Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Just played my first round of SS13 in a few years. Made Sarin, put it in a monkey then finished the monkey with a water and pottasium pill which in turn blew me and the container of welding fuel I forgot we left in the lab up, blowing off my leg and as well as de limbing the other poor chemist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Just played my first round of SS13 in a few years. Made Sarin, put it in a monkey then finished the monkey with a water and pottasium pill which in turn blew me and the container of welding fuel I forgot we left in the lab up, blowing off my leg and as well as de limbing the other poor chemist

Chem never changes.

Islamic Joe
Sep 28, 2007
I like to join CS servers filled with morons and play "see how many times I can get called a terrorist"

Inadequately posted:

looting cash stashes and going on explosive shotgun rampages within the first five minutes of the round
how would one go about doing this? asking for a friend

is this something you'd find in space? not familiar with cash stashes

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Islamic Joe posted:

how would one go about doing this? asking for a friend

is this something you'd find in space? not familiar with cash stashes

It involved couch abuse and was nerfed accordingly

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Archenteron posted:

It involved couch abuse and was nerfed accordingly

not abuse as much as some broken code, it's not players' fault if they do stuff the game was told to do. but yes the bug is fixed and now couch cash works as intended.

btw the bug was couches could have up to a million credits instead of the 1500 or so it was meant to be.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Mimesweeper posted:

not abuse as much as some broken code, it's not players' fault if they do stuff the game was told to do. but yes the bug is fixed and now couch cash works as intended.

btw the bug was couches could have up to a million credits instead of the 1500 or so it was meant to be.

That's neat. I got a million credits from a couch once and thought it was just super rare, ha!

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Come back to this thread for the first time in a long while to say I missed this lovely game and I'm so happy to see new people piling in.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Played my first Antag round as a vampire, accidentally got caught in like one minute, just decided to open all the plasma and o2 canisters in toxins and set off igniters before security came and got me.

I got a trial, noting my preference with a type O attorney, so a incoherent drunk Swedish security officer quit to become my lawyer, as well as a slick city-slicken fellow who showed up later. My legal dream team got the trial rolling. Once security was distracted with our sublime legal arguments I managed to quietly free myself and the zombie who got added onto trial at the last minute with me from our handcuffs.

Some greytider started breaking courtroom windows, so as the very overwhelmed security piled on him I stunned the inattentive officer guarding me and turned into a bat, slipping out into the hallway. Messed around, kipnapped people wandering the halls and sucked some blood, but didn’t kill anyone, or at least I left them with enough blood to run into the hallway to pass out somewhere they could be found. My old attorney chased me down to demand payment, so I happily obliged, waved goodbye and put on a suit to go fly around the station.

I didn’t realize that the stars were burning me until I was outside security and nearly critical and I couldn’t find a way in, so I died embarrassingly pounding on a window outside medical trying to get to safety.

Good times.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

'Vampire fucks around, escapes justice, pays his lawyer and forgets that starlight is sunlight' is basically peak vampire.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

cock hero flux posted:

toxins explodes at the start of the round

chemistry explodes somewhere around 15 minutes in

engineering explodes around 30 minutes in

genetics explodes around 35 minutes in

hydroponics explodes around 45 minutes in

mining is a wild card and can explode at any point

I don't know if it's still true but back in the day medical would get exploded like 90% of the time

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If starlight is also sunlight why can vampires go out at night? :colbert:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

today i learned that you can randomly start the round with the obsidian crown as your hat trinket

but i was a staff assistant so of i course did nothing useful with this crown, hopped onto the shuttle dual-wielding smoking joints, and died to accidental laser fire when a changeling went horror mode

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Synthbuttrange posted:

If starlight is also sunlight why can vampires go out at night? :colbert:

Same reason you aren't gestating a bunch of tumours from constant exposure to background cosmic radiation; the ozone layer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

future note: inject vampire with ozone?!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

I don't know if it's still true but back in the day medical would get exploded like 90% of the time

medbay starts exploded

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

dmboogie posted:

today i learned that you can randomly start the round with the obsidian crown as your hat trinket

but i was a staff assistant so of i course did nothing useful with this crown, hopped onto the shuttle dual-wielding smoking joints, and died to accidental laser fire when a changeling went horror mode

That was my first Ling round since coming back, I apologize for not being more awesome.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Don't feel too bad. My first antag round I had gotten some cool land mines out of a crate. I set them up and waited. Then someone asked for help, so I ran over to help. Guess who forgot she had put the landmines down?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I dont care thats fantastic

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Ha ha, good thing I'm a competant syndie. :smug:

*presses BOMB instead of MISSILE for the hundredth time*

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Aerofallosov posted:

Don't feel too bad. My first antag round I had gotten some cool land mines out of a crate. I set them up and waited. Then someone asked for help, so I ran over to help. Guess who forgot she had put the landmines down?

