Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Soooooo...

In addition to Xenoverse, seems there's a new 3DS Dragon Ball game coming.

Looks like it's pulling a Jump Super/Ultimate Stars. Roster already looks pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I like that Yamcha is down there in the assists with Dende, Bulma, and Hercule. He's not a fighter but he can dang sure support one!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Chichi's Support attacking is yelling about where Gohan is because of course it is.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I wonder if this is going to get brought to the U.S.? I'd certainly like to play it. It's a sequel/same series as Supersonic Warriors on the DS which had all those cool fusion supers, right? Also the location based supers are a neat idea.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Webbeh posted:

The guy drawing the manga for the movie is...

he's also the writer/artist of the Dragonball Heroes manga and pretty much Toei's Dragonball continuity guy

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Darko posted:

You need special ki attacks that take years and years to develop to do something like that. Every ki attack is not the same thing.

Roshi could do it (the moon, at least) because he created a ki attack that rose his power level to ridiculous amounts (and then drained him completely), and said ki attack had drilling AND explosive properties to it that made it good for detonating stuff.

Goku learned it (and Cell via Goku). Piccolo had something kind of similar, because he's Piccolo. Vegeta, who was the number one fighting guy left on his planet, developed something that worked similarly. Freeza made up a couple of explosive attacks, one that didn't work all that well in detonating the core since he didn't control his power very well (or he just wanted to fight Goku for a while). Buu had a ton of explosivo attacks.

Besides them, and others that used those same attacks, not many developed world blowing up type attacks. They just shot out random ki attacks that were probably equal to their power level because they were crap with ki. As stated earlier, that was kind of what half the point of power levels were - to show you why the heroes had a chance against "stronger" people due to having much better ki control, or powering up ridiculously when angry.

It always seemed to me that the type of ki manipulation the earthlings used were derived from the Namekian school - things like attacks that boost your power level temporarily, power suppression without the use of transformations, and ki sensing are virtually unknown outside of those two places, and probably only exist on Earth due to Kami bringing them over.

This also highlights how much of a genius Vegeta was - he thought the Galick Gun (which is pretty much a reskinned Kamehameha) was a unique thing he came up with himself until he saw all the earthlings using his "secret" technique like it was nothing. He as the only one in Freeza's army who wasn't fooled by their ki manipulation because he was no stranger to it himself. This also explains why he was able to pick up ki sensing so easily. This means he pretty much came up with the exact same type of advanced ki techniques unique to Namek/Earth independently prior to any contact with Earthlings/Namekians, something nobody else in Freeza's army managed.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

it makes sense that being brought back to life would give him back his normal body. It's effectively a brand new one, after all.

But, but his 4th form is actually original and also :spergin:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Made an effort post thread in games for XV: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701823&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post441762264

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

mmkay posted:

Even with Kaioken he lost against Vegeta pretty badly, so he was the strongest from around mid-Namek saga (when he was training) until the Androids show up. Then he's surpassed by SSJ Vegeta, USSJ Vegeta and Gohan. Then he's the strongest for a short amount of time when he's back on Earth with his SSJ3 form, only to be surpassed again by Gohan.

This is frequently forgotten and is part of why Vegeta's need to FINALLY DEFEAT KAKKAROT is the funniest thing to me. Dude, you already did that. You rather decisively and unambiguously handed him his rear end on Earth. It took literally everyone on Earth to fight you to a draw.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is frequently forgotten and is part of why Vegeta's need to FINALLY DEFEAT KAKKAROT is the funniest thing to me. Dude, you already did that. You rather decisively and unambiguously handed him his rear end on Earth. It took literally everyone on Earth to fight you to a draw.

I stopped liking Vegeta as a character in the cell arc. He was much better as the scrappy underdog in the Freeza arc - one man going rogue against an army full of guys he knows might outclass him. Yeah, he's arrogant on earth, but he kind of is right to be seeing as he almost took everyone out. I guess becoming a super saiyan really went to his head or something.

