Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Rea posted:

NYT/Siena always ends up with high undecideds, yeah. I still don't entirely get what's going on, but I'm not confident enough to call it a mistake or methodological error.

Nate Cohn has pushed back on this, but the standard criticism is that their pollers don't push to get an answer from undecided voters to the same extent that other polling firms do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

TulliusCicero posted:

Is there something about the Texas Panhandle that causes no matter what ethnicity or gender you are to become the most Republican of hardcore Republicans?

Is there a bunch of buried radioactive waste there or something?

The brain worms are native to this area - it’s their ancestral homeland.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Worth adding on that poll:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1320783025043656705?s=19

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

perhaps we shouldn't be placing latino voters on a pedestal wherein their votes for trump are actually biden's fault and not their own choice. there is a distinction between biden not doing enough outreach to latino voters (which, maybe?) and presuming that biden should, by default, win every latino voter, and every vote he loses is directly his fault.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't have a problem with the Biden campaign having Kamala spend one day in Texas. 1.) She's not the top of the ticket (or Obama, who's in Florida as I type this IIRC), 2.) even if she was, a single day's campaign visit isn't going to have a seismic effect on Texas or any state, 3.) it's not like Biden hasn't already been spending more time in the rust belt or Florida than Hillary did or than he's spent in Texas and 4.) Biden could lose Texas by 5 points and still carry a ton of new D's into the state legislature, which we should all remember could be enormously consequential.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1320775564421144576?s=20

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

i mean, taking a reality that exists only in your head and extrapolating from it is sure a thing, but outside of the trump campaign and a handful of other Houses Of Nuttery this view of biden is shared by basically nobody, so assuming the entire hispanic population of texas is voting based on it is a stretch

It's not just in my head though, at his town hall a young black voter called Biden out for the crime bill and his "you aint black" comments, those things happened.

The polls show the same thing, it would be great if the polls are wrong and Biden wins Texas, but just assuming they must be wrong and latino voters will all come out for Biden because there's a dang cheeto in the white house is confusing what you want to be true with what is true.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Who is that woman laughing, again? I can't remember the panel any longer.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

10% undecided seems gigantic compared to other states. Is that normal for this pollster/state?

Yes - their polls have much higher undecideds to such a degree he did a twitter thread on why a few days ago. But note that it is "other/undecided" rather than just undecided.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

perhaps we shouldn't be placing latino voters on a pedestal wherein their votes for trump are actually biden's fault and not their own choice. there is a distinction between biden not doing enough outreach to latino voters (which, maybe?) and presuming that biden should, by default, win every latino voter, and every vote he loses is directly his fault.
This is a weird take, people's choices are obviously affected by what candidates do, since if a candidate does something lovely some people will decide they don't want to vote for a candidate that lovely.

Like, women shifting away from Trump is certainly "their own choice" but their choice very obviously took into account stuff Trump did that he had the ability not to do.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Is it worth it to compare 2016 and 2020's confidence intervals from 538? It seems like they were too different of political climates to really compare. (HRC's investigation and Trump contracting COVID)

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

This is a weird take, people's choices are obviously affected by what candidates do, since if a candidate does something lovely some people will decide they don't want to vote for a candidate that lovely.

Like, women shifting away from Trump is certainly "their own choice" but their choice very obviously took into account stuff Trump did that he had the ability not to do.

do you have any evidence that latino voters are voting against biden because of his history and not for trump because they find trump's specific platform appealing? obviously theres interplay for both but you don't seem to acknowledge what the article is pointing to - that voters are specifically choosing trump because they find his "businessman" approach a good thing and want to vote for it.

like, your argument seems to be "everyone knows that biden is a horrible racist who loathes hispanic people, it absolutely makes sense that these voters are voting for trump and its bidens fault for not apologizing for his record!". it seems to working hard to excuse the agency of the voters, trump's own actions, and assuming a granular level of knowledge of biden's record that doesn't seem to be reflected anywhere.

also i'm not sure what the crime bill and strom thurmand has to do with hispanic voters in texas.

