Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I remember even back in '01, Arcanum got some flack for giving males higher strength. But its OK you see, because on average men have larger frames and more muscle mass, but its balanced in game because women get higher constitution because of their higher tolerance to pain and general physical health that assists childbirth :biotruths:

e. relevant because its the sort of compromise that just made the internet explode that much more because its kind of insulting to both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Fried Watermelon posted:

I believe Oblivion gave Redguards(black people) a higher Athletic skill as well. Letting the player run faster and jump higher.

This comes up a lot in RPGs since pen-and-paper games do it all the time. Of course, not many of those have a race that's just "black people", but things still get uncomfortable.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

zedprime posted:

I remember even back in '01, Arcanum got some flack for giving males higher strength. But its OK you see, because on average men have larger frames and more muscle mass, but its balanced in game because women get higher constitution because of their higher tolerance to pain and general physical health that assists childbirth :biotruths:

e. relevant because its the sort of compromise that just made the internet explode that much more because its kind of insulting to both sides.

The Age of Conan MMO had a slower swing speed for female characters, by 25%. I think it was actually a scaling issue to do with having a smaller character model, but regardless of the intention, it made female characters significantly weaker than males.

This was nearly eight years ago, so I can only imagine the utter shitstorm that would have been unleashed if it had happened today.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It would be a minor thing until they fixed it. Then every brony and MRA would be complaining.

When that XCOM remake came out, there were people complaining that male and female soldiers had the same stats.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Memento posted:

The Age of Conan MMO had a slower swing speed for female characters, by 25%. I think it was actually a scaling issue to do with having a smaller character model, but regardless of the intention, it made female characters significantly weaker than males.

This was nearly eight years ago, so I can only imagine the utter shitstorm that would have been unleashed if it had happened today.
I think it was animation timing, which seems like an incredibly stupid thing to have your game balance depend on instead of the other way around. TERA supposedly has a sort of opposite problem where there's a race that entirely consists of young girls that do more damage than anyone else because their attack animations finish faster. Since TERA's also one of the most blatant cases of giving female characters string bikini plate armor, apparently the game's got a big pedo vibe now because of it.

Starsiege Tribes favored playing female characters since they had smaller models/hitboxes, though it feels like ages since a major competitive game made that mistake or even had the option.

TheKennedys posted:

A couple of the later old-school King's Quest games did this too - one of them (5 or 6 I think?) had a "here's the cool runic language of the bird people!" section of the manual that you had to look at to do a climbing puzzle like 2/3 of the way through the game. Seems like that was a pretty common thing back in the old adventure-game days before the internet, as a particularly annoying form of DRM designed to irritate people who can't keep track of manuals.
One of the original Prince of Persia games had interstitial levels where you had to drink a potion matching the letter on a particular page, line and # of letters from the start of the line then made you toke a hit of damage for every wrong guess. As a kid, I somehow could never figure out a consistent rule for whether title lines, subsections or figure descriptions counted and whether they were talking about the letter on the number or the next one, particularly if the line started with one of those oversized stylized letters. If I didn't get through the first level with a full 4 hit health bar, I usually wasn't going to survive that thing to reach the second level, even with the manual open in front of me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I might try giving that a shot. I don't really care too much about 100%ing it, if only because I'm more of a PS person, so having all my achievements in one spot is a thing to me. Still, good to know that it's not majorly important to the experience.

There is a huge jump in how much work there is involved between trying to get all the costumes+ Judith's spear and trying to 100% the game. There's really no need to go for 100%ing the game unless you're into that sort of thing.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Then you reload and try on unknown difficulty.

Not if you just control yourself and wait to do that on a second playthrough.

Minor spoiler, Takoluka, once you beat the game you can still load that save file and start over. And with GRADE you can pay to keep things from previous playthroughs like Bestiary completion, weapons, titles, artes, skills, and money. Or just pay to make the experience gain 10 times as large as normal.

