Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Or in Tesla’s case it was done in-house and they didn’t bother making any spares because they moved on to the new hotness a week later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Powershift posted:

So i guess this is the future then. All cars are roughly I-pace shaped with little styling bits to differentiate them.

A lot of the sameness comes from safety regs regarding light placements and pedestrian impacts. The other part comes from aerodynamics.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Until your new part needs a wiring connector repin for some obscure reason and now people need to be aware to manually pull the sensor to check and see which part revision it carries, but wait, that revision was such a short run no one makes replacement so now you need the correct revision harness and and

Either the dealer knows how to do it, or it's an absolute pain in the rear end to find out by yourself. Exactly like before.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

the proportions on this are weird, like the X. Looks like someone just content-aware-fill added 20% to the height along the beltline.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

So i guess this is the future then. All cars are roughly I-pace shaped with little styling bits to differentiate them.

Haven't you heard? No one buys coupes or sedans any more. So sayeth Ford, for example.
God I hope the Crossover fascination ends soon someday.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It's going to be hilarious is like 20 years or so when crossovers become the hot thing with car nerds like station wagons or mini-vans now apparently.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ExplodingSims posted:

It's going to be hilarious is like 20 years or so when crossovers become the hot thing with car nerds like station wagons or mini-vans now apparently.

Mazda CX-5s will be appreciated by 20-somethings the way kids at Radwood drool over rubbish Honda Civics now or some goons spooge over Crown Vics.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Qwijib0 posted:

the proportions on this are weird, like the X. Looks like someone just content-aware-fill added 20% to the height along the beltline.

are you sure this isn't a gag where the new junior designer lost a bet and had to mash up as many boxy box-mobiles as possible into one design

like it's basically a cyberpunk frankenstein of a kia soul, audi Q, dodge magnum (that the middle aged dad owner cut down to make it even squattier) and the boxy angle era of cadillac

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 5, 2019

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It's like they took all the wrong lessons from the Chevy Volt concept car, which was pretty cool 12 years ago but we're probably past it now

EDIT: paint it black and slam it and Nolan-era bruce wayne might drive it

Ulf fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 6, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

drgitlin posted:

or some goons spooge over Crown Vics.

Cheap V8's in a relatively tough shell with a shitload of cheap parts and performance options?

Yeah sure, no one in their right mind would want that.

ExplodingSims posted:

Or comeplety awesome when some demented genuis comes up with some out of left field driveline swap from a EV

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I like crossovers

a cross over

one specifically

https://i.imgur.com/X0tcJyZ.jpg

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I like crossovers

a cross over

one specifically

https://i.imgur.com/X0tcJyZ.jpg

This is a person of distinguished taste, right here.

In the past I swore that AMC Eagles were body-on-frame setups and had thought that an EV conversion would be extra easy for one. Turns out they were unibody setups, which is weird as hell because I thought the Cherokee was the first unibody 4x4 from Chrysler. Still though, finding a way to cram a Tesla motor/VFD into one of those and watch peoples' cerebellums fuse as they try to process an AMC 258 cracking off a sub 5-second 0-60 would be a wonderful way to blow 20 large, were I a millionaire. :haw:

Also, one can never hate a 4WD car with a CB as a factory option. :getin:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Discovered an interesting behavior on my Gen2 Volt if you initiate a pre-condition cycle from OnStar/Alexa skill AND leave a keyfob inside the car...

The car will lock the doors, not start the pre-condition, and seemingly disable keyfob detection. The only way to unlock the car at this point is to use the Unlock button on another keyfob, or use the physical key lock under the cover on the driver side door. The button on the door handle will not unlock the car, even if you bring another keyfob into range.

So... if you start a precondition and accidentally leave your key inside, better hope you have a spare nearby!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ripoff posted:

This is a person of distinguished taste, right here.

In the past I swore that AMC Eagles were body-on-frame setups and had thought that an EV conversion would be extra easy for one. Turns out they were unibody setups, which is weird as hell because I thought the Cherokee was the first unibody 4x4 from Chrysler. Still though, finding a way to cram a Tesla motor/VFD into one of those and watch peoples' cerebellums fuse as they try to process an AMC 258 cracking off a sub 5-second 0-60 would be a wonderful way to blow 20 large, were I a millionaire. :haw:

Also, one can never hate a 4WD car with a CB as a factory option. :getin:

The Eagle was only produced for a few months after Chrysler bought AMC. It died almost immediately.