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 26, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VitalSigns posted:

there's a dang cheeto in the white house

let's not do this in this thread

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Xotl posted:

Who is that woman laughing, again? I can't remember the panel any longer.

That's Maggie Haberman, who now gets paid six figures to report how Trump is so lonely every week in the NYT.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CmdrRiker posted:

Is it worth it to compare 2016 and 2020's confidence intervals from 538? It seems like they were too different of political climates to really compare. (HRC's investigation and Trump contracting COVID)

Probably not considering they're not even the same model: the current 538 model has a big uncertainty fudge factor put in.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Numbers like that suggest that there a decent amount of Latinos that see immigration as a FYGM issue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

do you have any evidence that latino voters are voting against biden because of his history and not for trump because they find trump's specific platform appealing?

like, your argument seems to be "everyone knows that biden is a horrible racist who loathes hispanic people, it absolutely makes sense that these voters are voting for trump and its bidens fault for not apologizing for his record!"
His platform hasn't really changed since 2016, so that doesn't really explain the shift.

I guess it's possible that a bunch of people just started loving Trump's platform regardless of anything Biden did, but assuming that must be the case in order to absolve Biden of his racist record and his extremely poor treatment of nonwhite voters just seems like motivated reasoning to me.

E:

quote:

also i'm not sure what the crime bill and strom thurmand has to do with hispanic voters in texas.
The poll showed a swing away from Democrats among african american voters as well

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 26, 2020

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Grouchio posted:

So the NYT/Siena poll being somewhat inaccurate is a bit of an understatement.
Nope! It's a poll that's as or more reliable than most others and you should treat it as such, specifically that it shows Trump as under 50% in Texas, over Biden, and with a large number of undecideds.

Similar to pollsters who have refused to weight for education this year, there are reasons to believe that there may be systematic polling error and that, as opposed to noncollege white voters, may be a structural error in Biden's favor.

The takeaway from the NYT poll is that it's a somewhat competitive state and that there are some reasons to believe Texas polls specifically undercount a group that leans heavily Biden. Compare it to a 47-43-10 result for Biden in Minnesota or Michigan that may be structurally undercounting rural white voters without a college degree. As it was before the NYT, Biden has a chance in Texas and the polling suggests that Texas' white suburban Republican gerrymander may be about to backfire spectacularly and give Dems a chamber even if Biden doesn't win.

Also an evergreen reminder that this thread supports humane fishing and encourages you to not take the bait.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

exquisite tea posted:

That's Maggie Haberman, who now gets paid six figures to report how Trump is so lonely every week in the NYT.

Perfect, thanks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Other Nate has a long twitter thread basically saying, in essence: yes their polling was specifically pretty bad with hispanics in 2018 and led to a lot of misses but why he does not believe that is currently the case here (basically, he thinks they got turnout wrong).

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1320784338561175552

VitalSigns posted:

His platform hasn't really changed since 2016, so that doesn't really explain the shift.

I guess it's possible that a bunch of people just started loving Trump's platform regardless of anything Biden did, but assuming that must be the case in order to absolve Biden of his record and his extremely poor treatment of nonwhite voters just seems like motivated reasoning to me.

assuming that people share your personal, fringe belief when all evidence shows they do not is not reasonable. there are many explanations that have been put forward, at length, all of which you have ignored in favor of a belief that people view biden as an out of control racist while they obviously and clearly in every poll on the subject do not.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 26, 2020

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

I guess it's possible that a bunch of people just started loving Trump's platform regardless of anything Biden did, but assuming that must be the case in order to absolve Biden of his racist record and his extremely poor treatment of nonwhite voters just seems like motivated reasoning to me.

