Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Elviscat posted:

Problem with EVs is you can't put a potato in their tailpipe or sugar in their gas tank.

Shove some positrons into their HVDC connectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There are plenty of gasoline vehicles running around with fake tail pipes, and they actual exhaust pipe just blowing onto the ground a few inches behind the bumper

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cruft posted:

Is anybody selling cosmetic tailpipes for EVs yet?

Toxxing for this joke being in the new Beverly Hills Cop movie

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

GoutPatrol posted:

Toxxing for this joke being in the new Beverly Hills Cop movie

Sure. Whats the toxx gonna be? :)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Cosmetic bosozoku exhaust with a banana in it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sure. Whats the toxx gonna be? :)

I get a banana in the ol tailpipe?

I have not thought this through, anyone have good ideas, preferably ones that don't involve an artistic vision because I don't have that

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Just wait until the EQS owner gets to their car and suck their dick. That'll show them.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Raymond T. Racing posted:

not quite full EV but I just bumped my 2020 hybrid Escape up to a 2024 hybrid Escape ST-line and god drat does it look sexy

the light bar on the front is amazing.

finally had the opportunity to take a nicer picture than "we haven't washed it yet" picture text from the dealer

sun was shining and looked real good

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

GoutPatrol posted:

I have not thought this through, anyone have good ideas, preferably ones that don't involve an artistic vision because I don't have that

I nominate Cruft to come up with a suitable toxx

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i lolled, but since the derail is over, at nothing in particular

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The i4 M50 doesn't have fake exhaust tips, but the design of the rear bumper definitely implies them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That could also be them reusing a part and putting in blanks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Raymond T. Racing posted:

finally had the opportunity to take a nicer picture than "we haven't washed it yet" picture text from the dealer

sun was shining and looked real good

It's pretty crazy how much changing the headlights improved the look of the Escape.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

It's pretty crazy how much changing the headlights improved the look of the Escape.

100%

My outgoing 2020 Escape (no I will not be taking questions on my bad with money status) looked like "Hey Porsche Cayenne can we copy your homework a bit"

The new more angular design has a unique identity that doesn't overlap with anything else (much). The closest thing I could see it copying would be the EV Mercedes with the light bars, but the Escape light bar looks different enough from MB's design that it's distinctive

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Toxxing for [a cosmetic EV tailpipe] joke being in the new Beverly Hills Cop movie

GoutPatrol posted:

I get a banana in the ol tailpipe?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I nominate Cruft to come up with a suitable toxx

Okay let's do this!

If there is not an "EV tailpipe" joke in the new Beverly Hills Cop movie, your punishment shall be to craft your own cosmetic EV tailpipe, and stick a banana in it, then post a photo of you having driven somewhere with this, to prove to the Internet that EVs are a banana-proof technology. You can use any materials you like: the cheaper the better, probably. Paper towel roll and tape would be A-OK. Then stick a banana in it. And give us a photo.

Bonus points for dual exhaust.

e: You can do this on whatever you use to get around, even if it's not an EV. ICE car, scooter, skateboard, whatever. Put a fake tailpipe on whatever it is, and then stick a banana in it.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 24, 2024

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Wasn't the dodge EV going to have some fake tailpipe resonator built in that blasts 120 decibel exhaust sounds out the back?

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTyk_WwPsxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmDXE3o8dMc

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cruft posted:

Okay let's do this!

If there is not an "EV tailpipe" joke in the new Beverly Hills Cop movie, your punishment shall be to craft your own cosmetic EV tailpipe, and stick a banana in it, then post a photo of you having driven somewhere with this, to prove to the Internet that EVs are a banana-proof technology. You can use any materials you like: the cheaper the better, probably. Paper towel roll and tape would be A-OK. Then stick a banana in it. And give us a photo.

Bonus points for dual exhaust.

e: You can do this on whatever you use to get around, even if it's not an EV. ICE car, scooter, skateboard, whatever. Put a fake tailpipe on whatever it is, and then stick a banana in it.

sadly the worst part of this toxx is now being forced to watch beverly hills cop 4 to see if this happens

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a61235278/tesla-dog-mode-not-working-firmware/

Don't lock your dog in your Tesla.

Or any other car, probably.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

With how hot it is in much of the US, I wouldn't leave a pet in there regardless if climate control is on. Some folks would probably bust the window open.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I saw somebody leave their dog in a Tesla while parked at Busch Gardens and while I was tempted to bust the window I just reported it.

Bringing a dog to a theme park just to leave it in the car for 12 hours is psycho behavior

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Rivian has a pet mode with a giant “My pet is comfortable, and the climate is set to $x, and the cabin temperature is currently $x” displayed on the center screen. We used it for our late dog, and she enjoyed a 68F cabin while we were in the store. However, we also cracked the windows so passersby wouldn’t freak out and smash our windows because they couldn’t read.

