Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

He [28M] says he doesnt ever have time for me [23F] and wont define us. Should I leave?

I cant believe she cant find placement with a masters degree in side chicking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

I know this is very Pax Americana, but just tell us yhe drat Spanish show — no one’s gonna watch it just because she was so into it.

I was a couple pages back catching up on the thread and I thought surely someone else would have picked up on it by now but nope, apparently everyone glossed over the buried lede of the distraught telenovela-watching 16 year old sister who had an abortion "two years ago" :staredog:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Porfiriato posted:

I was a couple pages back catching up on the thread and I thought surely someone else would have picked up on it by now but nope, apparently everyone glossed over the buried lede of the distraught telenovela-watching 16 year old sister who had an abortion "two years ago" :staredog:

Wrong way round. The sister is 20, OP is 16.

Barudak posted:

I cant believe she cant find placement with a masters degree in side chicking

I don't think she's even side chicking. They've been dating three months and he hasn't seen her for two of those - he's just not that into you!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Evil Willow posted:

He [28M] says he doesnt ever have time for me [23F] and wont define us. Should I leave?

All the other girls with their S.Os and me with my... one month dating... guy I know?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

darkwasthenight posted:

Wrong way round. The sister is 20, OP is 16.

Well that would be why everyone else glossed over it then.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Pirate Radar posted:

I assume it’s Money Heist, which is currently huge on Netflix. Is that not being hyped in the US?

If that's how casa de papel is being translated then I wouldn't be surprised. I've got colleagues who won't stop going on about it.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Evil Willow posted:

Grieving stage: Anger

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yes, your super secret spy boyfriend is definitely telling you, the foreign chick he banged once, the he’s a super secret agent and can’t tell you any more.

Girl just got side chicked AND True Lied.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Yes, your super secret spy boyfriend is definitely telling you, the foreign chick he banged once, the he’s a super secret agent and can’t tell you any more.

I mean, banging a foreign woman once, then never seeing her again IS pretty on brand for James Bond

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Even Bond stick to some bullshit story about being a salesman or something.

Also I think it’s a theme of the Bond reboot that basically everyone he fucks or cares about dies, things aren’t looking good for side chick.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I know this is very Pax Americana, but just tell us yhe drat Spanish show — no one’s gonna watch it just because she was so into it.

I assumed it was Elite, a netflix show about rich teens in boarding school. I'm pretty sure that show is entirely love-triangles and murder.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Having an affair with a rando foreign grad student while you have a wife and kids can definitely be a problem for anyone with a security clearance come time to renew.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

ilmucche posted:

If that's how casa de papel is being translated then I wouldn't be surprised. I've got colleagues who won't stop going on about it.

Yeah, that's the English title. It's a pretty good show.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Invisible Clergy posted:

...you lost me. They are very clearly pushing their religion on you. It's hard to think of a better example.

Seeing the words from a religious text written down on a food bag just doesn't meet what I consider pushing religion.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Invisible Clergy posted:

That's adults, though. Asian kids don't pull the "picky eater" poo poo because their parents will not indulge them.

kids are naturally picky eaters because food aversion is a survival strategy. what counts as being 'picky' is relative. a lot of chinese people think cheese is the most insane food and don't want anything to do with it. which is valid, i mean it's salted rotted milk, pretty loving weird on paper. why not make tofu out of something normal instead of rotting milk, you weirdos

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

i agree, it's pretty implausible that anyone who works for the federal government would be extremely busy right now

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 15, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Seeing the words from a religious text written down on a food bag just doesn't meet what I consider pushing religion.
Would it happen to be because you are Christian?

luxury handset posted:

kids are naturally picky eaters because food aversion is a survival strategy. what counts as being 'picky' is relative. a lot of chinese people think cheese is the most insane food and don't want anything to do with it. which is valid, i mean it's salted rotted milk, pretty loving weird on paper. why not make tofu out of something normal instead of rotting milk, you weirdos

I don't really think it's reasonable to count that. Asian people don't like milk and cheese because it makes them sick. They're not just being petulant brats like people who post to r/relationships

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Invisible Clergy posted:

I don't really think it's reasonable to count that. Asian people don't like milk and cheese because it makes them sick. They're not just being petulant brats like people who post to r/relationships

uh mongolians eat a lot of cheese dude. specifically i'm talking about china here. the fact that cheese and dairy are a food of steppe nomads is probably another reason it didn't really become a staple of the traditional han diet, and cheese is a food which is totally central to many western (and asian!) cuisines but is entirely loving weird from other perspectives because you make it by letting milk sit in a cave until it gets moldy and smells like rear end. picky eaters exist all over, we don't need to proclaim that the seven year old just needs to harden up and start eating fish eyes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

