Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I thought emergency services were a state issue?

https://www.communications.gov.au/sites/g/files/net301/f/triple-zero-review.pdf

open24hours fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab8GtuPdrUQ

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

#disrupt the emergency services. turn firefighters into an app. gamify the police force. outsource paramedics to a call centre.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Telstrahealth

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Then disparage, whip and cast the poors out the streets when they can't get a job cos every service has been BPOd to the lowest bidder

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Death to those who disagree with me politically
- Party for Freedom

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Madonna King: Hold on to your seats, Queensland, before One Nation takes them

We could blink, and wake up next year with One Nation forming part of a Queensland government.

It seems preposterous now, without any representatives in the State Parliament, but it is entirely possible. And in several strategists' minds, entirely likely.

This is their thinking.

Annastacia Palaszczuk's Labor government is on the nose. Despite her personal popularity (which shows up again and again in polling), her party is going nowhere.

And its move to introduce compulsory preferential voting, while masterful while One Nation was nowhere, now looks like a noose around its neck.

One Nation polled up to 20 per cent of the vote in some Queensland seats at the federal poll. It is planning to run candidates in every state seat.

And while it was a fringe party, with little professionalism back in 1998 when it won 11 seats in the Queensland Parliament, it is now much more mainstream. Just look at the influence it is having, already, on federal policies.

One Nation's coffers are fuller than they've ever been, and, cleverly, it has now launched an appeal to local councillors to run under the One Nation banner.

That will all hurt Labor, and while strategists disagree on the number of seats One Nation will win (some say two, while others say up to 15), they are kicking themselves over their own goal - the decision to make preferences compulsory.

None of this is good news for the LNP either, with Tim Nicholls so far failing to capitalise on the leadership change, and senior party members disagreeing on whether it should court One Nation, or repel it.

Some senior LNP heads believe that One Nation is now more acceptable (and why wouldn't they, given what polling shows) and the party will only miss out if it doesn't do a deal to preference swap, or to encourage a preference flow.

Others - mainly those with their head in the sand - believe that strategy will backfire on the party, and it should campaign strongly on its own ground, without giving any to the new party on the block.

One Nation might not win many seats, but the influence it is having now already shows how much power it has to determine who does win.

Both major parties are not putting forward strong policy ideas; they're spending their time wondering how to best swat One Nation from the state scene.

And that's unlikely, unless the wheels quickly fall off Pauline Hanson and her Canberra bandwagon.

This is why Ms Palaszczuk used a big speech last week to signal an attack on Hansonites. That's why the LNP, behind the scenes, is struggling to find a unified campaign position on One Nation.

There's another factor here, that's rarely seen in politics. Usually the parties spend a lot of money and a lot of time on internal polling, to give them the heads-up of where they should campaign and even what policies they should release.

This time around, neither party is doing that yet. That's because four extra seats will be put into the Queensland Parliament, and that will shake up boundaries everywhere. To poll now, with those boundaries unknown, would probably end up a massive waste of money.

And that's why members on both sides are in the dark about One Nation's likely effect at the next state poll.

All of that is playing into One Nation's hands. In 1998 in Queensland, it received 439,121 votes - or 22.68 percent of formal vote, and believes it can do better this time.

It's praying that ON is Queensland's Brexit; or even Queensland's Donald Trump. Voting for the party in 1998 was a bit of a stretch for many. But Brexit and the rise of the anti-politician seen in Mr Trump's support makes voting against the major parties very legitimate.

And ON knows the value of Ms Palaszczuk's compulsory preferential voting system.

It would be mad - whether you like it or not - not to have its eye on the big prize. And that would be as a junior coalition partner, in government.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

BBJoey posted:

#disrupt the emergency services. turn firefighters into an app. gamify the police force. outsource paramedics to a call centre.

I look forward to surge pricing when I try to call a fire truck in periods of high demand.

But we all know that this will encourage more fire trucks to operate during those times to meet demand, so it's for the best really.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Brandis is as guilty as hell and needs to resign. So in the firm tradition of LNP dirt bags will hold on till force-ably removed by the armed proletariat. In other lying Tory scumbag news:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-06/wa-indigenous-suicide-rate-claims-in-doubt/7906566

quote:

Indigenous suicide: Doubts raised over WA Health Minister's claims Kimberley rate is falling By Erin Parke Updated about an hour ago

Suicide researchers say they are shocked at claims by Western Australia's Mental Health Minister the Indigenous suicide rate is falling.

The Kimberley region has one of the highest suicide rates in the world.

However the Minister, Andrea Mitchell, has said the number of Indigenous deaths by suicide has fallen in the last two years. "Unfortunately I can't use official figures because the coroner provides the official suicide rates and they can take up to two years to come through," she said. "But our agencies on the ground are reporting that the rates are down and we are making a significant difference ... we've had a much better year, and it's particularly down over the last couple of years. [We're] not so much giving money to government agencies, but actually getting the money into the communities and the towns where the Aboriginal population is."

