Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Here's my 40K story:

I painted some of their miniature pretty bright blue, yellow and purple colors when I got some from somebody way back in the day. :)

I never played the game or read any books, but mine were so cute looking. :3:

you created “Cutehammer 40k“ and you should have made a billion with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/ZM7KAVp.mp4

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Any man who uses the term "Females" in any context that isn't about ants or bees deserves to be sent to mouthbreather jail.

On an unrelated note what Space Operas are worthy of mention and recommendation? Starting with...

TV: Star Trek Deep Space Nine

Game: Homeworld, though you have to pay Gearbox for the privilege

Literature: Legend of the Galactic Heroes, main series now published in English, has numerous adaptations

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Time_pants posted:

I mean, yeah, but the idea of using some mundane thing that has existed for decades to commit heinous atrocities against an unsuspecting civilization isn't exactly without real-world parallels. Ransomware, phone scams, and social media bot farms are all subversions of existing technology that seem obvious now, but didn't before the line had been crossed. I mean, the narrative arc of the 21st century thus far has been, "fly passenger jet into building, watch as society spends the next two decades eating itself."

Now, the fact that teleporter technology didn't continue to be used to commit random acts of consequence-free murder throughout the series after it had been introduced in that episode? That's the unrealistic part.

i just ment to say that a teleporter would be such a fundamental change that it must alter every aspect of live, including weapons.
just like antigrav. but because those 2 technologies wil never ever exists (not in this universe) the discussion is of course completely theoretical.

phone scams use modern technology to gently caress people over absolutely.
but its like you use current technology to repeat something (a phone call) thousands of times.

antigrav would break the laws of physics, but is a popular scifi topic, even though nothing would stay the same as before.

lets go back in history when humanity invented the wheel, a freakin milestone in human evolution. before that, humanity was using sleds (not on snow, just on everything) to move stuff. the stones for the pyramids were moved with sleds. so after the wheel was invented, sleds just dont have a place anymore, its over. thats what i wanted to say, that there can be technologies that will completrly eclipse other technologies and....

ah well...i will go to bed now :D

edit: nah i need to add another thing. in one tng episode riker is accitentaly duplicated in the teleporter. that means that you can create backups of yourself with a teleporter, so why dont they do it all the time? if humanity has ethitcal restrictions, there are enough other species in the star trek universe but none of them does it.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 2, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

On an unrelated note what Space Operas are worthy of mention and recommendation? Starting with...

Literature: Legend of the Galactic Heroes, main series now published in English, has numerous adaptations

Depends upon how you define space opera exactly

Anime: Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Space Pirate Harlock, Space Battleship Yamato

TV: Firefly, Star Trek TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica,

Movie: Fifth Element, Half the Star Treks, Half the Star Warses, Serenity, Galaxy Quest, Heavy Metal

Book: Dune

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I think that every post on the front page of the general forum on spectrum right now is either about :females: or the ship naming thing

they seem genuinely mad about both

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG really screwed up, rule #1 is don't mess with a Citizens space ships.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bumble He posted:

i just ment to say that a teleporter would be such a fundamental change that it must alter every aspect of live, including weapons.
just like antigrav. but because those 2 technologies wil never ever exists (not in this universe) the discussion is of course completely theoretical.

but its like you use current technology to repeat something (a phone call) thousands of times.

antigrav would break the laws of physics, but is a popular scifi topic, even though nothing would stay the same as before.

lets go back in history when humanity invented the wheel, a freakin milestone in human evolution. before that, humanity was using sleds (not on snow, just on everything) to move stuff. the stones for the pyramids were moved with sleds. so after the wheel was invented, sleds just dont have a place anymore, its over. thats what i wanted to say, that there can be technologies that will completrly eclipse other technologies and....

edit: nah i need to add another thing. in one tng episode riker is accitentaly duplicated in the teleporter. that means that you can create backups of yourself with a teleporter, so why dont they do it all the time? if humanity has ethitcal restrictions, there are enough other species in the star trek universe but none of them does it.

