Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Oh man this other company that gave me an offer is not taking the turn-down well. They wanted me to jump on a call to tell me they reworked the role to better suit what I'm looking for, they know I'm going to excel, the contract is just temporary and then they want to bring me on full time, I'm the answer to their problems, so on.

Sorry guys, a lot of people want me to work for them, it's not going to happen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Darchangel posted:

As a tech worker who is now 48, this scares the ever living poo poo out of me. It basically says that no matter what I learn or how current I keep my skills, simply being old is reason to not hire.

Now imagine being old, not white and not male as well.

I am also glad that by the time we go commercial, I will no longer be in a position where I have to deal with the field sales reps tickets. Never met a sales person that wasn't a dickhead when it came to interactions with IT. Even at the business systems analysis level on projects, always been jerks.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I have an interview! First one in probably three years or so. I am very excited - I have a couple friends in HR at this place and they always speak highly of the IT group there.

The HR guy seemed really nice on the phone, we already talked salary and it's well within my expectations, and it's even closer to home - my commute is about 12 minutes right now, this will drop it to like, 6.

The only issue is that it's got a heavier networking component than what I'm used to. So I've decided to cram my way to a CCENT in the next few months, using Lynda.com (free with my library card!) and then aim for a CCNA by the end of the year. How hard is the CCENT/CCNA for a guy that's done MCITP, CEH (lol), and has 8 years of SysAdmin experience in Windows? I'm dogshit at subnetting and I can only remember the OSI model with a mnemonic, so that's a start.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Antioch posted:

my commute is about 12 minutes right now, this will drop it to like, 6.

I don't think you get to call either of these a commute

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Darchangel posted:

As a tech worker who is now 48, this scares the ever living poo poo out of me. It basically says that no matter what I learn or how current I keep my skills, simply being old is reason to not hire.

I was just having this conversation with my manager a few weeks ago. I was saying how I didn’t ever want to go into management because I’d rather not be responsible for other people. She’s probably 15 years older than me and she got really serious and was like “I don’t want to manage people either but it’s basically insurance against being phased out for someone younger”. This is a smart lady who has a ton of technical experience and is now heading up a cloud architecture team. She still gets her hands dirty and is always learning new things. But it put it in perspective because I’ve never viewed management in that way.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It’s mistakenly assumed that everyone who’s experienced is good fit for management.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Oh man this other company that gave me an offer is not taking the turn-down well. They wanted me to jump on a call to tell me they reworked the role to better suit what I'm looking for, they know I'm going to excel, the contract is just temporary and then they want to bring me on full time, I'm the answer to their problems, so on.

Sorry guys, a lot of people want me to work for them, it's not going to happen though.

If they wanted you they would have brought you on full time from the start. That is exactly one of the things I would have told them.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Between all of us who switched jobs this year I wonder who will have a major gripe first.

Probably me because I'm a queen.

This place has crazy security standards due to client requirements - it's actually amazing seeing a large IT infrastructure actually adhere to this amount of red tape. Haven't even heard a whisper of someone using backdoor access.

Most interesting thing so far is an air gapped offsite backup that uses a random timer to turn up a p2p link and kick off incremental backups. Never seen that before.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sickening posted:

If they wanted you they would have brought you on full time from the start. That is exactly one of the things I would have told them.

I was brokered into the interview by a recruiter. The company is now held to the 6 month initial contract because they can't go around the recruiter.

It's still 6 months of hour+ commute with benefits coming out of my hourly, which no thanks for three kids at home.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I was brokered into the interview by a recruiter. The company is now held to the 6 month initial contract because they can't go around the recruiter.

It's still 6 months of hour+ commute with benefits coming out of my hourly, which no thanks for three kids at home.

That's not true there are clauses in their contract to pay them a finders fee of X of your salary

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sepist posted:

Between all of us who switched jobs this year I wonder who will have a major gripe first.

This place has crazy security standards due to client requirements - it's actually amazing seeing a large IT infrastructure actually adhere to this amount of red tape. Haven't even heard a whisper of someone using backdoor access.

Most interesting thing so far is an air gapped offsite backup that uses a random timer to turn up a p2p link and kick off incremental backups. Never seen that before.

Standards, procedures... people following them!?! What mad world have you stepped into?

That backup process sounds interesting. Never heard of that either.

As far as :yotj: goes, I am trying to do my part. I really wanted to get into DevOps but I think it will take my too long to get my skillset up to speed. I'm still playing with the idea of starting a branch of an existing MSP where a bunch of friends and old co-workers work. Waiting for a few things to unfold before I make a final decision, but one way or another I'm getting a new job this year. This place is killing my will to live.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

I may not be indicative of the industry as a whole, but I am a younger manager and most of my employees are in their 40s or higher. A few in their 60s. I have no plans to terminate them for being old (although at times, it seems they don't want to learn any longer).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sepist posted:

That’s awesome but I wonder if something happened where they had to back from the offsite could it be done fast enough that the business would survive.