Kids in China being picky eaters is an endemic complaint. Its a natural trait of people, and parents can wean them off of those behaviors, but its not something exclusive to the west. My brother in law basically only ate steamed buns and congee until he was 6 or 7 because he was a picky as hell eater.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for thinking my husband should share perks with the family?

quote:

I am a sahm. My husband owns his own business. I support him as best I can, and do practically everything outside of work a paying job/pay the bills. I am given x amount a month for food or anything family related. Theres rarely any "my personal money" left, So I can't really save if I want something.

Whenever the business does well, or because of the line of work he's in... It comes with perks and windfalls, Maybe in the form of tickets somewhere, to international business+leisure trips, points to spend in certain shops, or just straight up sizeable extra earnings.

In a 3 year span he has:

traveled internationally (few days business, then extends a few days for leisure) 4 times.

Bought himself designer shoes, watches and sunglasses.

Bought himself a luxury sports car, 5 x the cost of the family car.

Had numerous nights out and experiences, shows, dinners, box seats, etc.

The latest thing that prompted this post was this morning he says "these points on xyz account were going to expire so I just bought myself......"

And I zoned out. Immediately frustrated. Bought myself..... bought myself.....

It ended up being ~$200 worth of stuff.

"Did you even think about anything we (being myself or kids) might want or need?"

"they're MY points. I earned them. If you had points maybe you'd get something too!"

I retaliate "I don't have the ability to earn myself ANYTHING remember? We agreed on this dynamic? And have discussed several times that it still works for the family? So no, I do not have ANY ability to earn anything and it all has to come from YOU, so stop pretending 'earn your own poo poo' is a valid argument because it doesn't apply here"

He stormed off mumbling he deserves it and he rarely does anything for himself.

I'm seeing a total disconnect between that statement and all the things he does and gets....

... When my days are spent living frugally and practically in subservience. It's hard to see someone frequently getting the things they want and I don't get to advance or share in the benefits of something we as a family unit helped create.

I don't want all of it. I rarely even want things anyways.... But the fact it just immediately goes to him frustrates and devalues me. I asked to upgrade the family car and suddenly "it's not as simple as that. Wait 6 months and I'll see" that was 2 years ago.

I feel fully justified, then he makes me feel like the world's biggest ungrateful spoilt rear end in a top hat. Hes right, we have a stable home, we are fortunate in many many ways, I am thankful I get to raise our children and be there for the little moments. And he's right.... I don't earn money. How can I want things when I don't earn anything?

I'm the first to admit he works harder and has a more difficult time than I do, definitely. So if he's fulfilling his duty as a provider, shouldn't he get to keep the extra perks? Then why do I feel so left behind, lesser, and powerless over my own life?

Am I the rear end in a top hat for thinking he should share bonuses?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Invisible Clergy posted:

Would it happen to be because you are Christian?

Looking for some kind of gotcha?

I've posted earlier that I was raised atheist. I guess that does make me quicker to roll my eyes at other atheists though.

I just think that simply seeing words written down is an extremely low bar to be considered pushing a belief. Especially in a context where nobody said anything, just on a bag you're throwing in the trash.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

:sever: (his spinal column)

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I think its fair to say that there's some economic element to it, like if you gave an old Indian person who lived through the partition or the Bengal famine (like my grandparents!), cheese pasta, they'd eat it albeit grudgingly, but as economies open up and different cuisines become more easily available, more affluent families are definitely going to display picky eating (based on what is *weird* in their culture) as a result of not having food anxiety.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spacetoaster posted:

I've posted earlier that I was raised atheist. I guess that does make me quicker to roll my eyes at other atheists though.

I just think that simply seeing words written down is an extremely low bar to be considered pushing a belief. Especially in a context where nobody said anything, just on a bag you're throwing in the trash.

thought experiment: why do you think the writer is writing on the bags

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Not really?

I read most of the thread on mobile, so I can't see people's avatars and don't really keep track so well of who posted what. Why does being atheist make you side against other atheists? I don't think I understand the connection.

