Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Because the lynch is the town's only tool to catch scum and by no lynching you undermine the town's ability to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

QuoProQuid posted:

Because the lynch is the town's only tool to catch scum and by no lynching you undermine the town's ability to win.
you don't get it

Even though you technically correct here

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

But we can also invade each other and also there are like 25 players so one no lynch won't hurt that much.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Pander's been asking for a replacement for about 24 hours, i can give you guys an extension though? A rolling deadline thing where i'll not call it end of day while there's still discussion ongoing.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm OK without an extension but I think most of the others might want it.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

busb posted:

Pander's been asking for a replacement for about 24 hours, i can give you guys an extension though? A rolling deadline thing where i'll not call it end of day while there's still discussion ongoing.

Don't really care either way. Unless you say plurality lynch because I don't know why we don't use them more.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

bowmore posted:

Other option is Meinberg but I don't know what the case is on him

The case on me is that I'm not very good at being funny.

busb posted:

A rolling deadline would probably be for the best. I know I hadn't realized that the deadline was tonight, and I suspect there are others who are the same.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I won't be around past 9, but I'm alright with it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

yuming posted:

This is a p big misrepresentation of my posts, Scrappy Doo.

My vote has a good reason that I just explained.

I haven't been active the last few hours, I have been cooking which is something I posted in the thread.

I am not aggressive as scum that is bullshit. Quit posting bullshit tia.

<3

Did not see your post until I made mine, but your reasoning smells like an OMGUS that you tried to justify after the fact

I made a mistake in that regard but you've been posting regularly throughout the day and have had more than opportunities than necessary to contribute,

My memory tells me otherwise! In most games that we have been in together, players have mentioned that you loathe being scum.

Lampsacus posted:

But we can also invade each other and also there are like 25 players so one no lynch won't hurt that much.

I would still rather avoid a no lynch by any means necessary. It's a stupid decision and does nothing to help our situation.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
HEY SO TOM TUCKER.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Feeling very comfortable with my Yuming vote, I strictly set out that it was a gut read and my only one, but I would stand by it, then Yuming makes a case on me based on having... one gut read and voting for it. That's terrible logic, I stated voluntarily that it was a gut read and on day 1 of a large game I don't think that's unreasonable, and certainly not scummy. Her defense reads like she was just waiting for the nth person to vote for her, knowing that there's little if anything to go off of, and make that point. The problem is that she's trying to defend herself that there's little to go off of, and that's an incredibly scummy defense.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

yuming posted:

HEY SO TOM TUCKER.

But I just elected him for being a chill bro who doesn't play much who came with Grandi's recommendation.

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!
##vote TT :sparkles:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

tearshed posted:

##vote TT :sparkles:

There's two of those now.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Rolling deadline starts in 20 minutes woo!

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

Asiina posted:

There's two of those now.
Yeah I was just about to say, there are two TT's this game.

##vote Tremendous Taste :sparkles:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Sorry yuming, but I'm not really seeing anything against Tom Tucker. It's a vote with a flimsy gut reason but it's end of Day 1 and that's just going to happen with a lot of people.

I personally still think Meinberg is the best choice, but I don't know if I can get 10 people to agree with me.

I'm going to reread Pander.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Hey DBK gonna defend yourself against my argument or na bro?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

Okay seriously man, it's DGK.

With a G.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

It's a rolling deadline. Let's discuss.

I don't want to lynch Yuming through my catchup. She's genuine. I also feel good about Ixt.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
Whatup everyone now I'm here to save the day and am slowly catching up now that I don't have to freak out with a rolling deadline :cheers:.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Lampsacus posted:

Um, not really because the bulk of my argument is gut and yours is dumb?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Asiina posted:

Okay seriously man, it's DGK.

With a G.
:arnold:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It is dumb? Seriously? Is that the best you've got?

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken

busb posted:

Rolling deadline starts in 20 minutes woo!

what does this mean?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Ernie. posted:

It's a rolling deadline. Let's discuss.

I don't want to lynch Yuming through my catchup. She's genuine. I also feel good about Ixt.

Good as in "I think this person is a good lynch candidate" or good as in, "I think this person is a good townie?"

He's a little awkward but I'm leaning town.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Well what else am I supposed to do, people want me to make a case I don't have a great read but I'm not scum.

I'm stuck in a bad place that's stressed me out and there's nothing I can do to make myself look better because I'm trapped in a lovely meta logic argument with players like QPQ and DGK. I am trying to force an alternative but I know I don't have a good read because the nature of this game doesn't lend to scum having to stick their necks out in the thread. Wires are going to get crossed in a game like this where it's hard to tell if someone is acting the way they do out of interest for their empire, or for scum motivations.

So where I'm at is upset me and on the edge of trying to replace out, but I've been all worked up about it for so long and it's so close to deadline that it seems like a waste.

I do want to play but I don't want to deal with this.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

RE: Pander and what I talked about before:

Pander posted:

So it's your second game, but you're eager to dig into meta?
So you're trying to correct him about something he didn't do.

