Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
General goon consensus is to use these settings for gsync or freesync
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

The frame limiter stuff may be outdated for Nvidia card owners because they finally added a native frame limiter to the control panel like a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord

:rip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0pSscQek9Q

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DrDork posted:

If you're trying to do something silly like use EVGA's 450W BIOS, yes. Otherwise, for normal operation and mild overclocks, no--two cables to the three ports will be fine.

Are there any PSUs out there that have one plug per PCI-E cable?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think the Corsair SF750 Platinum (not gold) has individually sleeved one plugged PCI-E cables. Only two cables though.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/SF-Series/p/CP-9020186-NA

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I think the Corsair SF750 Platinum (not gold) has individually sleeved one plugged PCI-E cables. Only two cables though.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/SF-Series/p/CP-9020186-NA

It's two daisy chainable 8 pin cables (4 8pin connectors in total)

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

horchata posted:

It's two daisy chainable 8 pin cables (4 8pin connectors in total)

Ahh, drat it, sorry. Those pictures look so much like it's only a single connector per cable.

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 12, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

My PSU has 4 spots to run GPU power cables but 2 of the cables had 8pin+6pin and the other 2 cables had just 8pin. I ordered another single 8pin cables so I wouldn't have any extra dangling cables.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supernova-Titanium-Warranty-220-T2-0850-X1/dp/B018JYHGOQ

Oddly enough this was closer to $250 and shipped to my door in like a day around 2 months ago back when PSU demanded was the most insane due to Nvidia saying people need 750.

Lol I thought fast shipping times mattered :negative:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m so glad I was lucky enough to snag Corsair’s 12 pin -> 2x8 cable during the 10 minutes they were available. My FE cabling finally looks miles ahead of the stock adapter.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seasonic Prime Titanium’s have 1 plug per cable... but the 1kw unit also has like 8 cables so, lol

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rolo posted:

I’m so glad I was lucky enough to snag Corsair’s 12 pin -> 2x8 cable during the 10 minutes they were available. My FE cabling finally looks miles ahead of the stock adapter.

I'm staring at it and all I wanna do is strip it down and resleeve it with paracord.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intels 2nd GPU launch is a multi GPU server part for android game streaming? Voodoo 5 6000 finally real!

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16237/intel-launches-xelp-server-gpu-first-product-is-h3cs-quad-gpu-xg310-for-cloud-gaming

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is Android game streaming a big market

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finally got 3090, I managed to get a evga ftw3 last night from Newegg. I actually bought 2 accident, I had enough time to cancel the order and redo it somehow.
It's shipping tomorrow I will post a pic, also newegg emailed saying the cod gift cards ran out? But then they contacted me saying they will send it cause Nvidia requires all cards to have that.

Btw if anyone is still looking to get nvidia or amd stuff, I recommend r/amd or r/nvda, just have tabs open sort by new. They post it insanely quick and track places nowinstock doesn't.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Ulio posted:

Finally got 3090, I managed to get a evga ftw3 last night from Newegg. I actually bought 2 accident, I had enough time to cancel the order and redo it somehow.
It's shipping tomorrow I will post a pic, also newegg emailed saying the cod gift cards ran out? But then they contacted me saying they will send it cause Nvidia requires all cards to have that.

Btw if anyone is still looking to get nvidia or amd stuff, I recommend r/amd or r/nvda, just have tabs open sort by new. They post it insanely quick and track places nowinstock doesn't.

Thanks for this tip, and congrats on the snag!

edit: /r/nvda is a private subreddit, seems to be about a screenreader, guessing you meant nvidia

Thom ZombieForm fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 12, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

Where did you get this? Was it available off Corsair's site or a 3rd party?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Does anybody have any tips for how to undervolt an RTX 3070 properly? I have an Asus Dual OC that wants to boost to the loving moon, but I'd happily have it run 2% slower if it can get the temps & fan speeds down a good amount in return.

I've messed around with MSI Afterburner a little but really don't know what I'm doing.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Does anybody have any tips for how to undervolt an RTX 3070 properly? I have an Asus Dual OC that wants to boost to the loving moon, but I'd happily have it run 2% slower if it can get the temps & fan speeds down a good amount in return.

