Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

AYC posted:

What liberal cities do you have other than Detroit? Ann Arbor?

Basically any town with a major university in it.

Most areas of the state have a slight margin in favor of Republicans but it is disingenuous to say liberals only exist in Detroit and Ann Arbor especially when states like Oklahoma exist :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Basically any town with a major university in it.

Most areas of the state have a slight margin in favor of Republicans but it is disingenuous to say liberals only exist in Detroit and Ann Arbor especially when states like Oklahoma exist :shrug:

Yeah, the college towns are more liberal, but its still about population density.

Not making GBS threads on any liberals outside of metro Detroit, of course, you are all fighting the good fight.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Saagonsa posted:

I don't think many people would consider rural areas to not be part of modern civilization.

Sorry, I guess that was just a bit too much of a cut. Having lived in rural places in a blue state for all of my youth, I'm still a little bitter. BTW, we had neither the net or cable out there, but the former basically didn't exist when I was a kid so whatever.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Fair enough, I just generally see Michigan as skewed more in that direction because we really only have one city. Yeah, Ann Arbor and all that, but in terms of population it is mostly metro Detroit.

Maryland only has Baltimore and the DC Suburbs. The rest of the state is flyover country. Doesn't stop it from being a solidly blue state.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

MaxxBot posted:

They look even dumber now because essentially what they're saying is that they support gay rights unless a bunch of angry bigots lash out, then they'll stop.

It's because the angry bigots donate money. So they just reversed their stance because of a paycheck. Pretty deplorable.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

AYC posted:

Unfortunately we're going to have to deal with bans being stayed over and over again until the issue finally reaches the Supreme Court. On the plus side, gay marriage will likely be legal nationwide before 2020.

Gay marriage will likely be legal nationwide before the next presidential election.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Saagonsa posted:

I don't think many people would consider rural areas to not be part of modern civilization.
Joking aside, I'd say its more accurately: urban areas = blue, suburban areas = red, rural areas = decreasing political relevance.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lycus posted:

Joking aside, I'd say its more accurately: urban areas = blue, suburban areas = red, rural areas = decreasing political relevance.

At the national level, maybe. Statehouses are loving crammed with officials from rural parts. Thank them for the house of representatives being so skewed.

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

AYC posted:

Kalamazoo is pretty decent I think.

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp

VirtualStranger posted:

Gay marriage will likely be legal nationwide before the next presidential election.

I seriously doubt it. I can't imagine it making through the courts that soon.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Finnin posted:

I seriously doubt it. I can't imagine it making through the courts that soon.
There will be multiple Appeals Court rulings by the end of this year and there's no reason for SCOTUS to wait. If they don't like the cases that are fartherest along, they can pick one from a lower court like Windsor.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

There will be multiple Appeals Court rulings by the end of this year and there's no reason for SCOTUS to wait. If they don't like the cases that are fartherest along, they can pick one from a lower court like Windsor.

I think Windsor made it very clear they want to avoid addressing gay marriage on a national level. It'd take a conveniently timed heart attack from a conservative justice.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Kennedy is a reliable fifth vote and has built the entire foundation for a national marriage ruling. He wanted to decide the Prop 8 case on the merits instead of bouncing it. Even if he did want to wait, the four liberals can vote to take a case and speed things up. He's not going to side with the right and go back on 18 years of work.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If anything, Windsor was just them saying they wanted to wait to make a decision. Now's the point of no return, every place that doesn't have a ban has or will have it, and the only thing that could change that is a court ruling. It will be decided by 2020 at the absolute latest, and it will likely be before our next president takes office.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
There are currently 6 states where court rulings have been stayed pending appeal, and there will be many more by the end of this year. I really doubt that the SCOTUS will just ignore that many appeals. When every circuit court in the country is asking them to rule on the same issue, do you really think they'll just ignore it?

Chaos Sonic
Apr 5, 2007

AYC posted:

Yes. Washtenaw County in general is pretty drat liberal. Speaking as someone living there, at least. :v:

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

rkajdi posted:

Maryland only has Baltimore and the DC Suburbs. The rest of the state is flyover country. Doesn't stop it from being a solidly blue state.

If you mean "solidly blue" as in "the flyover parts vote blue as well" then no that's not true, the only state I've ever heard of anything like that happening is Vermont maybe?

