Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Much overdue oil change. Note the engine is damp as gently caress with oil. That's a new development - I changed that front motor mount about 4 months ago, and it was completely clean and dry. :sigh: It's definitely coming from the front, and above the oil pan, so I'm hoping a new valve cover gasket takes care of it.

Finally changed this fucker. It was proper hosed.

I was ready to kill GM engineers after taking apart the RR brakes. I already have a strong dislike for touching drum brakes in general, but I haven't run into the giant half-moon spring before. Just glad I took a few pics of how it goes together, but I didn't have time to adjust the brakes because the shop was closing. Also didn't get the new cable hooked up before leaving, but I got it stuffed into the body channel.

Got home, my floor jack lifts the car, but started lowering it immediately, and it's pissing hydraulic fluid. :argh: I... did the needful and stacked a scissor jack on it, got it high enough, and immediately threw jack stands under the car. Brakes are now adjusted.

Turns out that cable runs under the carpet. I wasn't in the mood to pull the back seat just to get enough room to reach under the carpet and pull the cable, and the carpet on this thing is trash (plus I have floor mats to cover any... misdeeds), so out came the box cutter. I now have a working parking brake.

Next up: got the Passlock shits today (so I get to replace the ignition switch, or keep doing 10 minute relearns whenever it's unhappy... replacement is dead simple on this car), and the loving bushing on the clutch pedal turned to dust on me again. gently caress this loving car. I still have the part number from the last time I replaced it; initially ordered it on Amazon from a 3rd party seller (for nearly :20bux: :sigh:), then decided to call a local Chevy dealer. I gave them the part number, they said no local dealer had it in stock, but they can have it by noon tomorrow. I asked how much they'd ding me for it. $7. Immediately cancelled the Amazon order (and put a temp block on the CC i used anyway - good thing I did, they tried charging it 3 times before they replied to the request to cancel the order - order still shows active on Amazon, so I'm gonna keep the card blocked for now).

#justGMthings

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome. My jack is busted too, so I can't throw on a new mount at home. :shepicide: Overnighting a new strut mount from Rockauto and towing it to the DIY shop once it gets here.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Next week I might get the handbrake to hold the car after 4 years of messing with it

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

brand engager posted:

Next week I might get the handbrake to hold the car after 4 years of messing with it

Drum in hat style? You shouldn't need anything special...
If you have an adjustment at the hand brake, adjust it as loose as possible.
From the brake end, adjust the shoes out just until they start grabbing, then back them off a click or two.
Then adjust the hand brake until it takes up the slack in the cable.
If that doesn't work, you might have worn out shoes or another problem in the system.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

EvilBeard posted:

I'm just torn on whether to get the Pilot Sports or just go with something like Nitto or Continentals.

get pilot sport 4s they loving rule so hard

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

chrisgt posted:

Drum in hat style? You shouldn't need anything special...
If you have an adjustment at the hand brake, adjust it as loose as possible.
From the brake end, adjust the shoes out just until they start grabbing, then back them off a click or two.
Then adjust the hand brake until it takes up the slack in the cable.
If that doesn't work, you might have worn out shoes or another problem in the system.

Its rear drums with an adjuster that requires the drum to be off to set

E: found an old pic of it

brand engager fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 20, 2019

hraringly bloingler
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've been looking, and I don't see them listed online in 275/40R18. I see pilot sport 3+ in that size. I'll have to do some more digging.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Got tired of a) no heat in Winter, and b) ECU getting pissed that the engine never got warm enough to go closed loop on the Kia.

Just started doing that like 3-4 weeks ago, then every weekend since has been cold, rainy, bith, or busy, until last weekend, which was still a bit chilly, but tolerable. (Texas chilly, not, Canada chilly.)

Nearest I could think was the thermostat was hung open or otherwise opening too low, so I set out to replace it.

It's in there, somewhere:

After unplugging a million connectors and dragging the harness out of the way, better:

Schmutz:

OEM thermo has an internal gasket, and that seems to be munged:

Comparison with new Murray:

I slapped the water neck back on sans thermostat and flushed the coolant with straight water, running the car for a bit. Got most of the gunk out, I think. Radiator was replaced a couple of years ago, but I haven't changed the coolant from then. I need to remember to do that yearly since I'm using traditional green stuff.

Car got up to 170-180F idling, up to 190-200 on a test drive, and actually got heat out of the climate control. It seems a bit weaker than previous, but it is heat. May also still be burping - must remember to check coolant levels soon.

Moved on to the weeping cam cover seal from there. The cover was gratifyingly easy to remove:

Nothing too nasty in there.

New gasket set:

Old gasket was definitely done for. It was crispy as a cracker, and the spark plug tube seals were just as crunchy:

The gasket set included half-moon seals for where you have to use tools on the cam ends, but Kia used aluminum inserts with RTV (I think) on my year, so were unneeded:

Cleaned up the cam and beauty cover:

And then put it all back together:

No leaks that I could see, and no oil burning smells since Saturday, so I'll call it good for another 140K miles.

