Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aquaero
Oct 29, 2011
My sister and I have been struggling to remember the name of a PC game for years now: it came on one of those shareware or demo discs, late 90s or very early 00s. I remember it having a VERY green overworld, with caves, dungeons, houses you could enter. It was a top-down Zelda-like RPG, medieval fantasy etc, and sorta Chinese in style. My sister vividly remembers a version of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" playing, likely during the intro. The first boss was a gorilla... She even recalls that in the first dungeon, there was a skeleton chained to a sword stuck in the wall. If you tried to remove it, you received dialogue saying you weren't strong enough. The main character was a young or teen (?) boy with brown hair and I think the art was pretty anime-esque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

aquaero posted:

My sister and I have been struggling to remember the name of a PC game for years now: it came on one of those shareware or demo discs, late 90s or very early 00s. I remember it having a VERY green overworld, with caves, dungeons, houses you could enter. It was a top-down Zelda-like RPG, medieval fantasy etc, and sorta Chinese in style. My sister vividly remembers a version of "In the Hall of the Mountain King" playing, likely during the intro. The first boss was a gorilla... She even recalls that in the first dungeon, there was a skeleton chained to a sword stuck in the wall. If you tried to remove it, you received dialogue saying you weren't strong enough. The main character was a young or teen (?) boy with brown hair and I think the art was pretty anime-esque.

No Mountain King, but Neophyte?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

biosterous posted:

Okay this I don't have much to go on for this one, but there was this game i played in first grade:
- might have been called something like "math maze"
- top-down
- your dude was a face with sunglasses on a possibly-green square
- there was a devil?
- you could collect gems
- there were gates you would have to solve a (very simple) math puzzle to go through. I think the gates were yellow?
- the non-traversable parts of the maze were grey clocks
- i think there were some secret passages through the grey blocks
- this was on a public school computer in the mid-90s

here is a mockup of what it looked like, based on memories from when i was like 7 years old

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

biosterous posted:

here is a mockup of what it looked like, based on memories from when i was like 7 years old

Did it look something like this?

If so, it's called Game of Robot by Tom Productions.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

No but thanks. The game was about as fancy as I drew, and the yellow gates were definitely just a yellow border between two game squares

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

biosterous posted:

Is it NumberMaze? http://worldofobscurity.blogspot.com/2015/04/numbermaze-at-last.html

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There's two games from those old shareware CDs that I've never been able to track down. These would have been Windows 3.11 compatible, since we stopped getting those discs after upgrading to Win98 .

The first one, I'm pretty sure was called Stellar Explorer, but that's so generic that I've found it almost completely unsearchable. It was a tile based sci-fi RPG, where all the characters were colored dots representing health.

The other was a point-and-click adventure game with some sort of edgy 90s title. The only scene I really remember is that you have to get past a grounds keeper, and the (or a) solution was to simply chop off his head with an axe, which I remember as being shockingly gory at the time.

If it helps, I'm 90% sure that at least one of these shared a disk with Zone66, Bandor, and Solar Winds.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Looks like the first one could be this? https://www.myabandonware.com/game/stellar-explorer-the-drosi-encounter-7qh

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

It might not be his, but it's mine at least. Thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gnoman posted:

There's two games from those old shareware CDs that I've never been able to track down. These would have been Windows 3.11 compatible, since we stopped getting those discs after upgrading to Win98 .

The first one, I'm pretty sure was called Stellar Explorer, but that's so generic that I've found it almost completely unsearchable. It was a tile based sci-fi RPG, where all the characters were colored dots representing health.

I've only asked about a few games ITT, and Stellar Explorer was one of them.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, this is a super long shot. Ancient DOS game, I think you were on a space station, it was top down, and while it wasn't ASCII, the graphics were extremely simple. You were a circle, other characters were circles, and I only remember dying really easily. I couldn't tell you if it was a roguelike or not, I just remember either getting shot with a laser from an enemy, or I think maybe running out of oxygen.