Memento posted:

I kinda really want a PYF biotruth decision in games thread now.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 02:27 on Jan 21, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TheKennedys posted:

A couple of the later old-school King's Quest games did this too - one of them (5 or 6 I think?) had a "here's the cool runic language of the bird people!" section of the manual that you had to look at to do a climbing puzzle like 2/3 of the way through the game.

Yeah, that's 6.

The original Civilization has a similar thing where at a certain point you get quizzed on the tech tree and if you answer wrong then your entire army gets disbanded. I kind of liked it because (depending on what was going on at the time) you could often recover from it, and if you'd played the game enough you'd just know the answer. Also, it gave you two chances, which was nice.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
In old DRM scenarios, Leisure Suit Larrys 1 & 3 both have age verification tests at the beginning to be allowed to play. It mostly consisted of trivia you'd only expect adults to know, or more specifically, American adults from the time of the games' releases.

So sorry if you're foreign or born after 1975 or so. Though we had a teacher that would let us play if we could get past the questions, and I read a lot of old MAD Magazine, so... :smug:

I could have sworn that if you got them all right the game accused you of cheating, and didn't let you play but I can't find anything confirming that.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

This comes up a lot in RPGs since pen-and-paper games do it all the time. Of course, not many of those have a race that's just "black people", but things still get uncomfortable.

ahem

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Where it's really noticeable is when they deliberately try to draw parallels to real-world racism. Like, you're supposed to think this guy is an arsehole because he says dwarfs are naturally bad at magic and that's just stupid prejudice... except that it says right in character creation that dwarfs get a 20% penalty to magic

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah, I love pen and paper RPGs but man you gotta wash the slime off the hobby with a fire-hose sometimes. I'm looking at you, "-4 STR" meme. You can go jump in the trash along with FATAL.

Edit: On topic though, I like the white phantom in the Dark Souls 2 DLC who emotes waves and other friendly things at you, is completely non-aggressive, and then backstabs you when you try and pull a lever. That guy was pretty great.

inkblot has a new favorite as of 08:57 on Jan 21, 2016

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I've got one from The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (specifically the Afterbirth expansion).

A character got added in an update: the Keeper. He's pretty much a joke/challenge run character because of how lovely he is (replacing the previous joke/challenge run character, The Lost, who got buffed a bit if you grind a certain unlock for him)

You see, the Keeper doesn't have health - he has 'health coins' . Two health coins to be exact, and he loses one whenever he takes damage. If he loses both, he's dead. This is basically equivalent to starting out with only one heart container - and there is literally no way to upgrade it. He heals by picking up pennies (which then aren't added to his penny total, incidentally). Hearts don't even spawn (turning into 'friendly flies' instead), which renders a whole slew of items (in this random-item generated roguelike) completely useless. And just to add to the aggravation, a bunch of other objects/items that are supposed to give you coins have been specifically hardcoded to be a lot effective for the Keeper. He's also the slowest character (without upgrades), and has the lowest starting luck. He starts with triple shot (which is good) and a crap firing rate (which is bad). I've died more times with this character than all others put together.

So basically, any run with the Keeper is going to be a painful experience and it doesn't take much to kill you or otherwise screw up the whole run.

There's a secret boss in the game, Hush, who can only be reached by getting through a large chunk of the game in under 30 minutes. This is already really hard to do with the Keeper, since you tend to have to play him super-safe (or have gotten lucky with insane item combos). If you somehow manage this, you then have to fight him. He starts off acting similarly to one of the final bosses, but after you beat that, he assumes his 'true form', a bullet-hell spewing, monster spawning giant head with damage resistance (ie, if you have a high damage stat, he just compensates by having more health). You're in for a marathon fight and unless you have godly defensive items then you'd better hope your dodging skills are REAL good.

So what do you unlock for beating him?

