Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

closeted republican posted:

Saving Malik non-lethally is awesome. I managed to take down an entire group of heavily-armed mercs wihtout killing any of them and a big killbot with a tazer, an EMP grenade, and some Hypostims while jumping around like an idiot.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this, but if you reload the autosave that the game saves after Malik is shot down, an explosive barrel near a guard will suddenly explode as soon as you load the save, killing the guard near it. This means you have to reload a save right before you go back to Hengsha in order to redo it if make a mistake while going going non-lethal. Happened to me in the Director's Cut PC version.

Non-lethal on GMDE and unseen is hella fun! I had to ko the big lads then drag them away so the mech exploding didn't kill them. So satisfying to pull off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't understand the obsession with non-lethal. I play mostly pacifist myself, but guys setting up murder ambushes can get a bullet to the head. That accomplishment puts on an undue burden; I still ended up with the 'good' ending, afaik.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Serephina posted:

I don't understand the obsession with non-lethal. I play mostly pacifist myself, but guys setting up murder ambushes can get a bullet to the head. That accomplishment puts on an undue burden; I still ended up with the 'good' ending, afaik.

It's an extra challenge in some ways and it makes me feel like a good guy. I agree that it often makes no sense in the game world but I don't care about that personally.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Serephina posted:

Some people like the idea of running through a base undetected and then hours later, the quick response force going into a completely silent, deserted facility...

...and then finding that all their buddies have had their personal belongings ransacked, their candy bars eaten, and have been shoved into the bathrooms with their faces in each others' crotches. I imagine that it's the same Belltower guy who keeps responding to these calls and is just shaking a fist going "JEEEEEENSEEEEEN!"

But yeah, it doesn't really make sense in the game world.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ekster posted:

It's an extra challenge in some ways and it makes me feel like a good guy. I agree that it often makes no sense in the game world but I don't care about that personally.

Yah, doing a "non-lethal" run is basically a way to up the challenge and (sortof) roleplay. Even if functionally i'm giving all these dudes free comas.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
A few times I've tried going non-lethal, but that always goes out the window at the pod hotel. I doubt even Gandhi could get through the Missing Link content without killing every special forces goon in sight.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Non-lethal makes sense early in DX1 or DXHR where you're disabling terrorists so they can be interrogated and put on trial by the proper authorities. However, once you start dealing with groups like MJ12 and Belltower, there's no reason not to go lethal because you're not going to receive any help from the authorities, and in some cases, they set up deadly traps where using lethal force to fight back is the best solution

I like stealth non-lethal because I like to imagine how much security will poo poo their pants over what I did after I left and it's challenging. I mean, some dude with a tazer, l33t hacking skills, and candy bars not only manages to successfully infiltrate a top-secret base or corporate HQ undetected, security also found Richard, Jake, and Peter shoved into vents, sleeping like babies, several hours later.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I like to take it a step further and simply not engage anyone at all if possible. Just weave my way through patrol routes, do my thing, and get out with all the guards still conscious and wondering what the hell just happened.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

closeted republican posted:

Non-lethal makes sense early in DX1 or DXHR where you're disabling terrorists so they can be interrogated and put on trial by the proper authorities. However, once you start dealing with groups like MJ12 and Belltower, there's no reason not to go lethal because you're not going to receive any help from the authorities, and in some cases, they set up deadly traps where using lethal force to fight back is the best solution

I like stealth non-lethal because I like to imagine how much security will poo poo their pants over what I did after I left and it's challenging. I mean, some dude with a tazer, l33t hacking skills, and candy bars not only manages to successfully infiltrate a top-secret base or corporate HQ undetected, security also found Richard, Jake, and Peter shoved into vents, sleeping like babies, several hours later.

