Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The intake tees off into a cylinder with a sealed speaker cone kind of deal, and there's a hose piping the sound from the other side of the cone into the cabin.

On one hand, the car certainly seems like it sounds awesome inside, but I can't help but think it's restrictive.
are any of these systems electronic, or is it more like 2 cans connected by a string.

or could I program my v10 m5 to sound like an 90s Honda with no exhaust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The M5 one is played over the speakers in the car, which is pathetic.

The BRZ is all mechanical. It's a vibrating membrane at the end of a hose.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

law abiding rapist posted:

What's wrong with just opening the window if you want to hear the engine?

I don't need my windows open to hear my supercharger screaming :buddy:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The M5 one is played over the speakers in the car, which is pathetic.

The BRZ is all mechanical. It's a vibrating membrane at the end of a hose.

At least it's on the intake so when the membrane eventually gets brittle and splits in 10 years it doesn't asphyxiate the driver.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
For some reason I keep fantasizing about the FRS...what are the chances of being able to trade in an 08 V6 mustang + some reasonable about of money and get myself one these?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

law abiding rapist posted:

What's wrong with just opening the window if you want to hear the engine?

Canada in the middle of January would like a word with you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KozmoNaut posted:

Packaging concerns, too. When you don't have to have a driveshaft from one end of the car to the other, you gain a significant amount of cabin space. Practical small cars like the Fit only work so well because of FWD.

This is a good reason to make a FWD car, and I wouldn't fault a small car for being FWD. However, when vehicles are engineered to offer an AWD option (as most SUVs and even large cars are these days), the only reason the 2WD version is FWD is because they can't be arsed to build a driveline that can handle all the power being sent to the rear wheels constantly. Further, in many such AWD systems, the car drives as FWD until a loss of traction occurs.

It really is only about cost, when you get down to it, which I suppose is a valid concern in many vehicles, but when it's a CAD$30,000 base large sedan or SUV in question, that seems to fall a little flat. On the other hand, I've completely written cars off from consideration for being FWD-only in a situation where's there's no good reason for it (which is to say, I'd consider a FWD 500 Abarth, but not a FWD Accord si).

TrueChaos: That's why cars have heaters. Cranking the heat in my Mustang after the engine warms up is enough to keep you warm with the windows all the way down until -5 or less. You can partially open the driver's side window down to about -20 without feeling particularly cold.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

"the BRZ was designed from the start with extra headroom to accommodate a roll-cage installation"

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1070072_2013-subaru-brz-pricing-info-new-details-live-photos

This + no sunroof + telescoping steering wheel= good news for tall goons.
possibly a better fit than my Legacy.

The only remaining issue is tall guy in small auto-mobile syndrome

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PT6A posted:

This is a good reason to make a FWD car, and I wouldn't fault a small car for being FWD. However, when vehicles are engineered to offer an AWD option (as most SUVs and even large cars are these days), the only reason the 2WD version is FWD is because they can't be arsed to build a driveline that can handle all the power being sent to the rear wheels constantly. Further, in many such AWD systems, the car drives as FWD until a loss of traction occurs.

It really is only about cost, when you get down to it, which I suppose is a valid concern in many vehicles, but when it's a CAD$30,000 base large sedan or SUV in question, that seems to fall a little flat. On the other hand, I've completely written cars off from consideration for being FWD-only in a situation where's there's no good reason for it (which is to say, I'd consider a FWD 500 Abarth, but not a FWD Accord si).

TrueChaos: That's why cars have heaters. Cranking the heat in my Mustang after the engine warms up is enough to keep you warm with the windows all the way down until -5 or less. You can partially open the driver's side window down to about -20 without feeling particularly cold.

it's less "couldn't be arsed to build a driveline that can handle all the power being sent to the rear wheels constantly" and more "why the gently caress would we develop a ground-up RW biased AWD platform for this vehicle when we already have a perfectly good FWD one"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The intake tees off into a cylinder with a sealed speaker cone kind of deal, and there's a hose piping the sound from the other side of the cone into the cabin.

