Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bathos
Sep 20, 2004

Episode 5 isn't showing up in my Steam downloads yet. :(

e:

NM. Restarted and it's downloading. :woop:

Bathos fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Frankston posted:

So what actually happened at the end there when Rhys and Fiona disappeared? I haven't really played any of the borderlands games so do people just vanish when they open chests or what?

Weelllll...if we're going with the end of the Pre-sequel answer...

The vault hunters were told they needed more vault hunters for some sort of reckoning. Perhaps they got called to that?

Also, more likely that ending was Gearbox saying BORDERLANDS 3 IS AN MMO. Which is a shame, but its clear they have MMO intentions.

I'd be cool with Rhys being the CEO of Atlas and Fiona as PC. :(

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Just finished it.

I have the silliest goofiest grin on my face and I can't seem to get rid of it. This was a great story and blew my expectations out of the water from what I expected when I heard Telltale were going to do a Borderlands game. :shobon:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Really Pants posted:

They all look like they have conditions you need to meet first, though. Has anyone told Vallory that everything was August's fault, not told Janey that Athena loves her, and not deployed Scooter's satellite?

August, Janey, and Athena are always available, but their dialogue changes depending on your choices. If you don't patch things up between Athena and Janey they both come, but aren't getting married and don't have as much banter. if you snitched on August, he's still available, but I think he's a bigger prick about it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Alright I only replayed through episode 1 as a result of the Krieg tease and it was actually a pretty good idea since there's dialogue callbacks to it at the very very end. Everything about the final boss fight was amazing. I really want to see each team member's special moves (on youtube).

This is easily one of the best games in a long time, definitely GOTY material.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Good goddamn, that was shockingly good and fun throughout. Reeeeeally hope Telltale decides to do more feelgood games instead of going grimdark/depressing; this is now my favorite game of theirs.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee MY BABY VAUGHN ALL GROWN UP AND BLOWING UP MONSTERS

Was not expecting THAT for the reveal of the stranger but man I cannot wait to go back and play the game again and see how knowing it changes things.

Rhys' future clothes are a GREAT fake out - they look so fancy you'd think he must have gotten them from being President of Hyperion but nope, that lasted less than a hot minute. I couldn't destroy Jack though. I just couldn't. I love Dameon Clarke too much. And I bet that's going to be the canon choice because Borderlands can never leave well enough alone when it comes to Jack.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
That was excellent, I had braced for disappointment that never came.

My final team was Athena, August, Felix/Claptrap, Athena is a no brainer, I thought August deserved a chance to take on his mother's killer, I was hoping to find out what Felix's deal was and allow him redemption(which he really didn't need) and when that failed....claptrap...yeah I was hoping for someone else when I chose the mystery option

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

My first team was Felix, August, and Springs. When Felix did the thing I got the mystery hunter.

I love that guy.

No Such Thing posted:

They need to hand over all Borderlands story development over to this team, they clearly know what they're doing.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'm so glad I picked the mystery hunter :allears:

It isn't Borderlands without him.

I was about to be so mad at Sasha dying.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Anyone else super disappointed that August didn't go ORAORAORAORA! during his special attack?

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

That was SO satisfying. Every time it dragged a little, the next setpiece made up for it.

I lost my first save file and had to roll with some default ep 1 choices, wish I'd have one where Felix lived but it's nice to see that choices really did matter in this series!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AirRaid posted:

I'd be interested to hear everyone's Vault team selection. Who was the mystery vault hunter? I didn't have enough money.

Mine were Athena, August, and Felix/Claptrap. Not having played a Borderlands game before outside of very very rough familiarity with the setting, I didn't know who Claptrap was and kind of wish I had chosen Springs instead.

Really Pants posted:

No, that never happens, but it was the Vault of the Traveler so apparently they've been sent traveling.

And as someone unfamiliar with Borderlands that much what does this even mean? It's like the two protagonists just vanished at the end of the game and roll credits. If they go a-travelin', does that mean that everything that Rhys and Fiona talked about doing after raiding the vault means squat?

