Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
all the internet loves Håyard-Günnes LLMC, the cute mercenary company that flies planes!

edit: we regret to inform you that Håyard-Günnes LLMC are on trial at the Hague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

CourValant posted:

And if you enjoyed how those incendiaries lit up them unprotected civilians and livestock, don't forget to hit that like and subscribe button! Its the only way we'll know to give you MOAR of that sweet, sweet warcrimes!!

Until next time, for more of that phosphorus burning goodness, keep it locked here with Hired Goons!!!

Sweet warcrimes for Jesus. Remember, we’re trying to cash in on the religious crowd, now.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Blech. Do we look like Blackwater Xe Academi the US Department of Educational Security to you?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

That’s what the focus group responded to when the people in marketing interviewed them. You might not like it, but God sells these days and it’s a market we could fill.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

HereticMIND posted:

Sweet warcrimes for Jesus. Remember, we’re trying to cash in on the religious crowd, now.

bibliosabreur posted:

Blech. Do we look like Blackwater Xe Academi the US Department of Educational Security to you?

Do you know the truly disturbing thing about writing this sort of drek?

How utterly brainless and easy it is; everyone, anyone, can churn out a 3 hour show script 5 days a week of this stuff.

Play to the hopes, fears, and insecurities of the lowest common denominator, throw in a few "I have the answer because God told me so and you can access the Power through me", find a blonde woman willing to stand next to you, and you too can pack a Mega-Church.

And now I'm depressed; I'm going to lie down.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

CourValant posted:

Do you know the truly disturbing thing about writing this sort of drek?

How utterly brainless and easy it is; everyone, anyone, can churn out a 3 hour show script 5 days a week of this stuff.

Play to the hopes, fears, and insecurities of the lowest common denominator, throw in a few "I have the answer because God told me so and you can access the Power through me", find a blonde woman willing to stand next to you, and you too can pack a Mega-Church.

And now I'm depressed; I'm going to lie down.

OOC I’m deeply sorry for trying to force this joke on you. Hell, I didn’t even expect it to survive this long.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

HereticMIND posted:

OOC I’m deeply sorry for trying to force this joke on you. Hell, I didn’t even expect it to survive this long.

:respek:

OOC No worries friend, I know you were joking and I didn't take it personally; its just that the current state of the national discussion and discourse is getting to me, and try as I might, I'm having a difficult time laughing it off.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We can become bigger than Jesus. Or have a better k/d ratio anyways.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

RandomPauI posted:

Given how badly RNGesus ditched us last mission, I wouldn’t be surprised if we founded our own religion

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

RandomPauI posted:

Very important question, can we make our munitions do 360 noscopes? Because we could probably expand the brand by uploading videos with lots of dubstep and zooms to youtube with that sort of footage.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Very important question, can we make our munitions do 360 noscopes? Because we could probably expand the brand by uploading videos with lots of dubstep and zooms to youtube with that sort of footage.

Both the IRIS-T and the Python-5 (IIRC) can engage targets behind the firing aircraft.. :getin:
No idea if any of our BVR missiles can or if CMANO models this though.

A search for "Gripen 360 Noscope" on YouTube found this video, btw. I can definitely see HG pilots film themselves during an op and either livestream or upload the video to YouTube .

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 4, 2018

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Sell it to our Patreon subscribers. :20bux: a month gets you all the 360 footage you want from your favorite pilot.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
Something I've been wondering since the last OP. I remember when the planes still airborne ran out of radar missiles chasing Wild Willie's support craft some still had IR seekers left. Why not use them? Or guns? Seems a wasted opportunity to have viable weapons left and not try to shoot some undefended support planes.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
For the Gripens, we normally set their ROE such that they return home after expending all their long-range missiles. This is intended to stop them from closing in with IRIS-Ts and being lost unnecessarily, which was a semi-regular feature over the Bering Sea; unfortunately, this could also mean that their heaters never get used even when they might be. The extra caution, I think, is not a bad thing.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Lee Outrageous posted:

Something I've been wondering since the last OP. I remember when the planes still airborne ran out of radar missiles chasing Wild Willie's support craft some still had IR seekers left. Why not use them? Or guns? Seems a wasted opportunity to have viable weapons left and not try to shoot some undefended support planes.

Because then we'd be closing to range of the enemy's missiles as well.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Speaking of Greek F-4s, I think one overflew a soccer match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHP0qUreiDQ

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Hey hey, finally caught back up with this thread, and just in-time for a Civvie vote!

I vote let them in, these people have been good to us, this is their home, plus if w leave them out to dry when the bombs fall, we can kiss our 20% discount at Arber's Bar goodbye and let me tell you I am not going back to Liridon's bar to pay a mark up for a lovely Moscow Mule!

Also for the bomb shelter, this obviously should be the bunker theme song.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

HEY guyyyyys welcome to my STRIKE OOOOOPPPP today we're going to be taking on some GNARLY BOMB RUNS over ALBANIA

Looks like the sub-focused version of the game came out yesterday if that's your jam. Personally I'm in it for the airplanes.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

why. who would want this.

