Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm surprised you didn't subtract a Not That Bad Point for all the god drat time you had to spend sitting around listening to the arena announcer. gently caress that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Crotch posted:

I'm surprised you didn't subtract a Not That Bad Point for all the god drat time you had to spend sitting around listening to the arena announcer. gently caress that guy.

Oh, he isn't THAT bad. He does get a bit wordy later, but it's usually appropriate.

Usually.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

You mean this thread, right? I'm not seeing said recommendation anywhere and now it's bugging the hell out of me. :argh:

You know, now that I look back, I think it was recommended to me somewhere else (Skype conversation, perhaps).

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MeccaPrime posted:

You know, now that I look back, I think it was recommended to me somewhere else (Skype conversation, perhaps).

Aw, nuts. And here I thought I'd finally made it as a recommended LPer. :v:

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Now you are! :angel:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MeccaPrime posted:

Now you are! :angel:

And I owe it all to...a goon's misremembering. I'll take it. :confuoot:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 29, 2013

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I read this because of the recommendation thread, so it must be working.

Great so far! I've put hundreds of hours into Oblivion but never actually finished it. I don't know, I don't really get all the hate for Oblivion. Yes, Morrowind had weird mushroom cities and sandstorms and stuff but sometimes you're just in the mood for some aimless adventuring in a generic fantasy sandbox with tons of stuff to do, and Oblivion delivered on that. I've always had a soft spot for Oblivion.

Also, calling this game "insanely ugly" is sheer madness. Nobody's gonna argue about the faces but the environments were fantastic.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 29, 2013

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Chewbot posted:

I read this because of the recommendation thread, so it must be working.

Great so far! I've put hundreds of hours into Oblivion but never actually finished it. I don't know, I don't really get all the hate for Oblivion. Yes, Morrowind had weird mushroom cities and sandstorms and stuff but sometimes you're just in the mood for some aimless adventuring in a generic fantasy sandbox with tons of stuff to do, and Oblivion delivered on that. I've always had a soft spot for Oblivion.

Also, calling this game "insanely ugly" is sheer madness. Nobody's gonna argue about the faces but the environments were fantastic.

The contrast between the lovely faces and the beauty of the rest of this game is so stark though.

Also, Morrowind had Cliff Racers. Never forget the Cliff Racers. :argh:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Junior G-man posted:

There is a reason that one of this game's books is my clear favourite. :mmmhmm:

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Really enjoying this LP. It's also the first time I've properly committed to reading an LP as opposed to watching one. I have to say it's quite an appealing format. A lot more concise but also a lot more concentrated to all of the good(/bad) stuff and none of the fluff between.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Sundowner posted:

Really enjoying this LP. It's also the first time I've properly committed to reading an LP as opposed to watching one. I have to say it's quite an appealing format. A lot more concise but also a lot more concentrated to all of the good(/bad) stuff and none of the fluff between.

If you like this one you should totally check out his Morrowind/FO3/Skyrim/a couple other weird things LP. It's all in one mega thread, so be prepared for days worth of reading. It's all very informative and well written.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Junior G-man posted:

Funny enough, this becomes slightly tragic thanks to Skyrim, albeit through linking back to Oblivion.

Never Forget Saint Jiub.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jiub gibbed the creatures justly just because they were such dicks
For every racer seen today Saint Jiub has slain six!

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
That's what made me sad about the Skyrim LP failing: if Lizard Wizard had made it to the Soul Cairn, he could have had a reunion with Jiub.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aww, I'm sure you could have taken those goblins. Their kind hates ice and fire both, you know. :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Chewbot posted:

I will never get over the fact that someone compared this game's aesthetics to penis-pill commercials. :allears:

McDragon posted:

Aww, I'm sure you could have taken those goblins. Their kind hates ice and fire both, you know. :v:

To be fair, it was the wizard at the end that wrecked my poo poo. Also gravity.

Chronische posted:

If you like this one you should totally check out his Morrowind/FO3/Skyrim/a couple other weird things LP. It's all in one mega thread, so be prepared for days worth of reading. It's all very informative and well written.

And for those of you who are having trouble finding that thread, here it is.

Little Ampton
Mar 19, 2010
This LP is already looking great! Here's some quick and crappy fanart for you.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lizard Wizard posted:

I will never get over the fact that someone compared this game's aesthetics to penis-pill commercials. :allears:

Well, the creepy blank-eyed smiles sure remind me of Smiling Bob but otherwise.

The biggest graphics problem I have here is the overuse of bloom/HDR. You walk up to someone and it's like they poured oil on their face the way it shines. Jesus.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Little Ampton posted:

Jeepers, that's alarmingly accurate.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
I don't understand calling the environment ugly per se, but it did come out at the height of the BLOOM loving EVERYTHING BLOOMBLOOMBLOOM period in gaming history, and holy poo poo that was and still is incredibly jarring despite nearly every game since it abusing the hell out of bloom. I dunno, it really detracts from the experience when the world is made out of hyperbolic mirrors and every light source has a similar intensity to the goddamn sun.

IGotMine
Feb 12, 2009

Axe Master posted:

... it did come out at the height of the BLOOM loving EVERYTHING BLOOMBLOOMBLOOM period in gaming history ...

Wait are we no longer at the height of that? I feel as though we're still there. Just filters galore in general.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I've played this game quite a bit, though I never even got close to "finishing" it. I beat the main storyline, but so what? That's like, 10% of the game! There is a staggering amount of content in this game. It's rather overwhelming! I have Skyrim, but I've barely played it, due to not "finishing" this game. So now I have 2 hundred-hour-plus monstrosities sitting in my Steam library and... :ohdear:

This does make me want to fire up one of them again and roll up a sneaky Khajit!