E:

The poll showed a swing away from Democrats among african american voters as well

we're talking about young hispanic men in particular, so presumably some of them wern't eligible to vote in 2016 or didn't vote in 2016.

or hispanic voters who are actually happy with trump's immigration policy (hispanic voters are actually fairly split on approval/disapproval of trump's immigration policy).

or hispanic voters who like trump's tax policy.

or - and this is a point that i've read elsewhere - that young hispanic men (and african american men) appreciate trump's gross public persona because it represents a level of "getting away with being a piece of poo poo without consequences" that they aspire to in the sense of social capital and power.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Men are swinging republican, it doesn't matter what their ethnicity is. I have a hard time believing it's because of Joe Biden's previous stances on crime or some statements he made earlier in the year.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 26, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grondoth posted:

Men are swinging republican, it doesn't matter what their ethnicity is.

Is this a new thing or has it been part of the race all along?

Specifically, did this start when the Dems added a woman to the ticket?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Majorian posted:

Even so, Biden's failure to reach out to Latino voters effectively is a well-documented phenomenon:

Biden's still probably going to win this thing, but there's a good chance he's blown his chances in Texas by not having a stronger pitch to these voters. The Democratic Party leadership should find these trends concerning, especially regarding their 2022 and 2024 prospects.

I am not going to dispute that Biden's or for that matter the Democratic Party has issues with Hispanics but the claim that "Biden puts kids in cages and no different than Trump on immigration" is simply not true. It's highly misleading.

The Republican Party should be attracting Hispanics because there more keen on capitalism and tend to be slightly socially conservative such as abortion for example.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

E:

I don't recall Trump talking about the wall anymore, or him denigrating Latinos as a bunch of drug-addled rapist murderers. That alone should get Trump some points.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I've got no evidence, but I would assume Hispanics in the Southwest are more likely than elsewhere in the country to not be first or second generation immigrants. A lot of families in those areas had the border change around them rather than immigrate. I think there's probably a fundamental difference if you or your parents were immigrants and there's a hard-core anti-immigrant on the ballot vs. your family lived in the same region for 6 generations

That's the main thing, 'Hispanic' barely makes sense as a demographic category. You've got people from all races and combinations thereof, and also people who lived in the US before it was the US versus people who immigrated last year.

However, in Texas? As far as I know the vast majority of Hispanics there are of Mexican descent, and Trump has singled those out specifically. I wouldn't expect him to do well with them.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://mobile.twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1320785268102860801

More bad news for Trump, 17million viewers (will change with more official numbers) saw his meltdown on Sunday. That with what meadows said earlier in the morning is just really bad news cycles going into the last week. Oh yeah and the VP’s office becoming a hot zone, remember how they said they just needed to control more news cycles than Biden and they’d win?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TwoQuestions posted:

I don't recall Trump talking about the wall anymore, or him denigrating Latinos as a bunch of drug-addled rapist murderers. That alone should get Trump some points.

You have not watched any recent Trump speech if you think he does not talk about (1) how he totally, actually has already built the wall, and (2) how immigrants are murderers and rapists and animals in gangs killing whites

it's less of a centerpoint of his campaign this time but that poo poo has not gone away, at all

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

It showed up in 2016 and 2018

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

It's been happening since 2004. It's grown every election since.

I don't know why, but I'm willing to bet that it's cause of the cultural side they've taken. There's not a lot of women who want to roll coal, and machismo is a very important part of fascism, which we all can see was the end point of the conservative movement.

I can see this being the high water mark for the split because Trump is basically an abusive husband, but who knows.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

eke out posted:

You have not watched any recent Trump speech if you think he does not talk about (1) how he totally, actually has already built the wall, and (2) how immigrants are murderers and rapists and animals in gangs killing whites

Right, but at this point in time many Latinos do not view themselves as 'immigrants', nor can they reasonably be described as such. If there really is a shift towards Republicans among them, it's an entirely predictable one. No one wonders how an Irish-American or Italian-American could ever bring themselves to vote for the nativist Republicans.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

eke out posted:

it's less of a centerpoint of his campaign this time but that poo poo has not gone away, at all

I do not, save the debates, which I meant to specify but didn't. Thanks for the heads up.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
As someone who lives in Southern California and has spent a lot of time in places like Glassell Park, Boyle Heights, etc. there is a definite FYGM attitude towards undocumented immigrants, especially amongst Latino men.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MaoistBanker posted:

As someone who lives in Southern California and has spent a lot of time in places like Glassell Park, Boyle Heights, etc. there is a definite FYGM attitude towards undocumented immigrants, especially amongst Latino men.

