Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

For various definitions of "can", but even noodle armed Time Mages can two-shot a wild nakk with mythril daggers. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wait, Time Mages can't use flails? Isn't it a staff?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ultrafilter posted:

Wait, Time Mages can't use flails? Isn't it a staff?

They can, but mythril daggers would be more reliable.

To Protect Flavor
Feb 24, 2016
All three of my runs so far this year have had black mage. Weird, but, hey, three more runs than I finished last year.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Demi and Stop are surprisingly useful for Karnak and the Library.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mega64 posted:

Demi and Stop are surprisingly useful for Karnak and the Library.

Emphasizing this. A common fallacy is that, since gravity spells are percentile and thus have rapidly diminishing returns even on things they do work on, they're not worth using.

This is not correct and when you're doing ~110 damage per flimsy knife-shank, being able to shave off 750 out of 1000 hp in two casts is hugely efficient. Suddenly you've taken a ten turn slog and turned it into less than half the time.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yeah, Gravity can be good although I kinda wish there was a multi-target version (same with Stop, it's rare to find a good single target where you want to risk it). Speaking of, I got !Time enough this Fiesta I noticed that Slow has a higher hit percentage so it's better than Slowaga on single targets.

Oh good, new page. I know I'm the one that posted all those Goblin Punch webms but I'm really glad they're gone lol.

Run 6: Summoner, Red Mage, Mystic Knight, Chemist

Jose Valasquez posted:

0 power Chicken Knife on NED :toxx:

Mustached Demon posted:

Useless Great Sea Trench :toxx:

https://files.catbox.moe/m5fuek.webm

Anything interesting?: Summoner is nigh-broken, another really fast World 3. Because I had Chemist I could boost Leviathan at the end (it's not super worth it or anything but at least it's there) and not just knife-boosted Syldras. It's just kinda weird that exists and to remember it. Omega stuff: I got tired of !Spellblade whiffing so I just ended up using !Mixes. Also, I know the Algorithm Guide kinda says otherwise but I swear Resist Fire wears out eventually (ouch!). I'm also about 60% positive I saw a weird glitch involving a (failed) Rocket Punch on a self !Mix out of nowhere but I unfortunately wasn't recording it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Doom Goon posted:

Also, I know the Algorithm Guide kinda says otherwise but I swear Resist Fire wears out eventually (ouch!).

No, but if you switch your weapons around similar to how you would for resetting the Mirage Vest, it removes the Resist X mixes and possibly others.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I ran into the same thing. Eventually atomic ray would kill someone.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I seem to remember that happening before another year vaguely. I don't remember switching equipment there because it would remove !Spellbladed knives anyway (until I switched to just !Mix). This Fiesta I didn't really do any fancy shield swapping even though I probably should've a few times.

Doom Goon posted:

My Randomizer :toxx:
pre:
Summoner
	Default: !Zeninage
	Skill 0: 30 !Spellblade 1
	Skill 1: 55 !Black 3
	Skill 2: 85 Vigilance
	Skill 3: 160 !Spellblade 5
	Skill 4: 420 !Summon 5

Knight
	Default: !Blue
	Skill 0: 20 HP +10%
	Skill 1: 60 !Chakra
	Skill 2: 100 MP +30%
	Skill 3: 180 !Time 5
	Skill 4: 400 !Dualcast

Dancer
	Default: !Gaia
	Skill 0: 10 !White 1
	Skill 1: 55 !Hide
	Skill 2: 90 !Steal
	Skill 3: 180 !Flee
	Skill 4: 270 Equip Sword

Thief
	Default: !Dance
	Skill 0: 25 Berserk
	Skill 1: 55 !Recover
	Skill 2: 85 HP +20%
	Skill 3: 200 !Dance
	Skill 4: 410 !Drink
Random screen color (wow, a legit nice one this time!):

Final run! Oh, I did this going through all areas without fleeing (Attack 0 Chicken Knife).

