Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'll be the person who heroically says 76 looks bad because the game looks bad, not because of lore reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, Courtney Taylor is an industry professional who has been doing voiceovers for the last fifteen years. Brian T. Delaney has also been around for a while but he didn't do such a good job.

The voice coach or the VO director for Bethesda has to have been pretty bad to get such a poor performance out of Delaney. A lot of times the screw ups for voice acting are not the fault of the actor, but of the director not giving good instructions. Some actors like Taylor can get around this by pure talent, while other actors can be pretty dependent on their directors to get their best delivery, and I think Delaney is in the second category. I'm inclined to believe that the problem lies with Bethesda because bad voice acting isn't exclusive to Fallout 4. Skyrim has a lot of crappy line deliveries, and the less said about Bethesda's celebrity VA cameos, the better. They're only saved from being the weakest cameos by virtue of Peter Dinklage's Destiny stint which was so abysmal that he was replaced by Nolan North.

If you want to see a game series with fantastic voice direction, look at the Dawn of War franchise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUP3_kh01mI

Courtney Taylor also did a lot of voices for New Vegas, including Gloria Van Graff, so we know how much a good voice director can help further the talent.

Bethesda has also been doing the really sketchy thing a lot of studios do where they don't actually tell their voice actors what they're working on. The actor for Kellogg had no clue he had done voice acting for Fallout 4 until another voice actor figured it out and told him shortly before release. Along with secrecy, it keeps the voice actors from negotiating for a higher rate by learning the budget of the game they're working on. The downside (other than "cheating actors out of higher pay by making them think it's a no-budget gig") is that the actors then have basically no context for what they're doing and can't be told any details about the world, their character, or what's going on in the scene. They're operating in a near-vacuum.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tei posted:

I don't know where game companies hire PR people.

I was curious how Pete Hines got his job and supposedly he was a games journalist for a now-defunct games review website until he made friends with Todd Howard, and then Todd gave him the PR job. This only goes to show that even supreme men like Todd "God" Howard err at times.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 11, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Zelder posted:

I'll be the person who heroically says 76 looks bad because the game looks bad, not because of lore reasons

Listen, lore discussions are a step up from "Fallout 76 looks bad because..."
  • "... it looks worse than FO4!"
  • "... it looks exactly like FO4 (bad)!"
  • "... it looks only slightly better than FO4!"

I for one welcome discussions about how awful Bethesda is at lore and story telling, how shoehorning in the familiar elements from past games is a waste of a great opportunity to do something new and interesting.

chitoryu12 posted:

Courtney Taylor also did a lot of voices for New Vegas, including Gloria Van Graff, so we know how much a good voice director can help further the talent.

Bethesda has also been doing the really sketchy thing a lot of studios do where they don't actually tell their voice actors what they're working on. The actor for Kellogg had no clue he had done voice acting for Fallout 4 until another voice actor figured it out and told him shortly before release. Along with secrecy, it keeps the voice actors from negotiating for a higher rate by learning the budget of the game they're working on. The downside (other than "cheating actors out of higher pay by making them think it's a no-budget gig") is that the actors then have basically no context for what they're doing and can't be told any details about the world, their character, or what's going on in the scene. They're operating in a near-vacuum.

From what I'm told that's not just a Bethesda thing nor even limited to the video games industry. Doing cold reads of scripts you only received the morning of recording is common. That's why having a good director is paramount.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

I'm not a huge lore guy, I mean I love fallout 1/2 and the timeline and what not but I don't memorize the dates. That said, gently caress this guy and gently caress his garbage game.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
fallout 76 is a video game

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

We live in a society

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lmao why are people so mad about this game it looks fun as hell. I've been confused for pages at all the vitriol and continue to be.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I think people are upset about Fallout 76 looking a bit scuffed only because they know they'll have to buy the game regardless of how bad it is. It's the Bethesda curse.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Minorkos posted:

I think people are upset about Fallout 76 looking a bit scuffed only because they know they'll have to buy the game regardless of how bad it is. It's the Bethesda curse.

I got the power armor collector's edition. In my mind I bought a cool cosplay helmet that happened to come with a game as a bonus. If 76 is a dumpster fire I still have the helmet. I have way more confidence in Chronicle Collectables than in Bethesda.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lmao why are people so mad about this game it looks fun as hell. I've been confused for pages at all the vitriol and continue to be.

Game looks like an even more lukewarm rear end version of FO4 where all the quests are Preston-tier nothingness, also no mods or unofficial patches so lol sweet gotta hope Bethesda actually care about having functional QA and patching for the first time ever, also Bethesda having to be yet another studio that decides they need their own exclusive platform for the only 1-2 games they'll lock away on it, also the performance looked like poo poo in their own in-house conditions and they have like 2 weeks to fix it which yeah fat chance.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Coop bumps any game up in terms of fun. If it runs like fallout 4, it'll be a good time. Crying about lore that was never really taken care of or used in any inventive way is stupid.