On one hand, the car certainly seems like it sounds awesome inside, but I can't help but think it's restrictive.

From what I can tell it's kinda sorta trickle-down tech from the LFA, which is neat

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I thought all cars had the sound tube, supposed to help with audio clues when using a stick.

Personally, I don't think it's enough. I want engine exhaust pumping directly into my face. I want to taste the engine.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

From what I can tell it's kinda sorta trickle-down tech from the LFA, which is neat

It think calling it trickle down tech would be a bit generous, it's literally just baffled piece of 1/2" tube.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Muffinpox posted:

It think calling it trickle down tech would be a bit generous, it's literally just baffled piece of 1/2" tube.

The carbon fiber trim bits are also trickled down from the exotic weaving looms Toyota invented for the LFA.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Reganomics is the future of car manufacturing.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

It begins.. :ughh:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Some are gon own:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Cant stop staring at the baby Chevy bowtie on the fender.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

LSs for errbody.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
*photoshops dish on a car with subaru hubs*

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Someone's bound to shove one in there. I give it a year, tops.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'd like to see a Renesis swap, too. I wonder if the clearance would work out.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Isizzlehorn posted:

It begins.. :ughh:

cool license plate :doh:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

TOYOTA bro, Subaru makes poo poo cars and fags drive them.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Forgive the dumb question, but I see this a lot. Having never driven a RWD car for more than a brief period, is it really radically different?

You won't notice it... until you get used to it and go back to FWD. You really get used to the ability to add power in a turn without understeer. I drove my friends Civic the other morning and was driving in a completely normal manner before I started spinning the inside front tire in the rain while understeering. First words out of my mouth? "Stupid FWD."

So yeah, I'm sold on it. I'll never own another FWD car again. RWD/AWD all the way.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Blaise posted:

You won't notice it... until you get used to it and go back to FWD. You really get used to the ability to add power in a turn without understeer. I drove my friends Civic the other morning and was driving in a completely normal manner before I started spinning the inside front tire in the rain while understeering. First words out of my mouth? "Stupid FWD."

So yeah, I'm sold on it. I'll never own another FWD car again. RWD/AWD all the way.
No more Neons? :ohdear:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

at least the e39 M5 with LOL AMG and some AMG with LOL MPWR made sense. That's just loving stupid.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Hopeful stretched tires will be out-of-fashion by the time these things get cheap enough to fall into the hands of ricers.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, Ford publicized theirs in 2009. It's used in even basic cars like the Focus. Similar devices have been around way before that as well, of course, since it's literally just a tube. If anything, the Mustang one is better, because it's made so that you can remove/replace the baffle if you want more or less noise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/automobiles/01NOISE.html

It's also 1000 times better than what BMW did, which is a noisemaker. I believe the way their tech works is that a digital signal processor looks at the RPMs/ignition system and then synthesizes a noise to match the revs, with the synthesizer made to sound more aggressive when the car is set to "sport" mode.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

It's also 1000 times better than what BMW did, which is a noisemaker. I believe the way their tech works is that a digital signal processor looks at the RPMs/ignition system and then synthesizes a noise to match the revs, with the synthesizer made to sound more aggressive when the car is set to "sport" mode.

I still don't understand the hate for this. The way the BMW one works is there's a microphone on the engine, and that sound is fed into the cabin through the speakers. People keep saying that it's made up from nothing but what I've read says it's the actual sound from the engine.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

oRenj9 posted:

Hopeful stretched tires will be out-of-fashion by the time these things get cheap enough to fall into the hands of ricers.

*get* cheap enough? I think they will be cheap enough right off the bat. I am really considering one of these(as well as a 500 Abarth, despite my hatred of FWD), but I am worried it will be the new jackass tuner car, so the insurance prices will be ridiculous and I don't want to be associated with the majority of the other owners. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Stealth Like posted:

I still don't understand the hate for this. The way the BMW one works is there's a microphone on the engine, and that sound is fed into the cabin through the speakers. People keep saying that it's made up from nothing but what I've read says it's the actual sound from the engine.

