Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

serious gaylord posted:

https://alttour.ef.com/

3424 miles in 18 days.
219262ft of ascent.

On his own. While carrying a tent. Most of it in sandals with carbon fiber inserts.

https://twitter.com/Lidudumalingani/status/1415193071860469762

Man is unreal.

What the gently caress. That's incredible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I know everyone hates the Vegan cyclist, but another episode of pro mountain biker Jeremiah Bishop's Impossible Route, Trans-Appalachia Lost Roads, is coming out soon. It starts in Parkersburg, WV, and goes all the way to Richmond. I'm looking forward to it myself since it features a lot of home roads for those of us living in Central Virginia near the Blue Ridge. It even overlaps a bit with the 1992 Tour Dupont. Bishop previews it at about 4 minutes into this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Kb3st2jWo (which is a great preview of mountain biking in the George Washington National Forest on the VA/WV border)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

serious gaylord posted:

https://alttour.ef.com/

3424 miles in 18 days.
219262ft of ascent.

On his own. While carrying a tent. Most of it in sandals with carbon fiber inserts.

https://twitter.com/Lidudumalingani/status/1415193071860469762

Man is unreal.
He's my hero

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

SimonSays posted:

Retro Directe drive! Pedal backward to use your climbing gear, pedal forward to use your regular gear.

:eyepop:

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
i’ve noticed my giant contend can feel a little wobbly when maneuvering at high speeds. I guess more from the back end. Anything I should try to adjust? is this just part of an aluminum frame?

When I try to wiggle poo poo it feels secure

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What sort of speeds are we talking?

Descending or on the flat?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Head Bee Guy posted:

i’ve noticed my giant contend can feel a little wobbly when maneuvering at high speeds. I guess more from the back end. Anything I should try to adjust? is this just part of an aluminum frame?

When I try to wiggle poo poo it feels secure

I have ridden with ~.4mm play in both a rear hub and a front hub with no ill effects on handling. This was definitely noticeable when tugging side-to-side on the wheel...it just doesn't matter that much when you're moving other than the risk of accelerated wear between two bits that aren't supposed to slide.

Have you owned other road bikes before? In middle-to-large sizes, the Contends share a 72.5deg HTA, 412mm chainstays, 57mm trail. This is more aggressive than your typical endurance bike geometry, it's borderline race geometry.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

What sort of speeds are we talking?

Descending or on the flat?

i usually notice it on descents, but occasionally on the flats.

I don’t have a power meter or a good point of reference, but i’d reckon at 25ish mph?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
it doesn't only happen when freewheeling does it?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A quiet sort of vibrating sort of sound like “cruuut cruuut cruuut” could be disk brakes rubbing on something?

I’m notorious for not knowing which end the odd noise is coming from.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

learnincurve posted:

A quiet sort of vibrating sort of sound like “cruuut cruuut cruuut” could be disk brakes rubbing on something?

The above discussion is about a bike feeling unstable, not making noise

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Lex Neville posted:

it doesn't only happen when freewheeling does it?

Hmm, come to think of it, I reckon that is the case yeah.

i think the best way i can describe the feeling is kind of a rubber pencil thing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Time posted:

The above discussion is about a bike feeling unstable, not making noise

I’m asking a question about the mystery noise my commuter MTB is making :) . I’ve eliminated the headset, it has hydraulic brakes, and the bike is brand new

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I recently had a loaner back wheel that started squealing (and felt shaky) when freewheeling at similar speeds, so primarily on descents. If I understood correctly, it had to do with the bushings in the freehub body of the mavic wheel I had needing grease. So some grease helped alleviate it, but at around 600 km the noise returned

The mavic death squeal, is what the internet apparently called that. Maybe you're experiencing something similar, possibly in an earlier stage than in my case? Hope this helps somehow, do note that I'm no expert :)

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 15, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ahhh thank you I don’t know if that was my problem or the other persons but googling what you said about the wheel sent me to a place that said that it says in the fine print that by default you need to adjust the wheel bearings on new mavic wheels with quick release, which I haven’t done so hopefully it’s that.