Soooooooooooo, funny enough I just started my new curriculum at the squadron and looking at our multi-crew mission simulators, some of the interfaces look very similar to CMANO, its going to be interesting to see how they work compared to the game.

And hey, if I'm training for ASW, then the ASW version of the game could make my homework a little more fun :downs:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Soooooooooooo, funny enough I just started my new curriculum at the squadron and looking at our multi-crew mission simulators, some of the interfaces look very similar to CMANO, its going to be interesting to see how they work compared to the game.

And hey, if I'm training for ASW, then the ASW version of the game could make my homework a little more fun :downs:

get good at the mission builder and pitch your command to pick up some licenses for the professional version.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

gently caress. Stop. Things just got interesting. Stop. Wayyyyy too interesting. Stop.

On a more constructive note, Yooper, can we move the SA-22s to higher ground? Their missiles don't work so well when terrain blocks their LOS).

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Well then! Flankers and Fulcrums and...some type of bomber, oh my!

Hmm, by Tu-22, do they mean Blinders or Backfires? Rather different threat profiles there.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

gently caress. Stop. Things just got interesting. Stop. Wayyyyy too interesting. Stop.

On a more constructive note, Yooper, can we move the SA-22s to higher ground? Their missiles don't work so well when terrain blocks their LOS).

Yes. When it comes time for planning phase we can pre-position them wherever it makes sense.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Davin Valkri posted:

Well then! Flankers and Fulcrums and...some type of bomber, oh my!

Hmm, by Tu-22, do they mean Blinders or Backfires? Rather different threat profiles there.

Afaik blinders don't exist anymore and seem like a poor 3dp candidate. Along with the underlining this probably means backfires so :derp:

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Saros posted:

Afaik blinders don't exist anymore and seem like a poor 3dp candidate. Along with the underlining this probably means backfires so :derp:

Oh man, I hope that those Backfires aren't armed with Kh32s. That would make this mission very..... interesting indeed.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Too bad we weren't able to seize the sub last campaign.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
if someone is 3dp tu22s that means we can get one at least

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

quote:

TU-22M Backfire
:captainpop: :captainpop: :captainpop:

We're going to get a lot of mileage out of those Sky Bows, I think. On the upside, these heavy bombers are anything but stealthy so we should see them coming. On the downside, armament profile includes cruise missiles. If they know we've got the Sky Bow (and they should) then their mission profile is going to necessitate neutralizing them before sending in the bombers to level the base. So, SEAD strike, then cruise missile strikes. Possibly conduct SEAD with a ground strike, some kind of mechanized/armour element? The other way to play it would be to can the SEAD altogether and go in fast and low, riding the treetops at supersonic speed and hope the terrain masks them long enough to get in range, but that's some Cold War poo poo and our low-level air defense is ace.

Each Backfire has an internal weapons bay and two external pylons. Internal weapons bay can mount 6x Kh-15 cruise missiles (300km range, 350kg warhead) in a revolver magazine or one Kh-22/Kh-32 cruise missile (600km range, 1000kg warhead). Note that the Kh-22P variant is an anti-radiation missile. External pylons can mount either 2x Kh-15 or 1x Kh-22.

Knowing this, I'd dedicate one unit of Backfires to SEAD with the Kh-22Ps, that's six cruise missiles to nuke anything radiating. Then bring in the other unit of Backfires to level the base with the Kh-15s. If we've only got one or two then put Kh-22Ps on the external pods and the Kh-15s in the internal revolver, again same mission profile, SEAD with the Kh-22Ps and ground strike with the cruise missile spam.

this poo poo.

Remind me, what's the range on our Sky Bow? What's the range on our radar sets? Can we beat 600km radar range?

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 22, 2018

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
"Meet at Klub-K"?

Weeeellll...this could mean a number of things. Foremost among them is the Tomahawkski, which would account for the "sea" part of that.

Life's getting interesting!

e: also of course Oksana would be the one sending telegrams :allears:

bibliosabreur fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 22, 2018

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

bibliosabreur posted:

"Meet at Klub-K"?

Weeeellll...this could mean a number of things. Foremost among them is the Tomahawkski, which would account for the "sea" part of that.

Life's getting interesting!

Tomahawkski ain't the half of it, the Klub K seems to be the really nasty anti-ship variant with the supersonic second-stage sprint. Those things are bloody difficult to deal with and if we end up having to rely on our ship point defences against a saturation attack it's probably curtains.

The exact Tu-22 in question is interesting, I'd expect Oks to know the difference between the Tu-22 Blinder and the Tu-22M Backfire but we have to plan around a rain of Kitchens and then be glad if we avoid it. Su-27s and MiG-29s should be easy meat for the Gripens but we have to get the Gripens up first and we're probably going to have to take marginal engagements with the Akefs just to keep up with numbers.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hold the bloody telegraph; who did we piss off enough to warrant this kind of response?

As far as I can tell, most of our actions in theater have been low intensity (we've been messing around with Top Soar, for cripes sakes).

Who wants us out bad enough to sling this much lead downrange?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Russia?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Right, why though?

We've been on their To-Do list for awhile now, and we've gone out of our way to not antagonize them.

So, why are they mobilizing against us now?