Sleds are still widely used, though, because wheels have an issue with big pressure concentration in one spot. Everywhere where there's too much snow, sleds are used. Technically they are used on water (floatplanes, katamarans and such) and also tanks (which also use wheels to enable "sleds" aka belts, so they are kinda hybrid). They might find some use on Moon/Mars, too, because of the fine dust there.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Any man who uses the term "Females" in any context that isn't about ants or bees deserves to be sent to mouthbreather jail.

TV: Babylon 5

Game: Star Traders: Frontiers; Stellar Tactics

RPG: Traveller. Oh, and Traveller in case I hadn't mentioned it.

Books: Asimov's Foundation series. The best depiction of 1950s America in space EVER (yes yes, including Heinlein).

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It's a testament to the dumbness of the lore that I can't tell if that's real or not.

Yay I made it poo poo enough XD

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pixelate posted:

Yay I made it poo poo enough XD

CIG lore team: "you're hired!"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Books: Asimov's Foundation series. The best depiction of 1950s America in space EVER (yes yes, including Heinlein).

I havent heard anything positive about the spinoffs and side-stories beyond the initial three volumes, especially since after the first 550 years he ran out of ideas.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

I havent heard anything positive about the spinoffs and side-stories beyond the initial three volumes, especially since after the first 550 years he ran out of ideas.

I disagree, I think Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth are good, solid sci fi books with interesting ideas and good stories.

I haven't read anything else related to Foundation so have no opinion on the spin offs etc.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

This is not the first post I've seen on the subject

Here's an idea too:

gently caress your dumb idea. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

Female astronauts just take contraceptive pills if they don't want to have a period in space (but they can have it if they want to)

The knowledge base of these people predates 60s.

This is what I do. Works fine. I pretty much have a period when I want to have one which at this point isn't very often at all.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bumble He posted:

you created “Cutehammer 40k“ and you should have made a billion with it.

Omg I have missed decades of money!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bumble He posted:

I'm by no means a Star Trek expert, but if I recall how the teleporters work is it clones you, transfers your data, and simultaneously recreates you somewhere else while vaporizing the other version of you that started the process. So you technically can be both cloned, or lost inside the teleporter as a ghost, depending on the malfunction I guess.

I think the teleporters were one of Star treks more evil inventions that people sort of hand waved away in newer versions.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 2, 2021

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
re: warhammer 40k, I think one of the things that undermines the satire is making all the Imperium's perceived threats actually real. I mean it would be like an alternate medieval history where witches were real and really dangerous, and had to be dealt with by burning at the stake. I mean, I suppose at that point you couldn't fault the catholic church as much... but the whole point is they weren't real. And in wh40k humanity is basically in danger of being exterminated from like 15 different directions. You probably would need some sort of authoritarian militant civilization just for pure survival needs.

Then there's the part where it's lore for a wargame which is literally about having fun shooting each other to bits, and reasons to be able to do that forever. So yeah, I can see how some alt-right folks would take to it. But I still have enjoyed some of the stories mentioned, though it does start to feel pretty one-note after a while.

Sort of reminds me of some of the WW2 strategy games I'm playing. Some where you can play as the German army and win, which is like... ok I'll try not to think too hard about this. Oh look someone uploaded the SS Waffen divisions onto the steam workshop, gotta have those in there. :raise:

Sort of gets to the whole issue with fandoms in bad faith, in general. Like obviously movies about mobsters aren't trying to make them out like great people, but people wanna be Scarface. Which is like, you also made the movie cool so people just wanna feel badass like that. Maybe there are better ways to make the source material, but also people are gonna twist things for their own benefit, ultimately.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

L. Ron Hoover posted:

re: warhammer 40k, I think one of the things that undermines the satire is making all the Imperium's perceived threats actually real. I mean it would be like an alternate medieval history where witches were real and really dangerous, and had to be dealt with by burning at the stake. I mean, I suppose at that point you couldn't fault the catholic church as much... but the whole point is they weren't real. And in wh40k humanity is basically in danger of being exterminated from like 15 different directions. You probably would need some sort of authoritarian militant civilization just for pure survival needs.

