Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
They decided to have all locations pre-populated with the npcs and items so this is the only way to kind of explain why you might barrel into a random office complex and ice everyone inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HoboTech posted:

I think you get most of your gigs by cell phone because having to go back to the fixer each and every time you wanted to do a job in their area would get really tedious. That's a lot of back and forth for offing a dozen Tyger Claws and dumping a netrunner in the trunk of a car, just to give me some cash and a pat on the head. Also, from the fixer's perspective, that's a lot of foot traffic because I'm sure they don't have just V running around doing jobs.

you could get around this by bundling missions into 'arcs' where you need to go talk to the fixer to kick it off, then a mission happens, then you've got to clean up after that mission or deal with some circumstance, and so on, until the thing is finally over with. you could contain reactivity within the arcs to make them feel more alive without having to maintain reactive continuity across the entire game

for example, wakako calls you into the office and asks you to go help a russian guy with an unspecified problem. she warns you to keep your nose out of things, this is an easy job but the hard part is discretion. the russian guy asks you to drive a car to the tiger claws. turns out there's a dude in the trunk. you have the conversation with the dude, and either close the trunk or let him go

if you let him go, wakako will give you a scolding about how the dude is an rear end in a top hat who owes money, and now you've got a new mission to go hunt him down. maybe this could involve doing a little investigation and learning the dude is a huge rear end in a top hat, giving the player moral license to kill him. maybe you just follow the arrow to him standing in an alley somewhere. either way, you kill him or he bribes you big money to flee night city, and you tell wakako he's dead and you get paid

if you close the trunk, wakako will call up later asking you to help dispose of the guy. maybe you've got to drive a car down to the docks and the shady russian takes things from there. anyway, you get paid

later, after the player has forgotten all this has happened, the trunk guy's brother or whatever shows up and tries to revenge kill the PC. maybe the player cowardly tries to get out of a fight with this dude and blurts out trunk guy is still alive somewhere, pissing off wakako

it wouldn't be necessary to have the player go to the fixer all the time but i think less fixer missions of greater length, or groups of linked missions, would have been a better way to go

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I can see hints of what was intended for the interactive city: the unmarked side quest where V sits down at a diner and gets robbed is a perfect example.

That quest also stands out, despite not being on the map, because no where else in the game can V sit down and order a drink.
:smith:

lol that poo poo's not unmarked. It's got a big fat exclamation mark on it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
aside: man the food system in this game is bad. hundreds of identical junk items!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

aside: man the food system in this game is bad. hundreds of identical junk items!

have you been in a convenience store IRL

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Alcohol being a pure debuff was a bit of a dumb choice. Alcohol isn't good for you in real life of course, but why do I even have these items in my inventory if I'm never going to feel like reducing my accuracy?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

2house2fly posted:

Alcohol being a pure debuff was a bit of a dumb choice. Alcohol isn't good for you in real life of course, but why do I even have these items in my inventory if I'm never going to feel like reducing my accuracy?

100% this. Also I kinda wish there were more drugs in general that would give a buff and debuff. Have alcohol give you worse aim but better hand to hand/melee damage. Or something similar to Jet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ichabod Tane posted:

Just saying the game doesn’t have deep mechanics but you can get weird about it

lol. You replied to "I'm having fun" with "It's only surface level fun", IDK what you expect other than a jokey reply.

It's fine, I fully understand it's not a terribly deep game despite what was advertised, I waited a year for it to be on sale and bought it knowing that, I just like sneaking around and hacking things and occasionally watching NPCs rocket through the roof for no adequately explained reason.

I wish there were either more branching story options or fewer dialog choices with a timer, but it's a minor complaint.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, this is what W3 excelled at and where CP77 can be considered to have failed the most. The phone call mechanic should have been exclusively to set up in-person meetings to get that amazing dialogue and scenes everyone expects. Make some excuse like phones aren’t secure (they aren’t). It’s absurd that all of the fixers have offices in the world and V only ever really visits Wakako twice and Dex once. Every Mr. Hands mission should have started with V getting thrown into the back of a Van for a remote video conference. A missed opportunity.

