Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fuzzykins posted:

They'll call it Fallout One, to avoid confusion

Fallout 76 has the wrong kind of lore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Sounds pretty fine to me. They're hard to counterfeit without the specific machines that made them and they're backed by water, which is an incredibly vital resource in the desert wasteland. They're actually a really sensible currency that follows the general rules of real currency from early civilization (hard to counterfeit, backed by something directly valuable to life instead of precious metals that may lose value).

Having caps as currency with no explanation on the East Coast is what makes no sense, and is just "Well, Fallout did this before and fans will recognize it so just put it in."

It was always extra weird to me because Fallout 2 had already discarded them and making up a post war currency has lots of room for Bethesda's own kind of worldbuilding. Like Eden's Enclave distributing and backing straight up dollars versus Brotherhood fun bucks and then some baseball themed currency promoted by Diamond City for 4. Baseball cards maybe?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Glenn Quebec posted:

So, when the game launches and we are all playing and it's fun + good reviews, what happens to the people who are chomping at the bit about how terrible it is that there are molerats when according to a terminal in Fallout 1 they came about 10 years after the first vault opened?

Don’t you think you’re being a little disingenuous here? There’s people who have been fans of the series for a long time for the story and they’re basically being told “Yo, we don’t care about you.” I hardly think that getting upset about that direction is an unreasonable take to have given how Bethesda’s been communicating about it.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Glenn Quebec posted:

So, when the game launches and we are all playing and it's fun + good reviews, what happens to the people who are chomping at the bit about how terrible it is that there are molerats when according to a terminal in Fallout 1 they came about 10 years after the first vault opened?

Even though this question is worded as snarkily as humanly possible by someone clearly incapable of discussing something in a rational and intelligent way, I’ll give it an honest answer: I’ll probably be playing Red Dead Redemption 2, and I probably will be thinking very little about Fallout 76, if at all

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
Game looks like it runs like rear end, also enemy AI looks turned off, they barely fire/react like they do in 4

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Game looks like it runs like rear end, also enemy AI looks turned off, they barely fire/react like they do in 4

My man let me show some endgame boss AI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbUYipTg4YA&t=39s

This poo poo would challenge even the most hardcore FPS players and WoW raiders.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Glenn Quebec posted:

While you're doing that I'll be orbiting in my solid gold spaceship playing the full release of Star Citizen and won't you be jealous of me then huh???

Also, 'champing' at the bit.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Proud Rat Mom posted:

My one complaint about the gameplay that I've seen so far, is that the enemies do look to be WAY easier than they were in Fallout 4, but I'm hoping they tweak that before launch. I'm sure they'll get a lot of feedback about it during B.E.T.A since most of the Youtubers I've watched said they also mentioned that to the devs.

Even the "epic" battles with the big boss monsters seem super easy. Deathclaws shouldn't be able to hit you 5 times before you die and the Flatwoods Monster, while cool looking and teleporting around and shooting laser beams and being a level 40 mythical monster shouldn't be able to be taken down by a group of level 5s.

I remember the early game in FO 4, some of the best moments were seeing a glowing one come around the corner to charge me and thinking "oh god! I'm going to die!" and scrambling for some sort of cover or unloading all the chems/explosives I had so I could have a chance of living.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

afkmacro posted:

My man let me show some endgame boss AI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbUYipTg4YA&t=39s

This poo poo would challenge even the most hardcore FPS players and WoW raiders.

I made it halfway through that video before I got bored.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

deathbagel posted:

My one complaint about the gameplay that I've seen so far, is that the enemies do look to be WAY easier than they were in Fallout 4, but I'm hoping they tweak that before launch. I'm sure they'll get a lot of feedback about it during B.E.T.A since most of the Youtubers I've watched said they also mentioned that to the devs.

Even the "epic" battles with the big boss monsters seem super easy. Deathclaws shouldn't be able to hit you 5 times before you die and the Flatwoods Monster, while cool looking and teleporting around and shooting laser beams and being a level 40 mythical monster shouldn't be able to be taken down by a group of level 5s.

I remember the early game in FO 4, some of the best moments were seeing a glowing one come around the corner to charge me and thinking "oh god! I'm going to die!" and scrambling for some sort of cover or unloading all the chems/explosives I had so I could have a chance of living.

The optimist in me makes me think Bethesda was smart enough to turn the difficulty setting to "games journalist" before the event. Then again it could also be that the game is bad

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Has anyone said fallout 69 yet lmao

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Minorkos posted:

The optimist in me makes me think Bethesda was smart enough to turn the difficulty setting to "games journalist" before the event. Then again it could also be that the game is bad

A lot of the people they brought in weren't exactly random journalists that need hand holding.

Also it's not like Fallout 4 was difficult in any way.