I liked the episode, though it toned down on the humor a lot compared to episode 4. The Sasha fakeout was OK but "they're not really dead" gets done a lot.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

It's a huge cliffhanger and nobody knows.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
That was a fantastic finale.

Super glad they didn't go with a downer ending after having finished Life is Strange yesterday. So many amazing moments in that episode, what a satisfying way to end the series.

The game keeps beating me up for not launching the probe honoring Scooter, I missed out on having both Athena and Janey in my raiding party. I ended up with Athena, August, Felix, CLAPTRAP as my ending team. August got a bit of a moment of redemption, Athena was excellent as always and had a nice moment with Fiona at the end, and Claptrap actually made me laugh instead of making me want to rip him to pieces.

Agree that the writers behind this need to be put in charge of the entire series. They actually pulled off something pretty amazing here.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Finally a Borderlands endboss fight that is actually good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

monster on a stick posted:

Mine were Athena, August, and Felix/Claptrap. Not having played a Borderlands game before outside of very very rough familiarity with the setting, I didn't know who Claptrap was and kind of wish I had chosen Springs instead.

And as someone unfamiliar with Borderlands that much what does this even mean? It's like the two protagonists just vanished at the end of the game and roll credits. If they go a-travelin', does that mean that everything that Rhys and Fiona talked about doing after raiding the vault means squat?

I liked the episode, though it toned down on the humor a lot compared to episode 4. The Sasha fakeout was OK but "they're not really dead" gets done a lot.

Basically vaults, while also obviously being vaults that contain, you know, hella loot because they're, well, vaults are these weird otherworldly interconnected things that play by their own rules and have strange special powers and singular abilities

This has never really been fully explained in tales because it's never really relevant, and most people who go for them are horribly greedy and want whatever riches that are within them, but there's a strong implication in 2/pre-sequel that the vaults have something else going on and have unique powers associated with them,

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I appreciate what Life is Strange was doing more because I'm a depressing hipster douche BUT I LOVED THE poo poo OUT OF THIS.

EDIT: My squad was your standard August/Athena/Janey rollout and I'm glad I went with it. And as overdone as the death fakeout was, the execution was just *mwah* perfecto.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 21, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Talorat posted:

Agree that the writers behind this need to be put in charge of the entire series. They actually pulled off something pretty amazing here.

This may be an insensitive way to phrase the question and if so I apologize to any TT employees out there, but was the "B team" working on this? I'm guessing "Game of Thrones" was the obvious hot property, and TT would have wanted to put their best and brightest on something that would have huge appeal to non-gamers, but this seems like the obvious better game. It's kind of like comparing TWD S2 to TWAU - I had never heard of Fables, everyone's heard of The Walking Dead, yet TWAU was clearly the better game in the end.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Notice how Sasha used the same electric Maliwan smg in every single gunfight, except when fighting Vault Guardians, which is always the moment you go "poo poo, why did I sell my electric weapons?!" The writers get this series.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Everything about this series was excellent. Also, I picked Janey, Cassius and Zer0. Apparently Cassius was a very unpopular choice, although his battlyness was very high, but I stand by Springs and Zer0 because they're both awesome.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wow, finally, Janey Springs did something other than being a completely useless Australian space-lesbian!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Holy poo poo what a finale. Fire everyone else at Telltale and just let these people do everything from now on.

And the music they chose was once again excellent.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
^^^As soon as I realized the fall of Hyperion would be set to "Retrograde": :vince:

What's funny is that you'd think considering how often anything not The Walking Dead gets a sequel season, I'd feel blueballed by the ending being "And then they vanished into thin air. The end!" I do, but I can't even work up that much frothy rage over it, it just works somehow.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
This episode was :perfect:

But in all seriousness, Telltale knocked it out of the park with this series, between the writers who were just top notch, the animators who really nailed the character animations, the fun background stuff and the incredible work of the voice actors, this is my favorite game of this year. Hell this is one of those games I'm probably going to pop in once or twice a year to play. I know how it goes, but I don't care, I play and I crack the biggest grin on my face.

My Voltron/Power Ranger team was Athena (no duh there), August (I figured it'd be a nice conclusion to his arc since he's been so omnipresent this whole series and he showed himself to have some depth) and Cassius (I figured, why not and seeing him pull a Kamehameha was well worth it I felt).