Sandbox fallout with friends with a more intelligent PvP system is rad. Being able to make settlements, albeit not robust ones, is rad. Finding nukes and firing them off is rad. The emphasis on teamwork is cool and good.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Yardbomb posted:

Game looks like an even more lukewarm rear end version of FO4 where all the quests are Preston-tier nothingness, also no mods or unofficial patches so lol sweet gotta hope Bethesda actually care about having functional QA and patching for the first time ever, also Bethesda having to be yet another studio that decides they need their own exclusive platform for the only 1-2 games they'll lock away on it, also the performance looked like poo poo in their own in-house conditions and they have like 2 weeks to fix it which yeah fat chance.

Yes, them having a proprietary launcher is A+ dumb. Its a sandbox game, the quests aren't the focus and I've never given a single poo poo about a Bethesda games quest. I've played their crap since Daggerfall and I cannot remember a single quest having impact or mattering. I can only hope that they actually QA their game like a professional studio which lol. I'm fully expecting down servers and their stupid launcher not really working.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

i like pip boy

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Veeery funny, Cream of Ple- wait, you're not...

... OH NO! :ohdear:

mormonpartyboat posted:

i like pip boy
:barf:

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I wonder why they didn't let the games journalists play the game on high-end PCs with their choice of either controller or mouse and keyboard to ensure the footage looks as good as possible with no framerate drops

I can't imagine showing a bunch of PC-oriented people playing an unoptimized game running on poo poo console hardware is so good for PR. It's like their PR guy is a total dumbass or something

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

PR guy is pretty terrible.

Concerned players: "How are quests handled?"

PR guy: "Well who loving cares? It's a sandbox game basically, with coop. Like craft your story. To have NPCs do anything other than attack you would be extremely lovely."

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Minorkos posted:

I'll buy it when it's like ~$10 or in a bundle, but I have no idea if I'll enjoy it or not. On one hand, I tend to enjoy flawed open world games, like AC: Unity, Watch Dogs 1, Agents of Mayhem and, cough, Fallout 4. On the other hand, I bounced hard off ARK and Conan: Exiles.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Minorkos posted:

Nah man. Bethesda is banking on the game selling well regardless of anything else but nobody wants to buy a game with a 40 on metacritic. I doubt this will make it to the first major dlc drop (especially since Bethesda is saying cosmetic micro transactions will finance the dlc).

On some level I think Todd Howard is realizing this which is why they’re putting so little effort in. It’s a vicious cycle

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I never got why some people want every game to have some kind of multiplayer or coop.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Megazver posted:

I'll buy it when it's like ~$10 or in a bundle, but I have no idea if I'll enjoy it or not. On one hand, I tend to enjoy flawed open world games, like AC: Unity, Watch Dogs 1, Agents of Mayhem and, cough, Fallout 4. On the other hand, I bounced hard off ARK and Conan: Exiles.

Conan Exiles stinks. That one was really disappointing. ARK is ok.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
My Fallout 76 Theory: The 'no NPCs' thing is a huge misdirection by Bethesda to mess with us.

Most AAA multiplayer games these days have 3 main acts. Act 1 is leveling up from 1 to max level, Act 2 is when you first reach max level, Act 3 is the high end raid/content only available to well geared and organized players.

My hope is, we have only seen Act 1 of Fallout 76, hence the stress test NDA. Once we exit Vault 76, the seemingly thriving towns have all been killed off by a mysterious source, and we get hints that Vault-tec and the US Government are having a power struggle over the local missile silos. Once we reach a high level and figure out the early mysteries, Act 2 begins. We discover where all the people went, we unlock new areas of the map that have proper NPC run hubs with quests and high level content. Valut-tec becomes the main antagonist similar to the Institute; a shadowy force that pulls the strings without having an actual army to do the fighting. Act 3 starts when (free) DLC and expansions are introduced along with new game mechanics and multi-group content is added. Game is 2019 GOTY.

At least that's what I hope happens. :ohdear:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Starks posted:

Nah man. Bethesda is banking on the game selling well regardless of anything else but nobody wants to buy a game with a 40 on metacritic. I doubt this will make it to the first major dlc drop (especially since Bethesda is saying cosmetic micro transactions will finance the dlc).

On some level I think Todd Howard is realizing this which is why they’re putting so little effort in. It’s a vicious cycle

Well, they did allegedly persevere with The Elder Scrolls Online despite lukewarm initial reception and remade it into something better. Or so I've heard, at least. I haven't tried it since I tried the open beta and got bored after a couple of hours.

They might stick by this as well and, cough, add some NPCs in a DLC or something.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Starks posted:

I'm at least 80% sure that Todd Howard never wanted to make this game in the first place, dude simply doesn't seem to like multiplayer that much. It seems more likely the concept for the game came into being when some higher-ups at Bethesda told Todd to make use of the Battlecry devs and make a minecraft/rust clone with Fallout 4 assets. Now I have no proof of this but I also think Todd secretly wishes this game fails because he doesn't want the future of Bethesda Game Studios to become multiplayer games

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 11, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The sequel name is going to be really weird.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

It will be called Fallout 1

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Megazver posted:

Well, they did allegedly persevere with The Elder Scrolls Online despite lukewarm initial reception and remade it into something better. Or so I've heard, at least. I haven't tried it since I tried the open beta and got bored after a couple of hours.

