait... gently caress I have a summoner and forgot to get Golem! Not that it stopped me from killing Shinryu, but still, drat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FeyerbrandX posted:

Wait... gently caress I have a summoner and forgot to get Golem! Not that it stopped me from killing Shinryu, but still, drat.

The Golem recruitment fight shows up in parts of the void and you can still go back and get him from Drakenvale at any tme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

The Golem recruitment fight shows up in parts of the void and you can still go back and get him from Drakenvale at any tme.

I know, but the point is moot. I just threw hyrdas at him until he stopped moving. No elegance, just :black101:

• Locked thread