I've messed around with MSI Afterburner a little but really don't know what I'm doing.
Basically, you decide on a max voltage and clock. The point is to create a completely flat curve past a certain point so you don't have the GPU ramping up for no performance gain and only more noise and temps to show for it.

You want to raise your desired voltage-clock point on the graph to be the highest point on the graph, since this will flatten the graph after that point, giving you a steady, constant voltage. This means you can't raise it to a Y value (clock) that's lower than another voltage value to the right of it on the graph. So you lower the overall graph by opening it (Ctrl+F) and holding Alt and dragging it down so you can set the point to what you want.

I don't know what's a good point for a 3070, but I just picked a slightly undershot clock that was already on the graph and picked 9xx mV for it. You can always adjust it up after. My 1070 peaked around 2100, so I just set it to a more doable 1900 and picked 950 which is still pretty high. I haven't experimented with optimizing the values either, but it works just fine fwiw. After you pick your point, you can try smoothing the curve a little to the left of it since Afterburner doesn't do much there.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone had the sweet spot values for the 3070 somewhere. You can always add more voltage to play it safe.

Others can chime in with how you figure out clocks and voltages through testing or trial and error since I just did it in one go with very conservative values. I dunno if you test by overshooting clock or undershooting voltage.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 12, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Arzachel posted:

Do you have adaptive sync enabled on your monitor? Do you have gsync enabled in the control panel? Is your fps capped/running at less than the max refresh rate? Does the "gsync on" watermark show ingame once you enable it?

The user experience in getting the drat thing working certainly leaves a lot to be desired, but the effect is very much noticable even at 140fps.

I don't know
Yes
Yes, capped at 144, , msi afterburner is showing fps
Never noticed a watermark.

Looks like I have to do some investigation. Thanks!

Edit: and thanks for the blurbusters post. I have some stuff to do!

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 12, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

the only times android streaming would make a lot of sense is on the go, and on the go you have to pay for bandwidth lmao

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Stream the Android version of Fortnite to your iPhone where Fortnite is banned

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Truga posted:

the only times android streaming would make a lot of sense is on the go, and on the go you have to pay for bandwidth lmao

mobile gaming is like 60% of the total videogame market and a lot of people are playing a lot of games at home on wifi these days, i guess. apparently the whole product is getting driven by Tencent.

get some hot new effects on grandmas slot machine scam games!!!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anyone have any idea what might be causing freezing/reboot issues? They only started after installing my EVGA XC3 Ultra.

Checking event logs it goes FileInfo > Wof > FileCrypt > npsvctrig then critical error reboot

It only happens on the desktop; it doesn't happen in games. I tried googling around and I'm completely stumped. :confused:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Knot My President! posted:

Anyone have any idea what might be causing freezing/reboot issues? They only started after installing my EVGA XC3 Ultra.

Checking event logs it goes FileInfo > Wof > FileCrypt > npsvctrig then critical error reboot

It only happens on the desktop; it doesn't happen in games. I tried googling around and I'm completely stumped. :confused:

Have you done a clean driver install since installing the new card?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Knot My President! posted:

Is your motherboard set to use Gen4 (assuming you have an X570 or similkar motherboard)? That can cause instability. Might want to force it to Gen3.

Also try taking it out and inserting it again, maybe it's not quite seated correctly? Is it possible to try a clean install of Windows on an spare HDD by itself and see if its a software problem? That would be one way to isolate it.

And yeah did you do a clean DDU uninstall from safe-mode first?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ftw3 ultra 3080 arrived and i can confirm the clown lips are gone, replaced by black ones that you dont even notice

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
lol my 1080Ti died today just as I'd finished the absurd Cold War preinstall, rip. Good job I paid for my 3080, near enough as makes no difference, two loving months ago. :shepicide:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you done a clean driver install since installing the new card?

Yeah I did-- I just did another one just to be sure. Fingers crossed

Xaris posted:

Is your motherboard set to use Gen4 (assuming you have an X570 or similkar motherboard)? That can cause instability. Might want to force it to Gen3.

Also try taking it out and inserting it again, maybe it's not quite seated correctly? Is it possible to try a clean install of Windows on an spare HDD by itself and see if its a software problem? That would be one way to isolate it.

