Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man, I still love the over-dramatic tone of these stupid games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00efdE5CD7A

"What if one day, the coin lands on it's edge?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol you tell those progressives you just made up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah lovely video game tie-ins have always been a thing

The ET Atari game was perhaps the pinnacle of low effort shoddy tie-ins but clearly no lessons were learned during that debacle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_based_on_films

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 15, 2018

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I remember being so disappointed withthe pagemaster SNES game that it finally made me realize movie tie-in games were untrustworthy. 1994. I was five. I figured it out at five years old. I started asking family to stop buying movie tie in games at christmas. I'd rather have another sweater.

who really seeks out those tie-in products other than people who dont play games buying for people who do?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah lovely video game tie-ins have always been a thing

The ET Atari game was perhaps the pinnacle of low effort shoddy tie-ins but clearly no lessons were learned during that debacle

What in the world do you do in the Porky's game? Or Little Nicky?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I should have said "Yeah lovely game tie-ins have always been a thing" rather than specifying just video games because in the old old days we had to make do with tie-in board games

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Tie in board games are still a thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I should have said "Yeah lovely game tie-ins have always been a thing" rather than specifying just video games because in the old old days we had to make do with tie-in board games

Tell me of the waters of your homeworld Usul.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh man there were so many weird movie tie-in board games.

They go back to at least the 1930s

Neo Rasa posted:

And even in recent times with huge budgets, you'll still get cases where a publisher will take a game and then just slap a move license on it. An infamous example is Sea Dogs 2 becoming Pirates of the Caribbean, or Shadow of Mordor and its nemesis system beginning life as a Dark Knight video game that got canned once Warner Bros. made WBIE a thing.

I'm pretty sure that happened with board games as well.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 15, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

***ATTENTION WHEAT LOAF THE LAST JEDI IS NOW THE #1 MOVIE WORLDWIDE OF 2017***

http://deadline.com/2018/01/jumanji...ice-1202242887/

...that's $1,265,000,000 worldwide if you are counting (lots more than $900)

carry on everyone

Welp, that's the way it goes. :shrug: I was going to say that I think I'll still be right about Solo underperforming but expectations for it seem so low (:haw:) at this point that I'm not sure it can unless it flat-out bombs.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Leavemywife posted:

What in the world do you do in the Porky's game? Or Little Nicky?

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume most of those were platformers or Zelda clones of some kind. Maybe an adventure game if you're feeling really spicy.

IIRC, the tie-in game of Ballistics: Ecks vs Sever was an FPS. It was apparently better received than the movie but that's not exactly a high loving bar to clear. :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

They go back to at least the 1930s

Don't think Disney would approve a game where you shoot the protagonists down while (presumably) laughing in this day and age.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume most of those were platformers or Zelda clones of some kind. Maybe an adventure game if you're feeling really spicy.

I looked it up and Porky's was a platformer with a little Frogger-ish road crossing action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiI2yrT5I-o
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porky%27s_(video_game)

Little Nicky was a platformer with minigames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoY5yi2cbkA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Nicky_(video_game)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

Briefly going in the other direction, there was a period around 2005 or 6 when a whole bunch of video game adaptations of classic movies were proposed. We could have had Dirty Harry, Heat and (most mystifyingly) Taxi Driver games. That last one actually got a decent way into development, to the point of having a playable demo. We actually did get an awful Reservoir Dogs game (with none of the original actors voices or likenesses)

It was sort of amazing that everyone had the same terrible idea at once.

I remember there was a From Russia With Love one; I think Sean Connery recorded new dialogue for it and it's one of his last performances in anything ever.

From Russia With Love is one of the best movies in the series but it seems like an odd choice if you're going to mine the back catalogue to make a game adaptation of a 45 year old movie. Would've thought Goldfinger or Spy Who Loved Me would be a more obvious choice.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

IIRC, the tie-in game of Ballistics: Ecks vs Sever was an FPS. It was apparently better received than the movie but that's not exactly a high loving bar to clear. :v:

Ballistics was based on the game, I think.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Ballistics was based on the game, I think.
The first game was based on an early movie script, the second game was based on the actual movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Samovar posted:

Don't think Disney would approve a game where you shoot the protagonists down while (presumably) laughing in this day and age.