My brother got tons of in-person meetings with fixers on his playthrough. Every time he got a phone call the NPC would teleport next to him.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Funky See Funky Do posted:

lol that poo poo's not unmarked. It's got a big fat exclamation mark on it.

Ah, they either changed it or it was bugged at launch. It really surprised me, because I thought I’d found an NPC vendor with something going on. :shrug:

KernelZee
Sep 28, 2021

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
I cant even imagine the amount of manpower needed to make an fps, gta, rpg with new vegas like quest reactivity and npc scheduling..... Rockstar has like 2000 employees across all their studios working on their games for like 5+ years and that's just to pull off a gta game. Bethesda has been coming a bit closer but its been remaking morrowind for the last 20 years so at least they are getting better and better at it (with their tools at least, not commenting on the quests, hand holding, or sanding down of any of those pesky rpg parts). In hindsight its amazing what obsidian did with 18 months, makes me want a new vegas with 3 years of dev time more than a fixed cyberpunk 2077 honestly.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsnlIJ84_GY

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
You get most of your gigs through your cell because it's 2077, and it's built into your head with a secure line by a ripperdoc you trust.

Walking back you your handler every time would be loving miserable.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 8, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Kokoro Wish posted:

You get most of your gigs through your cell, because it's 2077, and it's built into your head with a secure line by a ripperdock you trust.

Walking back you your handler every time would be loving miserable.

All of this.

Plus it's pretty cyberpunk-y that everybody knows exactly where you are at all times so that they can call you whenever you're near a point of interest.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Something that may have helped would be having to go and meet them one time before they started handing out gigs. Once you meet them one time then you start getting the phone calls. Not a huge fix, but would make things same less sloppy and chaotic for sure. They'd have to somehow account for stumbling upon the gigs before talking to the fixer though.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

make the map screen like a gig economy app where you choose gigs and get the intro phone call etc out of the way while youre driving there instead of having it all dumped on you as you pull up and also have fixers only offer you two or three at a time so its more like a questline, imo

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

King Vidiot posted:

All of this.

Plus it's pretty cyberpunk-y that everybody knows exactly where you are at all times so that they can call you whenever you're near a point of interest.

Except for the most powerful people in the world who want you dead so you can't spill the beans about that assassination/internal coup that just happened and that you are the sole surviving witness to. Except for that one time towards the end when the plot demands that they do. V just goes back to the regular apartment like nothing happened.

Calling you when you're right outside the place is kind of dumb. "Ok Wakako, but I didn't bring my rifle. I'm just out doing some grocery shopping. I'll have to duck home and pick up some stuff, plus this ice cream is going to melt. Can I do it tomorrow? No? It has to be right now? gently caress..ok."

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

2house2fly posted:

Take it up with Australia

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Except for the most powerful people in the world who want you dead so you can't spill the beans about that assassination/internal coup that just happened and that you are the sole surviving witness to. Except for that one time towards the end when the plot demands that they do. V just goes back to the regular apartment like nothing happened.

The game doesn't really linger on this point, because it's not a story about evading corporate assassins, but Arasaka never even knows V's name for most of the game, and it's Takemura that winds up being framed for the murder, he's the one being hunted, not V. Yorinobu thinks that all the witnesses are dead, he *also* doesn't care that much about creating a cover story because he doesn't actually need to.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 8, 2021

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

2house2fly posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/3010

For the people that feel similarly and can be arsed, this allows you also to gently caress around with what drink and drugs do. I haven't found a standalone thing, though I swear I saw something titled accordingly but maybe that poo poo gets kicked off the nexus to make room for more virtual girlfriends with clone factory vulvas or something.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I keep forgetting that open air prison has some of the wonkiest electronic entertainment legislation in the world. :australia:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

The game doesn't really linger on this point, because it's not a story about evading corporate assassins, but Arasaka never even knows V's name for most of the game, and it's Takemura that winds up being framed for the murder, he's the one being hunted, not V. Yorinobu thinks that all the witnesses are dead, he *also* doesn't care that much about creating a cover story because he doesn't actually need to.