FYGM has been the American attitude towards immigration ever since Jamestown.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Grondoth posted:

Men are swinging republican, it doesn't matter what their ethnicity is. I have a hard time believing it's because of Joe Biden's previous stances on crime or some statements he made earlier in the year.

Yeah, let’s just accept that non white working class men are moving over. They just are.

But white suburbanites vote in much higher numbers-college grads vote in huge turnout.

Dems are adopting super reliable white middle class voters. Republicans are converting core Dem voters with a long long history of spacing out and not showing up.

There’s also the factor that existing vote suppression systems are set up to help friendly white suburbanites and crush black and Hispanic working class men because of their previous voting history.

Many Dem turnout dreams have been crushed by waiting for working class Black and Hispanic men to show up. Now it’s Trump’s problem.

Plano wine moms voted last week.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

VitalSigns posted:

E:

Have you considered that minority Trump voters are pieces of poo poo just like white Trump voters? The problem here is that you're trying to apply swing voter effects to people who never gave any indication that they are swing voters. They didn't move to Trump. If they voted in 2016, they voted for him. Polls have shown swing voters in the single digits for months.

You are starting with the assumption that Biden made these people into Trump supporters and then cherry picking for an outlier poll with crosstabs that fits this assumption. This is why people aren't giving your argument any creedence.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Right, but at this point in time many Latinos do not view themselves as 'immigrants', nor can they reasonably be described as such. If there really is a shift towards Republicans among them, it's an entirely predictable one. No one wonders how an Irish-American or Italian-American could ever bring themselves to vote for the nativist Republicans.

right, you see the same phenomenon in reverse among people of cuban descent in Florida, where millenials/zoomers no longer vote republican in abnormal numbers and instead vote about like you'd expect someone of their age to.

the umbrella classification becomes less and less useful as there are more diverse groups with differing economic status, national origin, etc, that do not vote the same way (which, i understand, isn't so much of a problem in texas where the demo is still predominantly mexican origin, but the class differences within the group goes a long way to explaining the differences in voting behavior)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xombie posted:

Have you considered that minority Trump voters are pieces of poo poo just like white Trump voters? The problem here is that you're trying to apply swing voter effects to people who never gave any indication that they are swing voters. They didn't move to Trump. If they voted in 2016, they voted for him. Polls have shown swing voters in the single digits for months.

You are starting with the assumption that Biden made these people into Trump supporters and then cherry picking for an outlier poll with crosstabs that fits this assumption. This is why people aren't giving your argument any creedence.

I wouldn't rule out a T+4 poll in Texas as an outlier. I would say, however, that making strong claims based on a single poll's crosstabs is never a good idea because of the low sample size. Particularly when your thesis (that it is widely accepted that biden is a racist monster) is utterly discredited by, say, polling on the public's view of biden.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Grondoth posted:

This is not a swing, men as a whole have always overwhelmingly voted Republican.

Men who weren't willing to vote for Hillary last time aren't "swinging" away from Biden.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

There’s also the factor that existing vote suppression systems are set up to help friendly white suburbanites and crush black and Hispanic working class men because of their previous voting history.

the guy who runs joeisdone has reflected that the Democrats' (who are doomed) best hope to overcome the massive wave of red voters bearing down on them is to do everything they can to suppress election-day turnout by slashing hours and closing polling places :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

TwoQuestions posted:

Yeah you beat me to this. Covid has driven the conversation away from The Wall and ugly racist rhetoric against Mexicans. Obviously the overall effect is far worse for Trump, but it wouldn't surprise me if the lack of him talking about brown rapists in the news every other day has improved his standing a bit among Hispanic voters in 2020 compared with 2016.