Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.theabsolute.net/misogyny/sim.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
yeah the fact that this is all in character and presented as the perspective of a person who is in continuity presented as very deranged and pathetic rather complicates the straightforward misogynist reading even as sim also deliberately conflates victor davis into being a kind of a self insert as the sequence goes on it reminds me a lot of the infamous all men are rapists are quote which is always presented as an unironic this is what feminists actually believe thing even though in the original fictional context the line is being delivered by someone whos being presented as having kind of gone off the deep end

i dont remember which exact issue it was but shortly thereafter viktor davis is tied into the main narrative directly as being a weirdo who creeps on jaka and her bonding with her portraiture artist over the inherent creepy grossness of guys like that is presented as the hope spot that will maybe finally allow jaka to move on from cerebus and find a fulfilling life this isnt an abstract reading in context this is pretty explicitly the entire reason why theres these extensive viktor davis portions of the story in the first place theyre intended to explain why jaka left cerebus and the fact that cerebus himself piggishly interprets the portraiture artist scene as implying a sexual relationship between jaka and the artist just underscores how cerebus is a miserable fuckup whose own toxic views about gender have ruined him

at any rate i consider this interpretation to be considerably more nuanced and interesting than the typical dave sim hates women now because he got divorced the guys got a lot more selfawareness than people give him credit for especially given the rampant sexpestery going on in comics at the time in general i mean poo poo nearly any one of the real life comic people who get namedropped in the later viktor davis story sections have since been connected with sexpestery which makes those sequences now feel less like dave sim bragging about all his cool successful comic book friends and more unsubtly suggesting that viktor davis is an amalgram of multiple different comics writers rather than just intending to represent dave sim

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There may be a morbid game in figuring out which blatant misogynists in media provided cover for the woke sexual abusers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I peaced out after the big fight in jakas story, there is some insanely legit stuff in high society and church and state tho

Jaka's Story is the last good and even comprehensible story of Cerebus.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's honestly a pretty steep climb in quality for the first 120 or so, I envy you your trip

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Someone give me a bread and roses invite. I'm planning my escape.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

mysterious frankie posted:

Someone give me a bread and roses invite. I'm planning my escape.

Just register and post in the cspam lowtax thread. Tell wampalord what name you're using

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Just register and post in the cspam lowtax thread. Tell wampalord what name you're using

Done thanks

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1276399033934897152

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Watching Jack Ryan S2 for background noise and for laffos.

In the first episode Greer gets the cops off him by telling him the couple behind him were fighting, the police totally buy it and go harass them instead.

Lol Russian cops are going totally going to let a black guy who's Russian probably has American smeared all over it tell them the white couple behind him are fighting (they're not that far away either) and they just take his word for it and forget about him entirely :allears:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

skooma512 posted:

Watching Jack Ryan S2 for background noise and for laffos.

In the first episode Greer gets the cops off him by telling him the couple behind him were fighting, the police totally buy it and go harass them instead.

Lol Russian cops are going totally going to let a black guy who's Russian probably has American smeared all over it tell them the white couple behind him are fighting (they're not that far away either) and they just take his word for it and forget about him entirely :allears:

The CIA helping a left-wing populist oust an authoritarian who sells off his country's resources for his own personal enrichment will never not be funny

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

yeah the fact that this is all in character and presented as the perspective of a person who is in continuity presented as very deranged and pathetic rather complicates the straightforward misogynist reading

As detail here, presenting your author avatar who speaks truth to power as a dishevelled, widely despised madman is a tradition dating back to Diogenes' actual life

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1276052526341775361?p=v

Viet Thanh Nguyen posted:

I stand with Black Lives Matter and against anti-Black racism, but still, as I watched the obligatory scene of Vietnamese soldiers getting shot and killed for the thousandth time, and as I felt the same hurt I did in watching “Platoon” and “Rambo” and “Full Metal Jacket,” I thought: Does it make any difference if politically conscious Black men kill us?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Are we meant to take this as a good take or a bad take, or just food for thought?

I thought the movie was okay, though it's really at its best in the first hour before the plot really takes off.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/christapeterso/status/1277301466013696000?s=19

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/batmanslander/status/1277316431432962048?s=21

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i'm a rights virgin :(

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I watched that “Don’t” show on Hulu and it’s like... imagine Jackbox Games developed a new Nickelodeon game show for adults. I agree it feels moderately dystopian, but hell, I’ll take it.