No it isn't.

quote:

The Active Sound Design technology specially developed for the new BMW M5 takes its cues from the driving situation at any one time to deliver an accurate reproduction of the engine's sound through the car's audio system. The system's digital signal processing exchanges data directly with the engine management, allowing it to reflect the engine's revs and torque, and the car's speed over the road. The result over a smoothly driven journey is a discreet soundtrack in keeping with the harmonious and assured characteristics of the V8 powerplant. A stamp on the accelerator, meanwhile, prompts an immediate audible response to match the instantaneous – and typically M – burst of power from beneath the bonnet.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/23/active-sound-design-enhances-v8-burble-inside-bmw-m5/

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 6, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's specifically mentioned that BMW Active Sound Design would be used to make diesels sound like gas engines and 4 cylinders sound like 6 or 8 cylinders.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/05/24/bmw-active-sound-design/

quote:

With the use of active systems for sound design, engineers can actively shape and optimise interior sound and thus systematically influence “heard” dynamics. In order to produce the desired sound patterns, the natural sound of the engine is intelligently refined with an electro-acoustic system. A digital signal processor interactively generates additional sound components based on constantly updated driving data so that a harmonious overall impression is formed. Initial research projects have already shown how effective that is. In a MINI prototype presented in 2009, a four-cylinder engine can be made to sound like a powerful V8 engine or superior straight-six engine. Besides the fun factor presented by individualisation, Active Sound Design also has very serious applications, such as helping diesel engines attain even sportier sound characteristics.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kimbo305 posted:

I'd like to see a Renesis swap, too. I wonder if the clearance would work out.

Piece of piss, just have to handle engine mounts. But I would have to ask... why? The Renesis might be ligher than just about any other engine but the Suby motor is actually noticably lighter again and in the long run a better proposition if you want to go hog wild.

Maybe a 20B would be worth it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I like the gimmick that the way to more power is an even more torqueless engine that you have to rev higher.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Negromancer posted:

*get* cheap enough? I think they will be cheap enough right off the bat. I am really considering one of these(as well as a 500 Abarth, despite my hatred of FWD), but I am worried it will be the new jackass tuner car, so the insurance prices will be ridiculous and I don't want to be associated with the majority of the other owners. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Even off the bat, I think most on-the-cheap ricers will wait a few years before getting one. The current rumor mill seems to settle the BRZ/GT 86 at about $25k USD, which would make the FR-S somewhere around $22k. That's not just bull, that's from the reps at Subaru ballparking the BRZ's price and expecting the Scion to be several thousand cheaper because of the lack of various bits, like HID headlights, dual zone climate control, push button start, etc.

Honestly, after thinking about it for a bit, I prefer the Scion approach. Hate the modern climate controls, HID's are obnoxious as gently caress, push button start is a convenience factor that I don't think much of us give a poo poo about. If I get to save several thou by not paying for that crap, count me in. Also, kudos for Toyota actually thinking about that for an entry level Scion.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Ahh, the article I had read made it sound the other way.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Isizzlehorn posted:

Hate the modern climate controls, HID's are obnoxious as gently caress, push button start is a convenience factor that I don't think much of us give a poo poo about. If I get to save several thou by not paying for that crap, count me in. Also, kudos for Toyota actually thinking about that for an entry level Scion.

I suppose ~hardcore~ people like you need ~hardcore~ HVAC controls that you have to constantly be adjusting to feel appropriately ~hardcore~

Also what do you mean HIDs are obnoxious these are nice OEM HIDs that we're talking about not lovely aftermarket purple crap :psyduck:

Push button start is useless though

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Some of the most painful offenders are new cars coming out with RetiLaser(tm) brand eye cannons. I shouldn't be able to see a perfect silhouette of myself cast on the car in front of me by the new Audi/Infiniti/Lexus/whathaveyou sitting behind me.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

PT6A posted:

I'd prefer not to have the window open and heat blasting, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Right, the correct way is roof down and heat blasting :smug:

• Locked thread