I've got to be honest the game doesn't do a great job communicating that. I can see the point where Yorinobu decides to pin everything on Takemura but Takemura seems to be in communication with Arasaka about his hunt for V right up until that point. You'd have to assume he's not making a secret of it and is using Arasaka resources to find V (which presumably leaves a trail in Arasaka's systems). Does Yorinobu stop caring about the chip he went to all that trouble to steal? Someone must have found the case with no chip in it and put two and two together. Yorinobu is never portrayed as hyper-competent or anything but it feels a little bit contrived for him to just leave those loose ends dangling.

How long is V supposed to be at the garbage dump for? In the game it seems like no more than a few hours have passed before Takemura shows up but I suppose it could have been days?

Splorange posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/3010

For the people that feel similarly and can be arsed, this allows you also to gently caress around with what drink and drugs do. I haven't found a standalone thing, though I swear I saw something titled accordingly but maybe that poo poo gets kicked off the nexus to make room for more virtual girlfriends with clone factory vulvas or something.

I think that mod is.. modular enough that you can just use the drugs, alcohol, and food components without anything else.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

I think that mod is.. modular enough that you can just use the drugs, alcohol, and food components without anything else.

Yeah, I meant more like, a mod focusing solely on making drugs fun or special. They are fun, kids and they make you special.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

I've got to be honest the game doesn't do a great job communicating that. I can see the point where Yorinobu decides to pin everything on Takemura but Takemura seems to be in communication with Arasaka about his hunt for V right up until that point. You'd have to assume he's not making a secret of it and is using Arasaka resources to find V (which presumably leaves a trail in Arasaka's systems). Does Yorinobu stop caring about the chip he went to all that trouble to steal? Someone must have found the case with no chip in it and put two and two together. Yorinobu is never portrayed as hyper-competent or anything but it feels a little bit contrived for him to just leave those loose ends dangling.

How long is V supposed to be at the garbage dump for? In the game it seems like no more than a few hours have passed before Takemura shows up but I suppose it could have been days?

I agree that the game doesn't do a great job communicating those things, and some critical stuff in understanding events is sidelined so it's really easy to miss.

The chip was never actually that important to Yorinobu, it was part of one of his schemes, but after the death of his father it's really not important anymore. Now that's he's CEO he can just get another copy made, if he even continues with his earlier plan- in short, he's got bigger issues now. The only reason the chip was important to Saburo was because it represented Yorinobu's disloyalty and disrespect, something Saburo has been trying to whip out of his youngest son his entire life.

(It's mentioned a few places, but Yori used to be an anti-arasaka terrorist. He only returned to the family after the death of his older brother.)

Takemura finds V in the dump a few days later, I don't know if the exact amount of time is mentioned anywhere, but you can get a sense of it from talking to Wilson after Act 2 begins.

I think it's safe to assume that Takemura did his investigation to find Dex and his crew over a few days, but honestly he doesn't seem like a paperwork kind of guy to me. If Yorinobu really wanted to know the identity of V, maybe there's some trace of it, but he really doesn't care, it's just some lowlife and he assumes that the matter is handled by Takemura, which is the moment he sends his assassins in to clean up the situation.

Keep in mind that both Hanako and a portion of the board know that Yori killed Saburo, or at least had a hand in it. But they aren't going to go to war over it, Arasaka has been at war with itself before, and no one is eager to go back. The cover story gives them all plausible deniability to go on as though the matter is handled. When Hanako brings V to the board meeting they absolutely don't give a gently caress until it's revealed that Saburo is "alive."

In short, Arasaka never really gives a poo poo about V or the chip.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
my dream mod would remove looting completely and replace it with like some kind of system where after each combat encounter you just get rewarded with a few bits of gear

looting corpses after a battle is so fuckin boring and tedious

also I would remove most of the game world's random lootable junk and replace it with fewer items which are actually worth picking up

I remember at release how my heart sank right at the start of the game where I picked up, like, a pack of cards or something and realised it was just a junk item and I was like "ahhhhhh poo poo, it's THIS kind of game"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fuf posted:

my dream mod would remove looting completely and replace it with like some kind of system where after each combat encounter you just get rewarded with a few bits of gear

also I would remove most of the game world's random lootable junk and replace it with fewer items which are actually worth picking up

I remember at release how my heart sank right at the start of the game where I picked up, like, a pack of cards or something and realised it was just a junk item and I was like "ahhhhhh poo poo, it's THIS kind of game"

Yeah on the one hand I like finding a way into a locked storeroom or a hidden container of something nice, on the other hand loot is randomised so if I miss something... who cares?