I was really young when I played it, so I'd love to try it out again. I think the name started with S, but I can't be sure.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

nope, all the walls were made of squares, not lines

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Gnoman posted:

The other was a point-and-click adventure game with some sort of edgy 90s title. The only scene I really remember is that you have to get past a grounds keeper, and the (or a) solution was to simply chop off his head with an axe, which I remember as being shockingly gory at the time.

I can't find this exact interaction, but I think this happens in Last Half of Darkness, and is at least mentioned in walkthroughs for the same. Does this look like the right game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sB_SO3QNWk

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I can't find this exact interaction, but I think this happens in Last Half of Darkness, and is at least mentioned in walkthroughs for the same. Does this look like the right game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sB_SO3QNWk

Even if it's not the right one, I had been trying to remember what this one was called anyway thanks.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Looking for an arcade game I played in the late 90s. It was a two-player air fighter combat game with a pretty decked-out seated cabinet. The unique thing about it was that it was on rails and the players traded who was shooting at who, i.e., it was fixed perspective from the back and you either were shooting or dodging.

I feel like this was a pretty common, maybe well-known game? But after desperate googling over the last few days and I got nothing.

This sounds 100% like Wing War to me.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've only asked about a few games ITT, and Stellar Explorer was one of them.

Thanks. Having the subtitle made finding it much easier.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That is it. This was the sort of title that is really hard to differentiate.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Mischievous Mink posted:

This sounds 100% like Wing War to me.

Yessssss thank you, this is 100% it! And a SEGA game too!

aquaero
Oct 29, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

No Mountain King, but Neophyte?

This is a great shout but not it, unfortunately! It looked a lot more basic than Neophyte.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

aquaero posted:

This is a great shout but not it, unfortunately! It looked a lot more basic than Neophyte.

I've gone on an insane quest to figure this out and I think I've found it. It's called Legend of Luwa, here's some gameplay footage (starts around 42:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ev5mU5LE8Q&t=2551s

Apparently it's on this shareware ISO https://archive.org/details/Sharewares_Adventure_Games_2000_-_Windows_Eng

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I've gone on an insane quest to figure this out and I think I've found it. It's called Legend of Luwa, here's some gameplay footage (starts around 42:30)

The art style is uncanny valley as hell to me for some reason.

aquaero
Oct 29, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Apparently it's on this shareware ISO https://archive.org/details/Sharewares_Adventure_Games_2000_-_Windows_Eng

Oh my GOD, that's the game. No wonder I couldn't find it during my own searches -- this is incredible. Thank you so much, this had been sitting in the back of my brain for so many years. God, and the background music from the Nutcracker... It was a lot less anime and a lot uglier than I remember, hahaha. Seriously man, thank you. I'll have to give it a play (and check out whatever else is on that shareware ISO, it'll probably open a Pandora's box of memories).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

aquaero posted:

Oh my GOD, that's the game. No wonder I couldn't find it during my own searches -- this is incredible. Thank you so much, this had been sitting in the back of my brain for so many years. God, and the background music from the Nutcracker... It was a lot less anime and a lot uglier than I remember, hahaha. Seriously man, thank you. I'll have to give it a play (and check out whatever else is on that shareware ISO, it'll probably open a Pandora's box of memories).

No problem! I found another person's journey into madness trying to figure out the same game over multiple threads on different forums lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Two games here

Game 1: First person horror game that came out within the past few years, no older than 5 or so years. Very Amnesia-like (it’s not a Frictional game) where there’s a monster and the screen warps as you get closer to it. It wasn’t early access but I distinctly remember it being only one “episode”. Had a commercial release on Steam by a larger indie company, pretty good production quality and not like a cheap asset flip or something.

You were some guy who ended up in an empty island town. You go house to house reading notes until you eventually fall into a mine where a monster that looks like a person in full mining garb (think My Bloody Valentine) stalks you. I think there’s physics so the puzzles and stuff are very Amnesia-like.

Game 2: this one is much foggier. Played it in mid-to-late 90s, Windows 98 was new and the family got a new computer with a bunch of Humongous games and various other interactive media titles like the Jump Start adventure and those Brøderbund living books series. You’re a girl with blue hair, reminded me of Coraline which is what triggered the memory. She falls into a portal to another world and has to find a way out.