Even the MJ 12 troopers have families, dude =(

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Like republican said often it's about the challenge of never ever getting seen and knocking people out. I do love the idea of someone arriving into work and just seeing all their pals Ko'd and in dustbins. Then they panic and feel like vomiting but oh dear someone has blocked every toilet with a fending machine. Then they find out all their access codes and mars bars have been robbed from their desk too huehuehue. Also the roleplaying aspect. Adam never struck me as a killer so it made sense to me that he'd avoid having to hurt other people as much as possible though granted things like ambush stretch that thin. Games like Dishonoured or Metal Gear Solid also make sense in the sneaky vibe because that is the true mark of skill. Adam is excessively violent for his non-lethal takedowns though. It's funny that when he silently perforates a guys spinal column and kidneys other guards hear it, but battering a man into a puddle is 'silent'.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a Thread for Mankind Divided?
Saw some game play at PAX Australia this weekend and it looked really really impressive, can't wait for the real thing which they mentioned for February (not sure if that's new information or not). They had panels with Warren Spector who was a really interesting guy and seems to love Deus Ex still, also with Mary DeMarle, the narrative director for Mankind Divided.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Parallel to that, we should probably merge the Deux Ex and Human Revolution threads at some point before Mankind Divided comes out. :v:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Cloud the Cat posted:

Is there a Thread for Mankind Divided?
Saw some game play at PAX Australia this weekend and it looked really really impressive, can't wait for the real thing which they mentioned for February (not sure if that's new information or not). They had panels with Warren Spector who was a really interesting guy and seems to love Deus Ex still, also with Mary DeMarle, the narrative director for Mankind Divided.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711924

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And his father told me to waste him.

I'm morally in the clear!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Just beat The Missing Link's areas and got Factory Zero.

Factory Zeroing TML is much easier than I expected. I remember TMLs areas being somewhat difficult the last time, but I was able to get through it fairly easily without any weapons or augs. Took some quickloading, but I was able to do it. The only part that was annoying was the retread through Rifleman Bank's warehouses at the end, but even with gear that part can be aggrivating. I think I blew my Foxiest of Hounds achievement because of a knocked-out guard I placed in a poor spot which had a new batch of enemies respawn near him later. gently caress Foxiest, though.

I also managed to save everyone without any augs, which was pretty cool. I did most of the work before the countdown started, which saved me a lot of time.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

I love the stat in Alpha Protocol noting how many kids you've made orphans of.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

V-Men posted:

I love the stat in Alpha Protocol noting how many kids you've made orphans of.

I loved the fact that in Saudi Arabia the soldiers had 3-4 kids on average while in China they all had 1. Only 1. Always.

It was the little touches in Alpha Protocol. :allears:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

So I've been doing a brute-force loud lethal playthrough on GMDX and it's been interesting doing something other than picking off people with the pistol while hiding. Trying to minimize use of the pistol has taught me just how ridiculously overpowered that thing is.

Although getting to use the shotgun more often has given me an appreciation for the loud lethal weapons in the game. I'm kind of annoyed that the game disincentivizes you so heavily from using them in a normal playthrough.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Regular DX doesn't give a poo poo if you go loud or not though. Get regen and you're practically immortal, put on ballistic shield and it's even more insane, use the Dragon's tooth sword to instakill everyone and use the speed aug to zip around like some demented version of sonic. DX is really easy to break over your knee!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
There isn't any real way to check if you are still on track for Foxiest and Pacifist, correct?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Samopsa posted:

Regular DX doesn't give a poo poo if you go loud or not though. Get regen and you're practically immortal, put on ballistic shield and it's even more insane, use the Dragon's tooth sword to instakill everyone and use the speed aug to zip around like some demented version of sonic. DX is really easy to break over your knee!

I was talking about Human Revolution on Give Me Deus Ex. Which does pretty heavily discourage the use of loud lethal weapons.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

There isn't any real way to check if you are still on track for Foxiest and Pacifist, correct?

Unfortunately, no.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

MJ12 posted:

I was talking about Human Revolution on Give Me Deus Ex. Which does pretty heavily discourage the use of loud lethal weapons.

Ah, yes, DX:HR is more of a stealth game indeed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is it possible to get the "smooth operator" and / or "ghost" bonuses while also saving Malik, or is that hard-coded out? I may be trying for too many achievements in the same run.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Is it possible to get the "smooth operator" and / or "ghost" bonuses while also saving Malik, or is that hard-coded out? I may be trying for too many achievements in the same run.

If I recall correctly, you can get all that stuff while still saving Malik. For me it involved speed/jump/invis augs and a metric tonne of candy bars.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

I don't think so.

Smooth Operator is out because there's no alarm system there, and Ghost is also out because I'm fairly sure the fail-state for Ghost is "enemies become hostile," which they're permanently at during that scene.