You can't have individually set difficulties online so it's probably going to be the equivalent of "normal" difficulty

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
will bethesda make pip boy a romanceable character

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

afkmacro posted:

Game isn't out and its already beat. Twitch youtube first views are so aggressive now.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Azhais posted:

A lot of the people they brought in weren't exactly random journalists that need hand holding.

Counterpoint: they also had Polygon come over

Azhais posted:

You can't have individually set difficulties online

But you can change the server difficulty in general though? I said nothing about changing the difficulty on an individual basis.

That said I wouldn't actually bet on them having turned the difficulty down. It seems more likely that the game is just easy by nature. Honestly, who knows what kind of balance to expect when the team making the game is some sort of mish-mash of failed moba-shooter devs and people who've been making easily broken singleplayer games all their lives

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Minorkos posted:

But you can change the server difficulty in general though? I said nothing about changing the difficulty on an individual basis.

You can't please everyone with a single difficulty level, too hard or too easy (lot of more casual fans that just love the setting). Which i think is a real problem, because as far as I can tell there will only be one set difficulty level across all servers. (but i fully expect that to change at some point)

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

deathbagel posted:

It's all about the money. That sweet sweet Microsoft money. Same reason the B.E.T.A is launching a week early on Xbox and why they are having an early beta before that which is also Xbox only.

Also, sales for Fallout 4 were significantly higher on consoles than it was on PC, so backing the console version first and foremost makes the most sense from a business standpoint. You don't want them to show off how awesome it looks on PC in all the early videos of it just to disappoint the largest section of their gamers when they buy the game on console. If you show off the worst version, then the people who buy that version will be happy that the game wasn't misrepresented, while the PC gamers get to be impressed at how much better it looks/performs on their system than it did in all of those early videos.

This. I'm impressed it ran at all at 4K with godrays turned on on a loving Xbone.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Yea, is really smart for Microsoft to do that. And honestly, is doing their loving job. Is the lack of things like these why PS ate their dinner. I may hate it, but without exclusives or pseudoexclusives you don't have muscle in a console war.

WHAT THIS MEAN?

if you have a PC, the game will look and run much better than in the youtubes videos we saw
if you have a PS4 Pro, the game may look exactly or a tiny better than this

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Tei posted:

Yea, is really smart for Microsoft to do that. And honestly, is doing their loving job. Is the lack of things like these why PS ate their dinner. I may hate it, but without exclusives or pseudoexclusives you don't have muscle in a console war.

WHAT THIS MEAN?

if you have a PC, the game will look and run much better than in the youtubes videos we saw
if you have a PS4 Pro, the game may look exactly or a tiny better than this

I'd expect significance performance gains on PS4 Pro. Bethesda says their goal is 30 FPS in 4k. If they can manage to hit that or close to that on Xbox the PS4 Pro and PCs will be fine.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

afkmacro posted:

Part of why I'm critical of 76 is because West Virginia is overflowing with potential for Fallout as a setting. Several very distinct cryptids, a long running history of labor violently butting heads with capitalism, a land riddled with coal mines capable of housing survivors and worse, and the off-the-grid nature of the Appalachians could have stood to make a very uniquely themed but distinctly Fallout experience.

But that video makes the game look like something out of Xbox Live Arcade's $5 and under section circa 2012. It's a shame to see such potential wasted.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I honestly can't understand this industry's obsession with 4k especially when they have to go down to like 20ish framerates to support it. I guess it's more cinematic that way anyway or something like that

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
4K is better duh

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Minorkos posted:

I honestly can't understand this industry's obsession with 4k especially when they have to go down to like 20ish framerates to support it. I guess it's more cinematic that way anyway or something like that

Sony sells 4K TVs. Microsoft is stupid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We're very close to hitting a graphics plateau so they're trying to push the next big thing and 4K is that. Long-term they're also trying to push ray-tracing for the next big leap after 4k. Personally I find ray tracing to be really dumb since shaders do the job just fine while rendering individual beams of sunlight sounds ridiculously GPU intensive.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 11, 2018

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

The funny part is that the people with 4k TVs will be sitting across the room from them, so basically all the extra pixels will be for naught since they physically cannot see them

edit: i wish the next big gimmick in graphics technology was optimization and better refresh rates

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

We're very close to hitting a graphics plateau so they're trying to push the next big thing and 4K is that. Long-term they're also trying to push ray-tracing for the next big leap. Personally I find ray tracing to be really dumb since shaders do the job just fine while rendering individual beams of sunlight sounds ridiculously GPU intensive.

Raytracing works by firing laser from the eyes, then when the laser hit a object, the lighting is calculated, and the bounce of the light, repeating the process of the bounce as many times as you want.

Light from the sun is probably easy to calculate, has if it comes from a light point in the infinite.

I doubt any of us will live long enough to see raytracing in videogames. I doubt in 50+ years will be a thing.

"Good enough" beats "Perfect" any day of the week. And raytracing is ridiculous expensive. Raycasted games looks really good, unbelievable good, so raytracing don't seems neccesary.