If you chose Felix, is he there when Sasha is "dying" or is it just Claptrap being claptrap? I didn't even know Claptrap was an option, I just thought it was Telltale being cheeky with Gearbox and DLC preorders.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

This was a good video game, but I am very confused about two things:

Why was krieg not in it
Why was the hadouken input not quarter-circle punch

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jimmy4400nav posted:

If you chose Felix, is he there when Sasha is "dying" or is it just Claptrap being claptrap? I didn't even know Claptrap was an option, I just thought it was Telltale being cheeky with Gearbox and DLC preorders.

I don't believe Felix ever comes with you. He just shows you that he was pulling a long con, has nine million dollars for Fiona/Sasha, and tells you to have a better life than a con artist. You then get to pick someone else, and with the loot you can afford Claptrap.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What happened to Butt Stallion?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

monster on a stick posted:

This may be an insensitive way to phrase the question and if so I apologize to any TT employees out there, but was the "B team" working on this? I'm guessing "Game of Thrones" was the obvious hot property, and TT would have wanted to put their best and brightest on something that would have huge appeal to non-gamers, but this seems like the obvious better game. It's kind of like comparing TWD S2 to TWAU - I had never heard of Fables, everyone's heard of The Walking Dead, yet TWAU was clearly the better game in the end.

Pierre Shorrette was the lead writer on both TWAU and this game.

Although he only headed 1, 2, and 5, different writers did 3 and 4.

I think he was the main story designer though, similar to TWAU.

Of course Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaaman were the heads for TWD Season 1, who have now gone onto Campo Santo.

To answer your question, seems GOT was the B-Team. And the Minecraft game has writers I think are brand new to Telltale.

edit: just watched the final credits again. Mark Darin was creative director on this game. Who was also heavily involved in TWD Seasons 1 and 2. Him, Pierre Shorette and Nick Herman (who directed episode 5) are season leads

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 21, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Definitely a stronger finale than Life Is Strange, but I think I enjoyed the individual eps of LiS a lot more. Still, TftB is probably my second favourite game of the year right behind it. I think TftB got away with a lot more because of its comic tone. When it's not trying to be all serious, players will forgive a lot more of the railroading and general bullshit. Which is at least an interesting detail about this CYOA genre we have nowadays.

I'm a little sad they got away from so many of their initial ideas. We never really got to play a con again, nor did we get to really use the money. But yeah, definitely Telltale's strongest series since TWD season 1. (I don't think it quite surpasses that.)

Couple of random notes:
  • You guys loving called it on Helios exploding, huh?
  • I guess Yvette died in that cell?
  • the Vaugn reveal was weak as hell. It was really obvious. And I'm not entirely sure why he and LB just allowed the hench dude to get right up to Fiona with that knife other than for the dramatic effectiveness.
  • On the other hand, the Loader Bot reveal was fantastic. Don't think anyone saw that coming. I was convinced it was the eyeball-less general. Wonder how the previous eps with the Stranger look though. Does it all add up?
  • Personal taste thing: I was disappointed by the intro song, but the credits song made up for it. Makes sense that we didn't get that Big Data Dangerous tune you guys kept talking about, but I did enjoy listening to that! (Was there any particular reason people were bringing that up?)
  • I'm not the "shipper" type, but I kind of hate the way they pushed the Sasha romance angle. I like that it at least didn't force it into a binary decision, that Rhys got to say "we'll see how it goes", but OH MY GOD it really seemed like Rhys and Fiona should've been an option. When they were chatting in front of that treasure chest, it seemed tender as hell. It might have been a cheesy way to go, but I felt like her and Rhys had a lot more going for them than him and Sasha.
  • The Mega-Gortys stuff was wonderfully silly and exciting and brilliant and funny and adorable. Definitely need to look up the other characters getting brought in there.
  • The Sasha scene elicited some emotion out of me, but her invisible, not-at-all-explained injuries left me scratching my head.
  • The very last beat of the ending was kind of a dick move, but not bad enough to ruin it.

theblackw0lf posted:

Pierre Shorrette was the lead writer on both TWAU and this game.
That's quite interesting. Ought to keep an eye on him.