They still have the occasional shooting game but they go to great lengths to establish that you're shooting adjacent to the characters with a harmless toy gun or sucker darts or even pies

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 15, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Toy Story 2 tie-in game for the PS1 ("Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue") was pretty good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember there was a From Russia With Love one; I think Sean Connery recorded new dialogue for it and it's one of his last performances in anything ever.

From Russia With Love is one of the best movies in the series but it seems like an odd choice if you're going to mine the back catalogue to make a game adaptation of a 45 year old movie. Would've thought Goldfinger or Spy Who Loved Me would be a more obvious choice.

A little bit before Skyfall they put out a game where you do kind of a greatest hits of Bond movies. The weird thing was they retconned it so that everything happened to Daniel Craig Bond.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

muscles like this! posted:

A little bit before Skyfall they put out a game where you do kind of a greatest hits of Bond movies. The weird thing was they retconned it so that everything happened to Daniel Craig Bond.

Much like what happened with Goldeneye 64, I imagine they didn't have the budget to shell out for likeness rights to every previous Bond.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
We have a Full House board game, and this xmas we got a modern one based on the 1981 Thing. The old ones are always awful.

I love that stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electromax posted:

this xmas we got a modern one based on the 1981 Thing.

We used to play an unofficial board game version of The Thing when we were kids. It's just a regular game of Guess Who but the loser beats the poo poo out of the winner.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Nowadays the done thing seems to be branding existing games with popular IPs like LotR Risk and Seinfeld Monopoly and Harry Potter Clue.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electromax posted:

Nowadays the done thing seems to be branding existing games with popular IPs like LotR Risk and Seinfeld Monopoly and Harry Potter Clue.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Is it bad that I want most of these?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Completely untrue. ET was actually an incredibly sophisticated game for its console and era, introducing (relatively) complex RPG mechanics, a (comparatively) massive world, and multiple gameplay styles on a system where most games took place on a single screen. It was downright innovative and incredibly ambitious.

The problem wasn't that it was low effort, it's that the publisher rushed it into production to meet the film's release and in doing so didn't leave time for QA. This left several significant bugs in the final release which made the game essentially unplayable. A few years ago someone released a patch that fixed the bugs and the game's reputation has received a reexamination. The original developer was thankful.

Most of the perception of the game's failure was due to the publisher ordering an absolutely absurd number of copies which they needed to make and sell because the rights to the film were so expensive. At a time when sales on the console were already fading. Essentially the game needed to be the bestselling game on the console, late in the life of the system. It's akin to our modern problem of a movie's budget being so high it needed to make a billion just to not go in the red.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 15, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Casimir Radon posted:

Video game adaptations are no longer compulsory like they once were. It feels like they kind of died out around 2009. I remember seeing a commercial for one of Avatar, and thinking it looked like the most phoned in poo poo in the world, despite being attached to the biggest movie in the world that year. Since then they seem pretty rare.

I think the Avatar game ended up doing surprisingly well for the dumbest reason, you could get 1000 Gamerscore in it almost immediately and there were a ton of idiots who cared extremely deeply about having the highest Gamerscore possible

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have a feeling that part of why video game tie ins died out is just the amount of time and resources that go into video game development. A full 3D environment with recorded lines for 4 different platforms, is just herculean compared to how fast movies can be made now that they're all digital.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Cacator posted:

Both Hitman movies have been flops and total garbage at that, is there really appetite for more?

I unironically think Hitman world benefit from a shared universe setup because you could introduce 47 as a straight antagonist to a more heroic character like, fuckin, Lara Croft or whatever, and then do some Fast and the Furious poo poo to keep him from being a straight heel.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a feeling that part of why video game tie ins died out is just the amount of time and resources that go into video game development. A full 3D environment with recorded lines for 4 different platforms, is just herculean compared to how fast movies can be made now that they're all digital.

They didn't die, they just moved to mobile platforms. Cheaper to develop, lower quality expectations, people very willing to pay for microtransactions.