Then I watch the new Eric Andre stand up special and it was exactly what you might expect. He talks about doing drugs from maybe the first third, he crawls on the audience at one point, gets naked, FaceTimes someone’s mom. Best bit was like ting out how weird it is that Cops used a chill reggae song as it’s theme. Best standup special on Netflix, but it’s also a Netflix comedy special, so, you I know... didn’t have to try too hard.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Honestly my dislike for Lena Dunham dropped quite a bit during the Trump era because I felt like she kept a lower profile, and also many of her initial POC liberal critics also revealed themselves to be cynical cultural clout grifters as well. And I'm not too sure why this 2017 story is now making rounds on Twitter again.
https://twitter.com/ahmedbest/status/1277361972904734721?s=20
Anyway, the annoyance I had for this woman back in 2012 is coming back. Can I have a TV show now?

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Jun 29, 2020

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Lena got her show because her parents are big wigs in the NYC art scene, and I'm sure you all know how much evil rich scumfucks like using art to launder money.

same thing with Game of Thrones, those clowns had not a lick of experience making shows, but one of them's dad used to run goldman sachs and later in life served on the President's Intelligence Advisory Board.

https://bgr.com/2019/10/28/game-of-thrones-season-8s-bad-writing-finally-almost-explained/

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

Honestly my dislike for Lena Dunham dropped quite a bit during the Trump era because I felt like she kept a lower profile, and also many of her initial POC liberal critics also revealed themselves to be cynical cultural clout grifters as well. And I'm not too sure why this 2017 story is now making rounds on Twitter again.
Anyway, the annoyance I had for this woman back in 2011 is coming back. Can I have a TV show now?

Yeah that bitch got a piece in the New York Times written about a dinner party she had at like 16 years old.

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/27/style/good-company-a-crunchy-menu-for-a-youthful-crowd.html

She's an aristocrat.

uber_stoat posted:

Lena got her show because her parents are big wigs in the NYC art scene, and I'm sure you all know how much evil rich scumfucks like using art to launder money.

same thing with Game of Thrones, those clowns had not a lick of experience making shows, but one of them's dad used to run goldman sachs and later in life served on the President's Intelligence Advisory Board.

https://bgr.com/2019/10/28/game-of-thrones-season-8s-bad-writing-finally-almost-explained/

Oh yes, the famed directors who were just fine with bailing on a show and going off to film Star Wars, and then getting kicked off that poo poo too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Also, the more I think about it, the more I found it hilarious back in 2012 how every white wannabe auteur got personally offended by the Girls backlash. This included pop culture writers for AV Club and people I knew in real life who lacked Lena Dunham's parents' connections. They just hated the idea that thanks to the internet, once they hypothetically make it passed the Hollywood gatekeepers, it's not just their fellow creative class of folks defining their public image; that people can't just sit on their asses and let mass media uncritically shove mumblecore poo poo down their throat as Important Pop Culture Thing.

Edit: I just remembered her movie that got released when she was 24 is technically a Criterion film.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Jun 29, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

General Dog posted:

Are we meant to take this as a good take or a bad take, or just food for thought?

I thought the movie was okay, though it's really at its best in the first hour before the plot really takes off.

i thought it was a good take personally i think vietnam war movies are very overrated and the article goes into a lot of the reasons for why

will admit that the quote alone without context could be read a lot of different ways i havent seen da 5 bloods by the way

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lena Dunham's just Paris Hilton with less self-awareness

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

skooma512 posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

first probe in 8 years, lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Echo Chamber posted:

Anyway, the annoyance I had for this woman back in 2012 is coming back. Can I have a TV show now?

Also, not exactly a ground-breaking comment, but that cast photo is basically nepotism.png.

L-R: Brian Williams's daughter, Simon Kirke's (drummer for Free) daughter, daughter of NYC art scions, daughter of David Mamet & Lindsay Crouse

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think Good Morning Vietnam is the only Vietnam War movie that treats the Vietnamese in a vaguely human way.

That's not a good look.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It’s a valid criticism, but at the same time it’s kind of cooked into any war movie with a focus on foot soldiers that the enemy will be something of a scary, faceless other.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think Good Morning Vietnam is the only Vietnam War movie that treats the Vietnamese in a vaguely human way.

That's not a good look.

when heaven and earth changed places does this but im not sure you can really call it a war movie considering the main character is a vietnamese woman who ditches the country and becomes a war bride halfway through

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

General Dog posted:

It’s a valid criticism, but at the same time it’s kind of cooked into any war movie with a focus on foot soldiers that the enemy will be something of a scary, faceless other.

I mean, even the Lord of the Rings movies managed to have a scene where they show that the enemy isn't a scary, faceless other:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVpCeQqluf8

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alhazred posted:

I mean, even the Lord of the Rings movies managed to have a scene where they show that the enemy isn't a scary, faceless other:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVpCeQqluf8

Having watched Da 5 Bloods but not read that article about it, I vaguely recall that the early scenes where the protagonists are tourists in modern Vietnam, before they go into the jungle and start having flashbacks, have some important humanizing moments where they have friendly-but-hesitant interactions with former Vietnamese soldiers who are also now old men and buy them drinks in a bar, and their Vietnamese guide talks to them about the legacy of the war.