Edit: it would be absolutely astonishing if we both have the same problem after all.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
my post was in response to Head Bee Guy's question, haha. hope it helps for you too though!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

learnincurve posted:

If the sound is very steady as the wheel is turning, it could be brake rub. If you have a stand, you should easily be able to recreate the sound and figure out if it's the front or the back. Brand new pads and rotors can be difficult to adjust sometimes because the gap between the rotors and pads is very small. If you look and can see the pad is rubbing in a certain spot (and the rotor is straight) you can try centering the caliper to get rid of it. If this doesn't seem to work, I'd recommend just making sure the gap at the top and the bottom of the rotor is mostly the same, go riding and burn down the pads some, then try to center again.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Lex Neville posted:

I recently had a loaner back wheel that started squealing (and felt shaky) when freewheeling at similar speeds, so primarily on descents. If I understood correctly, it had to do with the bushings in the freehub body of the mavic wheel I had needing grease. So some grease helped alleviate it, but at around 600 km the noise returned

The mavic death squeal, is what the internet apparently called that. Maybe you're experiencing something similar, possibly in an earlier stage than in my case? Hope this helps somehow, do note that I'm no expert :)

lol this is getting confusing

I haven’t noticed any noise. Are there any other parts I should inspect?

I’m not so sure it’s speed wobble, because it doesn’t really build on itself. It lasts for about a second or less, and just feels kinda rubbery.

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 15, 2021

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

I know you said rear, but is your headset preloaded correctly? If you hold the top tube and the stem in separate hands and try to tweak them, is there any play?

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nothing is stopping you from getting the knee extension you prefer. It’s just a minor tweak in saddle position.

I guess I meant to say sometimes I feel like I need to bend my knee to a certain angle too, not just extend.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

poo poo, I'm sorry. It's just that the speed threshold you mentioned sounded familiar and then you said it mostly happens while freewheeling... there definitely was noise in my case, for what it's worth

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

vikingstrike posted:

If the sound is very steady as the wheel is turning, it could be brake rub. If you have a stand, you should easily be able to recreate the sound and figure out if it's the front or the back. Brand new pads and rotors can be difficult to adjust sometimes because the gap between the rotors and pads is very small. If you look and can see the pad is rubbing in a certain spot (and the rotor is straight) you can try centering the caliper to get rid of it. If this doesn't seem to work, I'd recommend just making sure the gap at the top and the bottom of the rotor is mostly the same, go riding and burn down the pads some, then try to center again.

Thank you :) this is my first bike with disk brakes so it’s like starting again.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

learnincurve posted:

Thank you :) this is my first bike with disk brakes so it’s like starting again.

I love discs but they are a bit more effort to work on. Thankfully, once you maintain them for a bit you learn the system and its easy to troubleshoot with patience. As with most bike things these days there are lots of really good YouTube videos that help.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Head Bee Guy posted:

i think the best way i can describe the feeling is kind of a rubber pencil thing.

Is your wheel true? Is your tire true? I mean it's probably neither since it only occurs briefly, but we're outta ideas.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Hmm 8/10 psi I think maybe I should pump my tires. Followed by me losing both the valve caps to a gravel driveway.

I found them. I already got my blue ones though which are cooler so I'm going to stick with them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Head Bee Guy posted:

Could it be a subtle death wobble and it feels like it’s coming from the rear?

https://youtu.be/VfngbsIUSj8

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mystery cruuunk cruuunk sounds located, it was a combination of:

Brakes been slightly out; followed YouTube instructions and fixed. That was the hideous squeaky note.

It’s an eMTB and the kickstand was rubbing on the tyre bumps which is why it was intermittent. If I pull it to the side when I put it up it stops but I may have to take it off or try to permanently bend it out of shape.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

I posted a few months back about thinking about getting one of the Trek hybrid bikes for primarily paved bike path riding with the occasional gravel/dirt path, ideally I was looking at the Trek Dual Sport version but never could find one in stock at my local Bike Barn shop. Anyways they have a Marlin 6 in stock that looks pretty nice, is about 100 more than what I was looking to spend on the Dual Sport 2, but I guess my question is if people have similar bikes and ride on a similar situation, how do they feel? I also think the shop has a Dual Sport 1 in for like 500-600, and the Marlin 6 is 750ish

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Marlin is geared fairly low, on account of its slower tires. Dependng on how fit you are, you might miss having a bigger chainring, but on the flip side, it'll get up steep hills with less mashing on the pedals.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

kimbo305 posted:

The Marlin is geared fairly low, on account of its slower tires. Dependng on how fit you are, you might miss having a bigger chainring, but on the flip side, it'll get up steep hills with less mashing on the pedals.