I feel like we're missing something on the HUMINT side.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

CourValant posted:

Right, why though?

We've been on their To-Do list for awhile now, and we've gone out of our way to not antagonize them.

So, why are they mobilizing against us now?

I feel like we're missing something on the HUMINT side.

Remember the fallout from the mission before last? ROMARM and its CEO were cheesed off enough to buy out an entire 3DP line of a very effective aircraft. I wouldn't be surprised if he had contacts reach out surreptitiously for older former Ukranian Tu-22Ms, or even made contact with Russian cutouts.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Former Ukranian is the best bet, they sold off something like 300 of the things. Buy a dozen or two, cobble together a working flight out of that. God help us if someone out there is 3DP'ing the bastards.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tolko glaza guna :laffo: goon eyes only

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I don't think Yooper would TPK us intentionally but we have gotten a little big for our britches. And it'll help cut down the planes he has to keep track of. :v:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Threat Analysis

"MiG-29"
Most likely candidate: Romanian MiG-29 Fulcrum A (1989). Retired by the Romanian Air Force in and put in storage in 2003 - bought up by ROMARM?

Possible upgrade/alternative candidate: Ukrainian MiG-29 Fulcrum A (1992), which adds incendiary cluster bombs, 122mm rockets with penetrators, and anti-runway cluster bombs.

Key loadouts:
A/A: 2x Alamo-A (45 nmi), 4x Archer (10 nmi)
Bombing: 4x FAB-500M bombs, 4x Archer (10 nmi)
Bombing: 8x FAB-250M bombs, 4x Archer (10 nmi)
Anti-runway: 2x BetAB-500SP Anti-Runway bombs, 4x Archer (10 nmi)
Rockets: 10x S-13B 122mm rockets w/penetrators (2 nmi), 4x Archer (10 nmi)

Likely role:
1. Strike (most likely)
2. A2A (less likely)

"Su-27"
Most likely candidate: Ukrainian Su-27S Flanker B (1992). Since Ukraine seems to have been annexed by Russian, and Russia is unlikely to give up their precious modernized Flankers, these seem like a likely possibility.

Key loadouts:
A/A Max: 2x Alamo-C (70 nmi), 2x Alamo-A (45 nmi), 2x Alamo-B (45 nmi), 2x Archer (10 nmi)
Rockets: 20x S-13B 122mm rockets w/penetrators (2 nmi), 2x Alamo-A (45 nmi), 2x Archer (10 nmi)
Anti-runway: 4x BetAB-500SP Anti-Runway bombs, 2x Alamo-A (45 nmi), 2x Archer (10 nmi)
Bombing: 4x FAB-500M bombs, 2x Alamo-A (45 nmi), 2x Archer (10 nmi)
Likely role:
1. A2A - clear out our CAP and then shoot down our climbing interceptors.
2. Strike - hit the runway or support facilities at low or medium altitude (unlikely, since the Flankers are better used for A2A).

"Tu-22"
This couild be the Tu-22 Blinder or the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-22M]Tu-22M Backfire. The Blinders are no longer in serivce and were pretty bad, so I think the Tu-22M is a more likely threat. They're more capable, but also fairly rare.

The Ukrainian ones got scrapped post-Cold War, so that leaves us with three sources for these: museums, 3DP, or Russian lend-lease.

If it's Russian lend-lease, we're looking at these: Tu-22M-3M Backfire C - which have the nasty anti-ground and anti-ship AS-4 Kitchen D missile (two max with 601.9 km range), and a variety of other bombloads, including two ~6,500lb FAB-3000 bombs, eight ~3,000lb FAB1\-1500 bombs, fifty-two ~1,100lb FAB-500 bombs, or up to sixty-nine ~500lb FAB-250 bombs.

If it's a museum job, there were an old Backfire B and aBackfire C sitting in the Ukraine. Maybe they got refurbished. They have the same basic loadouts as the newer Russan backfires, just with older, shorter-ranged Kitchens.

Likely role:
1. Standoff strike with AS-4 Kitchen D (targeting the Dutch frigates, bunker exits, or runways)
2. Stand off DEAD with AS-4 Kitchen D (targeting Ground Master, Sky Bow, I-HAWK, etc.),
3. High-level bombing (targeting facilities and runways - less accurate, but safer)
4. Low/Mid-level bombing ((targeting facilities and runways - more accurate, but riskier)

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
And that's not including the more modernized variants packing AA-12s.

It really depends on who's organizing this strike on us, and critically, how much pull they have with the Russians (ranging from "close to none" to "they're a branch of the kleptocracy"). Old Su-27s aren't too much of a threat, but the newer Flankers and Fulcrums are legit dangerous, and the worst-case scenario is that the Russian security forces are "lending out" a handful.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
:catdrugs::catdrugs:Strategic bombers:catdrugs::catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Question from the peanut gallery, why is it that no one has tried using a big strategic bomber with bays full of Meteors as an air superiority craft?

Is it because the range is too short and the target too big? It seems to me that our Gripens are basically Meteor delivery systems anyway and don't do huge amounts of dogfighting so wouldn't turning that up be the logical conclusion?