Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Proud of Michael for escaping this txoci environment and going on to marginal success in early aughts Canadian indie rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlsjEP7L-k

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

To celebrate our impending transition to better ownership, here is a bumper patch of Fingerporis.

In Finnish the word for an "arch" something and a sheet of paper are the same.

These kinds of signs are very common in stores. Stores want to sell you a 24 pack of beer or soda, and don't want people breaking open the boxes to just get a couple.

The Finnish words for "kantele" (the instrument) and complain/tell on/tattle on are the same.

E: beaten on the last one, damnit

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Phantom dad looks like Iggy Pop in a Phantom suit.

What do you mean... it's been Iggy this whole time?? :confused:

Ps. If someone is looking for a comic font, SF Arch Rival is pretty good (and free)!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Iggy should always be shirtless.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: O'Mahoney - 'Yar-har-fiddle-dee-dee, being a pirate is alright by me!', or O'Mahoney does not believe in the saying that one wields power as long as one does not exercise it, or Slavin takes news of the ship's destination poorly

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love this thread so much

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Dick

Duck

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Osama Bin Laden, not a mean enough guy. Wow.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

The first appearance of Pepper in Bad Machinery! He's a Good Boy.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Nov 17, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 12-13, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby

(Mar 21, 2016)

I know somebody exactly like this.

(Jun 9, 2020)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

No, these are not ways to win an internet argument.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yes they are!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

NO, they aren't!

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Toivo Rönkä is landlording, Anja Koskinen tries to run her clothing store and Rauno Santanen wants to get his slingshot in order. All will end up in very strange, but maybe not too surprising, places later in life.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

What really dates this is that it was published a few months *before* 9/11. OBL was a known terrorist, but not a major figure at the time. It's an amazing coincidence that McGruder picked *him* for the punchline.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

StrixNebulosa posted:

tbf it’s only January of 2001 in boondocks world

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

In the original Korean this kind of place is literally called something like the job seeking center even though it's commonly understood to be a government assistance center for many other things, like say stipends or credits for childrearing in a country with a very low birthrate. The joke here is that Mr. Kang (whose name I know because he was a regular in the Chief Dharma days) has never heard of such institutions before so of course the literal interpretation is all he has to go on.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

curtadams posted:

What really dates this is that it was published a few months *before* 9/11. OBL was a known terrorist, but not a major figure at the time. It's an amazing coincidence that McGruder picked *him* for the punchline.

Well, Al Qaida had attacked WTC in 1993 and US embassies in eastern Africa in 1998 and then USS Cole in 2000. There was also a plot to murder Bill Clinton while he was at a summit in Manila in 1996, but this was revealed by intelligence agencies. And AQ was personified in OBL, so I would call him a rather major figure already.

But imagine if these strips had coincided to run like a week before 9/11... :tinfoil:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

It's been established that Tinkersons guy is from PA, right? This is an extremely Pennsylvania/Philly strip.

I am.... cautious about the SA transfer. I know nothing about Jeffrey, I fully expect Lowtax to reneg/stiff on this before things go through, and I've got a feeling there will be some bullshit clause where Rich still gets money off the site somehow. I guy that just lost his easy $10K a month isn't just going to hand over his only valuable asset super-chill.

Adam

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nevermind the credit card, how is there Amazon in what simply must be the mid-80s?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nevermind the credit card, how is there Amazon in what simply must be the mid-80s?

smartphones and covid references say otherwise

Billingsley is just a mental fossil

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Vargo posted:

It's been established that Tinkersons guy is from PA, right? This is an extremely Pennsylvania/Philly strip.

based on the pizza place and amusement park he poorly pasted the logos from i think its set in altoona

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think Billingsley's incompetence is more fascinating than Boyce. Billingsley's world is amazing: We have modern tech but use circa-1999 "netspeak on it", we make nothing but 70's B-movies and the kids all listen to modern hip-hop, which is actually early '90s hip-hop.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/thatbennybee/status/1276318961299263496

This came across my time line and oh *god*

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nenonen posted:

No, these are not ways to win an internet argument.

Nenonen posted:

NO, they aren't!

In some nutty way, I guess I win!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Toivo Rönkä is landlording, Anja Koskinen tries to run her clothing store and Rauno Santanen wants to get his slingshot in order. All will end up in very strange, but maybe not too surprising, places later in life.

ALAB

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Little Nemo In Slumberland - September 23, 1906

Holy poo poo. All I can say is, drat that’s a fine elephant.

As a rare poster, I also absolutely cannot stress how much comfort and delight this thread has given me over the years. I started reading it a year or two before the Dance Party era, and I swear that is still the hardest I’ve ever laughed in my life. These forums and this thread in particular have influenced me for around half my life now, and I couldn’t be more grateful. An enormous debt is owed to everyone who’s posted historical comics - I’m confident that this is one of the largest and most complete archives of the art form. I love you all so, so much.
I was getting genuinely scared that I and we might lose this, and it was genuinely emotional for me. I’m pretty confident that Jeff will do a generally good job and not abuse anyone IRL. And the ‘tax is a provably bad businessman, so I’ll call it right now that all he’ll be able to negotiate for is the front page.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 26, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Amazing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Ray Smuckles hang out. This is canon.

Tina's Groove Classic (November 13, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (November 13, 1998)

Garfield Classic (November 13, 1988)

This Sunday strip is an excellent example of what was lost when the Garfield archives got completely wiped from garfield dot com and moved to GoComics. :( Look at the detail lavished on those backgrounds, squelched.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

The last panel of the second one is the best comic timing I've seen in Zelda, it's astounding. That's a really good gag.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo, you gotta wrap it up man. Nachos, loving, people have it all figured out. You are kind of like an idiot who keeps pressing the same button.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Arlo and Janis

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe

hell yea

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vargo posted:

I am.... cautious about the SA transfer. I know nothing about Jeffrey, I fully expect Lowtax to reneg/stiff on this before things go through, anders I've got a feeling there will be some bullshit clause where Rich still gets money off the site somehow. I guy that just lost his easy $10K a month isn't just going to hand over his only valuable asset super-chill.

I hope we get some transparency over this. It'd suck if we go back to business as usual and find out in a few months that nothing really changed other than who claims to own the place.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks

Garfield Classic (November 13, 1988)

This Sunday strip is an excellent example of what was lost when the Garfield archives got completely wiped from garfield dot com and moved to GoComics. :( Look at the detail lavished on those backgrounds, squelched.

This site seems to have every Garfield strip at a readable size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Angular Cyrus posted:

This site seems to have every Garfield strip at a readable size.

Hot dog, that's terrific. Thank you!

How Wonderful! posted:

Arlo, you gotta wrap it up man. Nachos, loving, people have it all figured out. You are kind of like an idiot who keeps pressing the same button.

I'm ready, dogg. I'm callin' Brooke McEldowney.