SC Bracer posted:

I think its fair to say that there's some economic element to it, like if you gave an old Indian person who lived through the partition or the Bengal famine (like my grandparents!), cheese pasta, they'd eat it albeit grudgingly, but as economies open up and different cuisines become more easily available, more affluent families are definitely going to display picky eating (based on what is *weird* in their culture) as a result of not having food anxiety.

Makes sense to me. Indians don't have a rule against milk/cheese, though. Paneer is pretty common in north Indian cooking for example. I was talking about asian asians, who are lactose intolerant.

AITA for telling my GF to quit using Lysol wipes to wipe her rear end?

quote:

After washing my face I threw my cotton pads in the garbage and a brown stained cloth caught my eye - it looked like it was stashed underneath all the other trash and if you ask me I think it was purposefully hidden. We’ve been running out of Lysol wipes (we have the antimicrobial kind) really quickly but I chalked that up to us obsessively wiping all the surfaces so I didn’t think much of it till now. Upon further inspection with gloves and while holding my breath there was a big pile of the same brown stained porous cloths that looked just like the Lysol wipes.

I knew this might be a difficult topic to broach so I tried to do it gently. I casually asked if she’s noticed our wipes seem to be running out quickly. I then asked if she’s been using them for anything frivolous and she started to get defensive, saying no and asking why I’d ask her that. I cut right to the chase and said that I found some Lysol wipes in the bathroom bin and asked if she’s been using them to wipe. Uncomfortable conversation for many, I know. She looked away and admitted to it in an embarrassed voice. When I pressed further, her reasoning is that it gets the job done better than regular TP because she has to keep wiping and wiping and wiping but with the wipes she’s only got to wipe a few times before everything’s ok.

Look, I’m not the smartest tool in the shed but theres’s no way that those things are good for your nether regions. I said why don’t we just get baby wipes/flushable wipes, she said that’s pointless because the Lysol wipes can be dual purpose which saves money. I proposed investing in a bidet and she said that’s pointless and we might not even be able to do that because we’re renting and idk if our landlady would be able to allow us to, which is a fair point. But I just can’t get over it. I told her that she should stop it because we need it for other, better things and she said I should quit being controlling and leave her alone because she’s doing nothing wrong. I just can’t let it go though. This is so bizarre. Surely I’m not the only one who feels this way?
I can't wait for the roni posts about what people use as toilet paper to get worse in a month.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

To warn that he's tampered with the food going to you, a stranger he knows only as "Steak burrito, black beans, white rice, no pico"?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for telling my GF to quit using Lysol wipes to wipe her rear end?

THATS NOT WHAT PEOPLE MEAN WHEN THEY SAY THEY BLEACHED THEIR rear end in a top hat, LADY

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Invisible Clergy posted:

Not really?

I read most of the thread on mobile, so I can't see people's avatars and don't really keep track so well of who posted what. Why does being atheist make you side against other atheists? I don't think I understand the connection.

I guess it does seem that way (taking sides).

But I just don't think it's pushing a belief to see symbols/writing about it on a bag that you can completely ignore with no consequences.

I'd agree with you if it was a boss putting his personal beliefs into stuff at work.

The OP can just throw it away. Or never shop there again. Or call them and tell them why he's never shopping there again.

Instead he's refusing to even eat the food because he believes some words, that he doesn't even believe, written on the bag make it haraam.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

What Bible verse would one use to communicate that I made sexual congress with your order?

Edit: the quote made it look like I was sassing someone when I was just being sassy

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 15, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, this guy gets it

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

What Bible verse would one use to communicate that I made sexual congress with your order?

Ezekiel 23:20

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for moving my [26m] girlfriend’s [24f] doll out of our bedroom?

quote:

My girlfriend, who I’ll call Jess, and I have been together for 2.5 years. We moved into an apartment together in August of 2019 and everything has been great. We rarely fight and if we do, it’s just insignificant bickering over small things. I even plan to propose to her soon, and we have discussed marriage and kids more than once in the past.

Jess has a doll that her late grandmother passed down to her. She always has it on display because it reminds her of her and “brings her peace” (her words). The doll never bothered me much, besides it being a little creepy; I’m freaked out by dolls and clowns and the like. It was a bit uncanny that it was always in her room staring at us while we had sex and slept, but she was adamant on not moving it and I let it go because it was her room and her apartment. However, since we’ve been living together, I’ve started pressing her more about moving the doll. She keeps it in the corner of our bedroom facing perpendicular to our bed, so it’s not looking straight at us (a compromise we made) but it still makes me uncomfortable at times. For example, I’ll walk into the room or walk out of the bathroom and forget that the doll is there, and it will scare the hell out of me.