Raytracing is the "flyiing cars" of videogames. Imho.

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/1050462376410185735

Tei fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 11, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Minorkos posted:

Arcsquad12 posted:

We're very close to hitting a graphics plateau so they're trying to push the next big thing and 4K is that. Long-term they're also trying to push ray-tracing for the next big leap. Personally I find ray tracing to be really dumb since shaders do the job just fine while rendering individual beams of sunlight sounds ridiculously GPU intensive.

To second this, for a decade the marketing arm of the games industry has convinced itself that the "conventional wisdom" is that pushing the envelope of graphics technology is a big, if not the biggest, driver of sales. Like "conventional wisdom" in almost every other industry it is really stupid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nvidia is already prototyping ray-tracing technology for their next batch of graphics cards, but lol if I'm going to retire my 1070 anytime soon. Really, rather than pushing the envelope with visuals, what we should be doing is raising the minimum values since most cards nowadays are overpowered for what we ask of them. Optimize game engines, raise the quality of minimum settings, and try to cut down on bloat that is causing 100gb installs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

It was always extra weird to me because Fallout 2 had already discarded them and making up a post war currency has lots of room for Bethesda's own kind of worldbuilding. Like Eden's Enclave distributing and backing straight up dollars versus Brotherhood fun bucks and then some baseball themed currency promoted by Diamond City for 4. Baseball cards maybe?

Hell yeah, make packs of baseball cards the currency backed by Diamond City's water supply. Then the Brotherhood requires you to use requisition scrips with their vendors.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The real limitation for videogames just now are the CPU consoles use.

IMHO. Because consoles equip underpowered CPU's, the videgames are forced to be simulation-light AI-light, and 30 FPS. Stronger CPU's on consoles could allow games that simulate more of the world and more complex interaction are possible.

Anyway I am mr. nobody from the internet, so what I know.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Megazver posted:

Intricacies of how they shuffle assets around inside their corporate structure aside, ESO and F76 are both made by side-studios formed for the purposes of working on this poo poo and published by Bethesda the publisher. Close enough for me.

I mean, the team that has been making all the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games didn't work on ESO though. They're different teams making different decisions. iirc Bethesda was consulted for lore and that's about all the input they have on ESO. They have their own projects to work on.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 11, 2018

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

I mean, the team that has been making all the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games didn't work on ESO though. They're different teams making different decisions. iirc Bethesda was consulted for lore and that's about all the input they have on ESO. They have their own projects to work on.

Yes. The team that has been making all the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games isn't working on F76 either. It's developed by the team that was working on Battlecry.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 11, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Megazver posted:

Yes. The team that has been making all the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games isn't working on F76 either. It's developed by the team that was working on Battlecry.

The point was that just because ESO started shaky and recovered doesn't mean anything with regards to 76 because they are different people working on different projects. Bethesda/BattleCry's teams don't have experience from running ESO because they didn't run ESO.

Anyway most of Battlecry's devs left years ago and the wiki says

quote:

2018 Fallout 76 - Co-developed with Bethesda Game Studios.[10]

just sayin'

also lol:

quote:

BattleCry Studios is seeking employees with experience in microtransactions and free-to-play games.[2]

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 11, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

The point was that just because ESO started shaky and recovered doesn't mean anything with regards to 76 because they are different people working on different projects. Bethesda/BattleCry's teams don't have experience from running ESO because they didn't run ESO.

ESO was also built on a totally new engine from the ground up as an MMO, while Fallout 76 is trying to add netcode to a janky FPS/RPG engine that dates back nearly 20 years. There might be some improvements that can't be made.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the more I see the less I think I"m interested

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
can you play as pip boy

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Between Hines saying gently caress the canon of the isometric games and Howard saying "fallout fans are hung up on the old isometric games" I get the feeling Bethesda doesn't like their brand of fallout getting compared unfavorably to Interplay, Black Isle and Obsidian.

The humor in Cream-Of-Plenty's fakeposts is cancelled out by having to deal with the credulous idiots who take them as gospel because they confirm their existing view.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

7c Nickel posted:

The humor in Cream-Of-Plenty's fakeposts is cancelled out by having to deal with the credulous idiots who take them as gospel because they confirm their existing view.

Yeah that's a Eurogamer article not Cream of Plenty but don't let that stop you, bud. Pete Hines said "we won't be beholden to 20 year old game lore" and Todd Howard said fallout "fans" only want the 20 year old isometric games.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah that's a Eurogamer article not Cream of Plenty but don't let that stop you, bud. Pete Hines said "we won't be beholden to 20 year old game lore" and Todd Howard said fallout "fans" only want the 20 year old isometric games.

Please link where you found that second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
So, is Agility going to end up a dump stat in this game?

I can't find anybody enthusiastic about VATs and stealth's going to be a little more finicky if you're running around with a party

even the Agility-based perks I've seen seem kinda weak, stuff like "take less fall damage" and "run better"