They might stick by this as well and, cough, add some NPCs in a DLC or something.

They didn't make ESO

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Minorkos posted:

I wonder why they didn't let the games journalists play the game on high-end PCs with their choice of either controller or mouse and keyboard to ensure the footage looks as good as possible with no framerate drops

I can't imagine showing a bunch of PC-oriented people playing an unoptimized game running on poo poo console hardware is so good for PR. It's like their PR guy is a total dumbass or something

It's all about the money. That sweet sweet Microsoft money. Same reason the B.E.T.A is launching a week early on Xbox and why they are having an early beta before that which is also Xbox only.

Also, sales for Fallout 4 were significantly higher on consoles than it was on PC, so backing the console version first and foremost makes the most sense from a business standpoint. You don't want them to show off how awesome it looks on PC in all the early videos of it just to disappoint the largest section of their gamers when they buy the game on console. If you show off the worst version, then the people who buy that version will be happy that the game wasn't misrepresented, while the PC gamers get to be impressed at how much better it looks/performs on their system than it did in all of those early videos.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

They didn't make ESO

Intricacies of how they shuffle assets around inside their corporate structure aside, ESO and F76 are both made by side-studios formed for the purposes of working on this poo poo and published by Bethesda the publisher. Close enough for me.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

you do seem genuinely confused, yeah

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't get why making a fallout game in a different genre is so bad? FO4 came out in 2015, not that long ago.

I'm actually into a rust/days/7 days to die sort of game in the universe.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I don't understand how playing coop fallout 4 could be bad. That's the one thing I've always wanted in a Bethesda game, coop. And if it means gutting their usual lovely storylines then so what

Glenn Quebec posted:

Wow, I just read the last dozen pages. Why are people getting so salty about this game? It's coop Fallout???

Yes my dude.

*from the front row of the audience* play a different song! boo!

Haha but seriously, people genuinely have a different opinion than you do and they keep articulating why at length!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

So, when the game launches and we are all playing and it's fun + good reviews, what happens to the people who are chomping at the bit about how terrible it is that there are molerats when according to a terminal in Fallout 1 they came about 10 years after the first vault opened?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Caps being the post nuclear apocalypse currency outside California is pretty easy to handwave given the setting. The original explanation of why people used caps was dumb. I think it would have been better if they had just left it as a silly joke instead of trying to make it believable.

lol

Wow. What an rear end in a top hat thing to say.
[/quote]

Between Hines saying gently caress the canon of the isometric games and Howard saying "fallout fans are hung up on the old isometric games" I get the feeling Bethesda doesn't like their brand of fallout getting compared unfavorably to Interplay, Black Isle and Obsidian.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

But FO3 has such nuanced moral decisions of 'nuke the town y/n'. How could it be considered a garbage game?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SwitchbladeKult posted:

From what I'm told that's not just a Bethesda thing nor even limited to the video games industry. Doing cold reads of scripts you only received the morning of recording is common. That's why having a good director is paramount.

It depends on who's doing it. You only receive the script when you come in, but a good voice director will also provide sufficient context and information about the character, setting, motivation, etc. to give the actor a lot of information about what they're doing and why. Video game companies that leave everything a complete secret and don't even tell the person what they're working on are usually doing it just to save money by not encouraging the actor to negotiate for higher pay for a big job.

Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey have done a lot of Q&As and interviews about voice acting work. On Fullmetal Alchemist, she played Lust and he played Roy Mustang, who kills her. They have a running tally of when one of them kills the other, and they thought it was just going to be another jokey addition to the death count as Travis was going in. Turns out they recorded Lust's death screams first to cue Travis off of, so he had to experience his wife painfully burning to death and had a bit of an existential crisis in the booth.

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Minorkos posted:

It will be called Fallout 1

They'll call it Fallout One, to avoid confusion

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Microsoft doesn't give a poo poo if the game looks bad running on their hardware. They shelled out a lot of money to Bethesda to get their exclusive first look at the game. Quality be damned they only care about sales numbers and if people think to buy it on Xbone rather than another platform they consider it a win.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Agent355 posted:

But FO3 has such nuanced moral decisions of 'nuke the town y/n'. How could it be considered a garbage game?

Is it really a bad thing to purge a Church of Atom from the Wasteland?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Caps being the post nuclear apocalypse currency outside California is pretty easy to handwave given the setting. The original explanation of why people used caps was dumb. I think it would have been better if they had just left it as a silly joke instead of trying to make it believable.

Sounds pretty fine to me. They're hard to counterfeit without the specific machines that made them and they're backed by water, which is an incredibly vital resource in the desert wasteland. They're actually a really sensible currency that follows the general rules of real currency from early civilization (hard to counterfeit, backed by something directly valuable to life instead of precious metals that may lose value).

Having caps as currency with no explanation on the East Coast is what makes no sense, and is just "Well, Fallout did this before and fans will recognize it so just put it in."

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
i hope they put pip boy on every bottlecap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Vinylshadow posted:

Is it really a bad thing to purge a Church of Atom from the Wasteland?

It reminded me of Bioshock --> Murder Infant? Y/N

Actually that's not fair. It at least had a bit more story behind it.