You can definitely get Foxiest of the Hounds while also saving Malik, I did it-but that's because being detected during that scene doesn't count against you.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

magimix posted:

If I recall correctly, you can get all that stuff while still saving Malik. For me it involved speed/jump/invis augs and a metric tonne of candy bars.

Yeah, the food mechanic was always hilarious in HR. Jensen ends up diabetic by the end of the game for pretty much everyone, plus it's fun to picture him just chugging a giant tub of what amounts to maple syrup in the middle of a firefight. :btroll:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always thought of it as a jar of mayo.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Isn't it like protein powder?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kyte posted:

Isn't it like protein powder?

I would hope not, since protein can't be used as fuel by your body. It should probably be like, caffeinated lard.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
His metabolism is augmented.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

His metabolism is augmented.

Even so, protein contains less calories per mass that fat, sugar, or alcohol. Really he should run off everclear that's been super-saturated with sugar. A cyborg food that is ubiquitous for it's consumption by augments, horrible for humans but consumed none-the-less.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Snak posted:

Even so, protein contains less calories per mass that fat, sugar, or alcohol. Really he should run off everclear that's been super-saturated with sugar. A cyborg food that is ubiquitous for it's consumption by augments, horrible for humans but consumed none-the-less.

So, red bull and vodka, but in candy bar form? I'd eat it!

One of the Hugh Darrow books talks about a "protein slurry" and the big jugs look just like jars of whey protein. I imagine them as those candied "workout energy bars" that are a third peanut butter/chocolate, a third sugar, and a third caffeine.

Apparently in mankind divided they're moving to energy cells after all.

Anyway yeah from what I'm reading online ghost is technically possible but extraordinarily difficult, smooth operator isn't available, Foxiest and Pacifist are the only two long term achievements to worry about and Foxiest isn't impacted by that level as no alarm panels. So I'll just do a run making sure I save her with no corpses and move on.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 12, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Candy bars are an important part of the Deus Ex setting so I'm seriously hoping Mankind Divided gives us candy bars that replenish both health and energy, but in reduced amounts for each.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So while they pretty much confirmed the way melee works is identical to HR, what do you guys think they could have done to make melee cool in this game?

I think maybe making each individual move its own aug so you could spec into them, like they did with the rush forward aug in this game. I guess I think the BLOPS 3/CRYSIS method of having 1st person powers is way more fun for me than a skyrim style where you would just spam, like, nano-bees or whatever.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

So while they pretty much confirmed the way melee works is identical to HR, what do you guys think they could have done to make melee cool in this game?

I think maybe making each individual move its own aug so you could spec into them, like they did with the rush forward aug in this game. I guess I think the BLOPS 3/CRYSIS method of having 1st person powers is way more fun for me than a skyrim style where you would just spam, like, nano-bees or whatever.

If it were up to me I'd make takedowns not require energy, but energy can be used in a separate CQC augment toggle that speeds up takedowns. The CQC augment could also enable certain moves that allow you to take down bigger enemies (like the ogre-types in HR, or maybe box-mechs with a hand-EMP blast or something if you also pick the taser-fist augment). Attempting melee takedowns without the CQC aug active require you to pass a quick-time event (like press the action key at the right time once or something). Melee shouldn't require energy, but energy should definitely make it easier (no QTEs) and more convenient (faster takedowns means you're less likely to get spotted in the act).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

This is a super unpopular opinion, but QTE minigames for melee in first person SINGLE PLAYER games is something I like. I think instead of it being prompt->mini cutscene, prompt->followup prompt would be cool.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I thought Dishonored had a pretty good system and since they're already taking stuff from that game they might as well borrow the melee as well. Maybe with more punching.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
All takedowns make noise and don't render you invulnerable while you're doing them, but are energy-free. Lethal takedowns are faster than non-lethal. You can activate aug upgrades that do cost energy that make them silent or much much faster to minimize damage taken, with nonlethal versions costing more energy. I'd also switch the control input. Once you start a takedown, letting go of the button at any point makes you kill the person. You have to hold it for the entire duration to knock them out, so you can start choking someone, get caught, and abort the non-lethal takedown to avoid getting shot up. The transition from non-lethal to lethal takedown is pretty easy too: just have the blades whip out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Eidos have pushed back the release date of HR:MD to August 23rd, 2016.

• Locked thread