Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huego
Mar 12, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah I kinda get that but how do you complete the circuit at the end? And doesn’t this just end up with crazy load put through a single socket? It all seems so convoluted and inelegant. Why not just have literally any type of connection and a wired transformer so it makes no difference which way round they are etc. I feel like I’m fundamentally misunderstanding something that seems super obvious to everyone else sorry.

How do Christmas lights work where you are? You understand that they're long strings, right? Modern lights are usually LED, so the load is minimal. I don't understand what's "inelegant" about a string of lights? The circuit is no more "incomplete" than it would be with a lamp, which is essentially what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oh I get it I think.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah I kinda get that but how do you complete the circuit at the end? And doesn’t this just end up with crazy load put through a single socket? It all seems so convoluted and inelegant. Why not just have literally any type of connection and a wired transformer so it makes no difference which way round they are etc. I feel like I’m fundamentally misunderstanding something that seems super obvious to everyone else sorry.

You have an open female end at the end of the chain. It's still a circuit with it, just like the open female plugs on a power strip.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The smart thing to do would be to use the male to male cord at the end of the chain to plug them all back into the internal wiring so you can reclaim any unused electricity. Saving a lot of money on your power bill for your xmas lights.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/TheTinaVasquez/status/1336512956172005379

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Inceltown posted:

The smart thing to do would be to use the male to male cord at the end of the chain to plug them all back into the internal wiring so you can reclaim any unused electricity. Saving a lot of money on your power bill for your xmas lights.

Saves you a ton of money on your heating bill too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Bape Culture posted:

The circuit is completed as a series of bulbs in parallel, or just a whole strand of bulbs in parallel, the socket at the end just provides 120V for another string.

Lights are quite a small load (especially now with LEDs) each string of lights has a specification for the number of additional strings that can be plugged in.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not... sure it's necessarily the best idea to tape an extension cord to the outside of your house.

Possibly better advised than the recent setup I saw where someone was running the washing machine off an extension cord sat on the draining board, but still ill advised.

The US uses a lower voltage, and generally has point-of-use GFIs to protect people touching wet energized stuff.

Plus 1/3 the US is a barren, hell-blasted desert packed full of suburb, where the rain never falls.

It may not be common for residential use in the UK, but I've certainly seen outdoor extension cords used for lighting at, e.g. the Glasgow Christmas Festival so it's not like this is a purely US phenomenon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:lol: We have a massive commercial-sized one of these stick blenders in the kitchen I work at, and it's called The Drilldo.

But yeah, if that tweet's legit, one close look at one of those should tell any man, no matter how clueless, that no woman wants the business end of that anywhere near her ladybits. :stare:

In a 6-3 ruling, SCOTUS says that Texas’ clinic restrictions are constitutional because this device is available.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

https://twitter.com/LHippopotamelan/status/1336455343023517696?s=19
I just think it's neat

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/jakevdp/status/1336343740235935744

https://twitter.com/joeheenan/status/1335635740110303236

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1336514865502908416

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not... sure it's necessarily the best idea to tape an extension cord to the outside of your house.

Possibly better advised than the recent setup I saw where someone was running the washing machine off an extension cord sat on the draining board, but still ill advised.

What's the problem with this if it's an outdoor rated extension cord? How are you supposed to hook up lights that aren't near the house?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

jonathan frakes:
"do you know anything about hackers?"
"can you jam with the console cowboys in cyberspace?"
"ever read neuromancer?"
"ever experience the new wave?"

it's a farce.
we made it up

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Lmao the tense music

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/vinn_ayy/status/1336178629450018817?s=20

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I just... don't understand stringing your lights the wrong way. I get the mechanics of it, but who the hell is stringing lights without looking at the loving ends first?

Someone who's never made that mistake before, okay, okay, fine

Well lookey here at this big shot who's never done something so profoundly stupid they wish that it had killed them.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Dungeon Ecology posted:

"ever experience the new wave?"

Duran Duran?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

colas posted:

Duran Duran?

In case you're being serious, they're probably referring to the New Wave of science fiction which was a shift in the genre in the 60s and 70s away from a focus on whiz-bang technology and Hard Men making Hard Decisions towards a more sociological and literary approach to the genre. It directly preceded the cyberpunk movement of the 80s.

Mr.Radar has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Dec 9, 2020

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

In case you're being serious, they're probably referring to the New Wave of science fiction which was a shift in the genre in the 60s and 70s away from a focus on whiz-bang technology and Hard Men making Hard Decisions towards a more sociological and literary approach to the genre. It directly preceded the cyberpunk movement of the 80s.

oh god, I have no mouth and I must scream, that story...jfc

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

El Mero Mero posted:

Well lookey here at this big shot who's never done something so profoundly stupid they wish that it had killed them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wanted to hate it because it's pretty hack, but gently caress if that dude didn't commit.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/Zari_Wari/status/1333799666161385478?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/RachelMComedy/status/1336702510740942848?s=20

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/bogswallop/status/1336344729773019140?s=21

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Do Americans not have earthing systems or what?