But I don't think that's what you meant; anyway Maryland is a tiny state and Baltimore to the edge of DC and everything in between is a a significant chunk of the entire state and I believe contains well over half the population. That's not even factoring in the smallish cities on the outside of the I-95 corridor like Annapolis and Frederick that are also fairly reliably blue, as well. I guess the only point I'm trying to make is you can't really point to Maryland and say "See that's a really blue state that only has one-ish big city." That's like pointing to Rhode Island and saying that, neither of the states are even big enough to support another metro area the size of the one already there...

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...b816_story.html

AG Holder just announced that the federal government will recognize the Michigan same sex marriages, despite Michigan not recognizing them at the state level. Same as with the marriages in Utah.

I'm no lawyer: is what happened in Michigan and Utah a legal mistake or not? Typically, I notice that when laws are overturned, the ruling is immediately stayed pending appeal. Why did that not happen in those states? I think I remember reading something a few months ago about Utah simply forgetting some basic legal motion, but I can't find anything about what happened in Michigan.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The judge presiding over the case doesn't have to stay his or her ruling if he or she doesn't believe the loser has a reasonable chance of winning on appeal. I think that's what happened in Michigan, though I could be wrong.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Sweeney Tom posted:

If anything, Windsor was just them saying they wanted to wait to make a decision. Now's the point of no return, every place that doesn't have a ban has or will have it, and the only thing that could change that is a court ruling. It will be decided by 2020 at the absolute latest, and it will likely be before our next president takes office.

Don't we have a case at a circuit court yet to be finished this year and off to SCOTUS next year? There's so many I figured one would have made it that far by now.

Edit: 4th circuit hears Virginia's case in May.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 28, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CaptBushido posted:

If you mean "solidly blue" as in "the flyover parts vote blue as well" then no that's not true, the only state I've ever heard of anything like that happening is Vermont maybe?

But I don't think that's what you meant; anyway Maryland is a tiny state and Baltimore to the edge of DC and everything in between is a a significant chunk of the entire state and I believe contains well over half the population. That's not even factoring in the smallish cities on the outside of the I-95 corridor like Annapolis and Frederick that are also fairly reliably blue, as well. I guess the only point I'm trying to make is you can't really point to Maryland and say "See that's a really blue state that only has one-ish big city." That's like pointing to Rhode Island and saying that, neither of the states are even big enough to support another metro area the size of the one already there...

I meant solidly blue as in both senators and all but one rep are Democrats, plus the state has always gone blue presidentially since I was a kid (1984, what the hell were we thinking?). Also, I have to laugh at people calling Frederick blue. Hagerstown trended more blue last time in the representitives race, while managing to push a bunch of the supposedly racists elements in the north end of the county (Thurmont, Cascade) into a different district. If you can't get your voters out to beat down a Moonie loon in the election, that's not that reliably blue. Flyover parts of all states are a mess.

My point was that every state gets sketchy when you get away form the urban areas and start dealing with "independent-minded" people. Blue states just have the population in urban areas to outvote those people and tell them to gently caress off.

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!

rkajdi posted:

My point was that every state gets sketchy when you get away form the urban areas and start dealing with "independent-minded" people. Blue states just have the population in urban areas to outvote those people and tell them to gently caress off.
That's really not true, I can use my home state of Massachusetts as an example. The rural areas in Western MA are deep blue but some of our mill cities, Lowell, Fall River, etc can end up swinging one way or another. Backing Scott Brown in one election then voting against him in another. These aren't small cities either, places like Lowell have a population of 100k people. It's a mistake to lump urban as automatically blue and rural as automatically red since that isn't always the case.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zoran posted:

The judge presiding over the case doesn't have to stay his or her ruling if he or she doesn't believe the loser has a reasonable chance of winning on appeal. I think that's what happened in Michigan, though I could be wrong.

This is correct and one of the circuit justices dissented on the stay as well stating that the supreme court's ruling for the Utah case didn't actually present a salient test and wasn't binding for this situation.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

AYC posted:

I think Windsor made it very clear they want to avoid addressing gay marriage on a national level. It'd take a conveniently timed heart attack from a conservative justice.

I thought the only reason they bounced the issue with Windsor is because they really didn't want the standing issue become precedent.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hangedman1984 posted:

I thought the only reason they bounced the issue with Windsor is because they really didn't want the standing issue become precedent.

We can't know for sure. But Kennedy openly said at oral arguments he thought maybe they'd been too hasty in taking the Prop 8 case and should dismiss it as 'improvidently granted' (i.e. "we shouldn't have granted cert, pretend we didn't, the lower court ruling stands but with no precedential value outside the circuit") and wait a year or two.