The Good: I've never gotten to use !Zeninage early as I don't run that romhack and boy does it destroy early bosses lol. I struggled a bit on Liquid Flame early but instead of having to do anything funky I found this out one-shoting it for 3-4k damage. !Dance is great of course and on top of the equippable one Thief got it as their default skill (especially nice with Equip Sword). I didn't notice it until Meatcastle but I did have !Steal (yay Genji Helmet?). I had all but the strongest !Spellblades, !Time enough for Hastaga/Slowaga, Float, and stuff, and all of !Summon (hello more Syldra boosts). !Drink was there but not being a default skill means it wasn't really used. Oh, Wonder Rod!

The Bad: Innate !Blue is there on Knight! But it doesn't come with innate Learning, so it's a dead slot. I had !Recover and !Chakra, !Flee even though I never fleed, a bunch of MP/HP bumps, Berserk (no explanation necessary, what am I gonna do put it on a Thief instead of the eventual Equip Sword?)... and Dualcast can be useful but it was Red Mage-quality (Cure was nice after Fire at least).

The Omega:
!Time was just under enough so no Quickleak, also no Thundaga or real healing. So I couldn't really cheese Omega. I really hate !Spellbladeing Omega (it misses soooo much even with knives) and nobody had an innate attack good enough that I could do any !Drink shenanigans without Reflect heals. Knight had good survivability but really that was it, so many wipes to reflected Atomic Fires and the Flamethrower.

What I ended up doing was Reflect Ringing most everyone, Slowing Omega (it's a thing) and Hasteing everyone I could through reflects (especially the Knight), and slowly working on it with Coral Sword !Dances and a little bit of Odin !Summons (until they wiped). I had a Shell on Wonder Rod but unfortunately relying on it reflecting means it missed with a 50% chance. Omega was slow enough that I could save all but the worst Maelstrom results (and I did, many times!) and usually attempt a !Dance twice before Search wore off. Thankfully after 96 out of 99 Elixirs (thank goodness for !Time, Wonder Rod, and !Stealing those White Flames in the Zone Forest) at LVL50 it was a done deal! 2nd hardest Omega this Fiesta.

Notice that my screenshot has a full AP bar? That means Omega actually was finished off from the HP Leak residuals from a reflected Rainbow Wind lol.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

ultrafilter posted:

Same :toxx: as last year. Use all twenty regular jobs and I'll donate $20 plus your job fair expenses (up to the total price of one of each regular job). Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon. There is no requirement to do this in exactly five runs, but more than that is a lot of FFV.

I got it!

I Job Faired Ranger, Thief, Time Mage, and Beastmaster. Time Mage and Beastmaster I got via the roll random button so that was $3 if that influences your toxx at all! Gilgabot was pretty kind to me this year aside from all the Monks. Fourth run nearly made me quit because it was so -boring- but I powered through and kept going after a week long break. Probably the most fun run was the Pure Chaos run with Beastmaster/Time Mage/Chemist. I had so many funky options to do stuff with.

And now time for something really stupid:

Time for the angiest solo white mage run. White Mage + Knight skills, Equip Axe, Equip Whip. We're playin' a Paladin, folks! Let's see how far I get before I inevitably ragequit.

E: I'll also be making use of Exp Up just for the sake of my sanity.

EE:

Karl down already.

Galick fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 7, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I think I'm just going to use the face value of the classes instead of the random rolls. It's easier bookkeeping for everyone that way.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Speaking of, here's mine: Run 1, Run 2, Run 3, Run 4, Run 5, Run 6. Totally tally:
$1 for Water Thief
$1 for Fire Samurai -> Blue (Patreon reroll)
$2 for Fire Samurai -> Red
$1 for Wind Ranger -> Monk
$2 for Water Samurai -> Geomancer
$3 for Fire Samurai -> Time
$3 for Earth Dragoon -> White
$4 for Wind Thief -> Summoner
$5 for Earth Monk -> Chemist
=$22 on the Job Fair in six runs (ouch). I guess that's what 4 dupe Samurais will get you.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I guess I'm just going to do whatever's easiest with rerolls. :shrug:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You can definitely trust me that I killed the Trex properly because what kind of idiot would let someone die to it and post a screenshot?