Im not really all that fit, lost about 60 lbs and this is more for exercise along bike paths than it is about mountain biking or uphill. I live in Houston so its basically flat anywhere I'd be going. Sounds like the Dual Sport would probably be a better option to go with? I'd save money and have more gears to go through I imagine.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
At those ranges, having lower gear is mostly about how fast do you want to pedal downhill.
If you just coast above 40km/h it will be okay.
Same with road bikes, few people bother to pedal after 60km/h it’s already well into scary territory.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

iroguebot posted:

Im not really all that fit, lost about 60 lbs and this is more for exercise along bike paths than it is about mountain biking or uphill. I live in Houston so its basically flat anywhere I'd be going. Sounds like the Dual Sport would probably be a better option to go with? I'd save money and have more gears to go through I imagine.

I think you'd be fine with the Marlin, but might find it a bit slow on asphalt with the stock tires.
Pedaling at a mild pace (1 revolution per second) in top gear would get you 16mph, which is a brisk but not fast pace.
Pedaling at 90rpm would get you 24mph, which is plenty in most cases, not to mention a big chore on those tires.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

kimbo305 posted:

I think you'd be fine with the Marlin, but might find it a bit slow on asphalt with the stock tires.
Pedaling at a mild pace (1 revolution per second) in top gear would get you 16mph, which is a brisk but not fast pace.
Pedaling at 90rpm would get you 24mph, which is plenty in most cases, not to mention a big chore on those tires.

So I guess to be a bit more forward Im currently riding a lovely Walmart Roadmaster bike I bought for 100 bucks and have been wanting something 'real' for awhile now. According to fitbit I ride about 10-12 mph already, on the roadmaster gears im usually riding on 3 or 4 speed.

hraringly bloingler
Feb 22, 2005

iroguebot posted:

What size do you need again? Bike Barn has the FX1 disc around that price which has I’d take over the Dual Sport if you’re just riding bike trails.

Or the Scott Metrix which looks great, although it’s a bit more.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Dual sport is built to do the type of riding you talk about. Paved paths and light trails. Marlin can do it too but it’s wider tires are for heavier trails and its easier gearing is for steeper inclines that you might see while on a proper mountain bike trail. I have a Marlin 7 and the 1x10 drivetrain on it (similar to the current Marlin 6) is painfully slow if you’re on pavement trying to go somewhere. The dual sport’s 3x7 drivetrain has easy gears for normal climbing and bigger gears for riding on pavement at speed. I would get the dual sport, or one of the fx bikes (difference from the dual sport seems to be they have a rigid fork).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

learnincurve posted:

Mystery cruuunk cruuunk sounds located, it was a combination of:

Brakes been slightly out; followed YouTube instructions and fixed. That was the hideous squeaky note.

It’s an eMTB and the kickstand was rubbing on the tyre bumps which is why it was intermittent. If I pull it to the side when I put it up it stops but I may have to take it off or try to permanently bend it out of shape.

kickstand?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bilirubin posted:

kickstand?

Lol yeh I know. The rear rack is now back on mini’s bike while I await Amazon bringing me a proper one today

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
42 miles in 2:30 yesterday, which is the longest ride I can reasonably do with my current time constraints (work at 9:30am) and without doing advanced route planning. Beat my budgeted time of 2:45 and I'm quite happy about that. The dedicated trail I frequent is under construction at the 21 mile mark so now it's either work on going faster (faster is always better) or find a longer route.

The Juvenile Diabetes Care Alliance is going a 250 miles in July challenge that I'm working towards, and I'm over halfway there for the month. Happy about that too.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I rode a road bike for the first time since my crash today.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I rode a road bike for the first time since my crash today.

good poo poo (presumably)! how was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lex Neville posted:

good poo poo (presumably)! how was it?

I had a guy pull out on me at a roundabout so pretty normal for commuting.