I blame Toriyama since I bet by the time he was doing the cell story he couldn't even remember what the hell even happened on Namek.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

He was pissed because he had to go ape to win. Goku beat him in the beam battle, and he felt he had to "cheat" to win from that point on and hated it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Darko posted:

He was pissed because he had to go ape to win. Goku beat him in the beam battle, and he felt he had to "cheat" to win from that point on and hated it.

Vegeta didn't know that Goku was overclocking his body to keep up with him. Frankly if Vegeta had just kept fighting it's far more likely Goku would have keeled over first.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zonekeeper posted:

It always seemed to me that the type of ki manipulation the earthlings used were derived from the Namekian school - things like attacks that boost your power level temporarily, power suppression without the use of transformations, and ki sensing are virtually unknown outside of those two places, and probably only exist on Earth due to Kami bringing them over.
This makes a lot of sense, since while Goku was throwing around tons of Kamehamehas, it wasn't until he drank the Super Holy Water and trained with Kami that he learned to sense and suppress Ki.

quote:

This also highlights how much of a genius Vegeta was - he thought the Galick Gun (which is pretty much a reskinned Kamehameha) was a unique thing he came up with himself until he saw all the earthlings using his "secret" technique like it was nothing. He as the only one in Freeza's army who wasn't fooled by their ki manipulation because he was no stranger to it himself. This also explains why he was able to pick up ki sensing so easily. This means he pretty much came up with the exact same type of advanced ki techniques unique to Namek/Earth independently prior to any contact with Earthlings/Namekians, something nobody else in Freeza's army managed.
He was a stranger to ki manipulation, he just calculated for it because Raditz got destroyed by two people who shouldn't have been able to touch him. Ki sensing was also new to him, but yeah, he basically taught it to himself.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
A couple pages back, but I feel like if Frieza uses 'strong enough to beat Majin Buu' as his benchmark he's gonna have an unpleasant surprise.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

He was a stranger to ki manipulation, he just calculated for it because Raditz got destroyed by two people who shouldn't have been able to touch him. Ki sensing was also new to him, but yeah, he basically taught it to himself.

Honestly, even if he did figure out how to suppress his power when he learned to sense ki he's not exactly the type that would hide it. :v: (See: the punching machine in the pre-Buu world tournament.)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

A couple pages back, but I feel like if Frieza uses 'strong enough to beat Majin Buu' as his benchmark he's gonna have an unpleasant surprise.

Oh it's not that bad there are probably only like 5 or 6 beings throwing that kind of juice around! But they are all in one place, and all but a couple of them have very specific personal grudges against him.

E: for the sake of discussion I'll say I'm thinking of Gohan, Goku, Vegeta, Gotenks, Uub, and Beerus.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 19, 2015

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

it makes sense that being brought back to life would give him back his normal body. It's effectively a brand new one, after all.

Actually he's brought back to life as the pieces Trunks cut him into, his minions have to use a machine to regrow his body

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Trunks blew him u-... aw you know what, i dont care. :haw:

Horrifying image tho. :stare:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahahahahaha that's great!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Thyrork posted:

Trunks blew him u-... aw you know what, i dont care. :haw:

I think it's the idea of "that's what your body was like before it was destroyed." I guess the two must have misworded their wish or something.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Shenron is just being spiteful since he knows who Frieza is, but is obligated to fulfill the wish.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

projecthalaxy posted:

Oh it's not that bad there are probably only like 5 or 6 beings throwing that kind of juice around! But they are all in one place, and all but a couple of them have very specific personal grudges against him.

E: for the sake of discussion I'll say I'm thinking of Gohan, Goku, Vegeta, Gotenks, Uub, and Beerus.

I think Uub is still a toddler at this point. Not that that stopped Gohan I guess.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Frieza's goal in this movie should be to find a time machine so he can go get revenge on Future Trunks.

Schubalts posted:

Shenron is just being spiteful since he knows who Frieza is, but is obligated to fulfill the wish.