Next up: I guess I should flush and fill the brake and power steering fluid. Both are original, I think.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The thermostat on my old car failed in a similar way. It couldn't fully open either, because the gasket was also stuck in the spring, so it was running a bit warm in the summer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Darchangel posted:

Next up: I guess I should flush and fill the brake and power steering fluid. Both are original, I think.

Dumb loving question and in no ways mean to insult your intelligence but one of those double checking questions because when you are pissed and it is late and you might miss something thing. You oriented the t-stat correctly?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Dumb loving question and in no ways mean to insult your intelligence but one of those double checking questions because when you are pissed and it is late and you might miss something thing. You oriented the t-stat correctly?

No offence taken, it's a good question, particularly with this thermostat oriented the way it is (horizontally).
Yes, I put the jiggle pin at the top, after making sure that it actually jiggled.

I've seen advice before, not necessarily on this car, to remove the pin completely. In my case, the car isn't having any problem not overheating. Quite the opposite, so I left it alone. The factory one had a jiggle pin as well (in the same orientation.)

The Spectra5 has a know issue with completely burping the heater core. The customer complaint is sloshing noise heard under the dash, and possibly low heat. I'm actually not hearing the sloshing at the moment, and haven't since I replaced the radiator, come to think of it.
The service solution, by the way, is to jack up the front of the car as high as you can, and run it with the rad cap loose, until it burps. I didn't have it jacked up, but I did have it rolled down my inclined (and deadly) driveway with the rear tires in the gutter, so the cap should have been the highest point while filling.

I'm not worried about it - I get adequate heat by the time I'm halfway to work (12 miles) and the ECU is happy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cool (no pun intended).

It will probably burp out eventually.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

brand engager posted:

Its rear drums with an adjuster that requires the drum to be off to set

E: found an old pic of it

drat, what car is this? I've seen scarce few vehicles that don't have an external drum brake adjustment.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

it's a 2001 ford zx2

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

got the new tie rods in early so I was checking that the tool will fit them, and this has to be the worst made thing I've bought from harbor freight so far. None of the faces that are supposed to engage the inner tie rod nut are square. It looks like they cut a hollow in one big chunk of metal at an angle, and then cut that into slices to make each insert for the tool. But they didnt bother to grind the angle out

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Probably easier to describe with a picture

then cut into slices with different sized openings

but they didnt grind that face that was cut at an angle so they're all lovely

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Put the stock calipers back on the 240SX so I have some sort of functioning brakes when I move next month. I had to replace one as it was frozen.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
As I posted in the terrible thread, I ended up needing to use an umbrella stand plug and some aluminum foil as an oil cap this past weekend for about 15 minutes of run time. So, coming full circle, I pulled the plug out of the oil fill hole today with the help of a screw.

In the best interest of saving myself a lot of money, I pulled the valve cover and found no pieces of foil. Verified the valve adjustment I did about a year ago, which was still within spec.
I will be pulling the oil pan tomorrow to verify there is no foil in the sump or oil pickup, along with scratching the sneaking suspicion that my oil baffle vibrates against my oil pan.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Replaced trashed cam position sensor and discovered the battery voltage is low :bang:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Turns out that strut mount bolt that snapped has a torque spec of 81 ft/lbs.

Yup. That's 100% on me, I stupidly assumed that grade 8 suspension bolts should probably be gutntite. I should go ahead and get another strut mount ordered for the other side, at least that way when it also snaps, I can have a new one ready to swap.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Jacking up my car and the jack point crumbles to dust. Thankfully, there was enough metal left to not go through the rocker or bend it too bad, but it looks like I need to use the frame or crossmember as a jack point from here on out

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^ feel you on that one, my Lexus has had a harsh life driven through many winters without any care it seems as the underneath is slowly falling to bits. It only has to hold together until summer anyway.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
That reminds me of my midwest cars ... eventually the jackpoints rusted through and every pump of the jack sounded like you were stepping on a bag of cornflakes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nope. Never doing that. Never moving anywhere that happens. It's just too heartbreaking.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Replaced my dash bulbs with LEDs today. turns out a few of the sockets themselves are literally burned out. (left side of the tach, and top of the speedo has been intermittent)
I ordered 30 new sockets by mistake for ~$4 off ebay.
I'll do the job over when the new sockets get here, but for now this'll do.

Cameras make the unlit portions look much more lit than in reality.

I'll probably polish the plastic clear next time it's out.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What's the tool for this type of clamp called? Need to go find one tomorrow

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you're careful, you can use dykes to clamp that. Otherwise, it is an ear clamp crimper

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

brand engager posted:

What's the tool for this type of clamp called? Need to go find one tomorrow

Those are sometimes called “O” (or oetiker) clamps, the tool looks like some kind of cutter/snip that cuts end on, as opposed to diagonal cutters, dykes, or side cutters, which cut, uh, side on. Imgur is pulling an overloaded message, otherwise I’d put an image inline.