It was kind of a non-interactive movie where you watch a cutscene then have to do a puzzle like a word scramble. The art style was like early Flash cartoons, flat shaded and angular like those Erin Esurance commercials.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Game 1 could possibly be The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, though the mine section is a fairly small part of the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

Game 1 could possibly be The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, though the mine section is a fairly small part of the game.

I don't know if Ethan Carter had a literal monster. I can tell you it's not Soma, Outlast, or Monstrum and it was very much in that Penumbra/Amnesia style. Unfortunately that genre was so hot between 2013-2019 that it could be one of a hundred games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

I don't know if Ethan Carter had a literal monster. I can tell you it's not Soma, Outlast, or Monstrum and it was very much in that Penumbra/Amnesia style. Unfortunately that genre was so hot between 2013-2019 that it could be one of a hundred games.
It did. Check here for images, there's a number of them on the first page of results.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

It did. Check here for images, there's a number of them on the first page of results.

Man I hated that section, I didn't expect it and it freaked me out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Not Ethan Carter. Probably need to set aside a few hours to skim horror youtubers. The game was hot for 5 minutes then vanished and nothing really stood out except it was a true Amnesia-like in a flood of Slender clones.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Is it this one? https://store.steampowered.com/app/407780/Lethe__Episode_One/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jKrIhLDaZk

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That's the one. The dev's twitter has posted like 5 times in 3 years so I think it's safe to assume Lethe has gone the way of Routine.

Now I need to figure out what Erin Esurance game is :D

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Trying to remember the name of a freeware PC Virtual On clone where the mechs were based on operating systems or something like that

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CYBEReris posted:

Trying to remember the name of a freeware PC Virtual On clone where the mechs were based on operating systems or something like that

Bootfighter Windom

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Bootfighter Windom

that's it 100%, thanks!

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
A friend had this weird, possibly incomplete PC RPG from a bargain bin 10 CD-ROM collection back in the late 90s. It had pre-rendered environments and looked like a very drab version of Myst in a fantasy setting, but it had combat with animated models of skeletons etc. The game starts out with a video panning over a cabal of evil wizards standing around a ritual circle on a small island with a giant skull built into it. They all had different themes, ie the necromancer, the water guy, etc. You then explore the island and the crypts underneath. I've looked around a couple times and it seems like it's hopelessly obscure.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Language?
What country was it bought in?
Is the game entirely in first person like Myst?
Was it Myst movement where it cross fades between scenes or grid-based like old Wizardry?
Party based or solo?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

i think of demons posted:

A friend had this weird, possibly incomplete PC RPG from a bargain bin 10 CD-ROM collection back in the late 90s. It had pre-rendered environments and looked like a very drab version of Myst in a fantasy setting, but it had combat with animated models of skeletons etc. The game starts out with a video panning over a cabal of evil wizards standing around a ritual circle on a small island with a giant skull built into it. They all had different themes, ie the necromancer, the water guy, etc. You then explore the island and the crypts underneath. I've looked around a couple times and it seems like it's hopelessly obscure.
Guessing either
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/nemesis-the-wizardry-adventure
or
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/world-of-aden-thunderscape

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

al-azad posted:

Language?
What country was it bought in?
Is the game entirely in first person like Myst?
Was it Myst movement where it cross fades between scenes or grid-based like old Wizardry?
Party based or solo?
It had an English language interface. It was purchased in the US, it was first person, had Myst-like transitions (at least in outdoor environments like the ritual circle island), and I believe it was solo.
It doesn't appear to be either of these.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Stonekeep?

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
No, it definitely started out on a tiny rocky island/ritual circle in white-gray marble and you click around to static pre-rendered shots like Myst. It's possible that the dungeons were more Wizardry-like but I don't remember.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The description of the intro is straight out of Death Gate but could also be Shannara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

al-azad posted:

The description of the intro is straight out of Death Gate but could also be Shannara.
Unfortunately not those either. It looked like it used the same rendering process as Myst. I would not be surprised if it was an unfinished game as we could not progress far before not knowing what to do next. My friend's dad bought so many of those budget CD-ROM collections and it wasn't uncommon, but usually it was obvious shovelware.