If I jumped in my bath with a toaster I wouldn't even feel a slight tingle before the power got shut off. Also pretty sure that connecting the two jacks in a wall socket to one another would do absolutely nothing without any resistance in between them.

Even old timey fuses protect against major surges etc.

In order to force an electronic fire you would need something to carefully overload the wires and let them build up heat in hopes that the dried out rubber casings catch fire. Devices that draw power from the USB system is great for this because people will get USB splitters to drat near infinity without considering that the power supply can only handle so much.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
this mf said earthing systems

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I do not have an earthing system. If I need something earthed I head over to the local earthery or earthatarium.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I have to use google translate for this stuff because jordfelsbrytare doesn't make sense here :v:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Computer all built using microcrisps, got a universal serial lorry, Lord and Serf drives...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Katt posted:

If I jumped in my bath with a toaster I wouldn't even feel a slight tingle before the power got shut off.

That’s ground fault circuit interruption at work. America has that.

Katt posted:

Also pretty sure that connecting the two jacks in a wall socket to one another would do absolutely nothing without any resistance in between them.

The key to why it’s different in America is that American homes are wired for two hundred and forty volts, but it’s split a hundred and twenty volts to ground one way and a hundred and twenty degrees the opposite. Major appliances tap into both phases and get the full two hundred and forty. Most wall sockets only have one phase and neutral and only have access to one hundred and twenty volts.

If such a cord were plugged into outlets that happened to be wired to opposite phases, you’d get a dead short across two hundred and forty volts. The circuit breakers should protect against this, but it’s not pretty.

Here is a long‐winded but well‐produced rant about the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMmUoZh3Hq4

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Dec 9, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As a non-electrician Brit who lives in the US, I think way too much about which power system I prefer from an end user point of view. It comes down to the rare but awful 'accidentally stepped on a UK plug' vs the '2 prong cable just fell out of the wall in the US' factors.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Katt posted:

If I jumped in my bath with a toaster I wouldn't even feel a slight tingle before the power got shut off.
This also assumes no idiot DIYer or lousy electrician has hosed up the wiring beyond hope. If I was in my Mom's semi-new house, I'd feel safe, but where I currently live, I wouldn't feel that confident.

Content (it's Canadian politics but don't need to know any context, just watch his hands):
https://twitter.com/gfinockio/status/1336459841552875520?s=20

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Katt posted:

I have to use google translate for this stuff because jordfelsbrytare doesn't make sense here :v:

Oh you have just said so. We have jordfelsbrytares for days. Pop out your mom and you get a hamburger, a handgun, and a handful of jordfelsbrytares.

What a delightful word. That’s way more fun than “ground”.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It literally translates as “ground fault breaker”. Bit verbose but does what is says on the tin.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My only regret is that the clip is too short.

https://twitter.com/BenjaminDewey/status/1334993733117341696

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Katt posted:

If I jumped in my bath with a toaster I wouldn't even feel a slight tingle before the power got shut off. Also pretty sure that connecting the two jacks in a wall socket to one another would do absolutely nothing without any resistance in between them.

Connecting wiring back together past two circuit breakers makes them not work for overload protection anymore. If you plug one of those cables into sockets that are on different breakers but the same electrical supply, current through the breakers can be under their limit while some wiring past them is over and starts a fire

GFCI would probably trip if one of them has a GFCI

EL BROMANCE posted:

As a non-electrician Brit who lives in the US, I think way too much about which power system I prefer from an end user point of view. It comes down to the rare but awful 'accidentally stepped on a UK plug' vs the '2 prong cable just fell out of the wall in the US' factors.
Picking a voltage+frequency that triggers muscles wasn't the best decision in hindight. Should have done power grids on 400Hz or something like that

Foxfire_ has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Dec 9, 2020

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I was really hoping they were about to break into Smack My Bitch Up, but what they played is good too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Katt posted:

In order to force an electronic fire you would need something to carefully overload the wires and let them build up heat in hopes that the dried out rubber casings catch fire. Devices that draw power from the USB system is great for this because people will get USB splitters to drat near infinity without considering that the power supply can only handle so much.

Americans I think do have special thingies in their bathroom sockets to stop them frying themselves, the UK I think does not, we just say you have to put the socket further away from a water source :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Foxfire_ posted:

Connecting wiring back together past two circuit breakers makes them not work for overload protection anymore. If you plug one of those cables into sockets that are on different breakers but the same electrical supply, current through the breakers can be under their limit while some wiring past them is over and starts a fire

GFCI would probably trip if one of them has a GFCI

Roll your own ring mains. Delightfully devilish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Then you’ll love this follow up:

https://twitter.com/dusttodigital/status/1329786496883302401?s=20