Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I just don't want a loot system that has me spending hours grinding in the hopes of getting a piece of equipment that fits my build
I should be picking up something so cool every few minutes that it makes me re-evaluate my playstyle

So few loot games get this balance right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KingSlime posted:

Man I hate sphere grid style skill trees so much, hell just skill trees in general suck rear end. Especially when they're full of trash like +5 strength or +10 MP. Even when not, they're visually ugly, hard to parse, overall uninteresting and it just feels like you're choosing between a few pre set paths so it's not like it adds much agency.

That and RNG based growths on stats can get absolutely hosed

Same. It made me stop playing FFX back in the day.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I just don't want a loot system that has me spending hours grinding in the hopes of getting a piece of equipment that fits my build
I should be picking up something so cool every few minutes that it makes me re-evaluate my playstyle

Oh man on that note I love when equipping different gear/spells/pocket monsters give you permanent boosts that stick around after you swap them out. Like learning spells/skills from weapons and armor in FFIX, or your MC being able to "copy" a spell from a demon who has learned all its skills in SMT games.

These systems reward swapping stuff out, toying with the mechanics, and getting the most out of a game's combat system. poo poo just works.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes, it’s that bad imo. The games also look blurry and like poo poo. It’s fine for the RPGs but I’d still stick to the Ages collections for any single games you’d may want.

I kinda want to get it to have Streets of Rage 1-3 on the perfect console, despite having 1+2 on my 3DS and 3 on Steam. With the sale it turns out to be 5 euro a game and bunch of extra crap I don't actually care about.

Being a beat 'em up game I guess the lag would matter though huh? I suppose there's the Rewind feature to make up for it but nonetheless.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

istewart posted:

I keep on seeing LEGO DC Super-Villains pop up on sale... is it worth it if I enjoyed the original LEGO Star Wars back in the day?

My daughter in first grade and I have played all of the LEGO super hero games for dc and marvel. I liked playing them with her and there is a ton of context, however I would not play it without a small child as a co-op partner. There is much better out there.

Luckily she has “graduated” to MUA3 as of last week and is liking it, so there may not be that many more LEGO style games in my future.

Hope that helps!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sphere grid and skill trees own

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I kinda want to get it to have Streets of Rage 1-3 on the perfect console, despite having 1+2 on my 3DS and 3 on Steam. With the sale it turns out to be 5 euro a game and bunch of extra crap I don't actually care about.

Being a beat 'em up game I guess the lag would matter though huh? I suppose there's the Rewind feature to make up for it but nonetheless.

Yeah, its not worth it for those. I found them to control like poo poo when I tried it, especially compared to the M2 3DS versions. Wait for M2 to push Ages releases for them on Switch or just stick with 4 and unlock those characters in it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The FFX Sphere Grid was interesting because you got warp spheres that let you jump to another party member’s spot. This let you do crazy poo poo, like turn Yuna into an ultra-powerful red mage by teleporting to Lulu or turn Wakka’s blitzballs into armor-shredding cannonballs by teleporting to Auron.

I imagine Path of Exile does not have anything like that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Double Punctuation posted:

The FFX Sphere Grid was interesting because you got warp spheres that let you jump to another party member’s spot. This let you do crazy poo poo, like turn Yuna into an ultra-powerful red mage by teleporting to Lulu or turn Wakka’s blitzballs into armor-shredding cannonballs by teleporting to Auron.

PoE is a rabbits hole of complexity. It has multiple systems that layer over top of the skill tree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGTlL_HlWGw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The PoE sphere grid is literally all passive stat boosts you get your actual skills in other ways.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Double Punctuation posted:

you don't even need a teleport sphere for the yuna one, you just use a level 2 key sphere (which comes pretty early) and boom, you get to make lulu completely irrelevant

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I try to give less of a poo poo about the optimal path in rpgs as I get older and I feel like I enjoy the games more.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Your Computer posted:

that was my experience with Path of Exile and I haven't played it since :negative:

I feel like it deserves some more context, namely that the skill tree looks like this and you can't respec your character*:

*someone will inevitably butt in and say that "you can do that now!" but it's literally one(1) skill point at a time and I think you need to pay for it.

This is dumb nitpicking, you literally activate respec mode and then click all of the nodes you want to refund and then hit one confirmation to get all of those points back. It costs in-game currency, not real money, and it's not a particularly rare or large amount of in-game currency.

You can't change your starting class, but that's true of tons of RPGs including D3.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, the way the difficulty is, i feel it's optimised more for co-op play.
Playing it alone, I just feel disappointed every time.
I'm not burnt out on it yet, but progression is quite slow playing solo. I haven't got the time to organise a co-op game so I'll just keep pushing through.