I’ve heard of a few companies that lost SANs or got hit by BitLocker. By the time they restored too many of their customers took their business elsewhere.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sepist, I thought you were going back out as a solo consultant? If you don't mind sharing what I missed, what are you actually doing now? You keep talking about your employer so obviously you aren't totally independent.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Docjowles posted:

Sepist, I thought you were going back out as a solo consultant? If you don't mind sharing what I missed, what are you actually doing now? You keep talking about your employer so obviously you aren't totally independent.

He's a contractor for his old employer if I remember correctly. I'm sure it's just a habit to call them his boss.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Vargatron posted:

I like how the prevailing IT business practice is basically mass hiring a bunch of cheap college grads and them burning them out with 60+ hour work weeks.
It's not remotely specific to tech. My father worked as an insurance claims adjuster for Travelers forever and they pulled the same poo poo with him.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sepist posted:

Sounds like the same setup as the client I just left. Is everything dual acess / dual control as well?

Adhering to the red tape is indeed admirable in a large company but the red tape itself became the issue for me. There is never a quick fix and there is always a lot of paperwork involved.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Docjowles posted:

I have a 6 month staff aug contract with a huge law firm that I invoice through my LLC, and I have an independent consultant contract with my old company and another integrator.

It sounds like they are my employer only because I'm at the law firm for 40+ hours a week

LochNessMonster posted:

Sounds like the same setup as the client I just left. Is everything dual acess / dual control as well?

Not sure what you mean sorry. There's a few ways to manage the data but only one path to the data

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sepist posted:

Not sure what you mean sorry. There's a few ways to manage the data but only one path to the data

The place I used to work had a large airgapped environment which requires two people to enter (mantrap with biometric checks) and 2 different roles to access specific environments or data.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

Antioch posted:

I have an interview! First one in probably three years or so. I am very excited - I have a couple friends in HR at this place and they always speak highly of the IT group there.

The HR guy seemed really nice on the phone, we already talked salary and it's well within my expectations, and it's even closer to home - my commute is about 12 minutes right now, this will drop it to like, 6.

The only issue is that it's got a heavier networking component than what I'm used to. So I've decided to cram my way to a CCENT in the next few months, using Lynda.com (free with my library card!) and then aim for a CCNA by the end of the year. How hard is the CCENT/CCNA for a guy that's done MCITP, CEH (lol), and has 8 years of SysAdmin experience in Windows? I'm dogshit at subnetting and I can only remember the OSI model with a mnemonic, so that's a start.

I'm sure you have at least conceptual experience of how networking works. Subnetting will eventually click. If you go heavy on PacketTracer you could finish in under four months.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Antioch posted:

you are way more experienced than I am and I've been studying for the CCENT for 3 weeks and have it pretty much down. You will be fine.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

LochNessMonster posted:

The place I used to work had a large airgapped environment which requires two people to enter (mantrap with biometric checks) and 2 different roles to access specific environments or data.

Oh. I'm not sure of the physical presence. It's hosted at sungard.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The NOC sent out an alert to the app ops team, these servers are showing very high memory utilization can you advise? The entire reply from the app ops on call sys admin:

"Stop the java"

I think that's going to be my answer to everything. Hey Stripe how do we fix X? Stop the java.

e: I should add, part of why it was an amazing reply to me is that, with only "stop the java", the NOC wrote back saying "that fixed it, thank you!"

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 24, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
"Please, for the love of god, just stop the Java" - me, a noob windows server admin getting requests for app servers from the business

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Hay! Is this the startup koolaid megathread? Does programming software engineering count as IT?

I'm basically entertaining joining a startup in the Bay Area. I've only ever worked at big established companies in my own city, so the idea of having to consider equity, relocation, etc. is a bit much to grasp all at once. There's a headhunting agency acting as middleman for the actual negotiations but I'm wondering if what they're going for is reasonable or if they're just looking to make a quick commission off me.

I have like a million questions but it'd be be a boring long post -- I'm basically looking for a neutral resource to consult, compare and get information for myself. All I've been finding so far is sponsored garbage trying to push out their own services.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seek.com.au's actually pretty good for browsing through IT jobs, it's how I found my previous and current ones. Can't help you on the resume-building though, sorry fellow Melbourne Goon.

Thanks mate. Found my current job through a Seek posting and it's been a good 4 years, I'll go through there again.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Jan posted:

Hay! Is this the startup koolaid megathread? Does programming software engineering count as IT?

I'm basically entertaining joining a startup in the Bay Area. I've only ever worked at big established companies in my own city, so the idea of having to consider equity, relocation, etc. is a bit much to grasp all at once. There's a headhunting agency acting as middleman for the actual negotiations but I'm wondering if what they're going for is reasonable or if they're just looking to make a quick commission off me.

