Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Has anyone tested to see if the handgunners firing towards the center of a unit flag only bug was maybe a silent fix in this patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

drat those patch notes are huge. Still wish they'd rework the Old World skill trees to match the WH2 standard though, even if it breaks saves.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Gonkish posted:

drat those patch notes are huge. Still wish they'd rework the Old World skill trees to match the WH2 standard though, even if it breaks saves.

Doesn't steam let you roll back versions? How is this a valid justification?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

NeurosisHead posted:

Has anyone tested to see if the handgunners firing towards the center of a unit flag only bug was maybe a silent fix in this patch?

From a dev on their forums:
"We did a lot of small improvements to pursuit attacks and charges. As for missile behaviour when obstructed, that will need to be looked at in a future patch (it is high on my lists for things to fix). "

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

KPC_Mammon posted:

An official patch breaking save games would lead to a ridiculous avalanche of bitching?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

An official patch breaking save games would lead to a ridiculous avalanche of bitching?

It's the TW fanbase. They bitch about everything anyway.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Blinks77 posted:

Right, but this would be a reasonable thing to bitch about

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

KPC_Mammon posted:

Yes it does, you can just choose to install whatever patch version.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Blinks77 posted:

Launch updated skill trees as a free optional DLC instead and have them bitch at it not being an official patch.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Wouldn't just resetting all skills and allowing players to respec after updating solve all those concerns, or is that what people would bitch about?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Haha I deleted my starting army as Wood Elves and now I'm making real progress!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm having the most fun empire game ever. It's just insane Thunderdome. I'm not even trying to be friendly with most factions (except my boys up in Kislev) and fighting 2 v 1 stacks with big Karl. I think I'm enjoying it so much because after all this time playing I think I understand the mechanics perfectly, so I can make bad decision for fun since I know what the tough outcome will be.

E: like I haven't felt under pressure in a bad way once, it's very much "oh wow three stacks vs one hey Ostland, well its time for you to taste the might of the empire".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also defeating two stacks at once and then reforming an incredibly beleaguered line to face the last one coming in at full strength is a cinematic, beautiful experience.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Mukip posted:

From a dev on their forums:
"We did a lot of small improvements to pursuit attacks and charges. As for missile behaviour when obstructed, that will need to be looked at in a future patch (it is high on my lists for things to fix). "

Im glad they are aware of it. I actually wondered if it was intentional at some point, to change the game up a bit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think Greenskins should get the Norscan confederate mechanic and Wood Elves should get a special vassalize mechanic to make amber generation and money generation easier and not make you erase the drat map to expand. (That's a really bad gameplay mechanic in my opinion; any mechanic that incentivizes blank homogeneity and elimination of player choice is a bad mechanic.) I would like to be able to play as fey manipulators and not a horde of maniacs razing civilization.

edit: lol it's turn 19 and Lothern has confederated Cothique.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 19, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wood elves are weird because yes you need to raze but they're also grotesquely overpowered in campaign. So I agree it's a bit boring but you're also angry trees and elves that are erasing all bullshit life from the face of the earth and replacing it with beautiful nature.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

I think Greenskins should get the Norscan confederate mechanic

feel like I just now saw a mod that does this... ah.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1269568588

I haven't used it so I dunno how well it works.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Put me in coach I'm ready to blow it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I think wood elves should turn the climate of a territory they raze (alternatively, give it as an additional option) into magical forest, and Chaos turns stuff into Chaos Wastes. It would be an interesting spin on colonizing anywhere - terraforming areas making it harder or easier for other races to occupy those regions.

Then take the previous AI autoresolve advantage dwarves had and give it to Skaven. Blammo, the whole world will end up a Hellscape of Skaven and Dark Elves unless you are proactive about keeping them in line early on. Dark Elves are the only ones that can easily occupy chaos wastes so any converted climates will easily get taken by them, and Skaven will just expand everywhere and put tons of pressure on all their neighbors.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm signing up for the tourney. I am not very good, but let us battle like goons of old.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JBP posted:

Wood elves are weird because yes you need to raze but they're also grotesquely overpowered in campaign. So I agree it's a bit boring but you're also angry trees and elves that are erasing all bullshit life from the face of the earth and replacing it with beautiful nature.

Having looked at their objectives and some guides I think Wood Elves need a total revamp. Right now you basically glom on to an alliance bloc and make a bunch of money razing, only to win by fighting a battle back home. There's not much interactivity with the chaos invasion or with other factions, no reason to go any place in particular. There's no overall thrust to the campaign, like Dark Elves reconquering Ulthuan and ravaging the coastlines of all the good factions, or the Empire trying to pull together in time for the Chaos invasion, or even Hexoatl conquering Lustria. Their mechanics tend to make things less interesting. It's kind of a bummer.