That leaves TWO WHOLE DOLLARS for someone to get by killing the Trex without exploiting its undead status!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

TheWonderTrickster posted:

Alright so my 4th run:
Knight/Dancer/Blue Mage/Red Mage

Nothing in the rules that states I can't fulfill multiple toxxes in one run so-

Honestly at first I was scared because I went for the 0 Powered Chicken Knife so I assumed the random battles will slow me down a lot. But once I got Aeroga, it was fairly smooth sailing. However, I had no items to sustain myself for NED and since I finished this toxx, I was free and didn't have to worry about any time limits.

Okay, it's time I stop being lazy and actually make the donation!

And here's the ICL donation:

Thanks to Princey and TheWonderTrickster for their efforts in escaping from Namek.

A reminder: I'll donate $10 to the Fiesta (aka to Color of Change) and $10 to the ICL for anyone who manages to beat Shinryu in 10 hours. The 8-hour challenges have both been accomplished, but there are 18 more donations I'm willing to make if anybody's interested.

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007
Congrats everybody. Playing this the first time def shows what an accomplishment these goals are. Now into the library with thief, time mage and beastmaster :hist101:

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
Ya girl done did it! (First time, zerker risk, chaos, and blind except someone told me how to beat Sandworm easily with my team. I never asked but that's what I get for not making more effort to keep shtum on the internet.)
Two berserkers, a samurai and a beastmaster. The BST and the SAM both did nothing but use healing items and !giltoss during the final battle. I let the zerkers die and just prayed for decent Grand Cross RNG.
That was super fun and engaging. Trying to hatch crackpot schemes to deal with certain bosses is an experience I'll be coming back for next year. Never pledged, but still chucked in $22 for 22 game overs.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Awesome, love hearing about first time players!

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I've never beaten FFV before but I have a fiesta party in world three and I'd kind of like to get them over the line. I rolled thief, berserker, geomancer, and chemist.

Thief is mugging with chicken knife
Zerk has agility, gaia hammer, and deathsicle (both of which seem kind of bad now)
geomancer is poking things ineffectually with a dagger when he can't squadwipe random battles with earth powah
chemist is doing chemist things (mix)

I'm assuming mix would be better than drink for the geo? his higher magic power seems to make drain kisses better than the chemist's

I'm led to believe that most of world 3 is optional. Given my party makeup, is there anything I really need to gather/do other than farming some turtle shells and dragon bits and buying a bunch of potions? Could someone please point me towards the path of least resistance?

moller fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 11, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's nothing in world 3 you need to do after the Pyramid, and anything locked by Fork Tower is probably not happening with that team. Run until your Chicken Knife is fully powered, give your Geomancer Mix, stock up on Chemist supplies, and you're good to go.

e: Make sure you get Hermes Sandals from Phantom Village. Those are the best accessory in the game by far.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 11, 2020

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

moller posted:

I've never beaten FFV before but I have a fiesta party in world three and I'd kind of like to get them over the line. I rolled thief, berserker, geomancer, and chemist.

Thief is mugging with chicken knife
Zerk has agility, gaia hammer, and deathsicle (both of which seem kind of bad now)
geomancer is poking things ineffectually with a dagger when he can't squadwipe random battles with earth powah
chemist is doing chemist things (mix)

I'm assuming mix would be better than drink for the geo? his higher magic power seems to make drain kisses better than the chemist's

I'm led to believe that most of world 3 is optional. Given my party makeup, is there anything I really need to gather/do other than farming some turtle shells and dragon bits and buying a bunch of potions? Could someone please point me towards the path of least resistance?

As long as you got the Aegis Shield in Moore Forest in World 2, I can't think of anything you'll need from the various dungeons.

-Make sure you get the Magic Lamp from behind Istory Falls, and definitely !Mix on the Geomancer. They can help the regular Chemist get the entire party to near-invincibility so that NED is a joke.
-Technically you can triple crown with just the Chemist but that's a lot of work especially as a new player.
-Fill up all your mixable items just in case.
-For your three Sealed Weapons, if you haven't gotten them already, I would say the Assassin's Dagger, Rune Axe, and Gaia's Bell for laughs. You can't really use the rest except the Sage Staff which doesn't bring much to the table with a Chemist.
-Give your Berserker Artful Dodger from Thief because I'm pretty sure Chemist/Geo don't transfer stats and AD is better than nothing.
-Hermes Sandals are a must.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Sweet! Thank you both very much for the info. Looks like I was pretty much on the right path.

Now to kill basically every turtle.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Also, if you can stall a boss to buff don't forget that !Drink is a really cheap (in terms of money/grinding time) that'll basically make you OP to anything not a superboss. For a couple grand or so you can be Protected (1/2 damage physical attacks), 2x Max HP, Hasted (if you don't want to grind for shoes), and a higher level (which effects most things including most status effect hit percentages) than what's possible normally. Just ignore Power Drink as it only effects Goblin Punch.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 12, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

Also, if you can stall a boss to buff don't forget that !Drink is a really cheap (in terms of money/grinding time) that'll basically make you OP to anything not a superboss. For a couple grand or so you can be Protected (1/2 damage physical attacks), 2x Max HP, Hasted (if you don't want to grind for shoes), and a higher level (which effects most things including most status effect hit percentages) than what's possible normally. Just ignore Power Drink as it only effects Goblin Punch.

Haste from Drink can be dispelled or overwritten by Slow, Stop or paralysis. Haste from Hermes Sandals can't be. They're incredibly broken and a must-have endgame accessory.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Not that sandals aren't great, but outside of grand cross how many fights that matter are there where those status resistances are actually relevant? Shin and Omega don't use them, and it's not like fuckin' Apanda and Calofisteri are meaningful roadblocks. I guess they help if you really want to fight Leviathan for some reason, but then why aren't you just wearing coral rings?

TBH the real status effect where sandals make a difference is Dead.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

NED and/or Treedeath can also Dispel.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I'm not saying don't get them, I'm just saying if you're shooting for the end you're probably grinding done and one turn to reapply Haste is a small price. Also, again, 2x max HP and insane levels will make all of that less painful.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

moller posted:

Death Sickle's loses value the further in you get, as the moment you hit the point where a Black Mage can get instant death bosses start becoming immune.

Gaia Hammer can be great, but only on SNES where you can stick a Thornlet on a Berserker and underflow their magic, making every Quake proc deal huge damage to everyone.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

How's Titan's Axe, anyways? It's got 91 weapon power so I'd assume its stronger than Rune Axe if you don't have any inheritable magic bonuses. Might be a reason you'd want to go to Istory Falls?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Arzaac posted:

How's Titan's Axe, anyways? It's got 91 weapon power so I'd assume its stronger than Rune Axe if you don't have any inheritable magic bonuses. Might be a reason you'd want to go to Istory Falls?

The Axe itself has +3 Magic, which means for as long as your Berserker's MP holds up, the Rune Axe is better at any level above 32.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Oh wow, even with the like, 5 magic they'd have?

That's crazy. Guess the Titan's Axe only for if you've got two berserkers and no inheritable magic.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Doom Goon posted:

I'm not saying don't get them, I'm just saying if you're shooting for the end you're probably grinding done and one turn to reapply Haste is a small price. Also, again, 2x max HP and insane levels will make all of that less painful.

I mean, unless you rolled freelancer (or gladiator I guess), you should pretty much always have enough junk equipment to sell to make actively grinding for sandals unnecessary anyway. Maybe if you ended up with all of black, white, and time you might be strapped for cash? Or if you've been extraordinarily aggressive with your !Zeninage use.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Arzaac posted:

Oh wow, even with the like, 5 magic they'd have?

That's crazy. Guess the Titan's Axe only for if you've got two berserkers and no inheritable magic.