It's fun for now.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Is divinity original sin 2 a good buy in the switch? Never played it.

I’ve played diablo 3 but not any of the expansions so I’m kind of debating which to get.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Blood Stained Ritual of the Night is on sale in the eshop. Glancing at reviews, it sounds like it might be a bad port. Is this the case? If it was, did the issues get fixed in the year or so it's been out?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It technically works fine but it's a much uglier version of the game and the general bugginess of the game still exists (across all platforms).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was a bad port and now it's ok. Graphics are much better anywhere else though

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Numlock posted:

I’ve played diablo 3 but not any of the expansions so I’m kind of debating which to get.

Divinity is a great rpg with some of the best turn based combat out there. The switch version looks a bit uglier than other versions but performs and plays very well.

Diablo 3 only has the one real expansion but it revamps the game so much and fixes most of the issues.

Basically do you want an action-loot game or something more story focused?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Numlock posted:

Get Planescape Torment, on sale for the first time!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How easy is it to bounce in and out of Divinity 2?

Don't play a lot of Switch games these days 'cause I'm at home all the time, but I enjoy the every-five-years weeklong dive into Skyrim and I like being able to hop on to easy-mode Witcher for some stories.

Meanwhile I really wanna finish Baba is You and Obra Dinn but I stepped away from them for a bit and I'm pretty sure I'd be quite lost coming back to them after a lengthy break.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Can anyone help me with Nintendo account issues? I have one profile on my switch that’s linked to my Nintendo account, paying the $20/year or whatever, so I can do online play in Mario maker, and because I was the only person using it at first. But now we’ve picked up animal crossing because my wife wants to play it. So we made her an account/profile on the switch for her island. (I assume I can play on the island with my profile later?) But she can’t visit anyone’s island online because she doesn’t have a Nintendo online account. And when I try to link it to my account it throws an error that the account is already linked to a profile in this switch.

I can’t imagine Nintendo made it so only one person in a family could visit other islands, did they?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is Aegis Defenders any good ?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Arcturas posted:

Can anyone help me with Nintendo account issues? I have one profile on my switch that’s linked to my Nintendo account, paying the $20/year or whatever, so I can do online play in Mario maker, and because I was the only person using it at first. But now we’ve picked up animal crossing because my wife wants to play it. So we made her an account/profile on the switch for her island. (I assume I can play on the island with my profile later?) But she can’t visit anyone’s island online because she doesn’t have a Nintendo online account. And when I try to link it to my account it throws an error that the account is already linked to a profile in this switch.

I can’t imagine Nintendo made it so only one person in a family could visit other islands, did they?

You have to upgrade your Nintendo Online account to a family plan and then add your wife's account to it. They'll prorate it by whatever you paid already for that year of Nintendo Online.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

doing my first ff7 playthrough right now and I have to say it's a total blast with the added functions (3x, unlimited power mode, and turn off random encounters). Really lets you enjoy the game however you want it and helps you through a lot of the hard/dated parts. Don't think I'd be having as much fun if they didn't put these in but with them it's a blast for a newcomer to the series.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
anyone try thronebreaker on the switch? 10 bux seems like my price range but I can wait for the ps4 sale again if it runs like rear end.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

RichterIX posted:

You have to upgrade your Nintendo Online account to a family plan and then add your wife's account to it. They'll prorate it by whatever you paid already for that year of Nintendo Online.

Thanks. That’s dumb.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Which of the Jedi Knight games is better?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/playismEN/status/1269250617249116160

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:chloe:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Where’d everyone land on AI: The Somnium Files?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

Where’d everyone land on AI: The Somnium Files?

it whips rear end, especially if you liked Zero Escape (though playing ZE is by no means required, it's an entirely separate game from that series)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Numlock posted:

Surprisingly yes and it's one of the best RPGs out there.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it whips rear end, especially if you liked Zero Escape (though playing ZE is by no means required, it's an entirely separate game from that series)

They really need to bring nonary games to switch

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

call me crazy but I think someone might've been horny while making this game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I watched the video and was like "huh, they seem to be overstating that, it's just slimes and like maybe that's a lady mummy?"

And then it got to the bosses.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

One of the reasons I got sick of Borderlands very quickly. You're constantly picking up lovely loot that is absolutely useless. So much time wasted in the inventory comparing weapons and loot.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Which of the Jedi Knight games is better?

Academy is better overall. There's some branching stuff you can do and more saber styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

psylent posted:

One of the reasons I got sick of Borderlands very quickly. You're constantly picking up lovely loot that is absolutely useless. So much time wasted in the inventory comparing weapons and loot.

The only way I enjoy those games is with a trainer running that changes the epic spawn rate

but then I just get a lovely feeling shooter
I don't know why I keep trying to enjoy them