E: them shits (the ones I encounter at work come to a sharper edge, but you get the idea)-

glyph fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 22, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

toplitzin posted:

Replaced my dash bulbs with LEDs today. turns out a few of the sockets themselves are literally burned out. (left side of the tach, and top of the speedo has been intermittent)
I ordered 30 new sockets by mistake for ~$4 off ebay.
I'll do the job over when the new sockets get here, but for now this'll do.

I assumed you already tried flipping the non-lit bulbs by 180 degrees? LEDs are polarity-sensitive.

e: and IIRC those clusters are pretty finicky about the sockets/bulbs seating juuuuuuuust right anyway
e2: just noticed you said intermittent. yeah, those clusters are really finicky about the bulb socket being twisted in just right.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 22, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

STR posted:

I assumed you already tried flipping the non-lit bulbs by 180 degrees? LEDs are polarity-sensitive.

e: and IIRC those clusters are pretty finicky about the sockets/bulbs seating juuuuuuuust right anyway
e2: just noticed you said intermittent. yeah, those clusters are really finicky about the bulb socket being twisted in just right.

Like the bulb socket is melty and blackened.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh. Yeah, that'll do it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Car did NOT like sitting for a few days, guessing the valve guides are done (at least on #3). Had a flashing CEL with P0403 and a ton of smoke when I first started it. Smoothed out and got a steady CEL after a few minutes, moved it to the far end of my apt complex, and let it burn all the oil out. Took about 15 minutes of idling to stop smoking. :sigh: So yeah, no more money going into this outside of regular maintenance and critical low buck fixes (like the bad oil leak that started recently... turns out it's the oil pressure sender... cheap part, should take an hour and a half or so).

Requested a flatbed tow from AAA, since, you know, the front suspension was only held on by the LCA. Of course, a wrecker shows up. He assures me he'll strap it down well enough that the strut shouldn't escape, and his insurance will cover it if it does. I'd been waiting over an hour at that point (~20 minutes sitting in the car with it idling hoping it would stop smoking). No damage. I was worried the locator pin would drop out and let the whole thing start pounding the strut tower.

The strut mounts on this car are 2 pieces - you have the part that the actual strut bolts to, retains the spring, and has the rubber isolator. Then you have the top portion that bolts to the lower portion with 4 bolts, and bolts to the strut tower with... one bolt. Thankfully, I was able to swap the top portion.

Got home. Finally swapped in the power window switch and front corner lights I got from Joemama. Drivers window now rolls up easily, front of the car looks a bit better.

Replaced the bushing in the clutch pedal (again). Clutch no longer requires both feet holding the pedal against the firewall to launch.

When I showed up at the DIY shop with the car on the hook, the owner asked me what happened. I told him "remember when I did my struts? too many ugga duggas, the top mount bolt snapped on one." him: "too many ugga dug... ohhhh, :laffo: yeah I've done that before. at least you had AAA!".

CEL was off by the time I got home, though I made several stops on the way. Torque didn't show any codes whatsoever by then (though when the CEL was flashing, P0403 was showing as pending).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 23, 2019

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

I check fluids on my cobalt whenever I go to the gas station to fill up - second time in six years that the coolants been low. I topped it up, but I have no idea where it goes. It's a mystery.

In other news, my brother bought a sweet mig welder so I might be able to replace my rockers if I choose to do so.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Not sure why this failed inspection....
In other news, I keep putting my face into the windshield when I touch the brakes now.

I think I'd have passed if the car still had inner dust shields, but that in plain view... yea.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I am dumb and clumsy.

Last weekend, I pulled at the peeling corner of the lovely window tint on the rear window and ended up ripping the tint to pieces, leaving the window an ugly, hazy mess of delaminated tint and awful adhesive residue. Advice on the internet is all "don't do that" but light on what to do if I have already made a big stupid mistake.

The outdoor extension cord to run the hair drier was the most expensive* part of solving this. A basic razor blade scraper, a spray bottle of glass cleaner, and some heavy duty disposable rags were the main things, plus the plastic scraper was useful for cleaning up stray bits of glue. Now the window is beautifully clean and I have a pretty good idea of how I will tackle the other windows.

* until I find out that yes, I destroyed the defroster wires and replacing them will cost more than my $35 extension cord. But this is Australia so there's no rush on figuring that out. Like I said, I am dumb and clumsy.

But I can see out the back.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I was dreading that happening when I removed the lovely tint when I bought my car. I decided to go the steam route and it worked very well.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got the new tie rods and ends on yesterday, and I'm back at the firestone to get the front aligned again.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got my parking brake working

I had to set the adjusters to their max, but the shoes and drums are still within their limits. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^^^You need new parking break cables then.

I finally replaced the bulb in my HVAC display. Now the off and cold finally are illuminated like the others.