These look like pressure pushes to see how people would react. If Pander was scum he could just ever so slightly misrepresent their stances and throw a vote down. So clearly his motivation here isn't to create some made-up case for himself.

Pander posted:

If you're fake-congratulating a dude on scumslipping, why leave yourself such a blatant out to unvote?

##vote meinberg

This looks like the exact kind of 'catch' that he plays with. It reminds me of his play in A Confederacy of Dunces.

Pander posted:

So you're arguing what, that me pushing people is inherently scummy? Cause me pushing townies seems scummy, and you're saying if I'm pushing scum it's scummy cause I've bussed in the past.

Here let me use some bad meta. You're scum, but can't be hosed to read so you're going to latch onto the very latest development and provide some sorta-reasonable-sounding opinion that's still bullshit. Wow I'm a genius!

This defence against Hal and the escalation feel genuine to me as well.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

VivaNova posted:

what does this mean?

Once the deadline hits, the day ends when discussion dies off, or when someone is lynched.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Hey Yuming, let's play together. I'm busy and angry at myself for not being able to play mafia too. I'll read Tom Tucker if you read Hal!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

Good as in "I think this person is a good lynch candidate" or good as in, "I think this person is a good townie?"

He's a little awkward but I'm leaning town.

Good as in good guy. I don't want to reference it because that requires effort but there was some time in the past couple of pages where he just dropped a joke in the middle of a serious conversation. He's not playing like he's stressed or anything.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I'm not even that sure about Tom I'm just trying to be sure about something because I know I'm town and idk idk idk what to do.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ernie. posted:

These look like pressure pushes to see how people would react. If Pander was scum he could just ever so slightly misrepresent their stances and throw a vote down.

At the point he was pushing me he'd already thrown a vote down on me. I'm not sure if that backs up your argument or goes against it, but I wanted to make it clear.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Hal Incandenza posted:

I am getting very strong scum vibes from Pander's recent posting. I haven't full caught up on the thread yet but everything I've seen so far tells me to ##vote Pander

Hal votes Pander when the push is happening.

Hal Incandenza posted:

That's what I am seeing too. He's being overly aggressive even by his standards and his cases don't feel like they are developed from a town mind looking for scum, they read more like "let me write some harassing stuff about someone and maybe I can get them to slip up trying to counter my bluster" which I don't find very genuine at all.

Hal agreeing that Pander pressuring people is scum-motivated.

Hal Incandenza posted:

I'll consider what you are saying.

Hal responding to me saying that's not logical unless Hal also thinks that everyone Pander pushed is a townie.

Hal Incandenza posted:

50 is in this game? I don't think he's posted since I replaced in and I barely remember him from reading earlier.

I'm a bit split on the yuming thing at the moment. I don't love her behavior here and her reaction is a bit defensive even for her. I would consider voting her but I vastly prefer Pander followed by YPM or maybe Ernie although some of his earlier stuff is fairly strong.

I am suddenly on Hal's scum list.

This isn't consistent or how mafia works. If Hal said something like 'If Pander flips scum I'd consider Ernie' that would make sense, but he's just putting people he has light interactions with or about on his scum list (he'd previously said YPM was a flippant poster). This is posting motivated by being seen as consistent rather than opinions that change/develop over the course of the game.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Ernie. posted:

Pander read goes here.

What you said about Pander is how I felt.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Ernie. posted:

Hey Yuming, let's play together. I'm busy and angry at myself for not being able to play mafia too. I'll read Tom Tucker if you read Hal!
Hal is on my team! His read of Pander seemed nuanced enough that it felt real.

Especially when he was trying to explain that difference to someone in thread about it.

I'm not sure on Pander and wish I could've gotten him specifically to follow up on his read of me. Because without that I don't know how to parse it.

The comment that I said I didn't understand,

Pander posted:

I don't like Yuming trying to frame something that may be 'classically scummy' as something that a scum would say. Her vote on fiddy is real bad.
Was kinda nonsense so I wanted to know where he was going with it.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rarity posted:

At the point he was pushing me he'd already thrown a vote down on me. I'm not sure if that backs up your argument or goes against it, but I wanted to make it clear.

I really don't think:

Pander posted:

##vote Rarity

Getting interestinger?

Was a very serious vote. Especially when it's in response to you making a joke about Poque shooting Capps.

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

yuming posted:

Well what else am I supposed to do, people want me to make a case I don't have a great read but I'm not scum.
Cmon yuming. You know the best defense is a good offense. Make some good posts on other people and you will stop getting voted because you are putting in effort. No need to freak out.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

yuming posted:

Was kinda nonsense so I wanted to know where he was going with it.

I explained it in a couple of my posts that start here. 50 holding that opinion is a null-tell in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ernie. posted:

I really don't think:

Was a very serious vote. Especially when it's in response to you making a joke about Poque shooting Capps.

I wasn't really sure cause he'd already had a go at one of my posts :shobon:

• Locked thread