Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How would we know?

>:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well it's not like you hide a bunch of money and then tell people about it. Unless you have, like, brain damage.

e: Except if you're an American "prepper". Then you go on TV to tell everyone about all the silver you've hidden in your front yard lol. ee: Oh wait I already covered that with my second sentence.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Boba Pearl posted:

I don't know anything about Terry Pratchett did he hide a lot of money?

He had Alzheimer's at the end. The joke is that if he had buried treasure he might not remember where to find it due to memory loss.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

2nd Amendment posted:

I've done a lot of drugs in my time and I've never gotten the whole "I'm dying" thing. The only people I know who experienced it (n=2 out of MANY) were so cripplingly neurotic that, like, I get it. But people thinking it is normal is just *wild* to me.
I had a friend take d r u g s and ended up running out of the party, yelling that we were all demons, call his parents and tell them that he is ODing on drugs and is going to die now, threw his phone and smashed it on the pavement and ran down the road into the dark. It was weed. I think there is something to be said of the idea that the cultural osmosis 'drugs will make you crazy' filtering down to individuals having a slightly bad trip and then neurotically spiralling into what they think is happening.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How would we know?
And how would he?

I feel bad now.

Boba Pearl posted:

I don't know anything about Terry Pratchett did he hide a lot of money?
Have you read his stuff? You should it's good.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Few pages back, but this is great.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Not to repeat myself but he was a humorist and would have encouraged anyone to find humor in it.

He made jokes about death and is himself dead, etc.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I miss him and his writing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

his writing's still here. it's one of the good things about writing

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

What book is best to start with

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

freeedr posted:

It doesn't matter, but you can always start at the beginning.

e: But not the last ones, because his mind was already going.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Jul 28, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

freeedr posted:

The one you have available to you, or the easiest one to get.

In general, the first two (The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic) aren't quite as nailed-down, and Night Watch works best after you've read some other books. Don't count the YA books out, they're some of his best work.

Just grab one that seems interesting.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

freeedr posted:

hogfather

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Frequently people make a point for Small Gods, which has the advantages that it's not part of any subseries, features plenty of Pratchett's usual wit and philosophy, and is also just generally among the best of them all.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

it wasn't just Alzheimer's either. it was an especially aggressive, early onset variety. Like, seeing your mind going in real time. It sounds terrifying. He was a huge proponent of euthanasia because who wouldn't be with a condition like that?

His writing is pretty great though. There's a bunch of ways to read the Discworld books, either chronologically, or picking a cast and reading through the books with them in it (the Watch, the Wizards, the Witches, Death, Moist von Lipvig, various 1-off books) or just randomly. They pretty much all hold up as stand alone books but get better if you've read other ones in the series.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The one you have available to you, or the easiest one to get.

In general, the first two (The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic) aren't quite as nailed-down, and Night Watch works best after you've read some other books. Don't count the YA books out, they're some of his best work.

Just grab one that seems interesting.

This is true and won't steer you wrong, but there are a few different thematic "series" of books featuring the same casts of characters and if you're like me you prefer reading a series in roughly chronological order, so there are some often-recommended entry points. Not all of these are the first books featuring the characters.

For the Watch series (my personal favorite): Guards, Guards
For the Witches series: Wyrd Sisters
For the Death series: Mort
For the "YA" books: The Wee Free Men

There are also a few standalone books that are not really part of any one series within the greater set, and I happen to think that Small Gods is one of the finest books in the setting so it's usually what I suggest people start with.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

freeedr posted:

mort

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I started with Reaperman, but Small Gods is also a solid pick.

Basically there’s different subseries in a connected universe and you can pick and choose which casts/arcs you like best. I’m not big on the wizards, but love death, the night watch and the first two moist ones (the health problems really start to show in the third, it’s a rough read with a lot of sudden characterisation swerves and I’d recommend not reading it tbh and leaving it as a duo on a high note).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Moose posted:

it wasn't just Alzheimer's either. it was an especially aggressive, early onset variety. Like, seeing your mind going in real time. It sounds terrifying. He was a huge proponent of euthanasia because who wouldn't be with a condition like that?

It wasn't your normal Alzheimers. Pratchett had posterior cortical atrophy, which affects the brain and body in many ways but doesn't generally attack cognition. The last we heard from him directly was about eight months before he died, and although he was quite frail he was still sharp. Rob told us later that Pterry had been working on new material up to the end of 2014, until his physical condition and progressive loss of vision made it no longer possible. And he went out as he had wanted: in his own home, with Thomas Tallis playing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

freeedr posted:

Theres like 40 discworld books, so it looks overwhelming, but it isnt game of thrones, most books do not directly lead in to the next, or directly pick up the previous. Although characters and locations recur you can really start almost anywhere.

Small Gods is a very good one, absolutely stand alone (is set a while before most of the rest of the books, and the events of Small Gods are generally only every obliquely referenced anywhere else), but my personal recommendation is always Guards! Guards!. The first couple are more sword and sorcery pastiche with some worldbuilding as an afterthought. Equal Rites is when if feels like he starts treating it as a world he cared about rather than just a background for parody, but I think its still a little clunky myself.

