Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's too many spaces on the ramp to cover it entirely in troops and archons have a ridiculous move rate so the king can pop onto an unoccupied space before the player has enough reinforcements to reliably drive it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

There's too many spaces on the ramp to cover it entirely in troops and archons have a ridiculous move rate so the king can pop onto an unoccupied space before the player has enough reinforcements to reliably drive it off.

I mean if one guy is sitting on the ramp, the aliens need to kill that guy to take over the ramp

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

But they don't, that's not how it works. The entire area soldiers deploy into is the danger zone, and the aliens just need to get a unit in there for a few turns. Seriously, it's like you've never played a defense mission.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Apparently the alien just has to survive a turn.

e: in fairness I've only ever had a unit within the zone once, and it was immediately vaporized

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

But they don't, that's not how it works. The entire area soldiers deploy into is the danger zone, and the aliens just need to get a unit in there for a few turns. Seriously, it's like you've never played a defense mission.

No need to be insulting, geez. Turn down the Internet a little there.

How do I mod my game to undo the radius/damage nerfs to grenades?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ImpAtom posted:

Her name is flat-out stated in X-COM 2, isn't it? It's Moira

Oh cool I never saw that.

Thanks!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Heh in about 15-20 games I've only ever had 1 defense mission because dodging the UFO is generally not difficult and the one time I had that mission I blew everything up before they got near the DANGER ZONE

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

MF_James posted:

Heh in about 15-20 games I've only ever had 1 defense mission because dodging the UFO is generally not difficult and the one time I had that mission I blew everything up before they got near the DANGER ZONE

As far as I can tell, dodging the UFO is tied to RNG, unless you have a mod that lets you make sick moves with the Avenger.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

monster on a stick posted:

As far as I can tell, dodging the UFO is tied to RNG, unless you have a mod that lets you make sick moves with the Avenger.

If you play veteran I think it's actually quite rare. I've played a bunch on Veteran and never had a defense mission actually kick off.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

monster on a stick posted:

In addition on the lowest difficulty you can only get caught once per campaign.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I've been playing on the second hardest difficulty, I forget if that's commander or vet.

As far as dodging the UFO, I've just been not flying to places near it, maybe it's just luck that it doesn't chase me, but the only time I ended up with a defense mission I was trying to fly to something that was right next to the UFO.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I've had UFOs search for me several times. Never successfully evaded, but most of the time they just never catch on to begin with.

Ultimately, I always seem to wind up with exactly one defense mission per campaign.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who's got a mod to reverse the Volatile Mix / grenades nerfs?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The time I got a defense mission the UFO was on the other side of the world, then bradford suddenly went :byodood: and the UFO appeared next to us out of thin air. We flew in a straight line in some random direction before sitting there for 18 hours while the UFO slowly circumnavigated the earth and eventually flew into us.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
UFO Defense missions are a free pass to get everyone on your roster a level up so I can see why they don't want you to have lots of them in a campaign.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

Who's got a mod to reverse the Volatile Mix / grenades nerfs?

One of the ini files contain the damage values of all grenades you can change that.

Not sure if you can edit Volatile mix though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Digirat posted:

The time I got a defense mission the UFO was on the other side of the world, then bradford suddenly went :byodood: and the UFO appeared next to us out of thin air. We flew in a straight line in some random direction before sitting there for 18 hours while the UFO slowly circumnavigated the earth and eventually flew into us.

That happened in my first game, on whatever the second level of difficulty is.

I'm waiting for a mod that disables rulers on UFO defense. Otherwise it's a dumb way to end a campaign.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Copy and paste this to a mod's XComMissions.ini (or make a folder in the game's mod directory, make a config folder inside that folder, and make a XComMissions.ini with that in it):

Also do so with something like notepad++ so it comes in properly formatted when it's copied and pasted.

Basically it's the usage of encounter buckets (one of which is LIST_BOSSx3_Standard as an example) that enables rulers to be on missions, since those are a collection of configurable encounters that include Rulers when Alien Hunters is installed.

The pastebin replaces all the usages of LIST with the base BOSSxblahblahblah encounters themselves like the game did pre-patch, so it should block off rulers from being able to spawn on Avenger Defense.

You might need to regenerate the XComMission.ini by deleting the one in the My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config folder for it to take full effect.

edit: have some Shen's Last Gift stuff a redditor posted:

Exposure fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 19, 2016

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bholder posted:

One of the ini files contain the damage values of all grenades you can change that.

Not sure if you can edit Volatile mix though.

That's a bummer because I actually care more about that +1 radius than the grenade damage...

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, shout-out to Alkydere. First man to kill a ruler under my command, on a Commander Ironman run I've started to test the waters. And as a little corporal-rank sharpshooter, no less. Drilled the bastard from two screens away from the overpass on the slums map. :woop:

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

That's a bummer because I actually care more about that +1 radius than the grenade damage...