That brings a tear to my eye.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

a lovely bit of art seen on 2 today

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Cicadalek posted:

a lovely bit of art seen on 2 today

:sbahj:

I warned you about space, bro!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sweet bee and hella jeff

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What's a good way to actually contribute to the station without knowing what you're doing? I've played chef/bartender/botanist enough times to kinda-sorta be able to craft and screw around, and janitor enough to learn the station, but I'm finding all four super boring. On the flip side, I guarantee that trying to do something important like engineer/QM/science guy will be an exercise in frustration for the rest of the station. So should I just start playing assistant and running around hacking/stealing/getting murdered until I actually have a decent grip on things?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
QM isn't all that important to running the station and scientists are actively detrimental to the station, and both are fun, open ended jobs that have access to a lot of fun toys.

QM will get requests once in a blue moon, but it's pretty much just a case of buying the item and delivering it so you can get back to whatever pet project you're working on.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, that might be worth taking a look at then- I'm mainly hesitant to do anything too technical because if I actually have to interact with other players and be capable of doing what my job is supposed to entail, I'm utterly screwed. ^^

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Most players on goonstation are more than willing to help you learn the ropes if you ask them. They may also murder you afterwards but that can be entertaining too.

Also use mentorhelp.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The main downside to QM is the lack of senseless destructive grief-filled items fun stuff to buy once you figure out how to reliably make the station moderately rich.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

The main downside to QM is the lack of senseless destructive grief-filled items fun stuff to buy once you figure out how to reliably make the station moderately rich.

At that point all that's left to do is secede from the station and gradually annex neighbouring departments.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Mentorhelp:
You're my assassination target. Good loving luck, scrub.

Mentors, what do YOU do??

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Take them under your wing, show them the wonders of playing antag, then stab them at the end of the round?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Barotrauma is real good and needs a thread of its own, it’s very SS13.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dont Touch ME posted:

Mentorhelp:
You're my assassination target. Good loving luck, scrub.

Mentors, what do YOU do??

i once taught a guy how to make a horrible poison mix and then upon realizing that he had swiped the beaker and sleepypenned it all into me the only emotion i felt was pride

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Demiurge4 posted:

Barotrauma is real good and needs a thread of its own, it’s very SS13.

I played a lot of it when it was free. Is it worth the $25 bux now.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I remember learning to play SS13 and being terrified of causing an explosion in chem because it would be "out of character"

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dont Touch ME posted:

I played a lot of it when it was free. Is it worth the $25 bux now.

I didn't play the free version, but I do like this game even though it is visibly pretty barebones.

I'd say the big issue for me right now is that a lot of things are too visible. As soon as someone rolls up and puts cyanide in you, you get a big icon on your HUD that says 'YOU HAVE CYANIDE POISONING'. Medical really needs to be placed behind equipment, but mechanically I think it has huge potential for people modding in crazy systems like SS13 has. The price point is a bit meh but me and some mates have been having tons of fun messing around with it and there's a VERY robust editor where you can make your own submarine.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

dylguy90 posted:

I remember learning to play SS13 and being terrified of causing an explosion in chem because it would be "out of character"

The journey of realizing that it's completely in character is one of the best parts of the game, imo.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ill admit part of the draw and the fear of playing this game is the staying in character. But also learning while in character can be sorta hard

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I mean if I dont feel like rping on goonstation I roll an assistant and treat it like challenge mode, nobody (usually including sec) cares if they see a methed out genetically augmented assistant blowtorching a stolen chemistry beaker in the middle of the hallway. But yeah it's hilarious having reverence for these roles then realizing that the only difference between them and you is ten minutes of haphazardly skimming a Wikipedia entry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You don't really need to stay in character unless you're on the rp server, feel free slip out of character if you have some questions, mentorhelp is also a great resource for quick questions, though having someone there in person can be useful for more complicated processes.