"Keeper now holds a penny"

That's right, now with every subsequent run as the Keeper you get to start with 1 penny, which is next to worthless. Woo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr_Amazing posted:

It would be a minor thing until they fixed it. Then every brony and MRA would be complaining.

When that XCOM remake came out, there were people complaining that male and female soldiers had the same stats.

Hell there were people complaining that there were female soldiers in the game at all.

There's also an achievement for finishing a mission with a squad made entirely of women. I can't help but get the feeling this was put in specifically to troll MRAs.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Where it's really noticeable is when they deliberately try to draw parallels to real-world racism. Like, you're supposed to think this guy is an arsehole because he says dwarfs are naturally bad at magic and that's just stupid prejudice... except that it says right in character creation that dwarfs get a 20% penalty to magic
Shadowrun Returns has a weird blurb in the race description for Trolls (I think Trolls?) saying that the idea that they’re stupid and have low intelligence is racism with no basis in fact, right below the stats showing that they have low starting and max Intelligence.

On another note, black people in TES get a bonus to their Blunt skill, which amuses me because I am a child.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Shadowrun Returns has a weird blurb in the race description for Trolls (I think Trolls?) saying that the idea that they’re stupid and have low intelligence is racism with no basis in fact, right below the stats showing that they have low starting and max Intelligence.

Orcs and trolls have lower maximum intelligence but the same starting intelligence as every other race. Basically you're probably not going to run into any troll super scientists, but your average troll on the street is as smart as the average human.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If they really wanted to make a statement, they should have the same max intelligence as anybody else, but low starting points because of the lack of opportunities and the poor quality of public education available to inner-city orcs.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RandomFerret posted:

If they really wanted to make a statement, they should have the same max intelligence as anybody else, but low starting points because of the lack of opportunities and the poor quality of public education available to inner-city orcs.

that would require anyone involved in writing a Shadowrun property to put any amount if thought into something, especially in regards to blindly throwing D&D poo poo into cyberpunk

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

RandomFerret posted:

This is actually how I flavor character creation in games that I DM regardless of system. Basically anyone can pick whatever race they want to play, and then pick racial traits from a different race if they want, and we flavor it as a difference in the typical background/opportunities/upbringings available to that ethnic group.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

foobardog posted:

In old DRM scenarios, Leisure Suit Larrys 1 & 3 both have age verification tests at the beginning to be allowed to play. It mostly consisted of trivia you'd only expect adults to know, or more specifically, American adults from the time of the games' releases.

So sorry if you're foreign or born after 1975 or so. Though we had a teacher that would let us play if we could get past the questions, and I read a lot of old MAD Magazine, so... :smug:

I could have sworn that if you got them all right the game accused you of cheating, and didn't let you play but I can't find anything confirming that.
I ran across these while going through the Infocom cabinet in the Internet Archive, which is a great look into how classic adventure games were designed.

The text since it's hard to read:

quote:

Steve-
A suggestion concerning X-rated version of LGOP [Leather Goddesses of Phobos]: When I've mentioned this to others in the company, they've indicated a concern that parents would object to kids getting into the X-rated parts. A corny solutions which could be a good marketing gimmick would be to make it "child-proof." Essentially the only way to get into X mode would be for an adult to answer a question only adults know answers for - "Name of Wisconsin senator who initiated communist witch-hunt during the 1950's." "City in which Kennedy was killed,"* or some such.

Another possibilty would allow a parent to turn off X-ratedness forever (would have to allow writing to master disk though).

What do you think?
-Mike

*Location of U.S. on world map (just kidding)

I've never played the game so I don't know if there was some sort of proto-DRM included. I do remember my parents having a copy of some Roger Rabbit game for the PC that included a decoder ring of sorts for the purpose of getting past the theft-protection. I remember playing with the ring, playing a little bit of the game, then promptly misplacing the ring and preventing me from playing the game ever again.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

foobardog posted:

I don't know about Monkey Island, but the first Telltale Sam & Max season had that as their gag. Sam and Max had been pestering the shop keep for all sorts of stupid poo poo he didn't have throughout the season. In the last episodes in the season, they ask about things that would have been useful in the earlier episodes, and he has them all and they just never asked, to their chagrin.
There's a very tempting (bloody) chainsaw hung with the knives in the Maniac Mansion kitchen, but when you try to use it, you're told, "It's out of fuel." There is no chainsaw fuel in the entire game.