Really I'd say as a start pick any from Pyramids, Guards! Guards!, Mort, Wyrd Sisters or Small Gods, and if you like that book you can either go back and start from the beginning, knowing that the slightly rough first few novels do get better, or continue from there with the sub-series (so if you start with Guards you can pick up the next city watch book, or if you read Wyrd Sisters you could pick up the next witches book)

I mean, it doesnt really matter that much, I started with Eric which is arguably the absolute worst place to start (its the 9th book, it picks up more or less from the end of Sourcery, and was originally written as a vehicle to showcase Kidbys illustrations, which my paperback did not have), but enjoyed it enough that I decided to go back and read the earlier books to get the context for the characters.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
If you do start with The Colour of Magic, you should definitely follow it up with The Light Fantastic, they're basically two halves of a single novel.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

I started with Monsterous Regiment, which spoiled a couple things but was as good a start as any

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I kind of wouldn't recommend following a subseries exclusively unless you really super like it, they tend to have similar themes and plot structures/resolutions and it's easy to burn yourself out on one. But I practically know a lot of them by heart now, and it might just be that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Personally I've always enjoyed the watch-focused ones the most, so I'd throw in another recommendation for Guards, Guards to start out with. Night Watch is what I'd argue one of his very best, but that one really lands best if you've at least read a couple of other watch books beforehand.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the very hungry caterpillar is also a good book to start with

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Colour of magic, equal rights, mort, and guards guards are the starters for the main early storylines. I wouldn't start with moist because none of it will make sense without a lot of the other books. Small gods is good and I have a soft spot for Pyramids.

Starting with small gods or guards guards to get a feel for a matured book and then scrolling back to colour of magic is a solid option.

Or do what I did and start with the stop motion adaptation of Truckers :3:

Splicer has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Jul 28, 2022

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I normally suggest Guards! Guards! and Wyrd Sisters because both of those are the start of a new arc, on the opposite ends of the spectrum of the kind of stories he's written, and well into him hitting his stride. From there you can figure out where you want to go, whether that's to go by series or start from the beginning or whatever.

E: and if you don't like either of those, you probably won't be wowed by any of the others

Small Gods is also a real solid starting point. You can really start anywhere, though, they're all good. Just note that he's finding his feet for the first few books, and had Alzheimer's for the last few; the entire middle 30-something books are all gold.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Jul 28, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ChubbyChecker posted:

according to my parents I was a bigger fan of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DACK FAYDEN posted:

according to my parents I was a bigger fan of Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

Stellaluna set off a whole bat phase.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

ChubbyChecker posted:

A very chubby checker sentiment.

The caterpillar is indeed chubby.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Splicer posted:

Colour of magic, equal rights, mort, and guards guards are the starters for the main early storylines. I wouldn't start with moist because none of it will make sense without a lot of the other books.

I mostly only buy books at thrift stores and the like, so I've only ever read Men at Arms and Raising Steam yet, but it was still pretty easy to pick up on a lot of things and very enjoyable to read them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I've read a good number of those books, it was largely jumping around based on what was available from the library but I was able to keep up just fine. They're generally consistent enough quality that just reading what catches your interest is fine, even the couple rougher early ones and the ones towards the end still have enough reasonable stuff to be worthwhile.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Splicer posted:

I started with Only You Can Save Mankind! It was gr8

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Splicer posted:

Colour of magic, equal rights, mort, and guards guards are the starters for the main early storylines. I wouldn't start with moist because none of it will make sense without a lot of the other books. Small gods is good and I have a soft spot for Pyramids.

Starting with small gods or guards guards to get a feel for a matured book and then scrolling back to colour of magic is a solid option.

Yeah, I think this is the way to do it. Small Gods is Discworld at its prime and it's almost completely self-contained. If you find that to be your jam then I'd say go back and start from the beginning

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Philippe posted:

I started with Only You Can Save Mankind! It was gr8
How did I forget about Only You Can Save Mankind? God I love the Johnny trilogy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Terry Pratchett dying of alzheimers is one of the key events that let me know we live in hell.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Terry Pratchett's last wish was that his computer's hard drive be smashed by a steam roller, and it was done

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jedit posted:

The last we heard from him directly was about eight months before he died, and although he was quite frail he was still sharp.
I wish this were true. Neil Gaiman said that when they were taping the radio Good Omens in fall 2014, Pratchett had great difficulty with his cameo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

haveblue posted:

Terry Pratchett's last wish was that his computer's hard drive be smashed by a steam roller, and it was done

Raises some questions, imo. What was he hiding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Paladinus posted:

Raises some questions, imo. What was he hiding?

You know how JRR Tolkien's smallest pieces of writing, incomplete drafts, correspondence with all and sundry, just keeps getting published in drips to milk that for all it's worth, and academics pore over every little thing? Maybe Pratchett just didn't want any of that.