I really didn't like them as a kid, but now I want one. :sigh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Darchangel posted:

Haven't you heard? No one buys coupes or sedans any more. So sayeth Ford, for example.
God I hope the Crossover fascination ends soon someday.

The Ford T was a "crossover" (tall body, high ground clearance, upright seating position), as was most other cars for decades.

A crossover body has more room for batteries, and is easier for people to get in and out of.

The only real drawback is if the styling is not to your taste, and "muh handling", which really isn't an issue.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Handling isn’t even an issue because those batteries mean a much lower CoG.

Also, didn’t we just do the whole crossover derail a few weeks ago?

This seems like a rather indefensible statement from Paddy Lowe: https://www.racefans.net/2019/01/06/how-formula-1-helped-make-tesla-technology-possible/

I’m sure the worst thread is lapping it down, but discounting the entire consumer electronics sector for the change in energy density seems unwise.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 6, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Last I looked physics still said an increase in weight no matter where had quite a large impact on handling.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know why the sedan body is held in such esteem. If it has one defining characteristic today, it's that the trunk doesn't open into the cabin and that sucks for practicality. Good riddance.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Last I looked physics still said an increase in weight no matter where had quite a large impact on handling.

Crossovers don't have to be heavier than sedans. EVs are heavier than similar ICE cars, but they don't handle significantly different. A big difference on a race track maybe, but jack poo poo on a 40 mph on-ramp.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The torque characteristics of electrical motors does a lot to mask the weight, too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

I don't know why the sedan body is held in such esteem.

I think a lot of it is because the dimensions of crossovers are wonky. I'd love wagons to make a comeback. What I don't want is a lifted and scaled-up hatchback, particularly one that's pretending to be an SUV.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ola posted:

Crossovers don't have to be heavier than sedans.

Given crossovers tend to be equivalent of raised wagons, they almost always will be - and more importanly the weight difference is mostly above the waistline.

quote:

EVs are heavier than similar ICE cars, but they don't handle significantly different. A big difference on a race track maybe, but jack poo poo on a 40 mph on-ramp.

Tesla's actually have a fair difference in handling to regular ICE, due to the power delivery of the driveline - Dont forget engine and braking response are all part of making a car turn and how it responds. It also most certainly makes a big difference on the road, especially in those situations where you dont want to crash. Or any time it rains. Or even if you miscalulate and get onto an onramp a bit faster than you wanted to.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How does an EV handle differently in the rain, all things being equal (weight, drivetrain, etc) with an ICE car?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tesla's actually have a fair difference in handling to regular ICE, due to the power delivery of the driveline - Dont forget engine and braking response are all part of making a car turn and how it responds. It also most certainly makes a big difference on the road, especially in those situations where you dont want to crash. Or any time it rains. Or even if you miscalulate and get onto an onramp a bit faster than you wanted to.

I did forget all those other things, because you were talking about weight specifically. It's heavy but the handling is well within the wide range of normal car handling. It makes a "big" difference to a nitpicking car nerd, but not the average joe.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Powershift posted:

Maybe improved battery tech backed by enough renewable energy and charging locations will bring back an era before aero drag coefficients were king. "gently caress it, the battery is big enough for 150 miles, there are plenty of charging stations with no gap greater than 50 miles, let's make an electric '59 Cadillac with modern safety features and comfort."

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

Maybe improved battery tech backed by enough renewable energy and charging locations will bring back an era before aero drag coefficients were king. "gently caress it, the battery is big enough for 150 miles, there are plenty of charging stations with no gap greater than 50 miles, let's make an electric '59 Cadillac with modern safety features and comfort."

So basically the iPace?

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

are you sure this isn't a gag where the new junior designer lost a bet and had to mash up as many boxy box-mobiles as possible into one design

like it's basically a cyberpunk frankenstein of a kia soul, audi Q, dodge magnum (that the middle aged dad owner cut down to make it even squattier) and the boxy angle era of cadillac

I was thinking it was more like they shamelessly stole the Evoque and ran it through a few more levels of "concept car" filters.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wibla posted:

So basically the iPace?