Current example:
JUMANJI: THE MOBILE GAME von NHN Entertainment Corp.https://itunes.apple.com/app/jumanji-the-mobile-game/id1274398573?mt=8

Decius fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 15, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aaagghhh, noooo. The new Hitman specifically goes out of its way to make the guns the weakest weapon in the game. He’s really not suited for any sort of action movie, it’s just not why people like that character.

He has this incredibly dry sense of humor and a weirdly comedic lack of self-awareness, like being a cold hearted murderer that can’t stop picking up (and then throwing) coins or can throw a can of soda so hard that it explodes and knocks someone unconscious, all while dressed as a clown or some other ridiculous getup.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the two hitman movies also seem to find him uninteresting enough that the character driving the plot is the female lead

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If your Hitman movie climax doesn’t start with an incredibly uneven delivery of “I need to use the bathroom.” then throw your script in the trash.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I unironically think Hitman world benefit from a shared universe setup because you could introduce 47 as a straight antagonist to a more heroic character like, fuckin, Lara Croft or whatever, and then do some Fast and the Furious poo poo to keep him from being a straight heel.
Movie starts with 47 killing someone close to Lara. 47 then proceeds to exist as a sort of phantom for the rest of the movie, taking out Lara's companions as Lara attempts to find some ancient treasure. Near the end of the movie, Lara finds out that the people she's been working with the whole movie, plus the person 47 killed at the beginning, were responsible for her parent's deaths. Movie ends with 47 causing a statue to "accidentally" crush the main bad guy, while he's making a big speech at Lara.

Taintrunner posted:

Aaagghhh, noooo. The new Hitman specifically goes out of its way to make the guns the weakest weapon in the game. He’s really not suited for any sort of action movie, it’s just not why people like that character.

He has this incredibly dry sense of humor and a weirdly comedic lack of self-awareness, like being a cold hearted murderer that can’t stop picking up (and then throwing) coins or can throw a can of soda so hard that it explodes and knocks someone unconscious, all while dressed as a clown or some other ridiculous getup.
His core trait is really that he can take on any role, even ones that require him to actually perform - like learning to be a legit world class drummer if that's what's gonna give him access to his target.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Taintrunner posted:

If your Hitman movie climax doesn’t start with an incredibly uneven delivery of “I need to use the bathroom.” then throw your script in the trash.

Why don't you sort some mail then, macho pig!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Movie starts with 47 killing someone close to Lara. 47 then proceeds to exist as a sort of phantom for the rest of the movie, taking out Lara's companions as Lara attempts to find some ancient treasure. Near the end of the movie, Lara finds out that the people she's been working with the whole movie, plus the person 47 killed at the beginning, were responsible for her parent's deaths. Movie ends with 47 causing a statue to "accidentally" crush the main bad guy, while he's making a big speech at Lara.

His core trait is really that he can take on any role, even ones that require him to actually perform - like learning to be a legit world class drummer if that's what's gonna give him access to his target.

This would make a fun movie if as you suggest 47 is just in the background until the hit is on. Like you could make a movie like Traffic which follows bad guys or certain people's lives, segmented, and then during the climax of the movie it turns out that lamp? IT WAS THE HITMAN *SILENCED GUNSHOT!*" and that dog in the background? IT WAS THE HITMAN *DEATH BY NECK BITE!* and a family having dinner at the table? *KILLED BY FALLING AIRPLANE THANKS TO THE HITMAN!*

Maybe there should be Scud the Assassin movie instead.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8DWMobJp4Q&t=600s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gatts posted:

This would make a fun movie if as you suggest 47 is just in the background until the hit is on. Like you could make a movie like Traffic which follows bad guys or certain people's lives, segmented, and then during the climax of the movie it turns out that lamp? IT WAS THE HITMAN *SILENCED GUNSHOT!*" and that dog in the background? IT WAS THE HITMAN *DEATH BY NECK BITE!* and a family having dinner at the table? *KILLED BY FALLING AIRPLANE THANKS TO THE HITMAN!*

Maybe there should be Scud the Assassin movie instead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
47 pretty much is basically a Bond henchman given his own franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hand Knit posted:

[Titanic game]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TahtKUMqUWM