Then there's the part where it's lore for a wargame which is literally about having fun shooting each other to bits, and reasons to be able to do that forever. So yeah, I can see how some alt-right folks would take to it. But I still have enjoyed some of the stories mentioned, though it does start to feel pretty one-note after a while.

Sort of reminds me of some of the WW2 strategy games I'm playing. Some where you can play as the German army and win, which is like... ok I'll try not to think too hard about this. Oh look someone uploaded the SS Waffen divisions onto the steam workshop, gotta have those in there. :raise:

Sort of gets to the whole issue with fandoms in bad faith, in general. Like obviously movies about mobsters aren't trying to make them out like great people, but people wanna be Scarface. Which is like, you also made the movie cool so people just wanna feel badass like that. Maybe there are better ways to make the source material, but also people are gonna twist things for their own benefit, ultimately.

You're welcome to steal my alternate history 40K where space marines paint each other's armor and the aliens critique who is the most flamboyantly decorated once a year at the center of known space.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I'm by no means a Star Trek expert, but if I recall how the teleporters work is it clones you, transfers your data, and simultaneously recreates you somewhere else while vaporizing the other version of you that started the process. So you technically can be both cloned, or lost inside the teleporter as a ghost, depending on the malfunction I guess.

I think the teleporters were one of Star treks more evil inventions that people sort of hand waved away in newer versions.
like many beloved sci fi franchises, the lore grew around the transporters as more and more of the universe had to be fleshed out

originally transporters were created because they didn't have the budget to have the entire enterprise land on the planet. so they made a shuttle thing but it was also loving overbudget and not ready for filming. so a writer was like "just have them appear on the planet surface or something" and lo, transporters were created with some aluminum and a slow motion camera. a cheap, quick fix that became recognizable throughout the world

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Titanic posted:

Definitely. What's fun is in the original ST, Bones refused to use the teleporters. (Because he knew the implications lol)

That's a grim detail that they've basically ignored ever since TOS.

I do think teleporters get into some real fun discussions of the ship-of-theseus and the nature of self (in absence of some magical otherworldly "soul")

But while most people think that a teleporter involves killing you and creating a clone (even if its not outright stated that way like in ST) people don't think of a cyborg or a person with a prosthesis as being a clone or a whole other person, so, yeah, ship-of-Theseus.

What is a man? A miserable pile of pledges and spaceship jpgs. But enough talk!

L. Ron Hoover posted:

100%. Its tough to know where to draw the line. I enjoy watching something like Saving Private Ryan but then I think Call of Duty is starting to feel gross.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Titanic posted:

They explored this in many episodes, in fact: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Transporter_accident and https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Transporter_suspension

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Star Trek transporters are basically suicide booths.

I forgot title of the book, it had a character who could teleport, but ended up being haunted by his own ghosts.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 2, 2021

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

40k has a real problem with it's original anti-fascist/authoritarian message being ground down by decades of commercial profit. Like yeah the running theme of the Imperium being a godawful nightmare and all of humanity suffering in eternal slavery to their theocratic fascist system is always there in the background. But with a universe as over the top and unsubtle as 40k they should absolutely be throwing it in your face a lot more.

Doesn't help that people are more likely to buy cool books if they have likeable charcters. Eisenhorn is an agent of the fascist secret police who is immune from every single law ever but he's also a kinda likeable badass rogue so you might not think as much about what he actually represents. And Gaunt's Ghosts may be the order-following footroops of the worst government in human history but they say schlocky one-liners while shooting laser guns at the armies of literal demon-worshippers so you root for them to expand the Imperium's living space.