I think the Wood Elves could be improved with a more robust set of missions for them, like the Will of Arielle or ancient forest spirit grudges sending you to random places to pick fights with factions, vassalize certain human factions or raze certain dwarf holds. Give amber and money for doing this stuff and get away from bulldozing the map or clicking the diplomacy screen for your cash and amber.

A lot like the Tomb Kings books that are hidden all over the world and give them objectives that nobody else cares about.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So Norsca in WH2 when

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gridlocked posted:

So Norsca in WH2 when

Not for a long while. May is what I've seen itt.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

JBP posted:

Not for a long while. May is what I've seen itt.

Fark. Awkardly they are getting updates in the TK patch

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So anyone played Beastmen in ME? Worth a bonk at all?

I'm gonna be honest here: the Wood Elf hats are a lot more discouraging than I'd thought. I may start an Empire campaign just for the hats and to see if the Empire mod for different regions having different colors works.

For example:

What the gently caress is this? Does this look better on higher graphics settings?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 19, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm gonna be honest here: the Wood Elf hats are a lot more discouraging than I'd thought. I may start an Empire campaign just for the hats and to see if the Empire mod for different regions having different colors works.

Beastmen are ok but settle anywhere kind of ruins things since you are constantly getting back filled before chaos corruption spreads. On the other hand you can just hit the high seas and go fight anything that takes your fancy without worrying about it, which is fun. I recommend an old fashioned monster mash against lizardmen.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Arglebargle III posted:

If you mean "Area of Recruitment : Empire" then I love the idea of that mod, except that the modder hasn't made technology upgrades apply to the variant units so it's pretty much unusable. Also he says that you need Crynsos' faction unlocker but it seemed to work fine without it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nah it's the bunch of submods "Imperial Vanguard" etc that needs a startpos mod to work. Fingers crossed here. TBH Greenskins and Tomb Kings are on my list for campaigns, but it looks like Da Boyz are getting a bunch of changes next week so I decided to try again with Wood Elves after some people in the thread had some good things to say about them.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Arglebargle III posted:

For example:

What the gently caress is this? Does this look better on higher graphics settings?

That's her hair, not a hat at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I know duder but still. :wtc:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I dont know posted:

That's her hair, not a hat at all.

What is hair but a hat that takes time or effort to remove.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

JBP posted:

I'm having the most fun empire game ever. It's just insane Thunderdome. I'm not even trying to be friendly with most factions (except my boys up in Kislev) and fighting 2 v 1 stacks with big Karl. I think I'm enjoying it so much because after all this time playing I think I understand the mechanics perfectly, so I can make bad decision for fun since I know what the tough outcome will be.

E: like I haven't felt under pressure in a bad way once, it's very much "oh wow three stacks vs one hey Ostland, well its time for you to taste the might of the empire".

Empire is a wonderful and beautiful and perfect faction. Scrappy men with beards, hats, and a love for hammer-catholicism is all they need. When you understand how to best use all the various units and have the economy to support it, it's the funnest fights and the most fun. The fact that everyone wants to kill you isn't even that big of a deal, you can kill them back deader.

I want to play Empire but I do not want to burn myself out about it before Tomb Kings. I might just do an Empire playthrough and then do a Cataph's Southern Realms mod playthrough for TKs.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

Fark. Awkardly they are getting updates in the TK patch

The updates reduce the Norsca budget and income presumably to prevent them sending the scent of Scandinavia all over the north endlessly.

Same as the Dwarf nerf in the patch, it sounds like they're listening to complaints.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Beffer posted:

Same as the Dwarf nerf in the patch, it sounds like they're listening to complaints.

Yeah, I might actually get to kill an orc thanks to this change.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Ralepozozaxe posted:

What is hair but a hat that takes time or effort to remove.

if your hat doesn't require time and effort to remove you don't belong in warhammer

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Agnostalgia posted:

if your hat doesn't require time and effort to remove you don't belong in warhammer

removing a hat of the Empire takes no time at all!

now, putting that fucker on, very different story

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Really tempted to build that Black Pyramid of Nagash after having wiped out those sacrilegious placeholder undead for not being Tomb Kings.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lakedaimon posted:

Really tempted to build that Black Pyramid of Nagash after having wiped out those sacrilegious placeholder undead for not being Tomb Kings.

If you build it

they will come.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always build that nerd pyramid. I feel like it's fitting to build a bunch of walls, anti corruption buildings, and money makers in that province too. I feel like it's fitting for the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I'm playing a heavily modded Empire campaign. SFO, Formations, Rebanner, and JR's Old World Skill Tree. Somehow they all kludge together. The result is tons of stacking bonuses...that the AI also gets as well and uses pretty well. Right now I am in world war Z barely fending off legions of undead on my eastern borders, oh yeah and I chose an event that made Beastmen spawns more frequent (for funsies) which means I am actually fighting Beastmen stacks with accompanying Brayherds for once. Dwarves are still a powerhouse but are kept in check by Vampire Counts and Red Eye.