Air is lava! posted:

I was ready for dissapointment, when after all that part collecting Gortys had to be destroyed and we couldn't even see the scary monster. That felt like a major letdown. But they certainly pulled it of in the end.
Even though they paid it off. I think they could have sold that bit a little better. A bit more atmosphere of chaos and horror to it. It should have been some confusing unknowable horror, instead it just felt rushed and like they were holding back. (Which they were, but it's stronger if we weren't left wondering.)

TheMopeSquad posted:

Funniest scene in the episode for me was Athena getting a legit job as a fry cook for Grease Face.
Oh, THAT's what happened? I was extremely confused about that bit.

Jetamo posted:

Also aaaaargh the game thinks I made the opposite decision to what I picked at the ending of Episode 4. I don't really want to replay Episode 4/possibly further back to fix this.
I think this happened to me too. In ep 4 I initially agreed to his plan, but then hesitated when it came time to plug the thing in, and got locked into it. It listed my decision as refusal after the ep.

Then in this ep it acted like I'd gone along with it and made references to him giving a speech which he didn't in my game.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

VagueRant posted:

Couple of random notes:

• I guess Yvette died in that cell?

Not on my playthrough :)

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

VagueRant posted:

The very last beat of the ending was kind of a dick move, but not bad enough to ruin it.

I don't know why that would be, it fairly obviously teleported them directly to the sequel/BL3.

I was hugely unconvinced on this because I wasn't a fan of Borderlands, but bought it because of thread chat. So glad I did. Thanks goons.

I'm curious what else you can get in the Super Sentai Gortys line-up:

• August - boxing with rocket fists
  • Janey - rocket boost feet, kickboxing
  • Cassius - HADOKEN

What else?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Athena using... wait for it... her shield. No surprises there. I had her and Springs because I wanted to see their interactions, and August because I didn't care so much about the other choices I had. Zer0 and the secret hunter were locked for me. Any other choices that interact with eachother at all?

This was a pretty damned awesome game, loved almost all of it. On comparing it to GoT, I don't hate the GoT game as much as some of the rest of you but one thing that makes this way better is the fact that the writers seem to have had some room to move the story around in. With GoT you know it takes place in the past compared to where the books/show are at, yet there are some of the books'/show's characters in there. You already know what's going to happen for a large part. Here the writers got to write the future after BL2 and were allowed to kill Scooter. I don't think GRRM would ever allow such things. Of course the writers did a stellar job, there's that as well.

Griefor fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 21, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Vargs posted:

This was a good video game, but I am very confused about two things:

Why was krieg not in it
Why was the hadouken input not quarter-circle punch

Kreig is obsessed with Maya so he's probably too busy staring at her to do anything.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

Griefor posted:

Athena using... wait for it... her shield. No surprises there. I had her and Springs because I wanted to see their interactions, and August because I didn't care so much about the other choices I had. Zer0 and the secret hunter were locked for me. Any other choices that interact with eachother at all?

Cassius tells Rhys to call him when it's time to start working again, considering that Rhys is now technically his boss.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I said Claptrap would show up, and he did, because come on, you can't have a Borderlands game without the series mascot in it.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

I said Claptrap would show up, and he did, because come on, you can't have a Borderlands game without the series mascot in it.

This was the perfect way to do Claptrap though, he's completely optional.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Wasn't there an option to not take Felix's gift for Sasha and just leave it in the box? I might try that next playthrough and see if Sasha dies for really real because the watch healing her felt like such an rear end pull.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm curious what else you can get in the Super Sentai Gortys line-up:

• August - boxing with rocket fists
  • Janey - rocket boost feet, kickboxing
  • Cassius - HADOKEN

What else?

Claptrap launches a shitton of missiles into the air that land on the guard monster thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

Wasn't there an option to not take Felix's gift for Sasha and just leave it in the box? I might try that next playthrough and see if Sasha dies for really real because the watch healing her felt like such an rear end pull.

I *think* the option was look/don't look. In my playthrough Fiona never looked in the box but did keep the box with her and gave it to Sasha in episode 5.

• Locked thread