What’s nice about the Rivian pet mode is if the cabin starts to heat up, you immediately get an alert on your phone, and the windows automatically vent. I haven’t heard of pet mode failing, but I know that code exists. :v:

Tiny Timbs posted:

I saw somebody leave their dog in a Tesla while parked at Busch Gardens, and while I was tempted to bust the window, I just reported it.

Bringing a dog to a theme park to leave it in the car for 12 hours is psycho behavior

Those people are legitimately awful and do not deserve to have a pet. :smith:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 25, 2024

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The level 2 chargers at my apartment are active now! I just plugged in and wait what the f

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

The level 2 chargers at my apartment are active now! I just plugged in and wait what the f

Holy crap

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have to think they misconfigured it and thought they were making it 25 cents per minute instead of dollars. Which is still high for spots where you could reasonably expect to charge overnight but cripes, take a nap at the wrong time and you're on the hook for thousands.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Actually I just re-read it and... I'm okay with this.

You get an hour to move your damned car out so somebody else in the complex can charge. And if you can't be bothered, you can pay $1500 per hour.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I mean the real solution is to put an L2 charger at each parking spot.

But if history has taught me anything, it's that if there's an opportunity for any new technological development to make life worse for poor people, that situation will play out.

So, yeah, waking up at 2am to move your car out or get fined $6000 sounds about on brand for humanity.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In the parking garages near me in a major urban place it's 30 minutes grace and then fifty bucks per hour, which seems punitive enough to be incentivizing without being absurd

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In the parking garages near me in a major urban place it's 30 minutes grace and then fifty bucks per hour, which seems punitive enough to be incentivizing without being absurd

Rich people will pay this without batting an eyelash.

I remember a friend telling me about going out on the town with some rich dude, who suggested they go buy some wine from the store and drink it while they walked. They were like "that's illegal," and dude was like "it's just $85". Like, he viewed it as a convenience fee, not a fine.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Rich people live elsewhere.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cruft posted:

I remember a friend telling me about going out on the town with some rich dude, who suggested they go buy some wine from the store and drink it while they walked. They were like "that's illegal," and dude was like "it's just $85". Like, he viewed it as a convenience fee, not a fine.

He is correct. If a law is enforced with a fine, then that law is for poor people.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

The brightest souls can burn out in an instant, and even a pathetic, feeble spark can grow brilliant in time.

cruft posted:

:stare:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

FlapYoJacks posted:

He is correct. If a law is enforced with a fine, then that law is for poor people.

Less so in those countries that scale fines according to ability to pay!

Elon can pay $85,000,000 to drink in public.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tayter Swift posted:

I am not against it? I mean if your car has stopped charging one hour ago, you had plenty of time to move your rear end and leave the spot ready for someone else. Tesla have draconian fees for "plugged but not charging" here in Italy and people do manage.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

I mean the real solution is to put an L2 charger at each parking spot.

But if history has taught me anything, it's that if there's an opportunity for any new technological development to make life worse for poor people, that situation will play out.

So, yeah, waking up at 2am to move your car out or get fined $6000 sounds about on brand for humanity.

I'm envisioning this situation where all your neighbors start some sort of system so when somebody unplugs, the next person on the queue gets a notification that they can plug in now. So you get a notification at 3am that Nancy has unplugged and it's your turn for your 45 minutes on the charger, and if you don't get down there in 5 minutes, you lose your slot and can't make it to work tomorrow and then you get fired.

This sounds so horrible. If I were a betting person, I'd be willing to bet $85 it will in fact happen.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Tayter Swift posted:

The single digit after the decimal point makes me think it's a typo and supposed to be $2.50 per minute or $150 per hour. Still wouldn't want to miss the text, but probably not life ruining if you gently caress up for an hour.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

FlapYoJacks posted:

I haven’t heard of pet mode failing, but I know that code exists. :v:

Code DOAK9

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Tayter Swift posted:

I think this sign was made with a specific person in mind, the one who's going to hog the loving charger like it's their personal parking spot. You all know who that is. But they're not going to make a sign that says "gently caress off Steve", so you have this.

Also that charge rate is very very reasonable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The real crime is my friend telling me his workplace offers 7kW charging for $2 an hour

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I was the first EV in an apartment that had two EV chargers free for resident use. They made the one of the charging spots my assigned space. It ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

The real crime is my friend telling me his workplace offers 7kW charging for $2 an hour

That’s like $0.28/kWh, not too bad depending on energy costs where you are.