I like 40k, I like the way the ridiculous setting lends itself to swashbucking action and cool space armies fighting WWI style battles for all eternity. But it does have problems.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
transporter malfunctions gave us two rikers, they are a-okay in my book

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

I forgot title of the book, it had a character who could teleport, but ended up being haunted by his own ghosts.
the stars my destination?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

like many beloved sci fi franchises, the lore grew around the transporters as more and more of the universe had to be fleshed out

originally transporters were created because they didn't have the budget to have the entire enterprise land on the planet. so they made a shuttle thing but it was also loving overbudget and not ready for filming. so a writer was like "just have them appear on the planet surface or something" and lo, transporters were created with some aluminum and a slow motion camera. a cheap, quick fix that became recognizable throughout the world

Yes, that's what I remember also. But the lore behind it was pretty violent.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

the new personal transporters in discovery made me lol at least

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Dwesa posted:

Kraken, china mieville

Obviously others have done the "is it the same you or a new person reappearing?" But that's the only one I remember past selves haunting someone

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The "Lensman" books are the defining space opera. Serious :females: problems, which is *deeply* ironic when one of the main themes of the entire series is about beings of entirely different temperaments, societal backgrounds, and fundamental ways of looking at the universe nonetheless meeting eachother on an intellectual level on an even basis. You know, as long as they arn't women. :raise:

Other than that they are pretty enjoyable, with a constant back and forth of the protagonists being outwitted or outplayed by the villains, then turning the tables through cleverness and hard work.

Nice, thanks.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 2, 2021

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

This is not the first post I've seen on the subject

I like the suggestion of the red tinge effect in the screen, like the berserker power up in DOOM

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

threelemmings posted:

Kraken, china mieville

Obviously others have done the "is it the same you or a new person reappearing?" But that's the only one I remember past selves haunting someone
That's the one, thanks.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Titanic posted:

Most of it created during TNG, because TNG was about that stuff. TOS was nice, but it was in many cases ppl hopping around planets (and it wasn't bad, but not always my cup of tea). Whereas TNG embraced "We need an episode about moral dilemma. What could cause a moral dilemma, be it on Enterprise or a planet?" concept and worked it to a great success.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

IMHO the prequels and sequels are better books than the original trilogy - the original trilogy was written to be serialised in a sci-fi magazine, and put together into book form, the pacing is really really weird. Like, you turn a page and its like '100 years later...'

Second foundation is an amazing book though.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. I stopped following this back when the forums had a subforum dedicated to Star Citizen (thread moved too fast and it got depressing seeing the poo poo coming out of CIG). Years later I spot this thread and am genuinely baffled.

How the gently caress is Star Citizen still a thing!? Surely they should have run out of money by now? Hell things looked bad before we entered the pandemic. Considering the state of the world I'd think even the most devoted members of CIG's following would have difficulty finding the money to buy new jpgs.

I shouldn't be suprised but here I am.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Nyeehg posted:

Holy poo poo. I stopped following this back when the forums had a subforum dedicated to Star Citizen (thread moved too fast and it got depressing seeing the poo poo coming out of CIG). Years later I spot this thread and am genuinely baffled.

How the gently caress is Star Citizen still a thing!? Surely they should have run out of money by now? Hell things looked bad before we entered the pandemic. Considering the state of the world I'd think even the most devoted members of CIG's following would have difficulty finding the money to buy new jpgs.

They got free money from the government to spend on jpegs, silly

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Nyeehg posted:

They had their best funding year in 2020 lol

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.

no_recall posted:

I absolutely love how backers pay for all this poo poo.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

The Titanic posted:

You're welcome to steal my alternate history 40K where space marines paint each other's armor and the aliens critique who is the most flamboyantly decorated once a year at the center of known space.

Thanks, I like it! In the nice bright future there is only love. Love for the love god :swoon: Basically a 40K version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozWpY6Cn67Y

Zaphod42 posted:

100%. Its tough to know where to draw the line. I enjoy watching something like Saving Private Ryan but then I think Call of Duty is starting to feel gross.

Haha very true for me too. Tbh one of the reasons I like WW2 games and movies is it's one of the most just wars that I can think of, on the allied side of course, even with some issues and shades of grey. The more recent war media gets the more uncomfortable it is for me, which sucks because in terms of cinematography, gameplay or whatever it might be great. Sometimes I just hold my nose and turn my brain off though, or just watch it sort of knowing it's kind of a propaganda effort, but a really well made one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

They got free money from the government to spend on jpegs, silly

Wait, what!? Maybe other countries are doing better but considering how little money the government has given out in the UK and the US spending any of it (let alone most of it) on jpegs is just suicidal!

I just... :psyduck: