Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Gary Trent betting on himself for a career year. CJ looking smoother and buffer than ever. I like the addition of RoCo. Dame's looked not as good but it's still early.

Would you bet 100k on them to win it all?

I put 10 on it already. £10 not £10k.

I win £550 if they do it.

Quizzlefish fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

dokmo posted:

no formatting and the links are probably all dead, but here: https://pastebin.com/vHUWZVZU

Tyvm

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It was good for the Raptors to finally win a game, and it was good for them to bury an opponent like the Knicks. That said, the first half still didn't really inspire confidence, and the best thing about it was probably that Yuta Watanabe got minutes.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Op or mod should put that in a paste bin and put it on the first page. Welcome lurkers. ball is mfing love.

Since OP is an admin the task must fall to him.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Saw this and instantly associated it with Euphronius:

https://twitter.com/loggedtheFUCKon/status/1344887203579785216?s=19

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lockback posted:

VORP: I don't know much about this one. It seems ok. It sometimes likes weird things so I kinda ignore it.

Box plus/Minus BPM (and plus/minus in general):: In general be careful with +/- stats. BPM is pretty good but it can be influenced by things like coaching decisions, situational factors, etc. I tend to like +/- more for comparing guys on the same team. Game +/- shouldn't be used to say if a guy was good in a game, but it can tell you if they were on the floor when the game got away from the team.
BPM is actually an all-in-one stat like PER but translated into an estimate of plus/minus. VORP is based on BPM but compared to a replacement-level player.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Poku is serbian ak47 he's going to be unstoppable at full power

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

Poku is serbian ak47 he's going to be unstoppable at full power

no points just vibes

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Hand Knit posted:

Since OP is an admin the task must fall to him.

Mods can't edit admin posts? hmmm, the possibilities.

Added to the link to the top of the OP.

Stagger_Lee posted:

The basketball-reference mvp tracker with early-season low sample sizes is my favorite thing.

It's not..totally crazy. Till you get to the bottom names at least.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Welcome to all the new people. I look forward to all your hot takes and finding out your positions on Balkan historiography.. Ball is life and :justpost:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1345055988714512385

https://twitter.com/HammerDAHN/status/1344495292364824578

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Stat newbies, here's a hot tip:

Advanced stats are good when they agree with your take and meaningless nerd poo poo when they disagree.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Advanced stats are good when they agree with your take and meaningless nerd poo poo when they disagree.

if u want to both use some advanced stats but call others meaningless nerd poo poo u gotta learn the words Sample Size, or just continue to say Context Matters but do not explain the context no matter how hard the nerds try to trap you

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I'm just laying out newbie tips, advanced things come later (eras (basketball was bad until 2003), sample size, and so on)

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

all stats are good when they agree with your take and meaningless nerd poo poo when they disagree.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
What the hell Memphis

https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/status/1345007212196995072?s=20

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

That looks downright Pelican-esque. I'm used to seeing images used for injury reports because a 280 character tweet wasn't enough.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stagger_Lee posted:

The basketball-reference mvp tracker with early-season low sample sizes is my favorite thing.

stop the season and award the mvp based on this so my hot take in the zogopoll is right

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Hey newbs. Here are a few thread canon things I've picked up:

- Kobe wasn't as good as his reputation and is not a goat candidate. He was carried to all of his titles by Shaq and then Gasol. He was pretty good though.
- Kareem is unfairly eliminated from GOAT discussions
- Karl Malone is Lebron's father
- Some bigs who do cool defensive poo poo in their highlight reels are actually terrible at D, e.g. Whiteside
- Teams without a superstar that do well in the regular season are a mirage (e.g. DeRozan Raptors, Horford Hawks). Especially in the East.
- FG% is pretty useless as it is a function of how many threes you take and also how good you are at drawing fouls. E.g. Harden might go 10/25 and have a pretty efficient night if he had loads of FTs and 3PA.
- Owners are capitalist pigs, communism is good.
- Giving a massive contract to a poo poo player (e.g. mozgov) is actually good
- Ben Simmons is a coward
- Obama is bad
- I will get poo poo for this post

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

just a point of order: the more you learn about advanced stats, the more it’s gonna seem like “oh this guy is super efficient in limited minutes they need to be giving him more time” or “this guy sucks he takes too many shots”

and to that i say, somebody has to put up shots, somebody’s gotta put the ball in the basket, and shot selection is what haters use to bring down heroes

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Getting double digits in multiple stats in a game proves dominance and should be admired

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Quizzlefish posted:

- Kobe wasn't as good as his reputation and is not a goat candidate. He was carried to all of his titles by Shaq and then Gasol. He was pretty good though.

i learned here that mj was really good but also not a nice man

edit; there was a spin-off thread about it iirc and it was captivating

stone soup fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 1, 2021

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

stone soup posted:

i learned here that mj was really good but also not a nice man

edit; there was a spin-off thread about it iirc and it was captivating

Also the thread about his steroid use is amazing

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Ben Simmons hit a 3 in a game that counted and is therefore no longer a coward

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

The Glumslinger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YooPPm0AvPw

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Quizzlefish posted:

- Some bigs who do cool defensive poo poo in their highlight reels are actually terrible at D, e.g. Whiteside
- Teams without a superstar that do well in the regular season are a mirage (e.g. DeRozan Raptors, Horford Hawks). Especially in the East.
- FG% is pretty useless as it is a function of how many threes you take and also how good you are at drawing fouls. E.g. Harden might go 10/25 and have a pretty efficient night if he had loads of FTs and 3PA.
- Obama is bad

The acceptable choices for GOAT are LeBron, Jordan, and Jason Williams.

(I still insist it’s Wilt but I haven’t convinced anyone else itt)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the most important thing to pay attention to in the NBA is whether or not Derrick Rose is currently BACK or NOT BACK

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Zogobot how many 3NP is 1 3PM

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
MJ doing steroids is canon.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Deron Williams made it to the conference finals before cp3 people forget this

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Metapod posted:

Getting double digits in multiple stats in a game proves dominance and should be admired

more digits, better than, simple as

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Metapod posted:

Deron Williams made it to the conference finals before cp3 people forget this

Deron Williams fell off really quickly and is basically forgotten now, which sucks because at his peak it was a genuine debate where he ranked in the top 3 point guards in the league. From being traded for two players and two firsts to getting waived in four years.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/illiam_william/status/1345031135982743553?s=20

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Quizzlefish posted:

- Obama is bad

this is all unironically correct

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

crispyseaweed posted:

MJ doing steroids is canon.

As is the entire rosters of MLB from 1978 till 2004 for all you posters from those threads.

Also Brady is the GOAT but only in a system.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kingcobweb posted:

Deron Williams fell off really quickly and is basically forgotten now, which sucks because at his peak it was a genuine debate where he ranked in the top 3 point guards in the league. From being traded for two players and two firsts to getting waived in four years.

Deron is one of my like three favorite players ever but nah was definitely way worse than Paul, even if he lit him up head to head every time they played at their respective peaks. But yeah he was really good. One of the best crossovers ever.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it pains me to admit it because i hated that team, but the illinois team with deron, dee williams, and luther head ruled.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Quizzlefish posted:

Also the thread about his steroid use is amazing

why is no one posting these links

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

it pains me to admit it because i hated that team, but the illinois team with deron, dee williams, and luther head ruled.

that arizona game ruled so hard. Very sad but also incredibly college basketball that they had no counter in the national title game for Sean May being fat and impossible to box out

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Is he still a rookie though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

that arizona game ruled so hard. Very sad but also incredibly college basketball that they had no counter in the national title game for Sean May being fat and impossible to box out

Still kind of sad May never worked out, he had one pretty good year in Charlotte then injuries hit and he ate his way out the league.

I'm looking at the B-Ref page for that '06-'07 Bobcats team, and even though they stunk it's still interesting to see what a crossroads the league was at. You've got Gerald Wallace as a do-everything undersized power forward next to Emeka Okafor as an old-school boards-and-blocks center. There's a bunch of random imports like Primož Brezec and Walter Hermann when that suddenly became popular. Matt Carroll was one of the first major D League call-ups and a guy that basically just shot threes for a living. Rookie seasons for Adam Morrison and future takemaster Ryan Hollins.

I'm pretty sure that was the first team I actually watched game-to-game and it really set the tone for the next 20 years in Charlotte