Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Erdogan is pretty much Ted Cruz only turkish instead of canadian and without that face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
idk maybe more like Trump since he is clearly trying to Make Ottoman Great Again

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

rear end cobra posted:

Erdogan is pretty much Ted Cruz only turkish instead of canadian and without that face

lets ask him how he refers to a basketball hoop and then tanzania

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

AugmentedVision posted:

idk maybe more like Trump since he is clearly trying to Make Ottoman Great Again

But Trump has real charisma, Erdogan is just a smart scheming pos who tries super hard

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Quote this if the last time you heard the word Iskenderun was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

USSAr posted:

once again obama supports islam over secularism

If he hands over Gulen, lol

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
If obama hands over gulen trump should be president. but he wont hand him over

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Remember the penis game in school? You tried to say it as loud as possible without getting in trouble

US politicians do the same thing except "Armenian genocide"

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Young Freud posted:

The coup leaders didn't have much of a choice. Apparently Erdogan was going to drop the hammer on them this weekend and it turned into a "do or die" moment.

South Korea. That was '79-'80. They were a military dictatorship until about 1988.

South Korea was very much a pretty lovely country back then.

e; I would it put it slightly below Erdogan's Turkey.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

absolutely shameful all who oppose islamism face utter defeat and humiliation in that region. it's a lost cause

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kainser posted:

South Korea was very much a pretty lovely country back then.

e; I would it put it slightly below Erdogan's Turkey.

This may be true, but, in the here and now, it's light-years beyond Erdogan's Turkey today.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Young Freud posted:

This may be true, but, in the here and now, it's light-years beyond Erdogan's Turkey today.

wow racist

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But could we get another proper coup? If Ehrmagahd decides to gently caress with higher up officers then the rest might go, gently caress it. Then it's on.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Raw_Beef posted:

Lmao is this what theyre teaching in school these days?

Best Korea do nothing wrong! South Korea attack first! Defensive invasion with massed armor donated by soviet union! Completely justified!
North and South Korea had both attacked each other before the Korean War kicked off, if you don't believe that then read a fuckin book my friend.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lodin posted:

But could we get another proper coup? If Ehrmagahd decides to gently caress with higher up officers then the rest might go, gently caress it. Then it's on.

turkey is a caliphate now. they behead and smile and gather for them.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
It's funny to consider now but North Korea was genuinely a better place to live in than South Korea for a very long time

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Islamism train ain't got no brakes.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kainser posted:

It's funny to consider now but North Korea was genuinely a better place to live in than South Korea for a very long time
Almost all of the material wealth of the peninsula is in the North and it is a shame that a lot of it has been squandered on developing the military rather than benefiting the general population, imo.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

jBrereton posted:

Almost all of the material wealth of the peninsula is in the North and it is a shame that a lot of it has been squandered on developing the military rather than benefiting the general population, imo.

Uh what? Do you mean natural resources?

South Korea is massively more wealthy than the north and also has like four times the defense spending.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Wikkheiser posted:

Islamism train ain't got no brakes.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

WRT grunts and civilians: I've been on a few Aid to the Civil Power things, mostly floods and snow storms, but also for G8/G20, and the amount of briefings on what to do is intense. Mostly "even if there is a riot, let the police do their thing. A state that uses military force on civilians has no legitimacy and you should just return to barracks."

However, my country has not been taken over by Islamists (yet). :canada:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Kainser posted:

Between 1980 and 1988 these are your choices when it comes to Korean leaders:

or

Both unelected dictators backed by a military backed by a superpower, both have killed dissidents in droves.

wide stance posted:

South Korea is massively more wealthy than the north and also has like four times the defense spending.

Back in the 1970s and early 1980s, before the "Korean Miracle" happened, DPRK was widely considered to be the better Korea - it was more industrialised, with more natural resources and getting massive amounts of aid from PRC and USSR.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 16, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

wide stance posted:

North Korea has a poo poo-ton of mineral deposits, but the DPRK choose to concentrate heavily into agriculture, which screwed them up super bad. South Korea has to import almost everything, but built up their economy by processing those imported materials into ships, cars, and military equipment and then exporting them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Shanghaied posted:

or

Both unelected dictators backed by a military backed by a superpower, both have killed dissidents in droves.

If those are the choices, I'll take the one that lets me have a fuckton of giant-rear end medals on my uniform.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i wish i was a dictator

i'd do it right

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If those are the choices, I'll take the one that lets me have a fuckton of giant-rear end medals on my uniform.

Speaking of failed coup attempts and Korean dictators, here's a friendly reminder that President Park Chung-Hee was shot and killed at point-blank range by the director of the KCIA, at the loving presidential palace. It's as if George Bush Sr just had enough of Gerald Ford and killed him with his own hands at the White House.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

a logical choice.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Shanghaied posted:

Barton fink

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Shanghaied posted:

This is like the one question I would like to ask someone who was in the Iraqi/Syrian army circa. 2013.

I knew Russia and Turkey didn't get along and has fought each other, but boy was I unprepared for the extent of this. So wikipedia tells me Russia and Turkey has been at war 12 times in the last 500 years, 10 times in the last 300 years. From 1768 to 1918 they basically fought once every generation.

For the first quarter of the 20th century everyone was myopic about getting Constantinople out of Islamic hands. The last attempt was the Greco-Turk war which hilariously enough was botched because a monkey bit the King and caused sepsis. The replacement purged the military high command which let Ataturk fight courtiers rather than military people.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

wide stance posted:

Yes.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Brexit vindicated again :smug:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Turdkey

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

goddamn what a man

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Another garbage country we get to pretend to care about because they are strategically relevant.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

If he hands over Gulen, lol

there's no way you can possibly think that would happen

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

turkey sucks now, gonna make a honey baked ham for thanksgiving instead

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Here you have a super awesome first world democracy and then this happens. So sad.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

rear end cobra posted:

Here you have a super awesome first world democracy and then this happens. So sad.

Only sad that it didn't succeed.

Aug 4, 2010

the good guys lost again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

goatface posted:

"Please reopen that airbase while we still think this is an unfortunate misunderstanding."

• Locked thread