I have like a million questions but it'd be be a boring long post -- I'm basically looking for a neutral resource to consult, compare and get information for myself. All I've been finding so far is sponsored garbage trying to push out their own services.

Angel or series A or B. I’ve worked for 3 startups but always after their series C when it’s kinda ensured they’ll last a while. I turned down an angel company that was throwing equity at me but I just didn’t believe in what they were doing. Sure enough they never made series A.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Jan posted:

[Bay area startup stuff]

For sure it does but you might get more specific stuff from the Oldie or Newbie Programming Career threads.

I've only worked for corps in Australia so beyond those links I'm no help to you.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

what defines a startup anyway? is it just any new company?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

jaegerx posted:

Angel or series A or B. I’ve worked for 3 startups but always after their series C when it’s kinda ensured they’ll last a while. I turned down an angel company that was throwing equity at me but I just didn’t believe in what they were doing. Sure enough they never made series A.

I believe they're just about to undergo series A, or have just gone through it, I'm not familiar enough to ask the right questions. They seem to have an idea where they're going, and I think their product has potential in a certain niche, but I don't believe in it enough to take equity over salary. Said salary would be acceptable, mind you, if the headhunting company can get what they say they're going for.

Of course, the headhunters probably don't give a poo poo since the company keeling over just means they have someone on the market again for a commission. :laugh:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jan posted:

All I'll say is it's super expensive to live here, so they better be paying a fat salary otherwise you're gambling with your own money. Not sure what your quality of life is right now, the kind of apartment/house you live in and what you do in your spare time, but you're going to need a good $100,000+ minimum to make it worthwhile. More if you are used to living the high life and also want to live in the city.

The Bay area thread is active and sometimes has useful posters when they're not ranting arseholes https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032519

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RFC2324 posted:

what defines a startup anyway? is it just any new company?

It probably could be said that it refers to any company that depends on outside funding for operating funds?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Take what you think is acceptable as a salary and add 50k for Bay Area tax. You really don’t understand how expensive it is until you live there. Its bad. Expect a long commute but it’s easier thanks to Caltrain.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Ranter posted:

All I'll say is it's super expensive to live here, so they better be paying a fat salary otherwise you're gambling with your own money. Not sure what your quality of life is right now, the kind of apartment/house you live in and what you do in your spare time, but you're going to need a good $100,000+ minimum to make it worthwhile. More if you are used to living the high life and also want to live in the city.

The Bay area thread is active and sometimes has useful posters when they're not ranting arseholes https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032519

Yeah, I did my research, and Montreal being so cheap means I have a great lifestyle. So what I've been telling companies in salary questions is some hokum about "it's not about the salary, it's about the lifestyle, so in order to maintain that I need (insert figure between $110-150k depending on the company's means)". But I have no idea if what I'm asking is actually reasonable. Glassdoor is poo poo for this, Angel.co is slightly better...

I've been hanging out in the Bay Area thread (and still wonder why isn't called BART - Bay Area Regional Thread?), I figured the people there were less about startups and more about :bahgawd:. :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jan posted:

Yeah, I did my research, and Montreal being so cheap means I have a great lifestyle.

It has never ceased to blow my mind how cheap the cost of living is in Montreal.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

It has never ceased to blow my mind how cheap the cost of living is in Montreal.

Before or after government mandated French lessons? :laugh:

jaegerx posted:

Take what you think is acceptable as a salary and add 50k for Bay Area tax. You really don’t understand how expensive it is until you live there. Its bad. Expect a long commute but it’s easier thanks to Caltrain.

Yeah, my partner's there at Stanford already, so I have some idea what to expect. I basically have been budgeting by projecting my current costs and savings rate to Bay Area, adding a fuzzy $2k/month (what if we move to San Mateo instead of San Jose!?) and porting that in terms of salary.

Jan fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 25, 2018

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Jan posted:

Before or after government mandated French lessons? :laugh:

Yeah, my partner's there at Stanford already, so I have some idea what to expect. I basically have been budgeting by projecting my current costs and savings rate to Bay Area, adding a fuzzy $2k/month (what if we move to San Mateo instead of San Jose!?) and porting that in terms of salary.

2k? You looking at a studio? I spent $2700 on a studio in nyc. Granted it was upper west side in manhattan but yeah.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I assume they mean they're adding 2k to their partners current rent, which hopefully brings them to 3.5k for a 1 BR.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

jaegerx posted:

2k? You looking at a studio? I spent $2700 on a studio in nyc. Granted it was upper west side in manhattan but yeah.

Oh, no, I mean take my current costs (rent, rental insurance, groceries, bills, etc.), transposing them to Bay Area and then adding 2k on top of that.

Which is pessimistic, but since I'm taking my partner's current San Jose rent into account, 2k would cover moving to a more "central" location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Ah that makes sense.