A whole game later, in Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, you're on Mars, of all places, when you come across a can of chainsaw fuel (specifically!) in a storage locker. When you tell your avatar to pick it up, they turn to the screen and say, "I don't need that. It's for a different game." Then they give you the shittiest smarmiest smirk three pixels can achieve.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I remember Hugo's House of Horrors having trivia questions like that near the end of the game, it made the game effectively impossible for me to complete until the internet came along.

"What was the name of Roy Rodger's Dog?" was the biggest brick wall in a game that I've ever encountered before or since

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

LawfulWaffle posted:

I've never played the game so I don't know if there was some sort of proto-DRM included. I do remember my parents having a copy of some Roger Rabbit game for the PC that included a decoder ring of sorts for the purpose of getting past the theft-protection. I remember playing with the ring, playing a little bit of the game, then promptly misplacing the ring and preventing me from playing the game ever again.

Leather Goddesses of Phobos I think, eventually just asked you how raunchy you wanted it, no hoops. What it did have, and what I still find great is a way to let the player select their gender. As the game started, one of the first things your character wants to do is go to the bathroom. You can pick either door, and then the game will just assign that gender to you for the rest of the game. It mainly affects the love interest you meet later in the game.

Sure, today some of us would probably complain about it being biased towards heterosexuality and against non-binary people, as well as transphobic (I think your genitals are also determined by this choice). But for 1986, it was pretty drat good! And considering the game takes place in 1936 Middle America, it's probably realistic enough for the time.

e: Looked it up. The default mode was named "suggestive", and was about PG-13, and could be moved to "tame" (PG) or "lewd" (R). Moving to "lewd" asked if you were 18 or older, but didn't test you on it.

e2: Sorry, not love interest. Sidekick character, who matched your gender.

foobardog has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Jan 22, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hell there were people complaining that there were female soldiers in the game at all.

There's also an achievement for finishing a mission with a squad made entirely of women. I can't help but get the feeling this was put in specifically to troll MRAs.

But... the original game had female soldiers that were identically statted to male soldiers as well! They're criticising a remake for doing the same thing as the original :psyduck:

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The chances of a soldier being female was 1/4, with the other 3/4 being dude soldiers. People modded the game so it'd be 50/50, and then I believe a patch was put out that also made it 50/50.

The next game they just let you design everyone no matter what.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Hirayuki posted:

There's a very tempting (bloody) chainsaw hung with the knives in the Maniac Mansion kitchen, but when you try to use it, you're told, "It's out of fuel." There is no chainsaw fuel in the entire game.

A whole game later, in Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, you're on Mars, of all places, when you come across a can of chainsaw fuel (specifically!) in a storage locker. When you tell your avatar to pick it up, they turn to the screen and say, "I don't need that. It's for a different game." Then they give you the shittiest smarmiest smirk three pixels can achieve.

There's something similar in the original Fallout games - you spend all of Fallout 1 looking for a water chip, and then in Fallout 2 one of the vaults you find that supposedly has the GECK you need instead has crates filled with hundreds and hundreds of water chips.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

foobardog posted:

Sure, today some of us would probably complain about it being biased towards heterosexuality and against non-binary people, as well as transphobic (I think your genitals are also determined by this choice). But for 1986, it was pretty drat good!
Let's be honest here, it's still a lot better than what most games do. There are obviously games where the protagonist has to be a specific person because who they are is an important part of the story, but there are so many games that could easily have the option to choose your character's race and gender that just don't bother.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

boy oh boy they sure did troll us nerds who play video games

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Lizard Wizard posted:

Nope, just run faster. Acrobatics lets you jump higher, but Redguards don't naturally have that.