What's the key to stealing in Oblivion/Skyrim? Just make sure no one sees you and fence your ill-gotten goods?

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

2013 is the Year of Film Grain as far as I've seen. Back in the Year of the Bloom Filter, meanwhile, Oblivion actually impressed me back then because it did something right with HDR that I'd rarely seen before. It's hard to make this out in screenshots, but when you move from a brighter area to a darker one and back, the camera adjusts, raising or lowering the brightness of the scene to balance it out a little. They could have done more with it, but at least they tried.

Then again, once you step outside and the sun reflects off your extremely shiny sword into your face, and ancient stone pillars covered in moss are doing the same thing, the novelty wears off.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

What's the key to stealing in Oblivion/Skyrim? Just make sure no one sees you and fence your ill-gotten goods?

Basically. Go into sneak mode to see if you're being detected and be careful not to be careless. You can only sell stolen goods to certain people after certain things happen so I don't think I'll get into that assuming that LW will at some point.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Little Ampton posted:

You know, something about the faces in Oblivion has always been off putting in that uncanny valley way, and now I think I know why, it's the eyes, THE EYES. The way those potato faces stare at you with those eyes. :gonk:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I stopped trying to make the face generator actually make good faces years ago, and opted instead to make the most hideous abominations I could. I have a main quest delayer mod, so the background for character creation is different.

Let's start off with our good friend the Khajiit. I started loving with the colors, but then remembered I wanted to save that for later.

Here's a friendly Nord with the same settings. My favorite part is the forehead vagina.

Remember Thornoir? Here's another one of his species.

And here he is with the most severe sunburn ever witnessed.

Dark Elves are my favorite, because it's really easy to turn them into fish people, as well as the lightest goddamn "Dark" elf you've ever seen in your life.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

He looks familiar.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
As long as we're sharing, here's my worst..

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

quote:

Is it just me or is his hair transparent?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Here's how Sterv would look as various different races.

Nerd.

Storc.

Stervguard.

Wood Hurf.

Arghohnowhywouldyoublinkjustthenian.

Catton.

Dark Hurf.

High Hurf.

Imperiallwrong.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That's pretty much :downs: as an Elder Scrolls character.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
These face creations alone make want to re-install and play this. I honestly didn't put any time into it when I played it. I'd get to the main/first large city and then sort of give up. I just think TES games have a lot of wide open spaces with nothing to do. I understand realistically there wouldn't be brimming cities every mile down the road but it's still enough for me to feel like the world is pretty empty except in the large cities.. which still feel relatively bare.

Are there mods that effectively increase the populace or add more towns and cities?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sundowner posted:

Are there mods that effectively increase the populace or add more towns and cities?

There probably are, and I bet you can post about them here!

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Lizard Wizard posted:

There probably are, and I bet you can post about them here!

Haha, what a fitting title. Thanks for the recommendation.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

xanthan posted:

Is it just me or is his hair transparent?

That's the light reflecting off the curve of his weirdass fantasy mohawk.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was the person who called the game ugly, and I stand by that. Specifically I compared the character models to a penis pill advertisement (Bob, as someone mentioned), and the landscape to model train scenery.

Please note, since goons often have trouble understanding this, that the following is my opinion, and in fact isn't an attack on your favorite video game:

Even compared to the other stuff that was released at the same time it's ugly. Take a look at (the unfortunately not very good gameplay-wise) Gothic 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK-jmUO3kh0

Do you see how that sort of looks like a forest, instead of a big green mound with grass sprites and a few speed tress stuck in it?

Everything looks fake and plastic, there are three types of dungeons (making it get boring super fast, even aside from the terrible quest writing), and I don't know how you call anything 'majestic' since the cities are smaller than most small towns I've been in in real life, and the landscape is one boring rolling hill after another.

The interface is... loving terrible (I don't know how else to put it). It's like something that someone whipped up in 2 hours in photoshop, and it's the start of Bethesda's slow decline to catering specifically to consoles.

The weapon and armor design is clunky (probably because it has to fit on their terrible models that look like something out of the free trial for poser). I was never excited to get anything new because it was lumpy, ugly, and not fun to use thanks to the sluggish weapon animation.

Morrowind was also ugly, but it was at least ugly with style. Oblivion is boring Tolkienesque crap.

So that's specifically what I meant when I called the game ugly.

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
Martin Freeman has never been the same since they put him in that industrial strength microwave... :stare:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

and it's the start of Bethesda's slow decline to catering specifically to consoles.

As a long-time owner of Oblivion on the 360, I can assure you that the menus weren't designed for ease of use on consoles.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lizard Wizard posted:

As a long-time owner of Oblivion on the 360, I can assure you that the menus weren't designed for ease of use on consoles.

Yeah, this. The Bethesda UI team just ... really sucks at their job. It blows my mind how, consistently, Morrowind to Skyrim, there's an amateur modder who puts out a superior UI in about six minutes.

I know Bethesda has more stringent requirements for their UI, since they have to hit something that works on all platforms all the way down to 480i (and stuff like DarnUI and SkyUI are pretty uncompromisingly PC UIs, and good for them) but that's still no excuse for just how bad those things are in fundamental usability, much less the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lizard Wizard posted:

I guess I just assumed that since it was so bad on the PC it must be better on a console.

• Locked thread