You think an ipace looks like a '59 Cadillac?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I think the implication was that the iPace has the sleekness and aerodynamic efficiency of a '59 cadillac

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

90s gas prices enabled the Hummer, so why not?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

You think an ipace looks like a '59 Cadillac?
No, see:

Sagebrush posted:

I think the implication was that the iPace has the sleekness and aerodynamic efficiency of a '59 cadillac

:thejoke:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Wibla posted:

So basically the iPace?

iPace with the body kit of a '59 Caddy. Or a 75 Fleetwood. Or The Homer. Or a Diablo. The inside and power unit are modern, the outside can be classic or bonkers or something new that isn't the same crossover body.

Just play around with the body shape without drag coefficient being the primary deciding factor. This all happens after better or cheaper battery tech and greater rollout of charging stations and a bunch of green energy so NotTheBestAero can still drive around for a day and not get worried about finding the next charging station, and the mass produced aerokings can keep being crossovers because I totally understand the practicality and ease of use of crossovers.

edit: I got wooshed

double edit:

Ola posted:

90s gas prices enabled the Hummer, so why not?
If green energy makes coal powered electricity and internal combustion engines a niche market, then great, bring on the BEV H4.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 6, 2019

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

A crossover body has more room for batteries, and is easier for people to get in and out of.

The only real drawback is if the styling is not to your taste, and "muh handling", which really isn't an issue.

Plus it satisfies most people's "What if I someday have to carry something that won't fit in a sedan?" anxiety while maintaining acceptable fuel economy.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The mindset of "this purchase might not fit my needs on two days over the course of the five+ years I own it" is absolutely maddening to me.

Of course I also think you should need a permit issued on proof of need and revalidated yearly to own a truck.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

How does an EV handle differently in the rain, all things being equal (weight, drivetrain, etc) with an ICE car?

It cant be equal. There are too many differences to equalise - how you going to equalise max torque from zero rpm for instance? Throttle response can not be equal. Braking response can not be equal (regen braking being such a big thing with EV's). Even if you say that the weight is equal, the weight distribution cant be. As much as I poo poo on drgitlin, he's got the whole COG being fundamentally low down on a EV 100% correct. How you going to equalise for say Tesla's skateboard design?

I'm not saying a RWD Tesla doesnt as a high level overview slide and catch like a RWD ICE (of course it does), what I am saying is the approach to things like steering / brakes input or throttle is different - and that package as a whole makes a difference where I would approach steering a EV with that very much front and centre, much like the difference in approach I would take between a FWD and AWD chassis.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm not saying a RWD Tesla doesnt as a high level overview slide and catch like a RWD ICE (of course it does), what I am saying is the approach to things like steering / brakes input or throttle is different - and that package as a whole makes a difference where I would approach steering a EV with that very much front and centre, much like the difference in approach I would take between a FWD and AWD chassis.

This is just internet theory about max effort racing handling without computer assist, instead of normal driving in traffic. My approach to both EV and ICE in the rain: Don't floor it. Even if I do, the anti spin catches it. A low powered EV with all of its meager torque from zero will be more docile than a high powered ICE.

If you lose the Model S on snow, particularly downhill, it will be harder to save than a lighter car, no matter what powers the lighter car. It's one peril with computer assistance, it can keep you out of trouble until it suddenly abandons you deep in it. More power gets you into that trouble faster, more weight gets you into trouble deeper, but those are equally true with EV or ICE.

There's no fundamental difference between the two. If you can drive one, you can drive the other. But you can obviously pick a lot of internet fantasy racing nits.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Can confirm that a model S is scary when going downhill on ice :v:

Nearly ended in the snowbanks twice on the 1100 mile trip home from Tromsø with a brand new car, not my idea of fun.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ola posted:

I don't know why the sedan body is held in such esteem. If it has one defining characteristic today, it's that the trunk doesn't open into the cabin and that sucks for practicality. Good riddance.

Crossovers don't have to be heavier than sedans. EVs are heavier than similar ICE cars, but they don't handle significantly different. A big difference on a race track maybe, but jack poo poo on a 40 mph on-ramp.

Advantage to a sedan is a more secure and non visible trunk compartment.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Advantage to a sedan is a more secure and non visible trunk compartment.

Sedans are also much quieter due to the isolated passenger compartment.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wibla posted:

No, see:

:thejoke:

Today I am content to be the idiot that didn't get it.

Also, wagon supremacy. Someone wedge an ev drivetrain under a first-gen Volvo V70 body and I'll be a happy man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Deteriorata posted:

Sedans are also much quieter due to the isolated passenger compartment.

Hmm, I hadn’t considered that my S got much noise from the trunk area, but I guess road noise is where the wheels are!