When you bring someone back with the Dragon Balls, their body is returned to where it was when they died(except when it isn't) and Frieza's body was in a few places when it got blown up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
And he'll have to jump through like six timelines to get to the right one.

"Excuse me strange green thing, I'm here to kill someone named Trunks."

"Sorry, just killed him."

"drat it!"

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

BlitzBlast posted:

And he'll have to jump through like six timelines to get to the right one.

"Excuse me strange green thing, I'm here to kill someone named Trunks."

"Sorry, just killed him."

"drat it!"

"You're Frieza, right?"

"...yes?"

"You're inside me right now."

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rhonne posted:

Frieza's goal in this movie should be to find a time machine so he can go get revenge on Future Trunks.

When you bring someone back with the Dragon Balls, their body is returned to where it was when they died(except when it isn't) and Frieza's body was in a few places when it got blown up.

Oh yeah wasn't this the reason why Goku couldn't be revived at Namek? (When they thought he was dead) I think King Kai said that bringing back Goku from the dead would put him back at Namek, aka no where to breathe.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, but then Vegeta immediately suggested wishing their souls return to Earth, so it was a problem solved before it ever made a difference. Krillin's body was also blown up and came back just fine, I think the dragon is just being a dick.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think the dragon just brings you back alive Goku couldn't live with a hole in his chest, so the dragon healed that, lucky for Freeza he's incredibly resilient and can live just fine in a hundred pieces.

Wait, that example doesn't work, since Goku got to keep his body, fully restored in the afterlife (and he had to run back to the check in station). Imagine I used Vegeta in that example instead.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 19, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Prison Warden posted:

I think the dragon just brings you back alive Goku couldn't live with a hole in his chest, so the dragon healed that, lucky for Freeza he's incredibly resilient and can live just fine in a hundred pieces.

Yeah he was alive until the pieces were disintegrated. This is also the reason why Cell was so durable and his regeneration much better then Piccolo's. Freeza's cells allowed him to survive pretty much any injuries and Piccolo's regeneration allowed him to regrow his body from that.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 19, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Prison Warden posted:

Hey is he like a starfish? Does that mean that he could grow a twin brother by cutting off his tail (if given enough time?)

Incidentally, cell's cell babies annoyed me for not obeying the laws of conservation of mass (nerdy, I know) but in my headcanon when cell teleported back from kaiō's planet, he used the particles from the planet and the blown up dead bodies to reform himself.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Cell absorbs a whole city and doesn't get fat so assume Cell can turn organic matter into energy. The Cell juniors are the reverse of that process.

Give me my no-prize.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Momomo posted:

Yeah, but then Vegeta immediately suggested wishing their souls return to Earth, so it was a problem solved before it ever made a difference. Krillin's body was also blown up and came back just fine, I think the dragon is just being a dick.

Porunga explicitly says he put Krillin's body and clothes back together as a bonus.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Horrible Taste posted:

Porunga explicitly says he put Krillin's body and clothes back together as a bonus.

Which means, that as stated, Shenron is just being a dick.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
How can Frieza be revived? I thought there was a rule that they had to be revived within a year of death? Also wonder if they'll remember that you get two wishes from Shenron

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ekusukariba posted:

How can Frieza be revived? I thought there was a rule that they had to be revived within a year of death? Also wonder if they'll remember that you get two wishes from Shenron

Shenron is just a dick. Thats not even a rule. Goku was revived after 14 months at King Kai's.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ekusukariba posted:

They tossed Frieza into the logarithmic time chamber. Its only been e seconds since his death.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ekusukariba posted:

To be fair, all of that was said before Dende upgraded Shenron. And they can probably upgrade as they go as well.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Ekusukariba posted:

The one year rule applies to groups of people. An individual can be wished back whenever.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shenron can wish back more than one person per wish provided that: (1) they died less than a year before the summoning, (2) died under the same circumstance (e.g. killed by a certain villain), and (3) have not already been wished back before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If Freeza is revived in several pieces, how do they make him 100% organic again?

• Locked thread