I work at a pharmacy and she works at a grocery store so we’re both essential workers. Today when I came home from work, the doll was now on the other side of our bedroom, facing our bed. Since she was at work, I didn’t ask before moving it to the living room, just outside the bedroom door against the wall. I took a shower and a half hour nap, and woke up to her shaking me and asking me why I moved her doll. I told her I didn’t want it staring at me while I slept, and told her she shouldn’t have moved it to where it faces the bed. She should have known not to do that since we compromised on it before. She burst into tears, called me a “loving inconsiderate rear end in a top hat,” grabbed the doll, and left the apartment. It’s been three hours and I have no idea where she is. I’ve called her phone and it goes straight to voicemail. I’ve called her sister, her best friend, and her mom and none of them have heard from her. I’m starting to get really concerned and I feel extremely guilty at this point. If she isn’t home by morning, her mom and I are going to try and file a missing persons report.

AITA for moving her doll?

Tl;dr: I moved my girlfriend’s doll from our room to the living room while she was at work and she got mad and left, haven’t heard from her in hours, I feel like a complete rear end in a top hat

ETA: I should add something that may be significant: the doll is not small. It’s about the size of a 5 or 6 year old child. It is also flexible, as in it can be positioned.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA For Requesting a Refund After An Employee Wrote Bible Verses All Over My Takeout?

Okay this is weird. My husband and I ordered door dash tonight and we requested from a small restaurant in town. The thing is, EVERY takeout item they wrote some sort of Bible verse. Upon looking on their website they don't appear to be overly religious. I just think it's really messed up to push your religion on someone like that and I wish I would've ordered elsewhere. What do you guys think? Was this over the top and I'm justified in requesting a refund?

Edit: since a lot of people have asked. No I have not eaten the food. I would never eat food and then request a refund that is an automatic AH in my book.

don't request a refund, it's just a pain in everyone's rear end and could strengthen the verse writer's belief that they're fighting a culture war. No good would come of it

if the Bible verse is something innocuous like "be good" then stop being a baby

if the Bible verse is some hateful poo poo don't buy there again

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This woman needs to try and imagine a world in which she's married to a man who likes her.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for moving my [26m] girlfriend’s [24f] doll out of our bedroom?

Well, this one's not getting an update. That doll's definitely killing him.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Is it outside the realm of possibility that it was the DoorDash person that wrote the Bible verses?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Invisible Clergy posted:

Well, this one's not getting an update. That doll's definitely killing him.

Pretty soon they're going to have a big argument about who moved the doll that ends with them realizing that it was neither of them

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Is it outside the realm of possibility that it was the DoorDash person that wrote the Bible verses?

fair enough

new conclusion, do nothing and move on

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Maybe God wrote it just so she could play tricks on idiots.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Did we ever get an update on the wife with the secret upstairs?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I get that there are larger cultural concerns surrounding evangelicals pushing hard to reify their lovely beliefs into US law, but I feel like "wrote Bible verses on packaging" is about the same level of "pushing religion on you" as "included images of Doritos as part of a promotion."

Like, it'd be weird for someone to hand-draw a Doritos logo on all your packaging, but they're not like denying you the food unless you say "Doritos rule!" or saying they'll only serve Doritos eaters or covering your food in crumbled Doritos.

Again, writing Bible verses on someone's packaging is really weird and definitely trying to advertise their religion, but it's an exaggeration to call it "pushing," as though it were forcing you to participate beyond seeing words some doofus thinks are important.

(I'd still have talked to a higher up about it because that's weird and kind of offputting.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
About that dude feeding his kids offal,

It takes a giant rear end in a top hat to go from not being able to cook to jumping straight into exotic meats and offal without learning the basics. Either he's buying garbage ingredients for cheap which no one should be eating anyways, or he's wasting a ton of money on sourcing ingredients that he's essentially flushing down the drain by not being able to prepare it properly. I've been doing the amateur cook thing for 20 years now, and am quite successful at it, and I wouldn't bother wasting money on planning a week's dinner like day 1 - offal, day 2 - Sundae, day 3 - alligator meat, day 4 incredibly spicy Rogan Josh. No one, not even adults, wants to eat that poo poo every moment of every day. A well made steak and salad goes a long way.

Not to mention a good chef doesn't need a gimmick to make good food

Guilty fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 15, 2020