Except the two places to get a Titan's Axe are a steal from Gigaflare-Charging Twintania (which you want to kill as quickly as possible) and Istory Falls.

In order to get to Istory Falls in any sort of reasonable manner, you need a class with inheritable magic. Even Mystic Knight passes on its magic stat, so literally everything that Omniscient allows can pass on a non-terrible magic stat. In order to "need" the Titan's Axe, you first have to get through the rugwizard with nothing but mage mashers.

If you have two berserkers and no magic stat, you give your other berserker either the Assassin Dagger or the Gaia Hammer until you can get the Thor's Hammer from the rift. If you have three or more berserkers and no magic stat, you've already committed yourself to praying for Gaia Hammer procs anyway regardless of MAG stat.

The Titan's Axe is slightly worse than the Brave Blade, is what I'm saying.

EDIT: Wait, no, the Titan's Axe has exactly one use that the Brave Blade doesn't: You can pawn it for 20k. The 91 Attack Power on the Titan's Axe is worth exactly 40% of an Elixir.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 12, 2020

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why does Titan have an axe anyway, he only fights with fists and earthquakes.

Hell his loving steal is a drat Gaia Hammer.

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007
Just hit the second world with Thief, Beastmaster, Time Mage, Samurai. Anything I should be keeping my eye out for/ making sure not to miss?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Did you stock up on rods before the end of world one? If not, you might have a slightly rough time. You'll want the Kornago Gourd and some Reflect Rings for the Exdeath fight, but other than that it should be pretty straightforward.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DrOnline posted:

Just hit the second world with Thief, Beastmaster, Time Mage, Samurai. Anything I should be keeping my eye out for/ making sure not to miss?

Since I remember this being your first time, I'll try to be as in-depth as possible.

• Go down into Galuf's basement when you get the chance and steal a Twin Lance from the statues there. It's their rare steal. It'll keep your Thief relevant in damage until you can get the power of poultry. You don't have to beat the statues, unless you want to grind AP, but if you choose to, just use Gold Needles on them for a one-shot kill; it's better than trying to slug it out with them (they're technically enemies from significantly later in the game so they take a lot of punishment and can deal it right back)
  • Buy Comet the first chance you get. It's Time Mage's only real means (outside of rod snapping) of doing damage to enemies that don't get affected by Gravity until the very last bit of the game.
  • Likewise, Hastega is an immediate priority when it's available. It should go without saying why. It's Haste, but for everyone! :pseudo:
  • As ultrafilter stated, there's an old man in the well in werewolf town that wants you to Capture a Kornago (or whatever it's called in the PSX version; they're the frogs in the swamp outside of Galuf's place that run away at low health - Stop and Gravity them for an easier time) and will give you a Kornago Gourd if you do. You want this for your Beastmaster, it changes the threshold for pokeballing enemies from 1/8 health to 1/2 health.
  • Also as ultrafilter stated, you might want to try to get 4x Reflect Rings. You can either get them as a rare drop from Reflect Knights in Barrier Tower, or as a common steal from Reflect Mages in your second trip to Exdeath'sX-Death's Castle. Your choice as to which you want to do, since there's a boss fight between the two that it can be helpful to have Reflect for.
  • Pick up Teleport from Galuf's place and Float from the other castle town on the map when you get a chance - you're in a rare position to use them, and both of them are incredibly nice to have. Float's pretty well hidden, though, if you're new, so don't be discouraged if you have to poke around to find it.
  • Every time you encounter Gilgamesh (aside from the first visit to Exdeath's Castle and the fight on the Big Bridge) you can steal a piece of Genji equipment from him. Make sure to do that if you can, your samurai will appreciate it.

Everything else should just be the usual "loot dungeons" standard; having the ability to see hidden passages means you'll generally not need to worry about that.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 12, 2020

DrOnline
Oct 21, 2007
Katarani- thanks so much for the detailed post! I'm confident in crushing this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hastega is a fantastic spell but Slowga is almost as good. The only thing better than making your party fast is making your party fast and making the enemies slow.