Also the flashbacks to which that author refers are very stylized and filmed in a way that, to my reading at least, made them seem more like the subjective memories of the soldiers as old men (most symbolized by the fact that it's the same actors playing them with no de-aging at all, and that they're filmed very differently and even shot in a different aspect ratio), rather than an objective display of what actually happened. My reading of those flashbacks was that they were more like present-day PTSD memories than flashbacks for the sake of the movie audience to see what happened, and imo it's a justifiable artistic decision to dehumanize enemy soldiers in PTSD flashbacks while humanizing them in the rest of the movie.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

its been a while since ive seen it but weirdly the mel gibson oorah vietnam movie devotes a bit of time to the vietnamese; doesn't actually go into why they're fighting but the enemy is at least humanized. probably because the book it's based on was jointly written by the us and nva commanders at the battle

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

T-man posted:

first probe in 8 years, lol

Now I've truly embraced C-Spam.

I get it though, no arguments on that one.

StashAugustine posted:

its been a while since ive seen it but weirdly the mel gibson oorah vietnam movie devotes a bit of time to the vietnamese; doesn't actually go into why they're fighting but the enemy is at least humanized. probably because the book it's based on was jointly written by the us and nva commanders at the battle

Wow I had no idea it had involvement with Vietnamese. I think I even read the book but that was like over 15 years ago at this point.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Having watched Da 5 Bloods but not read that article about it, I vaguely recall that the early scenes where the protagonists are tourists in modern Vietnam, before they go into the jungle and start having flashbacks, have some important humanizing moments where they have friendly-but-hesitant interactions with former Vietnamese soldiers who are also now old men and buy them drinks in a bar, and their Vietnamese guide talks to them about the legacy of the war.

Also the flashbacks to which that author refers are very stylized and filmed in a way that, to my reading at least, made them seem more like the subjective memories of the soldiers as old men (most symbolized by the fact that it's the same actors playing them with no de-aging at all, and that they're filmed very differently and even shot in a different aspect ratio), rather than an objective display of what actually happened. My reading of those flashbacks was that they were more like present-day PTSD memories than flashbacks for the sake of the movie audience to see what happened, and imo it's a justifiable artistic decision to dehumanize enemy soldiers in PTSD flashbacks while humanizing them in the rest of the movie.

My post wasn't so much about Da 5 Bloods but that most Vietnam war is unable to portray the enemy soldiers as a faceless horde. Even if that is a really low bar to pass.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

skooma512 posted:

Now I've truly embraced C-Spam.

I get it though, no arguments on that one.

Wow I had no idea it had involvement with Vietnamese. I think I even read the book but that was like over 15 years ago at this point.

All I really remember out of the book is the American colonel explaining how hosed they were on the second day of fighting and the NVA officer going "wow if we'd known you were in that bad shape we'd have won easy"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Most Vietnam war movies boil down to the trauma of how we feel after committing war crimes in Vietnam. Whereas most War on Terrortm movies seem to harken back to faceless evil others, while sometimes pretending to be antiwar cause the trauma we have ourselves committing war crimes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Boomers didn't want to fight in Vietnam because it was a stupid loving war and evil, which it was, Boomers didn't want to fight in Vietnam because they were selfish cowards. Then as soon as it was over and they got too old to fight, conservative boomers switched over to talking about how it was a good war that was carried out wrong and liberal boomers focused on narratives about how it was a terrible senseless tragedy done to them. None of these narratives involves seeing the Vietnamese as humans.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Vietnam went communist and the SE Asia went on to destroy the world.

Nah, they got the westerners off their back finally, stayed communist and everything was fine. A westerner can show up there and despite everything we did, there really isn't too much revanchism and people will leave them alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

KomradeX posted:

Most Vietnam war movies boil down to the trauma of how we feel after committing war crimes in Vietnam. Whereas most War on Terrortm movies seem to harken back to faceless evil others, while sometimes pretending to be antiwar cause the trauma we have ourselves committing war crimes

Vietnam is also a tent pole in the big top of boomer mythology. It represents the great betrayal of the military industrial complex- dad making them mow the lawn of history- which encouraged the betrayal of their own supposed high minded beliefs. All this exposure to the monstrous evil that our nation commits, both to its own young people and the rest of the world, in order to sustain a level of unequally distributed wealth, and the big takeaway seemed to be "Time to get real jobs... and keep making those Vietnam war movies; they're kinda fun! :D"

I always go back to the inoculated arms speech in Apocalypse Now. American Vietnam movies want it both ways. Sure we did some hosed up stuff in someone else's country and stared into the abyss, but at at least we're not as twisted as those, erm, other folk.