Strangely cRPGs have managed to take something that on tabletop is kept as simple as 'I loot the room' and make it busywork.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

I agree that the game doesn't do a great job communicating those things, and some critical stuff in understanding events is sidelined so it's really easy to miss.

The chip was never actually that important to Yorinobu, it was part of one of his schemes, but after the death of his father it's really not important anymore. Now that's he's CEO he can just get another copy made, if he even continues with his earlier plan- in short, he's got bigger issues now. The only reason the chip was important to Saburo was because it represented Yorinobu's disloyalty and disrespect, something Saburo has been trying to whip out of his youngest son his entire life.

(It's mentioned a few places, but Yori used to be an anti-arasaka terrorist. He only returned to the family after the death of his older brother.)

Takemura finds V in the dump a few days later, I don't know if the exact amount of time is mentioned anywhere, but you can get a sense of it from talking to Wilson after Act 2 begins.

I think it's safe to assume that Takemura did his investigation to find Dex and his crew over a few days, but honestly he doesn't seem like a paperwork kind of guy to me. If Yorinobu really wanted to know the identity of V, maybe there's some trace of it, but he really doesn't care, it's just some lowlife and he assumes that the matter is handled by Takemura, which is the moment he sends his assassins in to clean up the situation.

Keep in mind that both Hanako and a portion of the board know that Yori killed Saburo, or at least had a hand in it. But they aren't going to go to war over it, Arasaka has been at war with itself before, and no one is eager to go back. The cover story gives them all plausible deniability to go on as though the matter is handled. When Hanako brings V to the board meeting they absolutely don't give a gently caress until it's revealed that Saburo is "alive."

All of that makes a lot of sense in retrospect and the internal Arasaka stuff is made fairly clear if V chooses The Devil, but for most of the game I kept wondering when the other shoe was going to drop. V and Jackie do not make a graceful exit from the hotel. There were explosions and witnesses and a car chase.

fuf posted:

I have that mod installed. The only loot I ever see is cash, healing, and iconic weapons. It doesn't replace anything but you can customize it to only show what you want to pick up.

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/2678

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

I have that mod installed. The only loot I ever see is cash, healing, and iconic weapons. It doesn't replace anything but you can customize it to only show what you want to pick up.

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/2678

that's cool but it's a shame it actually removes the items from the world. Like I still want the world to look decently cluttered with objects.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

fuf posted:

that's cool but it's a shame it actually removes the items from the world. Like I still want the world to look decently cluttered with objects.

If you want to leave the stuff laying around in the world where it is you can. It's extremely customizable.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Another thing - Night City really suffers from being utterly impossible to mentally map. Yes each district is... somewhat different but not noticeably so. One of the underrated things that Rockstar do really well is use mission structure to teach you the map; long talky sections while driving from A to B where what's really going on is they are acclimatising you to Los Santos.

I have 28 hours in Cyberpunk now and I still have absolutely no sense of what the map looks like or where anything is if you showed me a screenshot. Conversely I think I still have a pretty good mental map of Los Santos. Or Velen for that matter.

When your gameplay loop is 'I finish activity, I immediately run towards the next activity 100-150m away on the map' there is no reason or impetus to absorb any more detail about the game world. Which I would say then has a knock on effect on my willingness to suspend disbelief and engage with the story as if it is taking place in a real world.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Ofc Yori knows who you are. After all they snatch Jackie's body if you send him to Victor and the hotel staff and guards saw your face. Should not be hard to figure out that the big latino and his poser friend were not arms dealers. And the Kiroshi optics only blur your face from cameras. But as you correctly say, He gives no fucks about V, cause V is a nobody, the board does not care that he offed his pa and he has more important issues at hand.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 8, 2021

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Another thing - Night City really suffers from being utterly impossible to mentally map. Yes each district is... somewhat different but not noticeably so. One of the underrated things that Rockstar do really well is use mission structure to teach you the map; long talky sections while driving from A to B where what's really going on is they are acclimatising you to Los Santos.

I have 28 hours in Cyberpunk now and I still have absolutely no sense of what the map looks like or where anything is if you showed me a screenshot. Conversely I think I still have a pretty good mental map of Los Santos. Or Velen for that matter.

When your gameplay loop is 'I finish activity, I immediately run towards the next activity 100-150m away on the map' there is no reason or impetus to absorb any more detail about the game world. Which I would say then has a knock on effect on my willingness to suspend disbelief and engage with the story as if it is taking place in a real world.

I've barely played at all since launch, but I still have a mental map of the districts. I drove around just for fun though, because the open world architecture and visuals is one of my favorite aspects of the game.

I liked this bit of realism. Office politics is often like this where nothing truly matters except positioning oneself for survival within an organization. External forces aren't nearly as impactful to the board members as maneuvering within the internal hierarchy, not even rumors of a terrorist coming back who had previously nuked the HQ building.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

fuf posted:

Anything but the Diablo styled loot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

yeah maybe I will!!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Please bring some drugs when you do. We're running desperately low.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Just reinstalled it and the loving quest telephone noise bug is still there.

Damnit.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

RagnarokZ posted:

Just reinstalled it and the loving quest telephone noise bug is still there.

Damnit.

What bug is this? I’ve never heard of it.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

chaosapiant posted:

What bug is this? I’ve never heard of it.

You know the little indicator sound when you bust up a crime scene and what not, tiny little clicking sound.

It sometimes just doesn't stop.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

RagnarokZ posted:

You know the little indicator sound when you bust up a crime scene and what not, tiny little clicking sound.

It sometimes just doesn't stop.

Oh wow, never heard of that. That sounds annoying as all hell.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Alchenar posted:

Another thing - Night City really suffers from being utterly impossible to mentally map. Yes each district is... somewhat different but not noticeably so.

Is this one of the things that lets me enjoy the game experience better, that I actually do this? I instinctually know my way around most of the city and can identify where I am based on my surroundings.

Northside has a very distinct visual feel, especially at night (uses yellow-gold streetlights modeled after cheap low pressure sodium lighting) and has large unused sections that include large waterways, a nuclear plant, the nominally inaccessible Arasaka Waterfront, and several empty sets of buildings and open garages. Kabuki is tight overlapping Kowloon style corridors wrapped around a giant shantytown/favela style slum. Japantown is like the more upper class version of Little China, your starter zone, with a red overlay theme painted on most of its walkways and streets and attempts to decorate and class up the region with various architectural or botanical flair. Heywood is extremely distinct and asset-rich and honestly may have deserved to be your real starting point, especially involving the glen and vista del ray. Santo Domingo is the degenerated chud burbs, with lots of open rows of single family units on straight streets, surrounded by various industrial projects or prisons and also mostly unused project housing zones, and it culminates in the hill climbing up. Westbrook is North Oak (hollywood hills, basically) and the corpo den of Charter Hill. Pacifica is probably the most distinct of the city districts, and most players automatically know when they are there but might miss the large waterway walkway. Most of Pacifica is inaccessible, including a whole series of blocks of buildings you cannot access, and a completely unused but very visible sports coliseum. The flats have lots of solar farms and a Forbidden Zone you can farm mechs in. All this plus the chasm you can't cross and the spaceport you can't access means that there's a lot of presently unused/inaccessible space throughout that could feature in future content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Alchenar posted:

Another thing - Night City really suffers from being utterly impossible to mentally map. Yes each district is... somewhat different but not noticeably so. [...]
I know what you mean.

But then again, I'm on my second playthrough, and I'm coming across minor combat sites (I'm talking about "crime in progress" or some of the simplest gigs) and recognize them.
So while I cannot map the city in my mind, there are enough subtile characteristics that I recognize some dumb back alley, several months after seeing it the first and last time.