The comments were dismissed by Professor Pat Dudgeon, a Bardi woman who sits on the National Mental Health Commission.

"I'm a bit shocked," she said. "I haven't seen any statistics to show the suicide rate is decreasing, and even if it did decrease slightly it's still a very, very high rate. I'd be a bit sceptical. I think that you need to look at the stats overall and track them over a number of years."

Suicide rates are difficult to track because there is a lag between the completion of police reports on each death, and when the coroner's office signs off on the official cause. A study recently published in the Medical Journal of Australia showed a doubling of Indigenous suicides in the Kimberley in the decade to 2014. Official statistics are yet to be confirmed for 2015 and 2016, but suicide researcher Gerry Georgatos has been keeping an unofficial count. "I pray to be proven wrong, but last year we had at least 15 suicides of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, and this year it's on track to be above average as well," he said. "So who's providing [the Government] with this information? We cannot play with people's lives here by playing down the crisis … It's a life and death space. If any minister or anyone wants to suggest that the toll and the rates are down, then they need to tell that to me at the table, to police at the table and to the hospital at the table … things have got worse, not better."

A roundtable on Indigenous suicide is due to be held in the Kimberley later this month.

The ABC understands the forum, organised by Federal Health Minister Sussan Ley, will be held in Derby on October 14. The discussion will focus on the findings of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Suicide Prevention Evaluation Project, which has assessed the effectiveness of existing programs. The report has been submitted to the Federal Government but is yet to be made public.

Black arm band (etc.)

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Vladimir Poutine posted:

hopefully this warms the cockles of your heart. stop the banana boats etc etc

I scrolled down slowly and thought it was a picture of a cock head.

I was so close. Just a picture of a cockhead.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Cartoon posted:

Brandis is as guilty as hell and needs to resign. So in the firm tradition of LNP dirt bags will hold on till force-ably removed by the armed proletariat. In other lying Tory scumbag news:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-06/wa-indigenous-suicide-rate-claims-in-doubt/7906566

Black arm band (etc.)

No what they're trying to say is that there's less blackfellas in the Kimberly now that they've all killed themselves. Should have gotten an interpreter

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

norp posted:

Telstrahealth

LJ Hooker-TripleZero

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tokamak posted:

LJ Hooker-TripleZero

Wilson Security Health

Yes, I know it is a thing

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Samsung Fire Services.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Walker's Funerals Suicide Prevention Line

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Swipe left for ambulance, right for police, or Press the Super like button for the fire brigade.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Please take a moment to rate us on iTunes.
Consider the paid version of the app to remove advertisements.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Oh cool I matched with police. Time to send dick pics.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-06/victoria-p-plate-inquiry-into-lowering-driver-age/7908208
Victoria's P-plate drivers are urging the State Government to allow them to get behind the wheel a year earlier.

In Victoria, drivers must be 18 years old before they can receive their probationary licence and drive without supervision — a year older than most places in Australia.

A parliamentary inquiry has now begun across Victoria to allow students, employers and members of the community to share their views on lowering the Victorian P-plate age.

A public hearing in Wodonga, being conducted by the Law Reform, Road and Community Safety Committee, has been told many employers prefer workers who are able to drive.

A survey was presented as evidence by the Wodonga Chamber of Commerce that showed more than 40 per cent of its members would be more likely to hire an employee with a driver's licence.

The licence age gap is a difficulty for employers and job hunters on the Victoria-New South Wales border.

Chamber business manager Bernie Squire said the licence age gap had been a cross-border anomaly that had been causing problems for years.

"Some of the feedback that we received around tradespeople and young people with apprenticeships is they would be more valuable to their employer if, [at] 17 to 18, they were able to drive trades vehicles or do some of the running around during the day," he said.

Mr Squire said many Victorian young people resorted to lying about their address to get behind the wheel at 17.

"A Wodonga boy or girl can claim to be living at an Albury address to get their licence a year earlier, and I know that actually happens, so this committee might be able to close that loophole by bringing both states into line with the age kids can get their licence," he said.

Students from Wodonga Senior Secondary College have told the inquiry they are disadvantaged when it comes to competing with Albury and New South Wales candidates for a job, because they have to wait longer to drive.

Jack Beer is one of those students, and desperately wants to enter the workforce.

Instead, he is still at school and missed out on his dream job because he cannot drive.

"I've done a lot of work experience and grown up on a farm, always been driving, and I did work experience and they said 'Look mate you can have the job, but you need your licence'," he said.

"I couldn't have the job so I'm just at school.

The Victorian inquiry will also consider the adequacy of current transport infrastructure and services available to young Victorians, particularly in regional and rural areas.

Strategies have been considered to help remove some of the barriers to work and study Victorian teenagers face as a result of the higher P-plate age, including introducing a special licence for young apprentices and employees.