I still love how your first probation was for literally pointing out that they did that poo poo without any other commentary

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

pussy riot police posted:

I still love how your first probation was for literally pointing out that they did that poo poo without any other commentary

To be fair to the mod, without context it sounds like a stupid joke, not something a game developer actually did.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Speaking of Elder Scrolls,

In Skyrim one of the Theives Guild gives you an artifact called The Skeleton Key. It will open any lock without breaking.

You get it for about one mission and then they take it away for "story" reasons.

In the previous game you get to keep it forever.

I guess you can keep it forever but you'd need to never complete that specific quest.

Of course you can get a perk later on that prevents ANY lockpick from breaking, removing the usefulness and uniqueness of the Skeleton Key

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

it's also required for the oblivion walker achievement(obtain 15 daedric artifacts)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Fried Watermelon posted:

In Skyrim one of the Theives Guild gives you an artifact called The Skeleton Key. It will open any lock without breaking.

You get it for about one mission and then they take it away for "story" reasons.

I guess you can keep it forever but you'd need to never complete that specific quest.

Of course you can get a perk later on that prevents ANY lockpick from breaking, removing the usefulness and uniqueness of the Skeleton Key

This also does indeed count as the relevant deity's artifact, so if you're going for the achievement for getting all of them you have to do the whole lovely Thieves' Guild questline.

e:fb

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

elder scrolls 5: good game?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wow, they uh, really should have made them Misc like all the other guild sidequests huh? And, y'know, not mandatory to get the questline's real reward.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Maybe, but to be fair it wasn't the first time I had done it and I think my steam account is sitting at 1017 hours played.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fried Watermelon posted:

That reminds me of something Oblivion did with the daedric artifacts.

Part of the main quest requires having to collect and sacrifice one of the fifteen artifacts you can get as rewards for the fifteen daedric quests. I think it's an understated bit of quality in the main quest, because it's forcing you to pick something to not have; it's an interesting thing for a game so focused on letting the player amass personal power to do, and I really like that they did it. Of course, all the daedric shrines are scattered about the countryside, so just to help you out they give you the location of the closest one, Azura's.

The troll: Azura's Star, the reward from that shrine, is probably the most unambiguously, generally useful unique item in the entire game, by way of being an infinitely reusable soul gem. Literally every character could make use of that, yet the game doesn't do a good job of telling you that you can sacrifice any other items, nor is it really that clear what Azura's Star does without some experimentation (or just looking it up). And it's not like Azura's Star was stronger than they expected, since it did exactly the same thing in Morrowind and was amazing there too.

Basically, Oblivion tells you to destroy one of the game's fifteen most sought-after unique quest rewards, and does so by greatly encouraging you to sacrifice possibly the most powerful one on offer.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Jan 22, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hyperlynx posted:

But... the original game had female soldiers that were identically statted to male soldiers as well! They're criticising a remake for doing the same thing as the original :psyduck:

Never underestimate the ability of Reddit MRAs to get irrationally angry over the stupidest poo poo possible.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

im pooping! posted:

it's also required for the oblivion walker achievement(obtain 15 daedric artifacts)

Actually it doesn't count at all, and the other 16 do.

This includes the mutually exclusive ones like the Ring of Hircine and the Savior's Hide.

Obv. there exist glitches to get both because Bethesda.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

actually apparently the mask of clavicus vile doesn't count if Dawnguard is installed which causes the problem

also i had no real problem getting rid of the skeleton key shortly after i obtained it because i used the easy lockpick mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

im pooping! posted:

elder scrolls 5: good game?

There are people who didn't save scum on that poo poo? I mean, by that point in the game you're probably rich enough to not have to worry about earning the cash during those jobs, and it's too much of a waste of time to not scum for jobs in the places you need.

• Locked thread