And yeah did you do a clean DDU uninstall from safe-mode first?

This issue has persisted through my old computer (z170-a + 6700K) and my new computer build (b550 Tomahawk + 5950x). The only variable added was the GPU-- all other parts ran with no issues up until the GPU was installed. Perplexing and I can't find any fixes online :I

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Theophany posted:

lol my 1080Ti died today just as I'd finished the absurd Cold War preinstall, rip. Good job I paid for my 3080, near enough as makes no difference, two loving months ago. :shepicide:

Pop that poo poo in the oven.

https://youtu.be/QYazvQf0lhA

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Thanks for this tip, and congrats on the snag!

edit: /r/nvda is a private subreddit, seems to be about a screenreader, guessing you meant nvidia

Haha my bad, ya meant r/nvidia. Just use to saying stock tickers cause of work. Good luck to y'all!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yaaay, finally managed to grab a card at a local drop, 80+ cards split on 4 different models. Ordered and shipped today.

Now to try to massage that into my evolve shift air while I wait for my new nr200p case that is also delayed..

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nvidia is doing AMD's SAM on both Intel and AMD platforms via a driver update for Ampere.

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1327006795253084161

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Just missed out on a ASUS TUF 3080 drop today on Amazon. First time I'd seen the TUF in awhile.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SourKraut posted:

Just missed out on a ASUS TUF 3080 drop today on Amazon. First time I'd seen the TUF in awhile.
I was actually on top of one earlier and it wouldn't let me add it to my cart

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Hm, I don't see an option (googling nvidia shows there should be one) to show me when g-sync is actually working.

I've followed all of the stuff in the blur busters guide too. Everything is working fine as far as I can tell but it'd be good to have a confirmation that this feature is working. Would msi afterburner or something, show if it's on or not for a game? According to this: https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nvdsp/To_know_if_VRR_is_turned_on_in_your_game.htm there's a way to enable a notification but I don't see it in my control panel.

I do have another monitor (a reciever) plugged in via hdmi but it's not selected/in use right now in the multiple monitor setup so only my main monitor is on. This main monitor is plugged in via a displayport cable.

My Nvidia control panel g-sync section:

edit: oh it's a top-left menu option! I just turned it on, and I'll check if it's working now.

edit 2: yes it's on. I played a little bit. I'd say it's still not night and day, but I'll just put it down to not being a top-tier gamer, because I'm definitely not one.

redreader fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 13, 2020

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Supradog posted:

Yaaay, finally managed to grab a card at a local drop, 80+ cards split on 4 different models. Ordered and shipped today.

Now to try to massage that into my evolve shift air while I wait for my new nr200p case that is also delayed..

I also got a Zotac 3080 trinity and had to gently massage it into my Meshify C. It is extremely close but does not hit the blades:

mysteryberto fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 13, 2020

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Going from the 1070 to the 3080 is a big jump regardless of DLSS potential. I'll be happy with this machine for a while.

Thanks to all the goons with discord sniping pro tips.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

Nvidia is doing AMD's SAM on both Intel and AMD platforms via a driver update for Ampere.

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1327006795253084161

hmm, this reminds me of something

Paul MaudDib posted:

oh neat, so when is AMD going to open their SMA/DMA interface here so others can have the same advantage?

open standards are best guys! You shouldn't buy anything without open standards ! Only open standards !

gosh, wonder why NVIDIA wanted to buy ARM
lmao it's even funnier than i remembered

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
So, if I wanna have a card (3070 it's fine, even a 3080 i could muster) before the decade is over I better jump on that discord thingy and monitor it like a hawk?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Volguus posted:

So, if I wanna have a card (3070 it's fine, even a 3080 i could muster) before the decade is over I better jump on that discord thingy and monitor it like a hawk?
In theory yeah. I haven't had luck yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Undervolting Asus RTX 3070 Dual OC

Baseline Time Spy: 13,496 76C (1980 peak boost @ 1056mv)

850mv max/1800 peak boost/+1,000 memory clock: 13,439 68C

Keeping it under 70C keeps the fan noise way down so I'm pretty happy with this. Runs Port Royal torture test without a hitch so stability seems good.