You want to look at XComGameData_SoldierSkills:
code:
[XComGame.X2Ability_GrenadierAbilitySet]
BULLET_SHRED=3
VOLATILE_DAMAGE=2
VOLATILE_RADIUS=0.0f

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Haha, I just chumped the Berserker Queen by throwing a single gas grenade at her. She just stopped taking actions, I think because her AI was trying to find a way over to my soldiers without going through the gas cloud she was in.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I just now noticed the game makes a sound when your projected movement will break concealment. Thinking back on it that's been there the whole time, I just never realized it was making that noise only when I was going to reveal my squad.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Exposure posted:

You want to look at XComGameData_SoldierSkills:
code:
[XComGame.X2Ability_GrenadierAbilitySet]
BULLET_SHRED=3
VOLATILE_DAMAGE=2
VOLATILE_RADIUS=0.0f

Thanks dude. Off to tinker with ini I go.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So a while ago I posted than in the first game I installed after getting the DLC, I didn't encounter MECs until mid-June, during the same where I faced my first Archon. I don't think I encountered any others until this mission I'm getting just now in October, where I'm seeing my first Heavy MECs.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Dr Christmas posted:

So a while ago I posted than in the first game I installed after getting the DLC, I didn't encounter MECs until mid-June, during the same where I faced my first Archon. I don't think I encountered any others until this mission I'm getting just now in October, where I'm seeing my first Heavy MECs.

I actually went from GREMLIN 1 to GREMLIN 3 on my latest campaign because the one mission I actually had a MEC to fight was an evac mission so I couldn't get one to autopsy before Sectopods started showing up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magni posted:

So, shout-out to Alkydere. First man to kill a ruler under my command, on a Commander Ironman run I've started to test the waters. And as a little corporal-rank sharpshooter, no less. Drilled the bastard from two screens away from the overpass on the slums map. :woop:

Even when I'm not playing the game, I'm playing the game. :smug: My only real problem with my GoonCOM avatar is that it was before the Anarchy dressup DLC and looks so...boring.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Despite being comically bad at the original XCOM I feel I must subject myself to what 20 years of additional sadistic progress has wrought. Is it possible to turn the pain level down for someone who's been out of the XCOM loop for a long time?

EDIT: "Breach" was my first turn-based squad game experience, played on a Mac Plus at work back in the eighties. It must look laughably primitive now but at the time it could get intense, and you could even improve your squad leader's stats from fight to fight.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/breach

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 19, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dick Trauma posted:

Despite being comically bad at the original XCOM I feel I must subject myself to what 20 years of additional sadistic progress has wrought. Is it possible to turn the pain level down for someone who's been out of the XCOM loop for a long time?

The original XCOM really has only thematic similarities to the two newer games. All the mechanics are incomparably different, so just jump in. There's four difficulty levels to choose from, and the fact that you're able to type complete sentences means you won't lose at the easiest. Start at difficulty 2 of 4 and see if you're bored.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: "Breach" was my first turn-based squad game experience, played on a Mac Plus at work back in the eighties. It must look laughably primitive now but at the time it could get intense, and you could even improve your squad leader's stats from fight to fight.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/breach

I'm super casual, but normal difficulty is fine. The best advice this thread gave me was, "prioritize weapon upgrades" and "don't worry about the clock until you get the one month count down".

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Alkydere posted:

Even when I'm not playing the game, I'm playing the game. :smug: My only real problem with my GoonCOM avatar is that it was before the Anarchy dressup DLC and looks so...boring.

You've been a huge goddamn asset in my most recent game, too. Top ranger and the killer of the Viper King. Also, chick I'm dating was watching me play, saw your guy, and said "that glasses and beard combo is WORKING for me." :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Coolguye posted:

You've been a huge goddamn asset in my most recent game, too. Top ranger and the killer of the Viper King. Also, chick I'm dating was watching me play, saw your guy, and said "that glasses and beard combo is WORKING for me." :v:

Oh it's more the uniform options were so lacking. I couldn't have my dude run around in shorts, leather vest, and spare-ammo-gauntlets mixed with my dorky glasses.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I love the spare ammo gauntlets. Like a lot of the other stuff doesn't work for me, but for some reason those just do.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Who was making the Guerilla War mod? Because Beagle's taking a shot at it I think https://twitter.com/beaglerush/status/733358310963941376

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Maluco Marinero, same steam/SA username

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
drat, I'm terrible. Is there a mod to skip operation Gatekeeper on Legendary difficulty?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Who was making the Guerilla War mod? Because Beagle's taking a shot at it I think https://twitter.com/beaglerush/status/733358310963941376

Yeah, been talking a lot with him about this and that, WaveCOM was his brainchild, and I built that so I could use it for testing the tactical changes that GW will eventually have. Not a bad consultant to have for XCOM balance stuff. :D

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Axeface posted:

drat, I'm terrible. Is there a mod to skip operation Gatekeeper on Legendary difficulty?

I know there's a mod to skip Gatekeeper on any difficulty...

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Axeface posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=624624424&searchtext=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Because I'm a talentless ideas guy, I'm going to spend this post going on about a concept for a 4th Alien Ruler.

The cyberdisc replacement, the Gatekeeper, is missing one thing the discs often had with it; drones. So a "Gatekeeper Lord" would come with it's own mini squadron of drones, looking alot like their XCOM1 counterparts, but with Gatekeeper-esque armor on the claws of the drone.

The drones wouldn't be able to do anything on the Ruler turns, but the Lord can use any nearby to heal itself. Adds a bit of "Either gently caress the drones or just burst it down" to it. Otherwise they'd be largely similar to OG drones. Good dodging, hover around, shoot lasers.

The Gatekeeper Lord itself is where I'm having a little bit of trouble picturing what it could do. Perhaps have access to rocket launchers and the like?

As far as where he'd show up first, I was thinking he could replace that guaranteed Gatekeeper spawn on the psigate retrieval story mission.

Reward for killing it would be a set of armor and a special Gremlin, decked out in Gatekeeper armor plating.

I've now spent the last 15 minutes typing this up and will probably never do anything with this idea, like all true ideas guys.