He then voted to hear the merits instead of dismissing it on standing though, so who knows. I think that overall the nation will be better off with this year of everyone ruling the same way so that the Supreme Court confirms the victory with a capstone opinion instead of leading the way, but obviously it's not me who's rights are being held in abeyance for a year so it's easy for me to say that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

How does Kennedy justify saying they should DIG the case and then voting to reach the merits? Or does he mean "maybe it was improvidently granted but I'm not gonna say so explicitly"?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

People who don't live in a hip city center = sketchy :rolleye:

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

People who don't live in a hip city center = sketchy :rolleye:

because when I think "hip city center" I think "Detroit".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kem Rixen posted:

That's really not true, I can use my home state of Massachusetts as an example. The rural areas in Western MA are deep blue but some of our mill cities, Lowell, Fall River, etc can end up swinging one way or another. Backing Scott Brown in one election then voting against him in another. These aren't small cities either, places like Lowell have a population of 100k people. It's a mistake to lump urban as automatically blue and rural as automatically red since that isn't always the case.

Massachusetts is one of like three states where a majority of white men voted for Obama. It's not a typical place.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Midnight tonight (GMT) things are officially a-go in England and Wales.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Alchenar posted:

Midnight tonight (GMT) things are officially a-go in England and Wales.

Britannia may rule the waves, but sea to shining sea means America.
(Congratulations on achieving more equality. Hopefully we colonists can stop being an embarrassment soon. :shobon:)

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

Britannia may rule the waves, but sea to shining sea means America.
(Congratulations on achieving more equality. Hopefully we colonists can stop being an embarrassment soon. :shobon:)

Whats that quote about America always doing the right thing...after exhausting all other options?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

hangedman1984 posted:

Whats that quote about America always doing the right thing...after exhausting all other options?

"you can count on Americans to do the right thing - after they have tried everything else" - Winston Churchill

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Bill Schuette does something right.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

10th Circuit will hear the OK case April 17, and the UT case Apr 10. Judges are Kelly Jr (appointed by Bush Sr), Lucero (Clinton), and Holmes (Bush Jr).

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
In an issue that just won't die, a bible-belt state's House and Senate actually PASSED an Arizona style segregation bill, and who's governor is likely to sign it. Betcha you'll never guess which!

quote:

After simultaneous debate in both chambers of the Mississippi Legislature Tuesday, state lawmakers approved a religious freedom bill that some have argued could lead to discrimination against LGBT people and others.

First in the House, the bill passed 79-43, and later, Senate lawmakers approved the bill with a wide majority. Gov. Phil Bryant is expected to sign the bill into law.

As it is written, Senate Bill 2681 — or the Mississippi Religious Freedom Restoration Act — largely mirrors the 1993 federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act and other bills passed in 18 states that mirror the federal law, except for language that prevents employees of private businesses from raising legal claims against those employees under the bill. Proponent lawmakers say the bill will protect state citizens’ free exercise of religion from government intrusion, while some lawmakers in both chambers questioned whether it would have unintended consequences — including permitting discrimination.

Several lawmakers questioned the bill’s sponsoring lawmakers in both chambers.

After repeated questions by his colleagues about possible consequences of the bill and what exactly it intends to do, Rep. Joey Hood, sounding frustrated, said, “What we’re trying to do, gentlemen, is just protect the religious freedom of Mississippians.”

During the Senate debate, Sen. Derrick Simmons, a Democrat who has been outspoken in his opposition to the legislation, urged his colleagues to vote no, saying, “I urge you not to legalize discrimination in the State of Mississippi.”

“I believe certainly by the way that this bill is drafted that it will allow discrimination in Mississippi,” Simmons said. “There is nothing in the proposed legislation that prohibits that.”

In a somewhat heated exchange, Sen. Gary Jackson asked Simmons to point to a section of the bill that would open the door to discrimination. Simmons said he couldn’t, but repeated that there’s no language in the bill that would prohibit discrimination.

Another democratic senator, David Blount, said, “There are potentially huge economic effects to passing this bill and the reputation of Mississippi in this country,” likely referring to the firestorm of opposition that arose over “religious freedom” legislation vetoed by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer Feb. 26.