But Wodonga's Young Citizen of the Year Jacob Mildren said it was important to give all young people in Victoria the same independence as other 17-year-olds in Australia.

"Students want to be independent from their parents, and those inhibitors of getting work, getting jobs and getting involved in the community," he said.

Jacob said some employers and parents were worried about seeing younger people behind the wheel, but too many young Victorians were missing out on vital opportunities and mobility.

"When we look at the rest of Australia, with Victoria being the only state at 18, and Albury across the border, those kids over there are getting those opportunities for work because they can drive," he said.

And here I was thinking NSW had the dumbest P plater rules with their 80km/h and power to weight limits.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 6, 2016

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Surely this will become a non issue in a few years when it's cheaper to driverless-uber everywhere than own a car.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the concept of green and red p plates is intrinsically foreign to me. if you're limited to 80, are you still allowed on highways?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BBJoey posted:

the concept of green and red p plates is intrinsically foreign to me. if you're limited to 80, are you still allowed on highways?

In Perth, L drivers are not allowed on the freeway. We dont have the red/green system though.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

BBJoey posted:

Yes, and it drives me loving mad. No wonder everyone disobeys the "keep left unless overtaking" directives, if you follow it you have to overtake every two bloody minutes. You shouldn't be allowed on a road if you are not permitted to drive at the speed limit.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

NPR Journalizard posted:

In Perth, L drivers are not allowed on the freeway. We dont have the red/green system though.

I think you're as old as me :) L platers are allowed on the freeways now, and they're allowed to do 100.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What a loving dumb system that would have been. We adopted the Red/Green Ps in Vic a couple of years ago, but I'm pretty sure the distinction is between whether you're allowed to tow a trailer, or how many people are allowed in your car after a certain time.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

sidviscous posted:

I think you're as old as me :) L platers are allowed on the freeways now, and they're allowed to do 100.

NSW is 90km/h. I was behind one a few weeks ago and I thought they were speeding!

I was one of the last to have the 1 year P plates. Glad I avoided the new system.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

When I was growing up in the ACT, it was doing this weird thing where all the age gaps are 3 months early (can legally work at 14 years and 9 months, can get Ls at 15 years and 9 months).

Also no restrictions on speed, second year of Ps, curfews or the other annoying stuff NSW had or was getting at the time.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I think the L plate age being lowered had something to do with teaching Road Ready or whatever it was called in school. I wasted a term of SOSE classes learning about that stuff in year 10.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

when I did road ready it was an optional after school thing.

also afaik the only limits on Ps in the act are no alcohol and no towing other cars. gently caress this nanny state poo poo you states have going on.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

BBJoey posted:

when I did road ready it was an optional after school thing.

also afaik the only limits on Ps in the act are no alcohol and no towing other cars. gently caress this nanny state poo poo you states have going on.

Frankly people shouldn't be allowed to drive at all unless a high court judge deems it necessary for the undertaking of their job. Everyone else can take public transport.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Starshark posted:

Frankly people shouldn't be allowed to drive at all unless a high court judge deems it necessary for the undertaking of their job. Everyone else can take public transport.

lol good one

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think if I tried to get a license, I'd have to spend more time learning the logistics of getting one than I'd have actually learning to drive.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Younger drivers should certainly be targeted as they're heavily over represented in accidents but the rates also shoot up after 70 or so and no one really talks about that.

For young people though it's an education issue as it causal effects tend to be irresponsible behavior. Driver ed should be part of the national curriculum.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NalThWdU3M

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The solicitor general has Brandis in his sights and going public like that after doing his homework first (because he's a Real Lawyer unlike the sunburnt dickhead of course) suggests to me that he's going for bone.

https://twitter.com/markdreyfusQCMP/status/783841359866187778

The definition of "consult" is a very legal one, both are lawyers (obviously one is a better quality than the other) and the onus is on Brandis to prove he consulted.

He can't. oval office's hosed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Problematic.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Can someone explain this in not legal terms?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

hooman posted:

Reading it now but maybe this will help?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-06/brandis-gleeson-standoff-threatens-rule-of-law/7908490

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

The solicitor general has Brandis in his sights and going public like that after doing his homework first (because he's a Real Lawyer unlike the sunburnt dickhead of course) suggests to me that he's going for bone.

https://twitter.com/markdreyfusQCMP/status/783841359866187778

The definition of "consult" is a very legal one, both are lawyers (obviously one is a better quality than the other) and the onus is on Brandis to prove he consulted.

Please don't get my hopes up. Of all the people in the current cabinet I want to see get loving curbstomped, Morrison is the first, followed a molar or two back by Brandis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

hooman posted:

I'm sorry but this is literally a legal matter. A gravely serious one mind you.

This. Think carefully about all the implications if the rule of law breaks down.

• Locked thread