But later in the debate, Sen. Phillip Gandy, the principal author of the bill, said the bill has none of the language found in the Arizona bill, and further unlike Arizona, the bill isn’t opposed by big business groups in the state. “The Mississippi Economic Council has no problem with this bill, the business community,” Gandy said. The MEC previously opposed the bill before recent revisions to its language.

Since the Mississippi bill was introduced in January, LGBT and civil rights activists have loudly expressed concerns the law could lead to people discriminating against others based on their religious beliefs.

“Senate Bill 2681 would promote discrimination against the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) individuals and families in Mississippi,” the Rev. Jasmine Beach-Ferrara, executive director of the Campaign for Southern Equality, said in a statement Tuesday morning. “As a minister, it’s clear that this extreme bill is about legalizing discrimination, not protecting religious freedom. Furthermore the broad implications of this bill could result in discrimination aimed toward many communities.”

The approved bill, the latest of a series of versions over the last three months, emerged from a small committee of House and Senate lawmakers just minutes before a Monday night deadline, surprising some who thought it was stalled for this session.

Just last month, the House approved a drastically amended version of the bill that removed most of its language and simply called for a study committee on how to proceed with the matter. The Senate, however, rejected the amended version and instead moved for the two chambers to conference on the bill. That conference committee drafted the latest version.

“Even though the Mississippi legislature removed some of the egregious language from Arizona’s infamous SB 1062, we are disappointed that it passed this unnecessary law and ignored the national, public outcry against laws of this nature,” said Eunice Rho, advocacy and policy counsel with the ACLU.

In addition to provisions for religious protections, the bill calls for the addition of “In God We Trust” to the state’s seal, a change personally proposed by Gov. Bryant.

Pending Bryant’s signature, the law takes effect July 1, according to the bill’s language.

Messages were left at Bryant’s office seeking comment and exact plans for the bill.

The ACLU reacts:

quote:

The law could allow individuals and businesses to bring challenges against what they view as substantial government burdens against religion, including challenging existing nondiscrimination laws. Legislatures across the country, including in Georgia, Idaho, Maine, and Ohio, have rejected similar measures. On February 26, 2014, Governor Jan Brewer vetoed Arizona’s version. Bills are still pending in Missouri and Oklahoma. “Even though the Mississippi legislature removed some of the egregious language from Arizona’s infamous SB 1062, we are disappointed that it passed this unnecessary law and ignored the national, public outcry against laws of this nature,” said Eunice Rho, advocacy and policy counsel with the ACLU. “We will continue to fight in state legislatures across the country to ensure that religious freedom remains a shield, not a sword.”

And the Human Rights Campaign:

quote:

While efforts had previously been made to allay concerns about the scope and breadth of the legislation, the version passed tonight is far-reaching and should be vetoed by the governor. Human Rights Campaign (HRC) State Legislative Director Sarah Warbelow issued the following statement: “While there were many efforts to correct the clearly problematic elements of this legislation, the bill still has the effect of making LGBT people strangers to the law. Before Mississippi has had the opportunity to robustly discuss the lived experiences of LGBT people, this bill would hollow out any non-discrimination protections at the local level or possible future state-wide protections. Just as we’ve seen in other states, this bill is bad for business, bad for the state’s reputation, and most of all, bad for Mississippians. Governor Bryant must veto the measure.”

The state GOP will cry left and right to tell you that it's totally not meant to target the faggots gay indivduals, but a local Christian group called out their bullshit: "The Christian Action Commission will work diligently to ensure the blame will be laid at the feet of these 20 alleged Republicans. Approximately 60,000 Baptist households will read about it and know the truth. Our state passed the Defense of Marriage Act by the widest margin of any state."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvcNZ-KOEcg

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

As much as I hate my home state of Georgia sometimes, at least I can say we're not Mississippi.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hangedman1984 posted:

at least we're not Mississippi.

That's pretty catchy, you should get in touch with the state tourism department.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Let's spell Mississippi! M-O-T-H-E-R-F-U-C-K-E-R-S

I had no idea that the bill was even introduced in Mississippi. Hopefully it fails miserably and is made an example of, but I worry that it will embolden other states to follow suit if it passes successfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Let's spell Mississippi! M-O-T-H-E-R-F-U-C-K-E-R-S

I had no idea that the bill was even introduced in Mississippi. Hopefully it fails miserably and is made an example of, but I worry that it will embolden other states to follow suit if it passes successfully.

Eagerly awaiting the first 'No Baptists' signs.

• Locked thread